Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
DID VINCE McMAHON DESTROY WRESTLING?
I loved professional wrestling back when they were the big three: AWA, NWA, and WWF as well as the smaller promotions. Later I loved it when WCW and WWF did battle. Ever since Vince McMahon bought out WCW, I think wrestling sucks. I will watch Mark Henry wrestle when I accidentally stumble upon his matches while channel surfing but other than that I can't watch wrestling. I think it's trash.

What is your all's opinions?
I don't think he destroyed it. Everything has changed since the 90's, outside of wrestling. It's still one of the top shows watched, Monday Night Raw anyways. I never watch Smackdown. But I don't think he destroyed it, things have changed since WWF ERA and all the super stars we knew then are not there anymore.
I know what you mean...
it's not the same without competition...

but can you really blame the guy?
Vince did what Fritz Von Erich missed out on! WCCW was the first truly global wrestling company and Fritz just didn't listen to those like Percy Pringle (Paul Bearer) who told him that he can make WCCW the first truly national wrestling alliance.

Bill Watts had the goal of doing the same thing and was bringing in the talent to do it. Biggest difference than Vince, he was not willing to spend money to go for the global scene.

Bottmline, someone was going to step full force into PPV and whoever that was was going to take over wrestling. So, when Vince had not only the ambition, he staked every dime he had into doing it. Nobody else was willing to do that, thus he capitalized on the moment.

So, what did Vince do, he bought the talent to make his product the best. BUT, he did not kill the territories like mast blame him for. If was the 70 year old promoters who had no foresight to concentrate on their product and make it successful. Even though Vince took over the national scene, WCCW was still strong in Texas, Verne Gagne was still strong in the Midwest, NWA was still dominating the South and was a national presence, Memphis was MAKING $$$$$. The territories did absolutely the WRONG thing, and that was they decided to compete against Vince - INSTEAD of concentrating on their own product and keeping their presence strong in the territories. Their egos got the best of them, and they all tried to become National, but then it was too late. Had they stayed the course and focused on their own business, their models could have still worked up to today! It was proving itself during the 80's when Vince was getting great ratings with his WWF national product, but all of those territories were still doing great local television . Yes, their arena numbers dropped, but, they could have adjusted. Instead, they tried to match Vince, and that was their failure. Thus, Vince did not kill wrestling, the old-school promoters killed wrestling.

Jump to the 90's. Territories were gone, WWF and WCW were lighting the world on FIRE! Both companies were making so much money that both should have survived and competed forever. BUT, WCW became stupid and spent money faster than they were bringing it in! WCW killed themselves, Vince didn't. During this timeframe, and upstart called ECW was changing the business model and had Paul E kept it in the North East, he woudl still be in business today, and we would still have companies equal to the size of ECW, such as TNA and Ring of Honor. Wrestling would still be strong if the smaller companines would have stuck with their territories and not tried to be National.

No, Vince did not kill wrestling, those without his foresight did!
If I remember correctly....

WCW was once worth about a half-a-billion dollars but when Vince bought them he only paid about 3 million.

I don't think he technically paid anything for ECW - he just had to pay off their debts.
I didn't like how they handled the WCW/ECW talent during "The Invasion"...

It always left me wondering what happened to the bigger talents like Goldberg and DDP - which they brought in later on, but they simply didn't capitalize on them like WCW did.

I thought that Page in his prime was capable of big things!