3. Johnson Central 11-1
4. Bell County 7-5
5. Harlan County 8-4
6. Middlesboro 9-3
7. Prestonsburg 7-6
8. Williamsburg 11-3
9. Hazard 11-2
10. Knox Central 6-5
Looks about right to me they did a great job this year.
Corbin is better than Middlesboro.
Bobcats 9108 Wrote:Looks about right to me they did a great job this year.

Come on now. Is that because it's good or because they ranked bell so high?
I'll say this. They got the first three right.
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:Come on now. Is that because it's good or because they ranked bell so high?
I'll say this. They got the first three right.

They have it right it will change some but not much. No Bell is right for now but look for them to move a little. I think they will replace JC and not much further because Pulaski and Belfry will not lose for a while. Just wait and see Gut about the Bobcats this year.
I'll preface this by saying, I agree with these rankings... but I have to be arrogant...
We may be #2 in the mountains but we are the
CURRENT, REIGNING, AND DEFENDING 3A STATE CHAMPIONS OF KENTUCKY.

...and we'll take #1 in 3A over #1 in the mountain top 10 any day... Hey Pulaski County, let's bring two home this year.
Corbin should be 4 and then just bump everyone down one spot.
HAROLD Wrote:Corbin should be 4 and then just bump everyone down one spot.

Don't see how. They haven't proved anything in a while.
I see 3 teams on that list that Pikeville beat last year. There will be many changes in the Top 10 throughout the year.
Bobcats 9108 Wrote:They have it right it will change some but not much. No Bell is right for now but look for them to move a little. I think they will replace JC and not much further because Pulaski and Belfry will not lose for a while. Just wait and see Gut about the Bobcats this year.

I agree with you Bell fans that Bell should stay ranked ahead of Corbin until Corbin proves otherwise, but unless Bell Improved vastly from last season when I seen them play twice, I don't see them as the 4th best team in EKY.
If they haven't improved much and are the 4th best team then mountain football is extremely down from top to bottom.

Pulaski is #1 and will remain there. They are on a different level than anyone else. PC has the chance to be the best "mountain" team in quite some time. Belfry is Belfry and should be number 2, I don't think anyone deserves that spot but them, and JC is close behind.
After that I think the wheels fall off. Teams like Bell, Harlan County, and Knox have dropped off considerably over the past 2 or 3 years, and unless something big happens, I don't see any of them being much better this year. I don't know how they have Mboro ranked that high. Sure they beat Bell last year, but as I said earlier, Bell wasn't a good football team last year, and Mboro lost the one guy who could coach that team into a top 10 mountain team. Beauty contest wise, I think schools like Pburg, Wburg, and Hazard will all have very good season with great records, but how would those schools match up against a team like North Laurel, SW Pulaski, or even Corbin? I don't think theyd do very well.
standings looking very good
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:I agree with you Bell fans that Bell should stay ranked ahead of Corbin until Corbin proves otherwise, but unless Bell Improved vastly from last season when I seen them play twice, I don't see them as the 4th best team in EKY.
If they haven't improved much and are the 4th best team then mountain football is extremely down from top to bottom.

Pulaski is #1 and will remain there. They are on a different level than anyone else. PC has the chance to be the best "mountain" team in quite some time. Belfry is Belfry and should be number 2, I don't think anyone deserves that spot but them, and JC is close behind.
After that I think the wheels fall off. Teams like Bell, Harlan County, and Knox have dropped off considerably over the past 2 or 3 years, and unless something big happens, I don't see any of them being much better this year. I don't know how they have Mboro ranked that high. Sure they beat Bell last year, but as I said earlier, Bell wasn't a good football team last year, and Mboro lost the one guy who could coach that team into a top 10 mountain team. Beauty contest wise, I think schools like Pburg, Wburg, and Hazard will all have very good season with great records, but how would those schools match up against a team like North Laurel, SW Pulaski, or even Corbin? I don't think theyd do very well.

All in all, I agree with what you said. I personally do not like voting on the Mountain Top 10 because of some of the reasons you said ('fancy' names legitimately competing with bigger, less successful schools, etc.). I think it creates more controversy than it does conversation and debate, BUT it brings in money and I think that's the primary reason for it. That's just my opinion, but we all know how little my opinion is valued. :thatsfunn

-Josh McKinney
too many 1A teams and too many overrated teams in the top 10 listed above.Southwestern is not even listed. I think they will move up in the top 5 quickly.
StrikeoutKing Wrote:All in all, I agree with what you said. I personally do not like voting on the Mountain Top 10 because of some of the reasons you said ('fancy' names legitimately competing with bigger, less successful schools, etc.). I think it creates more controversy than it does conversation and debate, BUT it brings in money and I think that's the primary reason for it. That's just my opinion, but we all know how little my opinion is valued. :thatsfunn

-Josh McKinney

Confusednicker:
I never disagree with my friends at WYMT :biggrin:

Many viewers and members of this site don't understand how the rankings work, but I think the way you do them are the best way to go about it. Teams in lower classes should be ranked if there doing well. Just like Wburg being ranked after only losing two starters and being state runner ups. They have every right to be in the mountain top ten even if there are teams in higher classes that could beat them but lose in the first round of the 4A or 5A playoffs.
A world without sports overtime and the mountain top ten would be a world id rather not live in. Its become a way of like for EKY fans.

