• 1(current)
  • Next 
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Belfry 2015
well after back to back titles and being in the championship game the last 5yrs can the Pirates make it to there 6straight title game and make it a 3 peak?i know both Central and Belfry was fairly young, and both return 7-8 starters from this years team,but we know with Boyle and Lex Cath its going to get tougher.for Belfry I think the defense will be solid again, but on the offense side is my concern, losing Hatfield and Taylor(there the only 2 that really moved the ball on Central)who can come close to taking those roles and getting that production?then a couple main guys on the offensive line will be gone as well(who steps up for them?with Corbett probally the starter the next 2 yrs will Haywood maybe run option out of the spread(seems harder to stop with passing qb)I really like the schedule for next yr as it will show the Pirates just about everthing they will see next yr in 3a....thanks to the seniors for there hard work and for another title,already looking forward to next season..GO PIRATES
Starter's Leaving

Offense:
QB Keaton Taylor
FB Austin Hatfield
C Mackey Francis
RG Drew Mullins

Defense:
LB Dakota Stanley
LB Austin Hatfield
CB Keaton Taylor
SS Kaleb Edwards

Obviously you can't replace Austin Hatfield. He is a special player and the best FB for my money to suit up as a Pirate. Fletcher and Wellman both have a lot of potential, but Austin Hatfield is a once every 25-50 years type of player.

- Losing Taylor on offense is a big loss, but I honestly think Belfry could potentially be more dangerous at the QB position with Corbett and his skill set. With that said, big time work for Corbett to learn the offense, get stronger, work on his passing, and most importantly master his ball handling and reads in game situations. I could see Corbett being a special player, but his work has to begin right now. Lose two great linemen in Mullins and Francis with LOTS of starting experience. I swear Mackey Francis has been there 6 years. The Preece kid is a good looking linemen and will be solid at Center...need t find someone ready to be the next in line at Guard.

- Defensively Belfry will be nasty. That Front 5 is loaded with multi-year starters and unbelievable talent. Secondary will be fine. Losing Taylor and Edwards hurts, but with Belfry's injury issues in the secondary this year the silver lining is guys who stepped up (Varney) and guys who played valuable reps in big games (Woolum, Willis, Corbett). Replacing those LB's is the big question... probably the biggest question beside how to cope with losing Hatfield at FB.

What I think is the best case scenario...

It begins with Noah Corbett. If Corbett can bust his tail from December until the start of next season Belfry has potential to be very good and dangerous offensively. Catron and Willis will improve at HB and become assets in the run game. Either Fletcher or Woolum step up as a serviceable and consistent FB who always protects the ball. One or more of Belfry's freakish Freshman athletes turn into receiving threats and form a chemistry with Corbett along with Woolum/Wellman. Hunter and Adkins either could fill that role and give Belfry a deep threat. Hunter especially is a kind I could see growing into a big time playmaker.

Defensively Sanger and Wellman assume the roles of LB'ers and don't skip a beat. The Webb kid develops into a solid Noseguard to allow Sanger's move. In the secondary Varney pushes himself to be the shutdown CB that Keaton was.

Special Teams HAS to improve. Kicking is good but can be better.... but a longsnapper needs to emerge and the Punt Return team has to become night and day better. Had Belfry lost yesterday Punt Return would be a large reason why giving up 75-80 yards of field position by not fielding punts.
EKUAlum05 Wrote:Starter's Leaving

Offense:
QB Keaton Taylor
FB Austin Hatfield
C Mackey Francis
RG Drew Mullins

Defense:
LB Dakota Stanley
LB Austin Hatfield
CB Keaton Taylor
SS Kaleb Edwards

Obviously you can't replace Austin Hatfield. He is a special player and the best FB for my money to suit up as a Pirate. Fletcher and Wellman both have a lot of potential, but Austin Hatfield is a once every 25-50 years type of player.

