Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ranking strength of schedules for top 8 1a teams
I have done a little research just to rank the toughest 1a schedules for the top 8 teams in 1a Ky teams. I really feel that these top 8 teams are really all that are relevant in 1a and that is why I limited my research to them. The way that I did this is checked the lit ratings of each of the teams opponents on their schedules and then averaged the lit ratings off all of them. The out of state teams will not be considered in this ranking.

1) Beechwood, avg opp lit rating of 77.16. So far they are 2-1 versus this
schedule.
2) Mayfield, avg opp lit rating of 74.81. So far they are 4-1 versus this
schedule.
3) Frankfort, avg opp lit rating of 70.44. So far they are 3-1 versus this
schedule.
4) Pikeville, avg opp lit rating of 68.65. So far they are 5-0 versus this
schedule.
5) Raceland, avg opp lit rating of 68.5. So far they are 4-1 versus this
schedule.
6) Russellville, avg opp lit rating of 68.27. So far they are 5-0 vesus this
schedule.
7) Hazard, avg opp lit rating of 66.85. So far they are 3-1 versus this
schedule.
8) Williamsburg, avg opp lit rating of 60.71. So far they are 5-0 versus
this schedule.

There it is, so what are your thoughts?
Wow Williamsburg is 5-0 :Cheerlead
I think it is killing you that your precious Lit ratings have someone in the East ranked above Mayfield, so you are trying to put your own spin on it to get them back above Pikeville. Confusednicker:
Beechwood is 2-2 not 2-1 mysonis55 Confusedhh:
64SUR Wrote:Wow Williamsburg is 5-0 :Cheerlead

I never would have guessed that Williamsburg would be 8th on a list of 8 Confusednicker:
64SUR Wrote:Beechwood is 2-2 not 2-1 mysonis55 Confusedhh:

:truestory:
I'm not putting any spin. It's simple math. That is what the schedules are. If you used just the teams they have played right now, it would shake it up. I think that would put either Beechwood or Pikeville in front. I really don't care about what it is right now. I just hope like he** that we are #1 in Dec with a gold trophy.
Beechwood is 2-1 versus that schedule. I said out of state teams don't count. I would suspect if they did, the undefeated oh team would boost their rating even higher.
Okay, to stop the crying by pj boy and 64, I have tried another route. This is how it would look for average strength of schedule for the games played thus far. This just counts teams that each has already played with the exception of out of state teams.

1) Mayfield 91.52
2) Beechwood 91.50
3) Pikeville 90.52
4) Frankfort 87.87
5) Hazard 86.07
6) Williamsburg 80.07
7) Raceland 71.15
8) Russellville 61.80

A side note here is that if Beechwood could count the undefeated out of state team, they may have overtaken Mayfield. Now, pj boy, the burg isn't last. There is no spin here. It is simple math.

I think what has boosted Pikeville over Beechwood and Mayfield in the Lit ratings is whatever score the computer uses for a win, since Pikeville has 1 more than Mayfield and 2 more than Beechwood. That and maybe the amount of points scored instead of how many given up.
mysonis55 Wrote:Okay, to stop the crying by pj boy and 64, I have tried another route. This is how it would look for average strength of schedule for the games played thus far. This just counts teams that each has already played with the exception of out of state teams.

1) Mayfield 91.52
2) Beechwood 91.50
3) Pikeville 90.52
4) Frankfort 87.87
5) Hazard 86.07
6) Williamsburg 80.07
7) Raceland 71.15
8) Russellville 61.80

A side note here is that if Beechwood could count the undefeated out of state team, they may have overtaken Mayfield. Now, pj boy, the burg isn't last. There is no spin here. It is simple math.

I think what has boosted Pikeville over Beechwood and Mayfield in the Lit ratings is whatever score the computer uses for a win, since Pikeville has 1 more than Mayfield and 2 more than Beechwood. That and maybe the amount of points scored instead of how many given up.

:zzz:
mysonis55 Wrote:Okay, to stop the crying by pj boy and 64, I have tried another route. This is how it would look for average strength of schedule for the games played thus far. This just counts teams that each has already played with the exception of out of state teams.

1) Mayfield 91.52
2) Beechwood 91.50
3) Pikeville 90.52
4) Frankfort 87.87
5) Hazard 86.07
6) Williamsburg 80.07
7) Raceland 71.15
8) Russellville 61.80

I'd love to see the Lit ratings explain their math. Calpreps does, they explain that, to not penalize a team for playing a weaker district opponent they have to play, etc they give a "base" for all wins, etc. I think that would clear up confusion from a lot of people who wonder why teams are ranked where they are.
Ok i been been looking at this all wrong from Z to A ranking looks like this.

