Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What a week in 1a!!!!
We had what could be an unpresidented week here in 1a football this week. I cannot explain how excited I am to see the small schools take it to the larger ones this week. David stood in front of Goliath in 6 separate games Friday night and smacked them right in the mouth. who would have predicted this:

1) #3 Pikeville welcomed #1 from 3a into there house and stole their thunder with a 2 score win at 29-20. No one, including me, would go out on a limb and pick this one. This was a win over the team that almost everyone in the state has picked to win the 3a crown.

2) #6 Beechwood also welcomed in #6 Franklin Co 5a and beat them down and stole their lunch money. This was a statement game by the small school team, who felt undervalued. This 46-22 beat down puts the big schools on notice. No longer will people be doubting the little school tradition rich Tigers.

3) #1 Mayfield traveled across town and into their sister school's stadium and stymied the #14 Graves Co Eagles (5a). The Cards faced a team with a big bruiser back that is very fast and a d1 recruit. This back was averaging 200 yards per game against stiff competition going into this game. Mayfield kept him under 100 yards total and held the Eagles to just over 150 yards in a 21-0 shutout. This is another game in which the little school served notice to the bigger schools around the state.

4) #5 Frankfort welcomed in another 3a team in Western Hills and then began to beat them like they stole something. When the smoke cleared the Panthers were roaring off with a 46-22 victory. Again the small school said, "not so fast".

5) #8 Raceland welcomed in a bigger Ohio team in of Coal Grove, looked them in the eye and said "not in my house" as they stormed from behind to snatch the victory from the team from that place north of the river. You have to love when the little Ky school teams put it to one of those schools from that place north of the river that thinks they invented football.

6) #2 Williamsburg jumped on the little yellow buses and drove 2.5 hours north to let the bigger schools know they had arrived. They found a taker in Newport and took a 31-22, 2 scores, victory from the bigger school. This came from a team from the greater Cinn area. The bus lag didn't catch up with the small school jackets in this one.

7) #9 Holy Cross waltzed into big 4a Valley's house and stood up to say look what we small schools can do, as the 3 scored them 28-6. Jumping 3 classes up to take their milk money on their own field.

Then, of course you can't lose sight of the total domination that #7 Hazard displayed in thumping #12 Fairview.

Last but not least, I would like to say that I hate to see one of our Ky powerhouse teams getting beat, if only by 1 point, to an out of state team. Start a new streak BG.
Nicely put 55. I feel like Pikeville, Wburg, and Raceland all three made big strides this week. 1A is shaking up to be an extremely competive class, possibly inside the top 6 or 7.

Mayfield
Pikeville
Wburg
Beechwood
Hazard/Raceland
Frankfort/Russellville

Thats how I see it any ways. Nothing is for certain anymore in single A. I think who ever ends up squaring off in BG, are going to pt on quite a show.
Pikeville and Beechwood wins stand out. Those are huge statement wins.
I think Pikeville is now the favorite to win the east.
Now I just wish we could get McCracken and Beechwood together in the next few weeks so, like Frankfort we could gauge them.
mysonis55 Wrote:We had what could be an unpresidented week here in 1a football this week. I cannot explain how excited I am to see the small schools take it to the larger ones this week. David stood in front of Goliath in 6 separate games Friday night and smacked them right in the mouth. who would have predicted this:

1) #3 Pikeville welcomed #1 from 3a into there house and stole their thunder with a 2 score win at 29-20. No one, including me, would go out on a limb and pick this one. This was a win over the team that almost everyone in the state has picked to win the 3a crown.

2) #6 Beechwood also welcomed in #6 Franklin Co 5a and beat them down and stole their lunch money. This was a statement game by the small school team, who felt undervalued. This 46-22 beat down puts the big schools on notice. No longer will people be doubting the little school tradition rich Tigers.

3) #1 Mayfield traveled across town and into their sister school's stadium and stymied the #14 Graves Co Eagles (5a). The Cards faced a team with a big bruiser back that is very fast and a d1 recruit. This back was averaging 200 yards per game against stiff competition going into this game. Mayfield kept him under 100 yards total and held the Eagles to just over 150 yards in a 21-0 shutout. This is another game in which the little school served notice to the bigger schools around the state.

4) #5 Frankfort welcomed in another 3a team in Western Hills and then began to beat them like they stole something. When the smoke cleared the Panthers were roaring off with a 46-22 victory. Again the small school said, "not so fast".

5) #8 Raceland welcomed in a bigger Ohio team in of Coal Grove, looked them in the eye and said "not in my house" as they stormed from behind to snatch the victory from the team from that place north of the river. You have to love when the little Ky school teams put it to one of those schools from that place north of the river that thinks they invented football.

