•  Previous
  • 2(current)
  • Next 
  Thread Closed
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mayfield 28 Williamsburg 27 OT - 1A State Championship
Sitting here at "Smokey Bones" discussing the game with 4 Mayfield fans!! what a game!! I was sure pulling for Williamsburg but it just wasn't to be.

Congratulations jackets on a great season!!!

Good luck seniors!!
Heart breaks for WBurg. Very impressed by the Jackets.

Mayfield simply made the big plays and capitalizes when the ball bounced their way. Sign of a great program. They certainly weren't as good as many were hyping them up as, but at the end of the day they earned their championship by getting the job done when it mattered.
Someone had better check on 64SUR.. This game may have sent him off the deep end....Confusednicker:
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Living The Dream!!
This may not have been Mayfield's best team over the years...but it reinforces the mantra that you cannot make mistakes against Mayfield and expect to win the football game. It's that simple. They are as well coached as any team in the state. If they cannot overpower you, they will wait for you to make a mistake.
Congrats to Mayfield, and the Burg,fanbases, but to the boys that layed it out on the field, again there is not any losers when you play the way you all did we both hope to be back in BG next year. What A final in 2015 the Beechies and the Burg
panther nation Wrote:Someone had better check on 64SUR.. This game may have sent him off the deep end....Confusednicker:

God love him, he was worried to death about his son during this game. He received a call that he had gotten sick, so he was outta there soon after the ending whistle!!!
Tica Wrote:This may not have been Mayfield's best team over the years...but it reinforces the mantra that you cannot make mistakes against Mayfield and expect to win the football game. It's that simple. They are as well coached as any team in the state. If they cannot overpower you, they will wait for you to make a mistake.

And some good luck!
oldcardfan Wrote:Congrats to Mayfield, and the Burg,fanbases, but to the boys that layed it out on the field, again there is not any losers when you play the way you all did we both hope to be back in BG next year. What A final in 2015 the Beechies and the Burg

Williamsburg will not be back this was there last shot at itConfusedilly:
I can say without a doubt that I was absolutely wrong about this Williamsburg bunch. I was amazed how much the addition of a strong running back could change everything for them on the offensive side. It opened up their passing game and that was highlighted by one of the best catches I've ever seen live at the high school level. They showed a lot of heart. I have never felt worse for anyone than I do for williamsburg's kicker. It's easy to tell kids that one play doesn't make a difference, but I'm sure he's obsessing over those two kicks and will be.

On the other side, Mayfield didn't play their best game and part of that is credited to Williamsburg. Different aspects of Mayfield's team had to show up big and they did. That's the big disadvantage teams have in state title games when they play teams that have been there done that for many years. Panic never set in and despite not playing to potential, mayfield did what great programs do, they found a way to overcome it. When part of their game wasn't working, other players stepped up and they were able to take advantage of a few mistakes that ultimately won them this game.

Griffith was as good as advertised and I missed that watching them last year in this game. Shelton solidified himself as one of the better recievers and I'm sure many were watching him for college options. Williamsburg's front was the aspect of this that I was interested in because all the conversations were revolved around their line being blown-out last season and they were. However, they held their own in this one and all of them should be proud in how they played and competed.

I do think Bright will end up becoming a division 1 running back. Many times people will look to stats to determine that, but he has as much upside as any running back I've seen this year. His skill level will improve and so will his mental game, and he should have several division 1 offers by the time he graduates.

I thought we seen the best game yesterday but obviously they're only getting better, and I don't see anyone topping this one. However, this second quarter of the 4A game is half over and highlands is turning the momentum. So this one could end up being just as good.
wiznut Wrote:Williamsburg will not be back this was there last shot at itConfusedilly:

this senior class was more like an all star team, with over half never playing in the Williamsburg feeder system.
Williamsburg 8th grade state championship team had several good athletes,+ 7 kids off the Corbin 8th grade championship team that same year, + the best athlete in Harlan County and probably one of the best in southeast KY. Williamsburg will still be competitive but nowhere the caliber of the last 3 or 4 years. Teams like this come along maybe once in a coaches lifetime.
wiznut Wrote:Williamsburg will not be back this was there last shot at itConfusedilly:

Nut your bunch improved to second best in the county. Congrats.
Great game. Mayfield showed why their trophy case is full. Very well coached disciplined team. Williamsburg played their hearts out and gave themselves to bring a big trophy of their own home. Congrats to Mayfield. Very classy bunch who I'm lad to see moving out of 1A.
Wow what a game. Very impressed with the burg. I was as nervous as prostitute on judgement day. No loser in this game in my book. I never thought id pull for the winning team, and still feel like i need bbq sauce for crow. Definitly not mayfields best game, but the yellow jackets had alot to do with that. Folks they where the real deal. Future looks bright for mayfield with alot of skill players. Kinda wish the burg wasnt losing so much so they would have another shot.
Guess the gap is closing after all. Raceland and Williamsburg wete BOTH better than they showed in the semis. Williamsburg grew alot from the semis to the Finals though. This game makes me feel better about the loss in the semis. we didnt play our best, but at our best, idk if we could have beaten the Wburg that was in BG tonight. Imo, having to adjust to our speed defensively helped prepare Williamsburg for MF's (mayfield is faster than us im not saying we r better than MF). But having seen all of the semi final games now (live and on film) i feel confident that the top 4 teams were the ones that made it to the semis. the east DID close the gap and. I think the East gets back the hardware next season. congrats to MF, big kudos to Williamsburg. What a great game and great 1A season!!!
Beechwood returns alot scotty.

