•  Previous
  • 6(current)
  • Next 
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fastest football player in your schools history?
OldJacket Wrote:Gut I would put Jermiah Morgan or Paul White on the list at Whitley....

No doubt! Jeremiah was a senior when I was a frosh I think. I believe 98 was his last year. Had Jeremiah been bigger, he could have went somewhere big.
This thread is about 4 years old lol, I think I mention Jeremiah several times on other fastest threads. The reason for mentioning Rider when I did was I had just seen him in town earlier that day, and that kid was at Whitley at the wrong time. Had he been my age, its untelling what he could have done. He was just an 8th grader when I was a senior, and we all knew he was going to be fast. White was extremely fast as well, but I don't think he would touch Morgan.

Those were in the really fun days of that Rock/Bell/Whitley district. Rock always seemed to have faster kids though during that time. It was like they always had a runningback that was out of this world. Blakely was pretty fast as well. Don't forget about Jarrod either. For his size, im not sure ive seen another kid as fast as he was.

Morgan was definitely the fastest football player I ever played with, but I think theres a difference in being fast and being quick, like I think Rider was.
Morgan kind of took over after Bobby Joe Lawson graduated, which was another very fast kid. Who was the kid that played in the backfield after Lawson in the mid 90's? I cant remember his name for the life of me. He was very underrated being in the shadow.
Anyone have a 40 time on Jeremy Britt from Danville. He played around somewhere around 97. Quick as lightning. As for Somerset in the last 30 years no one had more on the field speed than Cole Period.
T-CATS Wrote:Switzerland ran under 4.3 and Long is sub 4.5. Raceland might not be able to contain Baker this year!

I did see some highlights of this kid on youtube for UNC. This kid is a freak of nature. But I think his name is Switzer and not Switzerland lol.
I would have to say Xavier Shelton from 2009 would be way up there. I don't know, we have had a slew of fast backs and receivers.
David Jones is probably the only true 4.4 40 to come out of the mountains in a couple decades.
EKUAlum05 Wrote:David Jones is probably the only true 4.4 40 to come out of the mountains in a couple decades.

You mean to tell me all of these other sub 4.4 guys were well……not sub 4.4 EKU….?

Confusednicker:
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever."

-Mahatma Gandhi
Spirit100 Wrote:You mean to tell me all of these other sub 4.4 guys were well……not sub 4.4 EKU….?

Confusednicker:

'Tis the season....

.... to have a Sophomore noone has ever heard of to be running the elusive 4.3 40
Do-double-gg Wrote:I did see some highlights of this kid on youtube for UNC. This kid is a freak of nature. But I think his name is Switzer and not Switzerland lol.
Yea dang auto correct on my phone! Lol! Kid was a lot of fun to watch. Watched a lot of his games this past season believe he was 1st team ACC or All American. Faster then Baker or anyone Ashland has every had. Only kid I've seen live who compares to SWITZER was a kid from Ironton named Jermaine Jackson. Jackson went on to play at thee Ohio St.
There was a back in 84 or 85 that played for Somerset, Fletcher was his name I remember him to be pretty fast.
Westside Wrote:All these sub 4.5 times are cracking me up. I'm not calling anyone a liar, but I don't think people realize just how fast that really is. There may be some sub 40 times on here that are accurate, but I doubt they all are.

I agree. 4.7 is pretty fast for any kid. But they are some around. A difference between 4.5 and 4.4 is technique. I think kids are better in the last 10 years at running the forty for time than before.
Casey earls from middlesboro also David Kelley is another one.
Back in the the 60's Williamsburg had Spiz Kellogg and Gary Stanfill...
Jermaine Jackson...now that was a player! I think the biggest asset Switzer had was his vision. He was on another level in that regard...hopefully Baker from Ashland will grow into a back of his caliber. I've seen him do so kids dirty on some of his highlights and combine videos.
OldJacket Wrote:Back in the the 60's Williamsburg had Spiz Kellogg and Gary Stanfill...

a good Jellico product:Clap:
^
There were quite a few rally fast Kelloggs at Jellico.
Seems like there was a couple there in the late 90s or early 00's.
Seems like it was the last time they were competitive with wburg.
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:^
There were quite a few rally fast Kelloggs at Jellico.
Seems like there was a couple there in the late 90s or early 00's.
Seems like it was the last time they were competitive with wburg.