1.Williamsburg 5-0
2.Russellville 5-0
3.Pikeville 5-0
4.Raceland 4-1
5.Mayfield 4-1
6.Hazard 3-1
7.Frankfort 3-1
8.Beechwood 3-1

Something about these number looks right. :Cheerlead
If you just go by opponents win/loss record then your top teams come out like this........

I don't see anyone being too relevant other than these teams.

Mayfield opponents - 10-12
Pikeville opponents - 14-7
Williamsburg opponents - 7-15
Beechwood opponents - 10-6
Frankfort opponents - 9-9
Hazard opponents - 10-9

This is counting the out-of-state teams as well.
64SUR Wrote:Ok i been been looking at this all wrong from Z to A ranking looks like this.

1.Williamsburg 5-0
2.Russellville 5-0
3.Pikeville 5-0
4.Raceland 4-1
5.Mayfield 4-1
6.Hazard 3-1
7.Frankfort 3-1
8.Beechwood 3-1

Confusednicker:
64, we just like to take our loss early. Y'all prefer to take it late. I figure it will continue that trend this year.
Pikeville beat Belfry straight up. That impresses me more than any numbers system. Pikeville is very good.
I don't think anyone is saying that Pikeville isn't good. This is simply the ranking of strength of schedule. Theirs is near the top.
At the end of the day, rankings are just for entertainment at the high school level. Purely for us Monday morning armchair qbs to argue over. The ultimate power rank is, like 55 says, at the end of the season when holding up the trophy. It's fun to trash talk, debate, and argue until you are blue in the face, but it is all just white noise and chatter, ultimately.
mysonis55 Wrote:I don't think anyone is saying that Pikeville isn't good. This is simply the ranking of strength of schedule. Theirs is near the top.

No matter what ranking system you use Pikeville has played the better schedule. Its not even that close really. One or two teams being good here and there doesn't cut it. Pikeville's opponents are 7 games over .500. There are only two other teams besides Pikeville out of the list whose opponents have a winning record. The out of state teams are irrevelant because none of them are even in the top 10 of their class. It may end up different by the time the season is over and done, but as of right now in the season they've played the toughest schedule by far.

I don't understand why I'm always having to defend them? I didn't even go to school there. I don't understand the psychy behind fellow eastern KY people not being happy for a team that is playing better than anyone. You should be just as proud as you are for your own team. I'm sure whomever goes to bowling green from 1A the pikeville fans will be routing for. There's no reason to try and justify something like strength of schedule when one team has clearly played the better opponents. It just makes no sense for that kind of discussion when the only intent is to try and discredit a fellow mountain team that is having a great season.
64SUR Wrote:Ok i been been looking at this all wrong from Z to A ranking looks like this.

1.Williamsburg 5-0
2.Russellville 5-0
3.Pikeville 5-0
4.Raceland 4-1
5.Mayfield 4-1
6.Hazard 3-1
7.Frankfort 3-1
8.Beechwood 3-1

Confusednicker:
PHSForever Wrote:At the end of the day, rankings are just for entertainment at the high school level. Purely for us Monday morning armchair qbs to argue over. The ultimate power rank is, like 55 says, at the end of the season when holding up the trophy. It's fun to trash talk, debate, and argue until you are blue in the face, but it is all just white noise and chatter, ultimately.

I even like to bash teams I like to get the fans stirred ,especially ones with a lot of arrogant fans that think they are unbeatable Confusednicker:
baseball1974 Wrote:No matter what ranking system you use Pikeville has played the better schedule. Its not even that close really. One or two teams being good here and there doesn't cut it. Pikeville's opponents are 7 games over .500. There are only two other teams besides Pikeville out of the list whose opponents have a winning record. The out of state teams are irrevelant because none of them are even in the top 10 of their class. It may end up different by the time the season is over and done, but as of right now in the season they've played the toughest schedule by far.

I don't understand why I'm always having to defend them? I didn't even go to school there. I don't understand the psychy behind fellow eastern KY people not being happy for a team that is playing better than anyone. You should be just as proud as you are for your own team. I'm sure whomever goes to bowling green from 1A the pikeville fans will be routing for. There's no reason to try and justify something like strength of schedule when one team has clearly played the better opponents. It just makes no sense for that kind of discussion when the only intent is to try and discredit a fellow mountain team that is having a great season.