The reports of our death have been greatly exaggerated...
That was a great game. This time I felt like we got our money's worth. I had family down from northern Indiana around the Chicago area. My brother in law said this was the best game he ever saw. Now quash the talk about Ky being weak please.

Congrats to the burg, that is how you play a championship football game. I guess this is 2 weeks in a row that we are gonna have people feeling the better team lost. When it comes down to it, you just have to take the win or the loss and move on. In that game, I had already accepted that if we did lose, I was still happy with our showing. So, I would say the jackets have to be okay with it to because they made it a dog fight.

On a side note, please pray for 64. He texted me that he had to leave due to a family emergency. I think he could use our thoughts and prayers.
Hope everything is ok w 64
Hell of a game.
mysonis55 Wrote:That was a great game. This time I felt like we got our money's worth. I had family down from northern Indiana around the Chicago area. My brother in law said this was the best game he ever saw. Now quash the talk about Ky being weak please.

Congrats to the burg, that is how you play a championship football game. I guess this is 2 weeks in a row that we are gonna have people feeling the better team lost. When it comes down to it, you just have to take the win or the loss and move on. In that game, I had already accepted that if we did lose, I was still happy with our showing. So, I would say the jackets have to be okay with it to because they made it a dog fight.

On a side note, please pray for 64. He texted me that he had to leave due to a family emergency. I think he could use our thoughts and prayers.
Both teams played well enough to win, but unfortunately there is only one winner...Congrats once again to Mayfield, what a game that was...:Thumbs:

64Sur needs our prayers, he is a great fan and I am glad he adopted Wburg as his team...He came by and stood by us late in the game, I was afraid he was going to need medical attention...
This was a great game. Both teams deserved to be here. Let me tell one of the most memorable moments to me. Several weeks ago, our mascot and Mayfield flag waver, was tragically murdered. His name is Ely. The team has been playing for Ely every since. After the missed PAT by Williamsburg in overtime, I heard the guy next to me say "I think we got some help from Eli on that one." Kinda brought a lump to my throat.
Great job by both teams! Too bad there can only be one winner.

both sides can say each team left it all on the field today. Great football game.
congrats mayfield you got it done once again
congratulations to Mayfield,state champs.and congratulations to Williamsburg on an awesome season from the Pikeville panther nation.we would of given anything to have been there but you have to win games when it counts and you guys did just that.be proud and just remember you are the cream of the crop in 1a ky high school football.good luck in the future to all the seniors and have a merry Christmas to all.
Just home from the game and what a great game it was. Congratulations to Mayfield for getting there 3rd straight championship. Also congrats to a very, very good Williamsburg team. You deserved to win today, without a doubt. I was very impressed with your QB. Kid had a rocket of an arm and great accuracy. Shelton was fantastic. On that tying TD catch, I stood up and clapped my hands. I'm a Mayfield diehard, but, you can't help but appreciate a play like that. Falling down, completely stretched out with one hand unavailable, he still comes away with it. WOW is all I could say. This years version of the Jackets was so much better than last years. Your line was a lot stronger, your QB was much more versatile, you had a much better running game and your D was better. As for the Cardinals, I'm proud to be one today. This team definitely overachieved all year long and beat some outstanding teams throughout the year. A new QB, all new RBs, no real explosive receivers as the past 5 years have had and replacing a lot of your line and new kicker after 4 years. Most people figured it to be a rebuilding year. Well, problem with that is they forgot to tell the players and coaches. This was a blue collar lunch pale bunch of kids. They played with everything they had from game 1 to game 15, from qtr 1 to qtr 60 and into the last o/t that brought them the trophy. A lot of resolve and an opportunistic bunch. You believed in yourselves and even when down, never lost your swagger or got rattled. Yep, proud to be a Cardinal today.
Smashmouth 47 Wrote:This was a great game. Both teams deserved to be here. Let me tell one of the most memorable moments to me. Several weeks ago, our mascot and Mayfield flag waver, was tragically murdered. His name is Ely. The team has been playing for Ely every since. After the missed PAT by Williamsburg in overtime, I heard the guy next to me say "I think we got some help from Eli on that one." Kinda brought a lump to my throat.

I had heard that story prior to today, but I never connected it to Mayfield's mascot until I heard several people in the press box talking about it. That is a terrible story. They mentioned he was an honor student and very well-liked. I hope it is a death penalty case.
I was a Williamsburg fan all day today. Rooting for them, and the better team did not win today IMO. But regardless of my opinion or anyone else's, Williamsburg not only proved they belonged in the championship game, they proved they were good enough to play with anyone, anywhere. Hats of to them, and another big thing we can learn from them is the East will always have a legitimate shot at winning it all, even when no one (like me) believes they can do it.

:notworthy

And much more important than the game, thinking about the 64SUR family. Prayers going up from Pikeville and hope everything is ok.
Congrats to the Cardinals on another championship. It was a hard fought game. Williamsburg is a fine team who has nothing to hand their heads about. When push come to shove Mayfield did what matters the most. Win.

On a personal note I just have to brag on my son Elijah. He got his third ring today and he played a big part in this one. One of his best games. I know when those big lineman see him from across the line(he is 5' 7) they think they will have it easy. They just don't know the heart he has. Congrats E. I love you buddy. Very proud of ya.
Prayers for 64 and his family.
This is what 1A football is all about. i have had chills on top of chills reading alot of these posts. Just want everyone on here to know how proud I am of ALL of the 1A schools this year. We all beat some good teams, some BIGGER teams. Congrats to everyone on all their hard work this season!! Praying for the 64sur family. Hope everything is okay.
What a ga! Super entertaining. What a championshp shoud look like. The catch by Shelton was the best I have ever seen in person. I went nuts haha.
  •  Previous
  • 2(current)
  • Next