Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What counties have the most state titles?
EKUAlum05 Wrote:Combined Finals Per County (Minimum 4) *UPDATED FOR THIS YEAR*
Jefferson- 92

Campbell= 48

Kenton= 27

Boyle= 21

[B]Graves= 20

Pike= 19[/B]

Fayette=16
Christian= 16

McCracken= 12

Harlan= 11
Hardin= 11

Warren= 10
Daviess= 10

Whitley= 9

Nelson= 8
Boone= 8

Shelby= 7
Simpson= 7
Pulaski= 7

Logan= 6
Boyd= 6

Bell= 5
Bourbon= 5

Breathitt= 4
Scott= 4
Calloway= 4
Greenup= 4
Mercer=4
Barren= 4

Is anyone else as shocked as I am that there are 3 counties much smaller than Fayette County which have made it to the finals. Another shocker to me is our state's capital Franklin County didn't even make the list. Nice list EKU.
PHS Coach Wrote:Is anyone else as shocked as I am that there are 3 counties much smaller than Fayette County which have made it to the finals. Another shocker to me is our state's capital Franklin County didn't even make the list. Nice list EKU.

Frankfort has been twice to the finals if memory serves.

Once around 1966 and the other time in 1977. Might there have been another time?
sstack Wrote:Ft Thomas population ~ 16,400; 22 titles. And remember good number of the Ft Thomas kids attend NCC.

There are also kids who attend Highlands who don't live in Ft. Thomas.
thats y we ride with nky football pwns the rest!!!!
Hatz Wrote:Frankfort has been twice to the finals if memory serves.

Once around 1966 and the other time in 1977. Might there have been another time?

It was actually 68' when Frankfort went and they got beat by Ed Miracle's Lynch East Main team. I think in 77' they got beat by Bellevue, but other than those two I can't remember Frankfort, Franklin, or Western Hills going. There have been several years when they've had the talent though.
Great analysis EkU! I think the NKYFL and the FTYFL can take some of the credit for laying the foundation for The success in Campbell and Kenton County.
EKUAlum05 Wrote:Now for some fun...current population vs. Finals Appearances
Jefferson- 92 (756,832)
8226.44 Finals/Pop

Campbell= 48 (90,988)
1895.58 Finals/Pop

Kenton= 27 (163,145)

Boyle= 21 (29,013)

Graves= 20 (37,451)

Pike= 19 (63,380)

Fayette=16 (308,428)
Christian= 16 (74,167)

McCracken= 12 (65,373)

Harlan= 11 (28,499)
Hardin= 11 (108,191)

Warren= 10 (118,370)
Daviess= 10 (98,218)

Whitley= 9 (35,766)

Nelson= 8 (44,540)
Boone= 8 (124,442)

Shelby= 7 (44,216)
Simpson= 7 (17,793)
Pulaski=7 (63,907)

Logan= 6 (26,876)
Boyd= 6 (48,886)

Bell= 5 (27,885)
Bourbon= 5 (19,998)

Breathitt= 4 (13,545)
Scott= 4 (49,947)
Calloway= 4 (37,657)
Greenup= 4 (36,519)
Mercer=4 (21,349)
Barren= 4 (43,027)

Corbin has 5 titles in Whitley Co and 2 runner ups... I think on the runner ups, 90 and mid 2000s. Williamsburg has 1 runner up and who knows coming saturday.
Isn't it advantage Jefferson County because of the Jefferson County state championship that existed for a while?

I'm surprised how few titles Fayette County has
Belfry0304 Wrote:Isn't it advantage Jefferson County because of the Jefferson County state championship that existed for a while?

I'm surprised how few titles Fayette County has

Fayette and Boone both are surprising for the wrong reasons.

Madison, for the population, obviously should have much more success...but you only have three schools in Madison. Fayette has multiple 6A schools and so to does Boone.

