Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
If it had been Sting and not Hogan that joined the nWo.....
WCW's 1996 Bash at the Beach is an event that forever changed Pro Wrestling.

Hogan's heel turn is probably the biggest heel turn in history. It was something nobody ever thought would happen.
Luger and Savage turning heel wouldn't have been that big of a shock.

But if Sting would have bee the one who turned.... think about how big of a shock that would be.

I think Sting missed out on some of the best times of his career sitting in the rafters.... but if he was with the nWo, think of the rivalries that we could have seen.
Check out my YouTube channel.
www.youtube.com/c/AlexGreenDifferentBreed
Hogan heel > Sting heel
zaga_fan Wrote:Hogan heel > Sting heel

Hogan might have been the better heel....

But I think it would have been a bigger shock to see Sting join the nWo rather than Hogan. Sting was Mr. WCW and had never worked for the WWF before.
Hogan coming out and dropping the leg-drop on Savage was a moment that Sting wasn't capable of.

It wasn't that he didn't mean as much to WCW, that he wasn't as talented... that story was perfect.

They were the Mega Powers. Hogan was the ULTIMATE baby face. When the Mega Powers broke up it was because of Savage going crazy, but they flipped the script.
If Sting would have landed a Stinger Splash on Savage then put Hogan or Luger in the Scorpion Death Lock until he "passed out"....

IMO.... the fans would have been in a bigger shock than with Hogan.
Agree to disagree.

It's something to talk about... but the only hole in the nWo story line was the fact that they didn't know how to get out of it.
To hardcore WCW fans, Sting may have been a bigger shock. But I doubt it would have done much to pull away fans from WWF. Hogan was bigger than WCW and like Zaga said the ultimate face of the time.
Plus the whole story at that time, was that Hall and Nash were still working for Vince to take down WCW. Who better to be the traitor than the guy that helped build Vince's empire? Of course Hall and Nash would have known Hogan, because of the WWF. But Sting had been WCW the whole time, it didn't fit the story.
Coyoteman Wrote:Plus the whole story at that time, was that Hall and Nash were still working for Vince to take down WCW. Who better to be the traitor than the guy that helped build Vince's empire? Of course Hall and Nash would have known Hogan, because of the WWF. But Sting had been WCW the whole time, it didn't fit the story.

Savage and Luger both were former WWF "Superstars"

Hall and Nash never once said they were there to "take down" WCW......
I think they played the whole NWO and Sting story beautifully up until the end. I think they had built the whole Sting angel up but never really used it to its full potential.
Pulp Fiction Wrote:Savage and Luger both were former WWF "Superstars"

Hall and Nash never once said they were there to "take down" WCW......

They never said they were there to take down WCW but they were interrupting the broadcasts and they called eventually called themselves the outsiders. They very well implied that that was their intentions.
Think about this scenario.....

After Hall, Nash & Hogan formed the nWo and Sting was living in the rafters.............
What if The Undertaker had switched from the WWF to join the nWo and faced Sting.

Piper, Savage, Hogan, Rick Rude, I.R.S., Bret Hart, Ted DiBiase, Hall, Nash, Virgil, Mean Gene Okerlund had all left the WWF for WCW.

If The Underaker had joined the nWo.... the Monday Night Wars might have a different ending.
Sting did turn, and it was shat on pretty quickly by the fans. No, Sting would not have made the same impact as Hogan. If you watch the replay of the main event, Hogan got a bigger "Face" pop when he ran down to the ring than did Stinger for his intro. The fans were more into Hogan at that particular time than Sting. It's an interesting argument, but I do not believe the fans would have reacted the same as they had with Hogan. Plus, Hogan's over-the-top personality allowed the fans to hate him without him even getting into the ring. Sting has always relied on getting his biggest reactions during the matches. I don't think Sting could have carried the mic and sell the whole gimmick the way Hogan did.