Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Greatest cinderella story in high school basketball you've ever seen?
The 1988-Buckhorn Wildcats

Now for those of you not familiar with Buckhorn High school,
They use to play their games in a log cabin gym, no joke!
They are in the 14th region and Hazard, M.C Napier, Knott Central, Breathitt co. pretty much dominated at this time. The Ironic thing was some of the kids on the team went to the above formentioned schools but for some reason were'nt good enough to play for them. The best move they ever made! Buckhorn puts you in the mind of the movie Hoosiers.
Buckhorn had a great player, who scored 0ver 40 points in a game a couple of times, but midway through the season, he was diagnosed with cancer. So here was Buckhorn, the smallest team and school in the region
which beat all the odds and for their teammate, won the 14th region.
They faced Cov. Holmes in the sweet-16, which had the states leading scorer that year. Buckhorn was down by about 20, made a run, had a couple of guards who lit it up! Tied the game up with around 2 minutes to go, but fell short. Great story about the will to win, no matter what the odds were!:king:
Carr Creek is a great story Smile
"vince" Wrote:The 1988-Buckhorn Wildcats

Now for those of you not familiar with Buckhorn High school,
They use to play their games in a log cabin gym, no joke!
They are in the 14th region and Hazard, M.C Napier, Knott Central, Breathitt co. pretty much dominated at this time. The Ironic thing was some of the kids on the team went to the above formentioned schools but for some reason were'nt good enough to play for them. The best move they ever made! Buckhorn puts you in the mind of the movie Hoosiers.
Buckhorn had a great player, who scored 0ver 40 points in a game a couple of times, but midway through the season, he was diagnosed with cancer. So here was Buckhorn, the smallest team and school in the region
which beat all the odds and for their teammate, won the 14th region.
They faced Cov. Holmes in the sweet-16, which had the states leading scorer that year. Buckhorn was down by about 20, made a run, had a couple of guards who lit it up! Tied the game up with around 2 minutes to go, but fell short. Great story about the will to win, no matter what the odds were!:king:

now man if all of this is true i would love to see a move about it, great story.
I remember that Buckhorn team. . . . . . I got to see them in person at the Sweet 16 that year.

When you look at what Clay County did in 1987 (and even more so in 1988--with the exception that they lost), most people wouldn't think it was that big of a deal--UNTIL YOU LOOK AT WHO THEY HAD TO BEAT TO WIN IT.

Pulaski County in 1986 was another Cinderella story as well.
South Floyd in 2001 was a good they had been beaten to death by a couple of teams. Shelby Valley beat them by around 50 towards the end of the season that year then they come out on fire and win the 15th and go on to lose to clay county who had a great team that year.
I would think that Carr Creek was a great Cinderella story in 1956. But then again I would consider them the best team to ever play in Kentucky HS Basketball History.
The 02'-03' Cumberland team.
Whitesburg a few years back.
Breckinridge County in 1995 winning the State Championship.
04 Prestonsburg when they didnt win one district game all year and ended up winning the district tourny ! And then beating SV in the first round of the region !!!!
"blackcat_student" Wrote:04 Prestonsburg when they didnt win one district game all year and ended up winning the district tourny ! And then beating SV in the first round of the region !!!!

If thats the greatest cinderella story you've ever seen..A team winning a weak district, upsetting one team, and then losing in the 2nd round of region?? Then that's awful...
"daynightdh" Wrote:Breckinridge County in 1995 winning the State Championship.

:thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

I'll second that
"alfus21" Wrote:If thats the greatest cinderella story you've ever seen..A team winning a weak district, upsetting one team, and then losing in the 2nd round of region?? Then that's awful...
Still a little sour about that one, alfus? I agree that it wasn't that great but only because the fact that everyone in the region knew that Prestonsburg team had the talent to beat anyone.
"alfus21" Wrote:If thats the greatest cinderella story you've ever seen..A team winning a weak district, upsetting one team, and then losing in the 2nd round of region?? Then that's awful...

Well thats still a cinderella team! Well i just keep up with Pburg!
I agree with the 2004 Pburg team. Shelby Valley was supposed to win it all and we beat them! It was so nice!
1996 Paintsville Tigers......10 losses going into the District Tournament. Having to beat Magoffin at Salyersville in the District finals, then playing them in a nail biter in the Regional Championship game. Winning the first two games in the Sweet Sixteen in the last five to ten seconds, then having to face a team that beat you by a bundle three weeks earlier in the semi's, Lexington Catholic.
A Cinderella Team, in my opinion, is one that wins all the marbles, when no one expected them to.