Whitley County needs to annex Jellico:biglmao:
I think their are more kids out there with this kind of speed then some think.
Problem is most of em probably don't even play sports.
If you listen to the experts they say running speed is about 95% genetic and 5% form. The genetic part they say is a special kind of muscle that we all have but some have more of it then others. If you think about it of all the kids in any given school only a small percent will play sports. Some of the fastest kids ever to go through the mountains probably never touched a football or a track. I would say the odds are pretty good that if you could get a 40 time on every kid in every school then we would probably be shocked at all the speed that is out there. Here is a link on why the experts think some people are faster then others.
http://www.kxly.com/news/Good-Question-W...ers/691790
pjdoug Wrote:Whitley County needs to annex Jellico:biglmao:

Or give Wburg to TN, you decide Confusednicker:
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:Or give Wburg to TN, you decide Confusednicker:

Dang GUT what are you doing up at this time of the night.......or morning!
Do-double-gg Wrote:I think their are more kids out there with this kind of speed then some think.
If you listen to the experts they say running speed is about 95% genetic and 5% form. The genetic part they say is a special kind of muscle that we all have but some have more of it then others. If you think about it of all the kids in any given school only a small percent will play sports. Some of the fastest kids ever to go through the mountains probably never touched a football or a track. I would say the odds are pretty good that if you could get a 40 time on every kid in every school then we would probably be shocked at all the speed that is out there. Here is a link on why the experts think some people are faster then others.

I agree, and I was telling somebody earlier.sadly, some poorly coached and political schools have great talent and speed riding the pine and never get playing time. some of the great players with speed seem to have an extra gear when they need it.
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:Or give Wburg to TN, you decide Confusednicker:

then Williamsburg could become a ghost town too Confusednicker:
From Paintsville you would have to say Mike "the missile" Minix , The only All-American we have ever had. I think he played for Bear Bryant at Kentucky
TigerBlues Wrote:From Paintsville you would have to say Mike "the missile" Minix , The only All-American we have ever had. I think he played for Bear Bryant at Kentucky

"The Missile" played for Blanton Collier's last UK team in 1961 and then was part of the mass departure from the program when Charlie Bradshaw was hired and promptly ran off over 70 players. Shannon Ragland's book "The Thin Thirty" is a good historical account of UK's 1961 and 1962 seasons.

Minix did manage to stay on and graduate from UK, though, and thereafter he served eastern Kentucky for many years as a doctor.
samoan mustang Wrote:From Anderson Co... Spencer Barnett this would be like 1987ish- with out a doubt!

Gitback Coach Wrote:"The Missile" played for Blanton Collier's last UK team in 1961 and then was part of the mass departure from the program when Charlie Bradshaw was hired and promptly ran off over 70 players. Shannon Ragland's book "The Thin Thirty" is a good historical account of UK's 1961 and 1962 seasons.

Minix did manage to stay on and graduate from UK, though, and thereafter he served eastern Kentucky for many years as a doctor.

Thanks coach, I didn't know much about the man but his accomplishments were something else. I'm going to read the book you mentioned.
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:No doubt! Jeremiah was a senior when I was a frosh I think. I believe 98 was his last year. Had Jeremiah been bigger, he could have went somewhere big.
This thread is about 4 years old lol, I think I mention Jeremiah several times on other fastest threads. The reason for mentioning Rider when I did was I had just seen him in town earlier that day, and that kid was at Whitley at the wrong time. Had he been my age, its untelling what he could have done. He was just an 8th grader when I was a senior, and we all knew he was going to be fast. White was extremely fast as well, but I don't think he would touch Morgan.

Those were in the really fun days of that Rock/Bell/Whitley district. Rock always seemed to have faster kids though during that time. It was like they always had a runningback that was out of this world. Blakely was pretty fast as well. Don't forget about Jarrod either. For his size, im not sure ive seen another kid as fast as he was.

Morgan was definitely the fastest football player I ever played with, but I think theres a difference in being fast and being quick, like I think Rider was.
Morgan kind of took over after Bobby Joe Lawson graduated, which was another very fast kid. Who was the kid that played in the backfield after Lawson in the mid 90's? I cant remember his name for the life of me. He was very underrated being in the shadow.

I cant remember who that running back would be either.
Do-double-gg Wrote:I think their are more kids out there with this kind of speed then some think.

I was a runner in HS and it is funny watching the kids in HS now because a lot of the top runners are kids of the top runners I ran against in HS. Genetics play a big role!
OldJacket Wrote:Gut I would put Jermiah Morgan or Paul White on the list at Whitley....

Stack was pretty quick. what was his 40 time?
TigerBlues Wrote:From Paintsville you would have to say Mike "the missile" Minix , The only All-American we have ever had. I think he played for Bear Bryant at Kentucky

Did Brad Tiller play football while he was at Paintsville? I know he went between Paintsville and Sheldon Clark both.

I do know that on the baseball field he invented fast.
Did we forget Zach Mills at Whitley County? Smile
pjdoug Wrote:Did we forget Zach Mills at Whitley County? Smile
No Question Zach is fast, but is he the fastest Colonel this year...
  •  Previous
  • 6(current)
  • Next