Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Johnson Central @ Harlan County 9\19
If HC don't mix it up and at least try to throw the ball at least 10-15 times JC will steam roll them this week. If some adjustment aren't made I could see HC winning a district title with a 4-6 record.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Living The Dream!!
What are the strengths of this year's team they should be playing to?
If you're talking about opening up the offense and using Harlan County's speed, I don't see that working because they don't have nearly the speed they had the past three or four years.
As for comparing to other county schools, Cawood opened with around 1,200 students and stayed above 1,000 well into the 1980s, so I think there is plenty of room to compare there. HCHS is basically the same size.
The other schools played on the Class 2A or 1A level, and I don't see a reason why you can't compare their level of success in their class to what Harlan County has done.
As for the idea that combining schools makes you an automatic powerhouse, that simply isn't true. The Whitley guys seem to like that argument, but Whitley opened in the 1960s and didn't win a district or regional title for decades (unless I'm forgetting one). Changing coaches fairly regularly did nothing for them.
JC running clock until they put their JV and FR team in. Than I see HC scoring a coupe TDs Only game I see on JC schedule is belfry. I hope we work on a better schedule for next yr
HDE Wrote:What are the strengths of this year's team they should be playing to?
If you're talking about opening up the offense and using Harlan County's speed, I don't see that working because they don't have nearly the speed they had the past three or four years.
As for comparing to other county schools, Cawood opened with around 1,200 students and stayed above 1,000 well into the 1980s, so I think there is plenty of room to compare there. HCHS is basically the same size.
The other schools played on the Class 2A or 1A level, and I don't see a reason why you can't compare their level of success in their class to what Harlan County has done.
As for the idea that combining schools makes you an automatic powerhouse, that simply isn't true. The Whitley guys seem to like that argument, but Whitley opened in the 1960s and didn't win a district or regional title for decades (unless I'm forgetting one). Changing coaches fairly regularly did nothing for them.
and here comes my buddy GUT in 3....2....1....
HDE Wrote:What are the strengths of this year's team they should be playing to?
what does Whitley County have to do with it?
Are there any Givens or Crowders on the Harlan County roster????

Big Grin

(I hope somebody gets the reference... and see's the humor)
Check out my YouTube channel.
www.youtube.com/c/AlexGreenDifferentBreed
Does Raylan do security at the home games??

[Image: http://www.beyondhollywood.com/uploads/2...omos-3.jpg]
Check out my YouTube channel.
www.youtube.com/c/AlexGreenDifferentBreed
Eagleland Wrote:JC running clock until they put their JV and FR team in. Than I see HC scoring a coupe TDs Only game I see on JC schedule is belfry. I hope we work on a better schedule for next yr
This series with Harlan County was scheduled after Harlan County was defeated in the 5A state semi-finals in 2012 and they were preseason number two in 5A coming into last year. What more do you want? This is game two of a four game series. I personally sent out an email last week to the coaches list serve advertising that we have openings in our schedule for week 2 and 3 for the next two years. Guess how many responses that I received back? NONE! Who do you suggest we schedule Eagleland? This isn't your first time getting on here and taking little pot shots at our team while hiding behind a screen name, if you're going to take these little shots at least be a man and tell us who you are.
pjdoug Wrote:what does Whitley County have to do with it?

That's funny. You don't mind jumping in whenever you can take a shot at Harlan County.
Whitley is one of many example of consolidations that didn't achieve success overnight.
HDE Wrote:That's funny. You don't mind jumping in whenever you can take a shot at Harlan County.
Whitley is one of many example of consolidations that didn't achieve success overnight.

you obviously have no clue about what made Whitley County High School and there are still three High School's in Whitley County.I don't take shots at Harlan County.get your facts straight.
Pulp Fiction Wrote:Are there any Givens or Crowders on the Harlan County roster????

Big Grin

(I hope somebody gets the reference... and see's the humor)
Confusednicker:
Pulp Fiction Wrote:Does Raylan do security at the home games??

We don't need him. I will be there, and I'm always packing heat!
Coach Booth Wrote:This series with Harlan County was scheduled after Harlan County was defeated in the 5A state semi-finals in 2012 and they were preseason number two in 5A coming into last year. What more do you want? This is game two of a four game series. I personally sent out an email last week to the coaches list serve advertising that we have openings in our schedule for week 2 and 3 for the next two years. Guess how many responses that I received back? NONE! Who do you suggest we schedule Eagleland? This isn't your first time getting on here and taking little pot shots at our team while hiding behind a screen name, if you're going to take these little shots at least be a man and tell us who you are.

