Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
8-22 Newport Central Catholic @ Ashland
Harry Rex Vonner Wrote:I gather that you don't like Ironton very much. Why do you play poor winless Sheldon Clark? A game against a decent team would be of more benefit, wouldn't it? I know you are stuck with playing Rowan County, Boyd County, and Greenup County but Sheldon Clark will do nothing to help you prepare for the big time.
I agree swapping Belfry for Sheldon Clark was a bad idea not sure why it happened. Have not got a good answer to that question yet. Respect Ironton and Lutz but we gave gotten the shaft more then a few times at Tank over the years.
:Thumbs:18 days
T-CATS Wrote:I agree swapping Belfry for Sheldon Clark was a bad idea not sure why it happened. Have not got a good answer to that question yet. Respect Ironton and Lutz but we gave gotten the shaft more then a few times at Tank over the years.

Wheelersburg would have been a good opponent. Ironton does tend to tip the scales a bit.
Newport Catholic 21
Ashland 20

I'm looking forward to seeing this one.
New Cath in a close one.
I am as well should be one of the better week 1 matchups but your score is a little off! 2 weeks from tonight we will find out! Baker is unbelievable!!!!
One of the better matchups of the week? I say its the best matchup. #2-2a and #8-4a the first week.......let's get it on! It's going to be a charged atmosphere, a highly recruited running back and "payback" (?) from last years loss, I hate to see this potential rivalry go away. This will be a tighter game than I originally thought, but who ever comes out on the short end shouldn't hang their heads beacause these are two talented teams.
NCC by 40. Well, that's what they should win by if they want to be considered a legitimate team in their class this year. They certainly won't win a title, and they definitely wouldn't beat highlands, if they don't win this game big.
Harry Rex Vonner Wrote:Wheelersburg would have been a good opponent. Ironton does tend to tip the scales a bit.

Ashland wrote the book on scale tipping. Good to know it works both ways haha.

Confusednicker:
WideRight05 Wrote:NCC by 40. Well, that's what they should win by if they want to be considered a legitimate team in their class this year. They certainly won't win a title, and they definitely wouldn't beat highlands, if they don't win this game big.

For once, we agree. Tomcats will have to do better than this.

NewCath by a touchdown
Lots of talk about Ashland making noise in 4A this year. If that is the case, they should win this game easily. NCC is a good small school, but not challenge for the top tier teams in 4A! If Ashland just squeks out a win or gets beat, you can mark them off as a 4A contender!
sstack Wrote:Lots of talk about Ashland making noise in 4A this year. If that is the case, they should win this game easily. NCC is a good small school, but not challenge for the top tier teams in 4A! If Ashland just squeks out a win or gets beat, you can mark them off as a 4A contender!

I don't say this condescendingly, even though it will sound like that, but there is no way that Ashland is in 4A contention unless they have improved 100% over last year. They have to overcome way too much of a talent gap to be able to compete with Highlands or CovCath this year.
What make's you say that?
I am as well should be one of the better week 1 matchups but your score is a little off! 2 weeks from tonight we will find out! Baker is unbelievable!!!!

I have only seen Baker two or three times.Severely over hyped,I look for a lot more out of him this year.Up to this point I'm not impressed.
^^^agreed. He is FAST...VERY....VERY FAST. But Raceland hit him, NCC hit him and he slows down. I think Long could potentially fly under the radar and steal the show given the opportunity.
Scotty_Bronson Wrote:^^^agreed. He is FAST...VERY....VERY FAST. But Raceland hit him, NCC hit him and he slows down. I think Long could potentially fly under the radar and steal the show given the opportunity.

He didn't slow down against NewCath last year. He didn't hit the hole very hard, so the coaches put him in position to get into space. When he is there, he's going to win almost every one-on-one battle. The key is keeping contain.
Last year the Tomcats came to Newport out of shape and paid for it. They had the size and speed, and NewCath was very accommodating in refusing to deal the death blow, but most of the Ashland kids were bent over by the second quarter. They were cramping from before halftime onward, and play was stopped at least a dozen times. Get the kids in shape and Ashland should defend home turf successfully, but if the conditioning is the same as in the past it could be a long, hot night.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
The Cannon Still Roars.....
NewCath is smaller this year, and will struggle to score points, even before their starting QB broke his leg on Friday. I don't think that their defense will hold Baker any better than it did last year. I hope I'm wrong, but I'll go 31-14 Ashland.
NCC's defense did what they could last year. NCC never has the athletes to play with a kid like Baker, they have to be better coached and in better shape. That may have been the difference last season. It wont be this season, I feel he will have a monster game and Ashland wins by more than 17 points. You never want to see a kid get hurt, but Schilling was not going to be the starter anyway. NCC will take its lumps early, they have never had a problem playing up. You have no choice when the other small schools in the area refuse to play you. NCC will eventually get back to the state title game, not because they are that good, but because like every year, 2A is a cakewalk.
Not sure I am buying the Lou Holtz impression.
You guys have high standards. Baker had over 200 yards against NCC last year and a lack of conditioning has little to do with cramps. Do you think Julius Randle and Lebron are out of shape?
Leaping Lee Wrote:You guys have high standards. Baker had over 200 yards against NCC last year and a lack of conditioning has little to do with cramps. Do you think Julius Randle and Lebron are out of shape?

No, but being gassed before halftime has something to do with conditioning, or lack thereof. Ashland should handle NewCath convincingly, but they never seem to do it. This year should be their year, though. NewCath is small, undermanned, and playing IN a legend. I'd really like to make it to this game, but I don't see it happening.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
The Cannon Still Roars.....
Lee gets cramps once per month himself.
Would like to see the Tcats get this W.. Baker is tough could beat anybody on a given night.
Can you dig it? Wrote:Last year the Tomcats came to Newport out of shape and paid for it. They had the size and speed, and NewCath was very accommodating in refusing to deal the death blow, but most of the Ashland kids were bent over by the second quarter. They were cramping from before halftime onward, and play was stopped at least a dozen times. Get the kids in shape and Ashland should defend home turf successfully, but if the conditioning is the same as in the past it could be a long, hot night.

Can you dig it? Wrote:No, but being gassed before halftime has something to do with conditioning, or lack thereof. Ashland should handle NewCath convincingly, but they never seem to do it. This year should be their year, though. NewCath is small, undermanned, and playing IN a legend. I'd really like to make it to this game, but I don't see it happening.

I hope you can see why I thought you meant otherwise.
washed up Wrote:Lee gets cramps once per month himself.

And I'm in shape.
Rescheduled for 4 Saturday hopefully!!!
T-CATS Wrote:Rescheduled for 4 Saturday hopefully!!!

If it is rescheduled, it should be done according to the wishes of NCC. Why should they come clear down to Ashland, have Ashland cancel the game, and wait around to suit Ashland's perceived schedule? I realize that the fireworks would not have done well and the statue may even be a bit wet but NCC shouldn't be expected to cater to Ashland. If it rains on Ashland's party, too bad. NCC owes Ashland nothing.

Obviously, the right thing to do would be to reschedule according to NCC's will or to cancel the whole thing. However, don't hold your breath expecting the right thing.
We did look at the newest picture I put up ain't playing tonight. Helps NCC out because Baker and Long are going to wear them out.