•  Previous
  • 9(current)
  • Next 
  Thread Closed
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hold Backs
I still disagree with the hold backs for sports reasons. But I also still think once those hold backs gets in high school then the talent level catches up, they dont dominate like they did in the middle school program. Take for example when Shelby Valley and South Floyd played a freshman game. South Floyd beat them even though they had no hold backs at all on their team. Shelby Vallys freshman team is pretty much made up of hold backs. Age is a factor in middle school sports, but in my opinion, age cant make up for heart and the will to win.
i disagree you shouldnt hold your kid back to oplay sports you should be more concerned with their academics than sports
I disagree with holding a child back to play sports. First of all I think it gives the kid the impression that sports is more important than academics. In this day and time kids mature fast anyways so getting held back for maturity reasons is a bunch of crap. All it boils down to is the parents think that if they hold their kid back 2 years in grade school that when they get to high school that they will be a basketball star. Besides when these holdbacks play middleschool ball and beat teams that don't have holdbacks then in my opinion there really isn't no accomplishment what to they do go around and they brag they beat a bunch of 11 and 12 year olds. I think that holding your child back to play sports is totally wrong, and thats the only reason these kids get held back because what parent in their right mind would hold back a kid with good grades.
"ACE" Wrote:Disagree, if you can't compete with kids your own age then you shouldn't be able to compete. Not fair to the class under you.
i agreewith you big time i have alot of freinds that are hold back and they are just the same as me they just are a little more know because they did real good wile we went on holding your self back dont make you an allstar hard work and dertamation does :champ:
Nothin wrong with it...if it's for the right reasons!
I don't see anything wrong with being held back if the child isn't mature enough but get held back mroe then once is getting a little out of hand.
Basketballonly fan the last time SF and SV freshman play SV won both games by 20+
???????????
I don't have any children, but if I did I would want to start them in school a year later than usual. I'd rather have my kids graduate at 18 or 19 than 17. Plus you get to keep them around the house for another year. They also should be more mature at that age to enter the big world, whether they go to college or not.
"DOC" Wrote:I don't have any children, but if I did I would want to start them in school a year later than usual. I'd rather have my kids graduate at 18 or 19 than 17. Plus you get to keep them around the house for another year. They also should be more mature at that age to enter the big world, whether they go to college or not.
You dont think they will be mature enough at 17 to live in a dorm? I think it is funny because kids are maturing faster these days then they did when we was young.
Agree on the whole hold back thing.
"i-dono" Wrote:Nothin wrong with it...if it's for the right reasons!
That's what i've been saying the whole time.
"DOC" Wrote:I don't have any children, but if I did I would want to start them in school a year later than usual. I'd rather have my kids graduate at 18 or 19 than 17. Plus you get to keep them around the house for another year. They also should be more mature at that age to enter the big world, whether they go to college or not.
I agree
I disagree with being heldback for any other reason than academic need. It used to be an embarrassment to be held back.....now, it's an athletic honor? Where is it all going to end?
Kids should be able to stay back if they want to.
I think the idea of holding a student back for reasons relating to athletics is completely wrong. I have many reasons for my attitude about this but I will mention one in particular: If you do this, what kind of message does that send your young man or woman about what is important in school and in life?
"GoBigRed" Wrote:I hear Belfry Middle will get a large number of holddbacks because that is how they think they can win?

Any thoughts?

Rolleyes because that is how they think they can win??? LOL # 1 The majority of teams we've played...half the starters were hold backs, so I'd say if BMS did the hold back thing it would be to be EQUAL with the other teams...# 2 you act like they have lost ALL of there games :Shaking: ....and the 7th graders have a real good record! Consider the fact that these kids from several different schools have been thrown together to try to play TEAM ball for the first year...these other schools have already been playing together and building teams. We're just getting started and doing just fine for a first year program.
"BasketBallonlyfan" Wrote:You dont think they will be mature enough at 17 to live in a dorm? I think it is funny because kids are maturing faster these days then they did when we was young.
Maybe. I was 17 when I started college and I wasn't ready. It took me a while to adapt.

I don't know about your "kids are maturing faster these days than they did when we were young" statement. For a young person to think they are mature is one thing, but to actually be mature is another. Too many teens think they should be accepted into the adult world before they'e actually ready for those type of responsiblities, imo. Acting adult doesn't make one an adult.

I still say most students would be better off starting college when they're 19 rather than at a younger age.
"wildcat fan" Wrote:I disagree with holding a child back to play sports. First of all I think it gives the kid the impression that sports is more important than academics. In this day and time kids mature fast anyways so getting held back for maturity reasons is a bunch of crap. All it boils down to is the parents think that if they hold their kid back 2 years in grade school that when they get to high school that they will be a basketball star. Besides when these holdbacks play middleschool ball and beat teams that don't have holdbacks then in my opinion there really isn't no accomplishment what to they do go around and they brag they beat a bunch of 11 and 12 year olds. I think that holding your child back to play sports is totally wrong, and thats the only reason these kids get held back because what parent in their right mind would hold back a kid with good grades.