- Losing Taylor on offense is a big loss, but I honestly think Belfry could potentially be more dangerous at the QB position with Corbett and his skill set. With that said, big time work for Corbett to learn the offense, get stronger, work on his passing, and most importantly master his ball handling and reads in game situations. I could see Corbett being a special player, but his work has to begin right now. Lose two great linemen in Mullins and Francis with LOTS of starting experience. I swear Mackey Francis has been there 6 years. The Preece kid is a good looking linemen and will be solid at Center...need t find someone ready to be the next in line at Guard.

- Defensively Belfry will be nasty. That Front 5 is loaded with multi-year starters and unbelievable talent. Secondary will be fine. Losing Taylor and Edwards hurts, but with Belfry's injury issues in the secondary this year the silver lining is guys who stepped up (Varney) and guys who played valuable reps in big games (Woolum, Willis, Corbett). Replacing those LB's is the big question... probably the biggest question beside how to cope with losing Hatfield at FB.

What I think is the best case scenario...

It begins with Noah Corbett. If Corbett can bust his tail from December until the start of next season Belfry has potential to be very good and dangerous offensively. Catron and Willis will improve at HB and become assets in the run game. Either Fletcher or Woolum step up as a serviceable and consistent FB who always protects the ball. One or more of Belfry's freakish Freshman athletes turn into receiving threats and form a chemistry with Corbett along with Woolum/Wellman. Hunter and Adkins either could fill that role and give Belfry a deep threat. Hunter especially is a kind I could see growing into a big time playmaker.

Defensively Sanger and Wellman assume the roles of LB'ers and don't skip a beat. The Webb kid develops into a solid Noseguard to allow Sanger's move. In the secondary Varney pushes himself to be the shutdown CB that Keaton was.

Special Teams HAS to improve. Kicking is good but can be better.... but a longsnapper needs to emerge and the Punt Return team has to become night and day better. Had Belfry lost yesterday Punt Return would be a large reason why giving up 75-80 yards of field position by not fielding punts.

Not sure who the Webb kid could be?
Belfry0304 Wrote:Not sure who the Webb kid could be?

Whitt
This may sound ridiculous when a team just lost hatfield but I look for belfry to be better next year. I don't see many 3a teams putting up to many points on that defense.
Not so sure Haywood will want to move Sanger out of the NG role. Late in the year he was pretty great there. But based on my knowledge of the roster, it seems to be the best utilization of personnel to go Wellman and Sanger at LB. Derek Wellman is the guy EKU is confused on. Soph to be LB/FB. If Fletcher ever wants to be a big part of the team, he better watch Wellman on his back at FB.

The secondary could be interesting IMO. Lots of good pieces. Obviously Varney will return and likely turn into a lock down corner. We all know that the most growth is between Frosh and Soph year. Devin Varney is already 6' and athletic as hell. He will only get stronger and faster. Willis also returns at CB but you have to think Woolum and Hunter provide great competition there. Catron is a mainstay at one safety. Corbett played a lot at the other and would be a great choice but I think Woolum (if not at corner) or Adkins will be very capable.

Beyond the competition at FB and those I mentioned above, it is pretty well returned. Dove, Young, Whitt, and more will all be key contributors.

There is so much to be excited about. Without Hatfield (and it isn't fair to expect Wellman or Fletcher to be that good), Belfry will need to be a little more balanced. I personally expect Catron to be the go to guy when you need 3 yards next year. Corbett though is the wild card. If he improves substantially, he has the talent to make Belfry very good.
^ BTW. Didn't mention Horton/Bentley/Dotson/etc.

We all know those kids are powerhouses and will only improve. The o-line has to fill two spots but Mullins G role will be easily filled as several guys played a fair amount there this past year. Just have to find a center which they will. The oline will be STRONG with Gibbs/Dotson/Scott/Bentley (TE) leading the way and representing more size than anyone in 3a (and competitive with all classes) will have.
when playoff times come in 2015,to win the championship you will have to beat the belfry pirates.plain and simple!!!!
Belfry really will be very good. Call me evil for mentioning it, but the key question will be whether or not this years late season formula can work again. I have confidence that the defense can be just as good (if not better) against 3A teams. Offensively though, Belfry will need to utilize their wing backs more more effectively late in the year and be able to throw a tad IMO.

Hatfield graduates ya know.