I predict a Southeastern Kentucky school to win 1A State Championship this year Smile
pjdoug Wrote:I even like to bash teams I like to get the fans stirred ,especially ones with a lot of arrogant fans that think they are unbeatable Confusednicker:
.... So you like to bash some of your own fans? Hmmm. Reverse psychology I guess?

:popcorn:
Baseball, stick to your sport because its obvious that you know nothing about football. Beechwood probably has played the toughest schedule. They play very large schools. The out of state team they played is a top 10 team in Ohio in a class that's about the size of Ky 6a. Then they play a tough 6a team in Dixie. They play teams that beat up on each other a lot and same with powerful Louisville area teams. Once you jump up to 5a or 6a an avg team is about as good as any team from 3a on down. That is what you are missing.

Our schedule is very tough as well. We played a 3a team that will finish 2nd in their district to start the year. We then played an undefeated top 5 6a school. We then played a 3a team that will be in regionals and maybe semis. We then played a semi final 2a team. We then played a 5a team that will finish either 1st or 2nd in their dist. The last 6a opp, well, they are what they are.
mysonis55 Wrote:Baseball, stick to your sport because its obvious that you know nothing about football. Beechwood probably has played the toughest schedule. They play very large schools. The out of state team they played is a top 10 team in Ohio in a class that's about the size of Ky 6a. Then they play a tough 6a team in Dixie. They play teams that beat up on each other a lot and same with powerful Louisville area teams. Once you jump up to 5a or 6a an avg team is about as good as any team from 3a on down. That is what you are missing.

Our schedule is very tough as well. We played a 3a team that will finish 2nd in their district to start the year. We then played an undefeated top 5 6a school. We then played a 3a team that will be in regionals and maybe semis. We then played a semi final 2a team. We then played a 5a team that will finish either 1st or 2nd in their dist. The last 6a opp, well, they are what they are.

You really don't know much about northern KY or half the teams you're speaking of. Exaggeration exaggeration and more exaggeration. I said Mayfield was a good solid team that will most likely be in the championship but their schedule is not comparable no matter how much you try to inflate everyone on your schedule. I'll concede to the fact that Beechwood and Pikeville are in the same conversations for the toughest schedule, but if you wanted this conversation so you could try and prove something to everyone its not really working. Like I said they have a great program but its almost insulting to compare schedules. My point is Mayfield doesn't need to compare anything. They've already proven they can win multiple state titles playing who they play. So it shouldn't matter? You don't need a whole thread to tell you that.
I dont understand why some think pikeville has played the strongest schedule by far. Yes they beat belfry, but they aint beat 6 belfry caliber teams. Mccracken county would steamroll all of pikevilles opponents.
What do we know about football over here Killbilly? Who are we to tell such a gifted baseball fanatic that we know what a tough schedule is? I cannot wait until December. We can resume the talk then with the unarmed.
mysonis55 Wrote:What do we know about football over here Killbilly? Who are we to tell such a gifted baseball fanatic that we know what a tough schedule is? I cannot wait until December. We can resume the talk then with the unarmed.

You guys are basing an argument off of one team on the schedule. McCracken is better than a lot of teams in 1A. I won't dispute that. The schedule as a whole is not better. Beechwood and Pikeville have the two best schedules overall. I understand you don't like to be wrong so I can live with the little jabs, but in reality I coached football just as long as I did baseball and you simply don't know what you're talking about. I'm sorry that it upsets you when somebody points out when you're wrong, but just because you say the same thing over and over doesn't make it true. I hope you deal with that Napoleon complex because it's definitely not the classiest thing I've seen?
baseball1974 Wrote:You guys are basing an argument off of one team on the schedule. McCracken is better than a lot of teams in 1A. I won't dispute that. The schedule as a whole is not better. Beechwood and Pikeville have the two best schedules overall. I understand you don't like to be wrong so I can live with the little jabs, but in reality I coached football just as long as I did baseball and you simply don't know what you're talking about. I'm sorry that it upsets you when somebody points out when you're wrong, but just because you say the same thing over and over doesn't make it true. I hope you deal with that Napoleon complex because it's definitely not the classiest thing I've seen?

Starting to like this baseball guy.....just sayin. :popcorn:
64SUR Wrote:Starting to like this baseball guy.....just sayin. :popcorn:

I kind of like him to