6) #2 Williamsburg jumped on the little yellow buses and drove 2.5 hours north to let the bigger schools know they had arrived. They found a taker in Newport and took a 31-22, 2 scores, victory from the bigger school. This came from a team from the greater Cinn area. The bus lag didn't catch up with the small school jackets in this one.

7) #9 Holy Cross waltzed into big 4a Valley's house and stood up to say look what we small schools can do, as the 3 scored them 28-6. Jumping 3 classes up to take their milk money on their own field.

Then, of course you can't lose sight of the total domination that #7 Hazard displayed in thumping #12 Fairview.

Last but not least, I would like to say that I hate to see one of our Ky powerhouse teams getting beat, if only by 1 point, to an out of state team. Start a new streak BG.

Coal Grove is about the same size as Raceland . Coal Grove would be considered 1A in Ky , & according to their fans before the game started they said they were very young , & inexperienced , theyalso figured Raceland would have a running clock on them before halftime . So either CG parents were blowing smoke before the game or it wasnt at all impressive by the Rams . Either way always happy to see a Ky school beat a team from the wrong side of the river !
That's about as good a compliment as a Fairview fan could give to Raceland.
mysonis55 Wrote:That's about as good a compliment as a Fairview fan could give to Raceland.

Hahaha you might be from the far West side of the state , but you have figured out Raceland/ Fairview ! I like to think Raceland wouldnt want an Ohio team beating Fairview either lol
To me, 1a and 6a are the toughest classes this year... In 2a, Desales and Caldwell are head and shoulders above the rest of the pack, with possibly CAL. 3a is weak overall this year. Belfry is still the likely favorite, but, after this weeks loss to Pikeville, it's pretty wide open, but, that doesn't necc mean quality parity. 4a has Highlands and Cov Cath and every other team is at least 2 notches below those 2.. 5a is down. If Franklin Co is a Top 5 5a team, that should tell you something.
Thanks for posting that info 55
Thanks 55. Good job!
After watching a #4 team in Ms 6a roll into McCracken Co tonight and lose to the Mustangs by a bigger margin than my little 1a Cardinals, I am even more impressed by what our little 1a teams are doing. I have been told for years that Mayfield would not have all of those titles if they weren't a small school. Well, I think we tend to make our case year after year. I know there are other small schools that do the same and it makes me so dang proud.
Mayfield plays good football regardless of class. The little independents with community pride are working their butts off to have success. The majority of those schools also do well academically also. The states motto is bigger is better. They can save a nickel. Damn the child if they can save that nickel. The state's goal is to shut the little guys down. They have made a conscious effort to choke the small schools. The school and the community as partners is being thrown out the window. Compare facilities at the large schools to the independents. The Mayfields, Beechwoods, Danvilles, Pikevilles, Corbins, and Somersets have produced good citizens for 100 years but are now considered obsolete. Damn the child save the nickle.
Our state government seems to want to do that with every aspect of life though. I have seen it in my job many times. They put a different spin on it though, so they can make the citizenry feel as though they are concerned about helping the community. Politicians are great at taking a thorn and trying to make it look like a rose.
This can not happen Mysonis55. Everybody is happy today......:pondering:......Williamsburg could use some water in November....Just saying 55
Don't forget Paintsville beat next year 2A Allen Central too :moon:
64, we are keeping an armed guard on the water this year. I have advised them of your plans to sabotage it.
Frankfort is a little overrated. They beat a western hills team that is very mediocre. Franklin beat WHHS by 40 points and Frankfort barely escaped their game with Franklin only putting up 22 points. Willaimsburg barely got by a terrible Newport team, and hasnt played anybody else to gauge where they are? If that's any indication then it gives Pikeville an overwhelming vote at #2 in 1A. They're the only one that deserve it at this point. Williamsburg's schedule is so weak you can't even tell if they win out how good they are?
Talon Wrote:Coal Grove is about the same size as Raceland . Coal Grove would be considered 1A in Ky , & according to their fans before the game started they said they were very young , & inexperienced , theyalso figured Raceland would have a running clock on them before halftime . So either CG parents were blowing smoke before the game or it wasnt at all impressive by the Rams . Either way always happy to see a Ky school beat a team from the wrong side of the river !