Nobody EVER seems to understand this. I spent an entire year defending the schedule that the Black Bears had a few seasons ago. You cannot play teams who won't schedule you...how difficult is that to understand?

AND, when you say that to somebody, they will normally come back with some idiotic comment like.........you think they are AFRAID to play you?
Confusednicker:

Some folks just don't get it, and they never will.
BB CLAW Wrote:These young men work hard. Their coaches work hard too. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to see and realize that this is a rebuilding year. The Bears have been dealt the injury bug also while working through this. The Black Bears have the toughest schedule of any team around. As I said in another thread, they only returned a few starters on offense and a few on defense. Big positions to fill. We aren't near as big nor do we have the speed as in the years past. Freshmen and sophs, inexperienced at this level, have been thrown into the fire and they are working hard stepping up against very tough competition. They aint backing down either. The reserves are just as inexperienced. They are getting better every minute that they are out there. Although they are talented youth they need time to gain experience and adjust to the speed and physicality. They are hanging tough and still working hard. They need fan support. How many freshman and sophs do you think start for Bryan Station, Belfry, JC, Knox, Bell?. We are heavy with them and they are talented but inexperienced at this level. Patience and support is what these kids need and they deserve it. Not negativity. They will get better and ready when district begins. Support these Bears. GO BLACK BEARS!!

We had 3 freshman and a ton of Sophmores start last year at Bell. We know how you feel!!!!
pjdoug Wrote:you obviously have no clue about what made Whitley County High School and there are still three High School's in Whitley County.I don't take shots at Harlan County.get your facts straight.

Only one high school in the Whitley County School District, just like it's been since 1964. There was a big story in the News Journal about the 50th anniversary. There's also a news story on the wall in the gym.
Belfry has thrown the ball 12 times this year
Johnson Cent has thrown 20 times total this year

Harlan Co has thrown 20 times total this year

Whitley has thrown it 63
Bringing some facts into the discussion.
That's not fair. Smile
Pulp Fiction Wrote:Does Raylan do security at the home games??

Ava's works the concession selling popcorn....:popcorn:... Confusednicker:
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Living The Dream!!
I will take HC in a big win. New play caller Gary Smiddy keeps JC guessing all night. 35-14 HC
pjdoug Wrote:you obviously have no clue about what made Whitley County High School and there are still three High School's in Whitley County.I don't take shots at Harlan County.get your facts straight.

I thought these were the schools:

Pleasant View
Poplar Creek
Woodbine
Rockhold
HDE Wrote:I thought these were the schools:

Pleasant View
Poplar Creek
Woodbine
Rockhold

What do you mean thought that was the schools? you just saw that in the news journal articleSmile. and I'm guessing you read that they didn't have a football team. they are small community schools that remained elementary schools.I hope you ain't trying to compare to them to Cawood.
You said I had no clue. I thought I was missing something. I looked them up in the old KHSAA records and those were the same as in the story, and I guess some/all are still elementary schools.
Only one of the three Cawood schools are still open.
they are building a new Pleasant View school now. Poplar Creek is now Whitley East Elementary. Rockholds closed several years ago and Whitley North Elementary was built.I don't remember Woodbine school being open so it must have closed long ago. just curious, How many Elementary schools do you have in Harlan County? Do you know anything about the history of Blackstar?
Eight in the county district (James A. Cawood, Cawood, Wallins, Cumberland, Green Hills, Evarts, Black Mountain and Rosspoint).
Yes, Black Star closed in 65, I think. The elementary closed in 85 and burned down soon after.
I have a few clues.
HDE Wrote:Eight in the county district (James A. Cawood, Cawood, Wallins, Cumberland, Green Hills, Evarts, Black Mountain and Rosspoint).
Yes, Black Star closed in 65, I think. The elementary closed in 85 and burned down soon after.
I have a few clues.

I didn't mean to hijack this thread Smile. I was just curious about blackstar.
Back in the coal boom days Harlan County had like 10 (give or take a few) high schools. Harlan County used to be one of the wealthiest counties in the country. Now look at us, THANKS Obama!
bear claw Wrote:Back in the coal boom days Harlan County had like 10 (give or take a few) high schools. Harlan County used to be one of the wealthiest counties in the country. Now look at us, THANKS Obama!

I had family there before, and during the Depression. looks like another depression now.hopefully something changes for the good.
Anybody no if Johnson central pick up a game for week 6 , are we stuck just playing 9 games this season , I no ncc Scott and north odem was open week six ,
eagles2011 Wrote:Anybody no if Johnson central pick up a game for week 6 , our we stuck just playing 9 games this season , I no new cath Scott and north odem was open week six ,

Don't they play Boyd County?
Warrensville heights broke the contract ,