Catron and Willis should take it a "tad" as a challenge that they really weren't trusted to make plays when the tough got really though in the final. Haywood was proven right in his gameplan, but those guys will need to be big time playmakers next year in big games.

Corbett is the X factor. If he can throw on the same level as Warren and run the show like Taylor - Belfry will be tough to beat.

The road to a 3 peat starts Monday.
PaytoPlay Wrote:Belfry really will be very good. Call me evil for mentioning it, but the key question will be whether or not this years late season formula can work again. I have confidence that the defense can be just as good (if not better) against 3A teams. Offensively though, Belfry will need to utilize their wing backs more more effectively late in the year and be able to throw a tad IMO.

Hatfield graduates ya know.

Catron and Willis should take it a "tad" as a challenge that they really weren't trusted to make plays when the tough got really though in the final. Haywood was proven right in his gameplan, but those guys will need to be big time playmakers next year in big games.

Corbett is the X factor. If he can throw on the same level as Warren and run the show like Taylor - Belfry will be tough to beat.

The road to a 3 peat starts Monday.

after they game Central coach said that Belfry ran there formations different from the past games they played against each other, and like I said in the start of the thread,the way I hear Corbett can pass and run,would Haywood go to a spread option,as it would put a lot more pressure of the defense..
what they need on the team they go get from wv that what they have all way dont all these year
^ Ok. You want to cry about it, cry. Your a joke.

Who is your team and who are their good players so I can start recruiting them. Seriously, list them.
Reddog00 Wrote:what they need on the team they go get from wv that what they have all way dont all these year

You're a jack ass
Reddog00 Wrote:what they need on the team they go get from wv that what they have all way dont all these year

What u need go get edumacation go get learnin punctuation all these year maybe they need better :hilarious:

We will take a year off in 2015 from going across the river. We loaded. And btw, I couldn't hardly read your BS statement, not because it was an uneducated pile of crap, but because the shine from my newest ring was blinding me lol:moon:
The truth of the matter is, we have never recruited. Driving really slowly through Williamson with our hands on our car window and 4 rings on in December isn't REALLY recruiting.
Anyways, I anticipate Derek Wellman being a big time name for us next year. The Horton kid is supposedly pretty good too.
Belfry0304 Wrote:The truth of the matter is, we have never recruited. Driving really slowly through Williamson with our hands on our car window and 4 rings on in December isn't REALLY recruiting.

You also can't blame them for wanting to be a part of the KY educational system. The local school for many in the Williamson area would require a 45 minute bus ride one way to Mingo Central compared to a 3 minute drive down 119.
Where would you want to play at if you had your choice? Tug valley, Mingo Central, or Belfry? Who would you want to play for? Clusky, Kinder, or Haywood? People give it up WE DONT RECRUIT PLAYERS! They come to us, and if your honest with yourself you can't blame them.

this quote comes from a Pikeville panther fan.if I lived in wv.and had a son that wanted to play football you can bet whatever I had to do to make him legal in the state of ky his butt would be playing for coach phillip haywood and the belfry pirates.the pond creek nation is first class.case closed!!!!!!
My early prediction of 2015 belfry is they lose 1 regular season game and 3 peat over one of the new 3A west teams.

And 2016 belfry goes undefeated and is quite possibly the best belfry team of all time And dismantles central. to soon? TongueirateSho
ethand Wrote:this quote comes from a Pikeville panther fan.if I lived in wv.and had a son that wanted to play football you can bet whatever I had to do to make him legal in the state of ky his butt would be playing for coach phillip haywood and the belfry pirates.the pond creek nation is first class.case closed!!!!!!

Um, no.

[Image: http://www.usa-traffic-signs.com/v/vspfi...ay24-2.gif]
I'll take a shot:

QB: Corbett (Jr.)/Adkins (So.)/Browning (Fr.)
FB: Fletcher (Jr.)/Wellman (So.)
RB: Catron (Jr.)/Varney (So.)/Hunter (So.)
RB: Willis (Sr.)/Adkins (So.)
TE: Bentley (Jr.)/Braxton Miller (So.)
SE: Woolum (Jr.)/Dotson (Sr.)/Dev. Wellman (Sr.)
T: Dotson (Jr.)/???
G: Scott (Jr.)/??
C: Wolford (Jr.)/??
GTonguereece (Jr.)/??
T: Gibbs (Sr.)/???