Half of the Raceland starting lineup were Sophomores and only one had significant time last year. Talon, we all know you are die-hard BITW Fairview Eagle Fanatic. You know that CG was the favorite to win the game and the only reason you were there was to see a RAM defeat. Sorry, lol, it didn't happen. In a few weeks, you will see another W for Raceland when we travel to The Wood. Only reason you didn't make the Hazard trip was you knew their butt would get handed to them and you thought CG would do the same to THE RAMS. Glad you helped support our school with your $5 entry ticket. You may end up bleeding orange if you make a few more trips to RAMLAND!!
You guys have a real love fest.
BOOGIE WOOGIE MAN Wrote:Half of the Raceland starting lineup were Sophomores and only one had significant time last year. Talon, we all know you are die-hard BITW Fairview Eagle Fanatic. You know that CG was the favorite to win the game and the only reason you were there was to see a RAM defeat. Sorry, lol, it didn't happen. In a few weeks, you will see another W for Raceland when we travel to The Wood. Only reason you didn't make the Hazard trip was you knew their butt would get handed to them and you thought CG would do the same to THE RAMS. Glad you helped support our school with your $5 entry ticket. You may end up bleeding orange if you make a few more trips to RAMLAND!!
Haha your nuts ! Raceland has several returning starters . Kane Snyder, Conner Messar , Maverick Dixon , Josh Young ....anyway thats beside the point i always want to see a Ky school beat a Ohio school . Oh i didnt pay a dime to get in , & i was there for offical business not to watch Coal Grove .
Are you two related. If so this may be domestic abuse.
Really?
Talon Wrote:Haha your nuts ! Raceland has several returning starters . Kane Snyder, Conner Messar , Maverick Dixon , Josh Young ....anyway thats beside the point i always want to see a Ky school beat a Ohio school . Oh i didnt pay a dime to get in , & i was there for offical business not to watch Coal Grove .

My bad, 4 started on Offense (just a little over 1/3), and 5 started on Defense (not quite 1/2). I didn't mean to ruffle your feathers. Might want to pull those little wings back in or they may get clipped by The Rams when they rattle the cage of the rest of your flock in a few weeks when they travel to the Splinterville, previously known as the wood.
Baseball 74 you need to find something to hold on to, I promise you it is not all that bad maybe some kool aid, you WILL get over it.
I think your giving your team to much credit. I'll fix it for you.

mysonis55 Wrote:#1 Pikeville
#2 Mayfield

Pikeville is 1st after this week. haha:popcorn:
baseball1974 Wrote:frankfort is a little overrated. They beat a western hills team that is very mediocre. Franklin beat whhs by 40 points and frankfort barely escaped their game with franklin only putting up 22 points. Willaimsburg barely got by a terrible newport team, and hasnt played anybody else to gauge where they are? If that's any indication then it gives pikeville an overwhelming vote at #2 in 1a. They're the only one that deserve it at this point. Williamsburg's schedule is so weak you can't even tell if they win out how good they are?

people keep saying that newport is a terrible team.......again, either you guys weren't there or you've never played football in your life. Newport isn't a bad team. Secondly, w'burg probably played the worst game of the year and still managed to beat a team with talent, size, and speed. Frankly, i think its great to play when people think you haven't done this or that, weak schedule or you're only beating bad teams. Stay under the radar and when other teams get punched in the mouth then they want to know what happened. Seems like this happened last year with w'burg.....weak schedule, dont play any caliber teams and who played in the state finals?? Lost to a great mayfield team. Where was everybody else then?? Time will tell!
THE_WAY_I_SEE_IT Wrote:people keep saying that newport is a terrible team.......again, either you guys weren't there or you've never played football in your life. Newport isn't a bad team. Secondly, w'burg probably played the worst game of the year and still managed to beat a team with talent, size, and speed. Frankly, i think its great to play when people think you haven't done this or that, weak schedule or you're only beating bad teams. Stay under the radar and when other teams get punched in the mouth then they want to know what happened. Seems like this happened last year with w'burg.....weak schedule, dont play any caliber teams and who played in the state finals?? Lost to a great mayfield team. Where was everybody else then?? Time will tell!

The point is that its difficult to base how good they are? Even with last year's team, their roadto the finals was an easy one to say the least, Jenkins, Pineville, Raceland and Hazard. The only teams they played last season that had any talent was North Laurel and Wayne County. Both of those teams handed you losses in embarrassing fashion. That's why coming into to this season it was hard to tell how well they'd do because the only teams worth a snuff embarrassed them and their road to the finals didn't lend any help to the mystery. I for one have been wanting them to solidify themselves in 1A because I think they could be a great team, but I was only pointing out the difficulty of predicting where they'd end up due to the weak schedule. Any team that gets to a state championship deserves every second of it and I wasn't trying to take that away from them.
It also does absolutely nothing to prepare a team for when they start playing the tough teams around the semis or finals.
I know there are a lot of people who sometimes look down on 1A football because they are smaller schools... but man there is some good football at these smaller schools! Plus some of these stadiums have awesome small town atmospheres!