Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pulaski Co 24 Southwestern 16
I want to give my final thoughts on the SW vs PC games after a couple of days to digest the game. Obviously, I am a SW fan but I try to be objective. I am taking what I saw in both of this year's games into account.

1) PC is a very good team WITH Riley Hall.
2) Jake Johnson and George Gregory are playmakers. If Riley gets the ball close to them, they usually make the catch.
3) Patrick Edwards only played a couple of snaps due to a severe ankle sprain. He just could not go. He is SW's number one running back averaging well over 100 yards per game and several passing yards. If he plays, the tone of game changes.
4) SW's defensive line and linebackers are as good as there are in 5A. PC's offensive line could not block them without holding and grabbing jerseys. If not for that and Riley's ability to scramble, there would have been several more sacks. If you don't believe me, watch the two films.
5) SW hurt themselves by not using the short passing game more, especially without Edwards. PC could not stop them in second quarter but then SW went away from that. When they did go back to more passing late in the game, it was longer passes down the sidelines that are low percentage passes.

With all that being said, two very good football games by two of the top teams in 5A.

I am very proud of the SW team and the fact that they have been through 3 coaches in 4 years, two horrible seasons, and then responded as they did this year. SW loses some good players but have a lot of starters returning next year. I fully expect to see this same regional final game next year.
You know, the Pulaski community COULD get behind Pulaski County, seeing as how they are the only team from the Somerset area left in the playoffs. I'd be tickled for them if they pull off a state championship and I live two counties away. I'd much rather see Pulaski win it than Hardin, Cooper or Graves. Good luck to the Maroons! I'd be rooting for Southwestern or Somerset if they were going to be playing for a championship as well.
Lyn Turpin Wrote:I want to give my final thoughts on the SW vs PC games after a couple of days to digest the game. Obviously, I am a SW fan but I try to be objective. I am taking what I saw in both of this year's games into account.

2) Jake Johnson and George Gregory are playmakers. If Riley gets the ball close to them, they usually make the catch.
3) Patrick Edwards only played a couple of snaps due to a severe ankle sprain. He just could not go. He is SW's number one running back averaging well over 100 yards per game and several passing yards. If he plays, the tone of game changes.
4) SW's defensive line and linebackers are as good as there are in 5A. PC's offensive line could not block them without holding and grabbing jerseys. If not for that and Riley's ability to scramble, there would have been several more sacks. If you don't believe me, watch the two films.
5) SW hurt themselves by not using the short passing game more, especially without Edwards. PC could not stop them in second quarter but then SW went away from that. When they did go back to more passing late in the game, it was longer passes down the sidelines that are low percentage passes.

With all that being said, two very good football games by two of the top teams in 5A.

I am very proud of the SW team and the fact that they have been through 3 coaches in 4 years, two horrible seasons, and then responded as they did this year. SW loses some good players but have a lot of starters returning next year. I fully expect to see this same regional final game next year.
SW was a very good team-but I believe other than the Smith Kid Pulaski has better linebackers and SW D line held pulaski TE all night without it being called. yes most of the time you are objective in your post -but I believe you are a little off this time.Pulaski had two touchdowns called back one was legit the other was not a pass interference on the pulaski reciever. Edwards being out might have hurt SW some but The other backs ran it hard.Bottom line Pulaski was just a little better.
Lyn Turpin Wrote:I want to give my final thoughts on the SW vs PC games after a couple of days to digest the game. Obviously, I am a SW fan but I try to be objective. I am taking what I saw in both of this year's games into account.

I agree with most of what you said. Edwards is great and you all missed him. However, a couple of things I strongly disagree with. As far as the no-calls go, the reffing in this game was TERRIBLE on BOTH sides. The one ref in particular (SW sideline in 1st half, PC sideline in 2nd half) really had something going on up top. I was embarrassed for him. He was getting heckled by fans most of the game and when one fan said what EVERYONE was thinking, he stopped the game, called over the sheriff deputies, and asked for the fan to be "arrested." The deputies came over and just laughed it off. A ref wanting to have a fan arrested for paying to get into the game to be a fan. You would have thought by the commotion that a riot was going to break out. It was laughable at best. As far as the SW play calling in the 2nd quarter, that was a 2-minute drill. There was 1:31 seconds left in the half when that drive started I believe. It was perfectly executed, getting short yardage and out of bounds to stop the clock. However, had SW tried that in the 2nd half and failed, it would have ended up being a LONG half for the Warriors because it would have slowed the game down tremendously and would have kept the PC offense on the field. You don't want that. I don't blame SW for not taking that chance. It was their shot to keep the game close, a judgement call and could have very easily went the other way. SW will be back, you can mark that down, but here's to hoping all of the folks in the Pulaski/Somerset area can back up the Maroons to get it done in BG.
jim rome Wrote:And your IQ sucked to begin with, now:gtfo:

Coming from the guy who can't read a roster properly to see that Pulaski returns basically everyone. Confusednicker:
Good win by the pulaski maroons, they are region champs for the second season in a row, and have a chance to go to state in the same timeframe. This time without perennial power Bowling Green. Is this their year?
Mark_my_words Wrote:Good win by the pulaski maroons, they are region champs for the second season in a row, and have a chance to go to state in the same timeframe. This time without perennial power Bowling Green. Is this their year?

No it is not their year. Cooper will come out and destroy them early. They have way too much talent. Pulaski is good but not great. I will be rooting for the Maroons though.
papagrit Wrote:You know, the Pulaski community COULD get behind Pulaski County, seeing as how they are the only team from the Somerset area left in the playoffs. I'd be tickled for them if they pull off a state championship and I live two counties away. I'd much rather see Pulaski win it than Hardin, Cooper or Graves. Good luck to the Maroons! I'd be rooting for Southwestern or Somerset if they were going to be playing for a championship as well.

Probably not gonna happen here. These people are neighbors, live, eat and go to church together but would not root for the other two teams if their life depended on it. Let me rephrase that, most wont, a few will.