I never even thought about Bullitt County being so large either. Outside of some Bullitt East Runner Up runs that county has drastically underachieved as well.
I understand you can manipulate the numbers anyway you want. I would be interested in what counties have the most diversity by class by number of championships? For instance, Boone Co has good football but are dominated by 6a schools giving them less of a chance of obtaining the total number opportunities for a championship.
EKUAlum05 Wrote:Fayette and Boone both are surprising for the wrong reasons.

Madison, for the population, obviously should have much more success...but you only have three schools in Madison. Fayette has multiple 6A schools and so to does Boone.

I never even thought about Bullitt County being so large either. Outside of some Bullitt East Runner Up runs that county has drastically underachieved as well.

Boone doesn't shock me. For years, Boone and Conner played in Highlands district. Then Boone had to move up to the old 4A and had to compete w/ Trinity and St. X while Conner won one in 3A. Ryle was built, further weakening Boone's base. Ryle was stuck in Highland's district and then moved to Trinity's class. Bad luck, really.
LClion4life Wrote:There are also kids who attend Highlands who don't live in Ft. Thomas.

Highlands no longer takes tuition students (been years now) except from city of Southgate which neighbors Ft Thomas and has no high school.
sstack Wrote:Ft Thomas population ~ 16,400; 22 titles. And remember good number of the Ft Thomas kids attend NCC.

And a lot of kids "move" to Ft. Thomas to play. The idea that Highlands wins with few kids to choose from in a small town is beyond ludicrous.
jetpilot Wrote:And a lot of kids "move" to Ft. Thomas to play. The idea that Highlands wins with few kids to choose from in a small town is beyond ludicrous.

:please:You have NO clue what you are talking about,NO CLUE!
Blau Vogel Wrote::please:You have NO clue what you are talking about,NO CLUE!

Rigggggggght.Confusednicker:
jetpilot Wrote:And a lot of kids "move" to Ft. Thomas to play. The idea that Highlands wins with few kids to choose from in a small town is beyond ludicrous.

How many threads has there been on here listing the percentage of kids who are 1st, 2nd, and 3rd generation? How many times has it been discussed the percentage of kids that has gone through the school system since elementary school? Does Ft Thomas get families moving in, Hell yes, they have been listed as top 50 cities in country, top school in KY for academics, beautiful homes and parks, low crime, why wouldn't it attract families? All schools get kids from families that move in from other locations. What makes you thind they get a "ton" of kids? Just because they are successsful? In NKY parents that did not go to HHS tend to not want their kids too. In NKY, large % of parents tend to send their kids to the same school that they attended. I am acctually surprised more parents do not consider HHS, CCH, ND,SH,Beechwood when purchasing a home. When my kids were nearing school age, the schools with the best academics is were we looked to live. I do not think you give enough credit to kids buying into the system 100% and great coaching.
By ton of kids I mean total over the years, not every year. I know Ft. Thomas is a nice place with good schools but so are lots of places. I don't think people like Mike Mitchell "move" to Ft. Thomas for the beautiful parks lol. I give Highlands their due though and people would kill for their success. They have it going on with no end in sight.
jetpilot Wrote:By ton of kids I mean total over the years, not every year. I know Ft. Thomas is a nice place with good schools but so are lots of places. I don't think people like Mike Mitchell "move" to Ft. Thomas for the beautiful parks lol. I give Highlands their due though and people would kill for their success. They have it going on with no end in sight.

