Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Belfry 38 Harlan County 20
Well.... tough one to describe here. Belfry absolutely dominates and jump to a 38-6 lead with the starters after the first drive of the 3rd Quarter.

Pirates begin subbing very liberally short of the running clock and Harlan County does what gritty teams do and never quit. The Bears score twice with their starters vs. the deep Belfry rotation...Belfry fumbles again and have to bring the starting D back in to seal it with an INT.

Starters for Belfry simply dominated...as for the reserves...well.... lets just say they are going to be running A LOT this week.
Belfry around 450 Total Yards

HC just over 100 rushing yards
2-0! Let's Go Pirates!!!!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
EKUAlum05 Wrote:Well.... tough one to describe here. Belfry absolutely dominates and jump to a 38-6 lead with the starters after the first drive of the 3rd Quarter.

Pirates begin subbing very liberally short of the running clock and Harlan County does what gritty teams do and never quit. The Bears score twice with their starters vs. the deep Belfry rotation...Belfry fumbles again and have to bring the starting D back in to seal it with an INT.

Starters for Belfry simply dominated...as for the reserves...well.... lets just say they are going to be running A LOT this week.

The bolded made me Confusednicker:
Check out my YouTube channel.
www.youtube.com/c/AlexGreenDifferentBreed
Sounded like Belfry played sloppy at times. I don't think HC is in The Pirates league. Belfry has the best program in the mountains. Coach Hayward is second to no one, that is for sure. Probably the best to ever coach in the mountains. What a class act.
watcher Wrote:Sounded like Belfry played sloppy at times. I don't think HC is in The Pirates league. Belfry has the best program in the mountains. Coach Hayward is second to no one, that is for sure. Probably the best to ever coach in the mountains. What a class act.

The Belfry reserves allowed the scores not the starters.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
The Pirate offense is working on getting its mojo, totally understandable after loosing your starting QB, top 2 rushers and your leading receiver moves to QB. The offensive upside is very, very high though. Great potential.

The starting defense is currently lights out. They don't give up a lot and they will pop you good and they are only going to get better.

The reserves, well lets just say those poor guys are in for a wake up call Monday.
I feel sorry for the reserves...haha
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
As for Harlan Co. great effort. Props to those young men for not giving up. I don't blame Larkey and company one bit for "feeding" on the young Belfry reserves. Good on them for teaching the young Pirates that just because you are getting put in to relieve the starters doesn't mean the other team is going to let you off easy.
BelfryPride Wrote:The Belfry reserves allowed the scores not the starters.

The 1st 6 was on the starters. Although on a Pirate turnover on their own 2 yard line.
You have to like what you saw out of the 1's though.

Belfry had outgained HC around 400-50 and only allowed 2 first downs... the lone HC score came after an INT return inside the 5... the passing game needs work for sure and Harlan County played the option really well, but they were getting anything they wanted between the tackles. The Belfry Front 7 simply dominated a very good Harlan County O-line and essentially shut down an offense that came inrunning for over 300+ yards per game.

Now call me crazy.... and this is just a hair brained theory... but I can't help but wonder if the premature gear shift has a little something to do with the 2013 Belfry vs. Southwestern game. Could it be Haywood wanted to have reason to lay into his team and keep their attention after Belfry layed an egg in Somerset last year? I don't know maybe I am just talking out loud there....
Let the nit-picking begin. Folks, the Pirates were opening a can on the Black Bears and Haywood called off the dogs. There is a difference between 1st and 2nd string for a reason.
#1 Blackcat Fan Wrote:The 1st 6 was on the starters. Although on a Pirate turnover on their own 2 yard line.

Meh...2 games in and only 13 pts on Belfry's starters. Not bad. I'm with EKU, we needed some adverse situations to keep this team grounded.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
I think when Taylor to Joplin/Corbett gets the rhythm down they will be a dangerous connection.
Black Bears rolled into CAM and got their head kicked in. No two ways about it, I hope driving all over the reserves to make the score look pretty helps Larkey sleep, because he just took a whipping. Belfry subbed VERY early. Score doesn't indicate this game at all, it was never in doubt.
Dominating performance by the Pirates until Haywood took the foot off the gas pedal too early. Could have been 55-6 easily.

Good job Belfry.
^^ yep
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
A few superlatives:

- Dakota Stanley..... huge game from him. He had I think 3,maybe even 4 tackles for loss and he was bringing the wood

- Nate Sanger... Sanger continues to impress as he grows into his spot. He is really coming a long nicely and has proven to have a nose for the football. May not be the name making the solo tackle but almost every play his name is in there being in on the tackle.