One request though from a life long viewer of sports overtime.....Take it back to a one hour show and take calls. You might get some idiots, but it sure makes for good television...(And I don't want to hear about CBS not letting you ConfusednickerSmile And guest appearances from Milam, Derrick, and the Arkansas guy shouldn't be to much to ask...
wildcats fan Wrote:1. Pulaski County 14-1
2. Belfry 14-1
3. Johnson Central 11-1
4. Bell County 7-5
5. Harlan County 8-4
6. Middlesboro 9-3
7. Prestonsburg 7-6
8. Williamsburg 11-3
9. Hazard 11-2
10. Knox Central 6-5

When I look at this and Corbin record last year was 9-3 and they are not in the top ten better than 5 other teams I wonder who voting.I will also say Williamsburg would beat bell,middlesboro,Prestonsburg and throw in Harlan County this year.I vote Corbin #4 Williamsburg #5 Just my opinion. Confusedmoke:
64SUR Wrote:When I look at this and Corbin record last year was 9-3 and they are not in the top ten better than 5 other teams I wonder who voting.I will also say Williamsburg would beat bell,middlesboro,Prestonsburg and throw in Harlan County this year.I vote Corbin #4 Williamsburg #5 Just my opinion. Confusedmoke:

Confusednicker:
64SUR Wrote:When I look at this and Corbin record last year was 9-3 and they are not in the top ten better than 5 other teams I wonder who voting.I will also say Williamsburg would beat bell,middlesboro,Prestonsburg and throw in Harlan County this year.I vote Corbin #4 Williamsburg #5 Just my opinion. Confusedmoke:

You got that emoji right you are smoking crack.
Bobcats 9108 Wrote:You got that emoji right you are smoking crack.

Confusednicker:

tell us why Williamsburg would beat those teams

I think you sold WYMT crack Bobcats 9108. Remind me at the end of the season :please:

pjdoug Wrote:tell us why Williamsburg would beat those teams

I Don't have time. Confusednicker:
64SUR Wrote:I think you sold WYMT crack Bobcats 9108. Remind me at the end of the season :please:

Will do. Williamsburg does have a great team for 1A. We will see talk to me in a few weeks and you will see how good the Bobcats are. :redboxer:
Do not want to here that from W'burg . They had their shot to play Bell and Middlesboro and chose to play a 9 game schedule.
Bobcats 9108 Wrote:Will do. Williamsburg does have a great team for 1A. We will see talk to me in a few weeks and you will see how good the Bobcats are. :redboxer:

Ok 9108 :igiveup:
Xerxes Wrote:Do not want to here that from W'burg . They had their shot to play Bell and Middlesboro and chose to play a 9 game schedule.

Another crack smoker join the Club. :welcome:
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:Confusednicker:
I never disagree with my friends at WYMT :biggrin:

Many viewers and members of this site don't understand how the rankings work, but I think the way you do them are the best way to go about it. Teams in lower classes should be ranked if there doing well. Just like Wburg being ranked after only losing two starters and being state runner ups. They have every right to be in the mountain top ten even if there are teams in higher classes that could beat them but lose in the first round of the 4A or 5A playoffs.
A world without sports overtime and the mountain top ten would be a world id rather not live in. Its become a way of like for EKY fans.

One request though from a life long viewer of sports overtime.....Take it back to a one hour show and take calls. You might get some idiots, but it sure makes for good television...(And I don't want to hear about CBS not letting you ConfusednickerSmile And guest appearances from Milam, Derrick, and the Arkansas guy shouldn't be to much to ask...

Believe me, a group of us tried to push the show back to 40 minutes, but like I said before, my opinion doesn't mean much (and not just on BGR...haha). Having Milam and Derek and some other guys make an appearance isn't a bad idea, but they all do shows on Friday nights too, and at the same time.

Rankings don't mean anything as it is, but especially preseason rankings. They're all speculation. The way it looks now will be very, very different in 4-5 weeks IMO.
I don't consider PC a mountain school. I don't they consider themselves a mountain school either.
64SUR Wrote:Another crack smoker join the Club. :welcome:

Confusednicker:
Corbin beat Knox Central last year 27-0 and returns dang near everyone so that alone says this top 10 is ridiculous. I hope folks keep sleeping on the Redhounds though.
oldhound70s Wrote:I don't consider PC a mountain school. I don't they consider themselves a mountain school either.

I dont either but they are ranked in the mountain top 10.