Mitchell moved to Ft Thomas because due to conflicts with coaching staff at Cov Cath ( I am sure he is a Catholic boy:biggrinSmile they were not playing him. I do not blame him/family for wanting him to go somewhere where he would get a fair chance, obviously he was/is a great talent. I also stated many times I think his family skirted the rules and he should not have been able to play at HHS. How come he is the only one anybody brings up when they try to say HHS gets a ton of kids outside of the city limits? All schools get transfers, families moving in from other counties/states, but people act like only teams like HHS do because they are winners. So few kids/parents move to Ft Thomas just for football, but people act like 90% of team is there from parents just concerned about their kids being on a top sports program. The first thing you hear about with Ft Thomas parents is discussions about education. It is the top quality education that keeps and brings families to Ft Thomas.
jetpilot Wrote:By ton of kids I mean total over the years, not every year. I know Ft. Thomas is a nice place with good schools but so are lots of places. I don't think people like Mike Mitchell "move" to Ft. Thomas for the beautiful parks lol. I give Highlands their due though and people would kill for their success. They have it going on with no end in sight.

Mike Mitchell
Born Jun 10, 1987 in Fort Thomas, KY (Age: 27)

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/players/pla...e-mitchell

http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/stats/_/id...e-mitchell

http://www.nfl.com/player/mikemitchell/238227/profile

Highlands has been playing football for a hundred years. Going back many many years they have had 75-100 (20-25 percent of the male students) on the roster. You bring up ONE player??? Have there been others? Sure, but the LACK of numbers would stun you. Give me 50 or 100 over the last 20 years and we will talk. You might be able to come up with 10 if you try REAL hard.

What makes Highlands successful is their youth program and the fact that these kids don't want to lose and go home to listen to the brothers, cousins, dads and in a few cases grandfathers that have their rings give them grief. Of course the occasional stud that drops in helps, but it is the homegrown tradition that breeds success.
sstack Wrote:Mitchell moved to Ft Thomas because due to conflicts with coaching staff at Cov Cath ( I am sure he is a Catholic boy:biggrinSmile they were not playing him. I do not blame him/family for wanting him to go somewhere where he would get a fair chance, obviously he was/is a great talent. I also stated many times I think his family skirted the rules and he should not have been able to play at HHS. How come he is the only one anybody brings up when they try to say HHS gets a ton of kids outside of the city limits? All schools get transfers, families moving in from other counties/states, but people act like only teams like HHS do because they are winners. So few kids/parents move to Ft Thomas just for football, but people act like 90% of team is there from parents just concerned about their kids being on a top sports program. The first thing you hear about with Ft Thomas parents is discussions about education. It is the top quality education that keeps and brings families to Ft Thomas.

A family with three young kids bought a house on my parents street in Fort Thomas. They sent their kids through the Ft Thomas school system and after all three graduated (HAVING NEVER PLAYING ONE MINUTE OF SPORTS) they sold the house. Not an unusual story unless you know THE REST OF THE STORY. In the 15 or so years they owned the house, nobody spent one night there because they lived somewhere in Kenton Co, in or near Villa Hills.
Fayette County with only 6 is mind boggling to me..
Playboy5 Wrote:Fayette County with only 6 is mind boggling to me..

Me too. Especially when you think that for a long time they didn't have to contend with the Louisville schools back in the day when they had the Louisville only class.
Highlands gets all the kids from Cincy just like NCC! lol. Some have no clue.
What stands out to me in this thread is how subpar the Fayette County football programs are.

Like PB5 said, mind boggling.
strawberryshakeman Wrote:Highlands gets all the kids from Cincy just like NCC! lol. Some have no clue.

Nobody said anything of the sort. I'm sure HHS teaches better reading comprehension skills than this.:biggrin:
You think Pike Co can just combine, Belfry, Pikeville, Pike Central, Shelby Valley, East Ridge and Phelps and put a 6A school out there to compete for state titles.
VELVET CLOSER Wrote:You think Pike Co can just combine, Belfry, Pikeville, Pike Central, Shelby Valley, East Ridge and Phelps and put a 6A school out there to compete for state titles.

Pike County Schools wouldn't wanna pay the gas money to travel to Lexington so many times haha.
Class A helps
jetpilot Wrote:Rigggggggght.Confusednicker:

Tell them, JP. I'm too mad to tell them.
EKU, does your list of championships won include the state "at large" champs from back in the day or just the winners of the overall championship in 4A?