DE: Hall (Jr.)/??
DT: Horton (Jr.)/?
NG: Whitt (Jr.)/??
DT: Bentley (Jr.)/Dove (Jr.)
DE: Dotson (Sr.)/??
LB: Sanger (Sr.)/??
LB: Wellman (So.)/Young (Jr.)
CB: Varney (So.)/Hunter (So.)
CB: Woolum (Jr.)/Willis (So.)
S: Catron (Jr.)/Dev. Wellman (Sr.)
S: Adkins (So.)/Corbett (Sr.)

K: Woolum (Jr.)/??
P: Dev. Wellman (Sr.)/??

The only FROSH I listed was the incoming QB. I am not familiar enough with the other incoming kids to know which if any of them may make the depth chart and contribute on Friday nights.

I bolded the returning starters. A couple of kids I didn't bold did start a number of games (see Sanger).

I hope some of you guys can offer your take. There may be kids I am not as familiar with as some of you.
DALE Wrote:You also can't blame them for wanting to be a part of the KY educational system. The local school for many in the Williamson area would require a 45 minute bus ride one way to Mingo Central compared to a 3 minute drive down 119.

:lame:
Love the 45 Minute Bus ride argument...But, it's a 30 Minute ride
at the max...rode the bus 10+ times there my senior year. Only got near
40 Minutes if we got behind a coal truck on Buffalo Mountain.....

But Congrats the Belfry nonetheless, Success defines where individuals wish
to go to school.If you have the chance to play under a successful program, why wouldn't you?
^ With Mingo having a good year, I think it might be less about "successful program" as it simply is a distance thing. Say what you want, but 30-40 minutes (to MCHS) vs. 5 minutes (to BHS) from Williamson is a big difference. If I were a parent who wanted to take my kid to school or had a driving age son, I'd rather the drive be 5 minutes.
MCMiner247 Wrote::lame:
Love the 45 Minute Bus ride argument...But, it's a 30 Minute ride
at the max...rode the bus 10+ times there my senior year. Only got near
40 Minutes if we got behind a coal truck on Buffalo Mountain.....

But Congrats the Belfry nonetheless, Success defines where individuals wish
to go to school.If you have the chance to play under a successful program, why wouldn't you?

People also still ignore the fact that Belfry only had one player who transferred there out of state as a High School Student on their Championship Roster and he saw very limited snaps.

The other side of the coin is exposure and competition as well in comparison by state.

According to Rivals.com of the Current Senior Class:
Kentucky- 34 Kids with Division 1 Offers (FCS/FBS).
West Virginia- 7 Kids with Division 1 Offers (FCS/FBS)

KY- 20 Kids Committed to Division 1 Schools ( 19 FBS, 2 FCS)
WV- 7 Kids committed to Divison 1 Schools (5 FBS, 2 FCS)

According to Rivals.com of Last Year's Senior Class:
KY- 24 Kids Committed to Division 1 Schools (22 FBS, 2 FCS)
WV- 3 Kids Committed to Division 1 Schools (1 FBS, 2 FCS)

If I am the parent of a Ray Horton or a Noah Corbett and I aspire to see my kid have the best chance to get recruited to earn a full scholarship I am definitely looking at Kentucky when they are younger. The Middle School System is far advanced in terms of structure and competition. The High School is going to play stronger teams and allow them to face better talent. I also know they stand a better chance academically of earning qualifying grades.
any word on 2015 schedule for the pirates?
scrappy coco Wrote:any word on 2015 schedule for the pirates?
So far:
Tates Creek- PCB
Pikeville
Johnson Central
Knoxville Catholic, TN
Harlan County

Pike Central
Sheldon Clark
Lawrence County

Tried to re-schedule Southwestern but could not make a date work. No more Gallia Academy. No More CAK.

Still needing two more games.
Knoxville Catholic is very interesting. They look very strong based on this past season's results.
  • 1(current)
  • Next