Hold Backs are a discrace, just shows how society has changed. Parents that do this have no morals.
What is a Hold Back? And if it's such a big problem why dosen't KHSAA address it? They have rules for Athletes playing High School Sports and as long as the athletes fall under the rules you guys can get on here and rant and rave all you want and it won't make a difference.
These hold backs as everyone is refering to are merely playing in the correct grades for their age under the rules established by the Kentucky High School Athletic Association.
"The Chosen 1" Wrote:Hold Backs are a discrace, just shows how society has changed. Parents that do this have no morals.

I thought I seen a stupid post a couple of weeks ago. But your post tops all. How dare you get on here and declare what is moral or immoral.
What gives you the right to question someones morality?

Your not god.
"smoothie" Wrote:I thought I seen a stupid post a couple of weeks ago. But your post tops all. How dare you get on here and declare what is moral or immoral.
What gives you the right to question someones morality?

Your not god.

Is holding a kid back for sports the right thing to do? No, isn't doing what your supposed to count as a moral? Look at Lebron he was 17 when he graduated, and your telling me to hold my kid back so he can develop more. I graduated when I was 17 and couldn't wait any longer and I don't want my kids being almost 20 when they graduate highschool.Your post sounds like my post hit the spot for you? Maybe your one of them parents I'm talking about? What does my post have anything to do with morality? Your just a dumbass or someone too stupid to realize it. Please arguing isn't your best hobby I can already tell that, you need to find something else to do.
"The Chosen 1" Wrote:Is holding a kid back for sports the right thing to do? No, isn't doing what your supposed to count as a moral? Look at Lebron he was 17 when he graduated, and your telling me to hold my kid back so he can develop more. I graduated when I was 17 and couldn't wait any longer and I don't want my kids being almost 20 when they graduate highschool.Your post sounds like my post hit the spot for you? Maybe your one of them parents I'm talking about? What does my post have anything to do with morality? Your just a dumbass or someone too stupid to realize it. Please arguing isn't your best hobby I can already tell that, you need to find something else to do.

Well actually arguing is one of my best qualities and it's part of my profession. Your the dumbass for making a post generalizing that all parents whose children were retained in a grade for one reason or the other are without morals. I didn't say that you did.
And yes any post that questions someones morality like you did is stupid.
Yes doing what is right is moral, but show me where holding a kid is right or wrong. There are no rules for this it's only opinions and for you to say that holding a kid back is immoral is a joke.
I don't agree that it is O.K. to hold a kid back for any other reason except for educational purposes.. I don't understand why on earth those kids who are "hold backs" would agree to this.. I couldn't wait to graduate and go to college!! anyway this is just my opinion....:thanks:
I think its ok 2 do
"The Chosen 1" Wrote:Hold Backs are a discrace, just shows how society has changed. Parents that do this have no morals.

Please explain to us why it is "immoral" in your opinion to hold a child back? Did I miss that post in the 10 commandments somewhere?

Disgrace? again, why?

Don't get on here and make statements like this without the knowledge and courage to back up those statements.
"The Chosen 1" Wrote:Is holding a kid back for sports the right thing to do? No, isn't doing what your supposed to count as a moral? Look at Lebron he was 17 when he graduated, and your telling me to hold my kid back so he can develop more. I graduated when I was 17 and couldn't wait any longer and I don't want my kids being almost 20 when they graduate highschool.Your post sounds like my post hit the spot for you? Maybe your one of them parents I'm talking about? What does my post have anything to do with morality? Your just a dumbass or someone too stupid to realize it. Please arguing isn't your best hobby I can already tell that, you need to find something else to do.
I can say that if a parent holds a kid back against his/her will, then it is wrong. I am a sophomore at age 17, I'm a hold back. It was my call. So, am I immoral when it has helped me develop as an individual and as an athlete?
"m00se" Wrote:I can say that if a parent holds a kid back against his/her will, then it is wrong. I am a sophomore at age 17, I'm a hold back. It was my call. So, am I immoral when it has helped me develop as an individual and as an athlete?
If you are a sophmore at 17, then you will be 19 when you graduate. If you was held back because your parents felt like you wasnt going to be mature enough at 18 for college so they held you back an extra year?
No, they gave me the option of holding back a year so I could get in another years with of basketball. They used maturity as a cover-up.
i c nothing wrong with holding back, im all for it
  •  Previous
  • 9(current)
  • Next