- Ray Horton... I know I brag on him a lot, but this kid truly is a special talent and I honestly think he has that rare chance to join the "best ever" distinction at his position in Belfry history. Kid absolutely wreaked havoc against very, very good competition across the ball.If he continues to bust his butt there is no telling what the ceiling is for him as I honestly feel he may be an All-State 1st Team type of talent right now as a Sophomore.
- Another stellar night by the starting Belfry Oline. Francis, Gibbs, Preece, Dotson, Mullins, and Bentley.... these guys are a special group.
- Hatfield...Beast Mode Kentucky HS Edition.... his ability to break Multiple tackles every carry is truly special
- Willis.... nice night as X continues to show he is more than capable as the Belfry feature back

For Harlan County the Huff kid deserves special mention. Kid never quit and did something you don't see against this Belfry Front 7 very much... he broke multiple tackles on multiple runs. Tough as nails!
I know Belfry could of hung 70 on HC. I don't think Haywood would ever let that happen. That was great for the reserves to get some playing time against HC's starters.
About what expected. Good win Belfry.
EKUAlum05 Wrote:A few superlatives:

- Dakota Stanley..... huge game from him. He had I think 3,maybe even 4 tackles for loss and he was bringing the wood

- Nate Sanger... Sanger continues to impress as he grows into his spot. He is really coming a long nicely and has proven to have a nose for the football. May not be the name making the solo tackle but almost every play his name is in there being in on the tackle.

- Ray Horton... I know I brag on him a lot, but this kid truly is a special talent and I honestly think he has that rare chance to join the "best ever" distinction at his position in Belfry history. Kid absolutely wreaked havoc against very, very good competition across the ball.If he continues to bust his butt there is no telling what the ceiling is for him as I honestly feel he may be an All-State 1st Team type of talent right now as a Sophomore.
- Another stellar night by the starting Belfry Oline. Francis, Gibbs, Preece, Dotson, Mullins, and Bentley.... these guys are a special group.
- Hatfield...Beast Mode Kentucky HS Edition.... his ability to break Multiple tackles every carry is truly special
- Willis.... nice night as X continues to show he is more than capable as the Belfry feature back

For Harlan County the Huff kid deserves special mention. Kid never quit and did something you don't see against this Belfry Front 7 very much... he broke multiple tackles on multiple runs. Tough as nails!

Poor kid, has to try to solo tackle with one arm! Lol, can't be easy, hopefully that cast won't be on too much longer.
Hope this series continues
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Here you go Harlan County fans that drove three hours to watch this massacre...

[YOUTUBE="Keep Believing Harlan County"]PBEXSiFzOfU[/YOUTUBE]

Confusednicker:

[YOUTUBE="Dream On...."]yyfNHlqymP8[/YOUTUBE]
Congrats to Belfry. Harlan will regroup and get better.
Is there any way Belfry will not win a state championship.
Real Badman Wrote:Is there any way Belfry will not win a state championship.

Plenty of them...

Injuries and turnovers namely.

With that sad as long as Belfry stays focused and continue to develop this young team they are definitely planting themselves as the consensus favorite in 3A. People got upset when Pirate fans started talking about how strong they will be for this year and the two years to follow...but with this team that is heavily loaded with youth I think people are starting to see where those thoughts came from.
BelfryPride Wrote:Meh...2 games in and only 13 pts on Belfry's starters. Not bad. I'm with EKU, we needed some adverse situations to keep this team grounded.

really only 6 points against the 1st team defense,the Henry Clay score was on special teams...
Belfry is proving to be the prohibitive favorite in 3A.
I consider myself to be knowledgable when it comes to football, and I'm here to tell ya right now this Belfry team is very, very impressive!

Let me start by sending praise to the defense. There defense is super good. D line is big and very athletic these guys get after the ball. I especially like the way #40 plays defensive end this kid does not miss a assignment and contains or stretches everything that comes his way. Linebackers are head hunters with good speed and very physical, and I know it's early to brag on the secondary but there very athletic with good speed. To only surrender 6 points thru 2 games against a top ten 6A and a top ten 5A speaks for itself.

Moving over to the offense, it all starts with the hogs upfront and boy does Belfry have the hogs in the trenches. These guys dominate the line of scrimmage. Huge, strong and very disciplined. The backfield is loaded with talent, they can throw 8 different backs at a team all night long. The timing is still getting lined out, but like all Haywood teams it's a work in progress just getting better each week.

Belfry could have beat Harlan Co. By 50 tonight if Haywood wasn't such a class act. Harlan Co. Has some really nice athletes and a very big line as well, but this Belfry team is special. If they can stay grounded and focus on getting better each week then I don't think there is a team in 3A that can touch them. I think as of right now this team could be one of the top 10 teams in the state. (Just my opinion)
cuppett777 Wrote:really only 6 points against the 1st team defense,the Henry Clay score was on special teams...

LOL the only TD Harlan scored was after a turnover started the drive at the 2.