•  Previous
  • 9(current)
  • Next 
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Belfry 2014
^ Good deal. Hopefully the young man buys into Pirate football and contributes next season.
Big addition. If X Willis full recovers Belfry will once again be very deep and skilled in the backfield running behind a very good and experienced line.
As far as fully recovers, I saw him riding his bike down the road a few days ago and he seems like he's good.

Where do we go in the secondary? X is too talented and needed at HB to put him at corner and risk going down again. And do you put Hatfield at LB during the regular season?
Belfry0304 Wrote:As far as fully recovers, I saw him riding his bike down the road a few days ago and he seems like he's good.

Where do we go in the secondary? X is too talented and needed at HB to put him at corner and risk going down again. And do you put Hatfield at LB during the regular season?

Can't say yet on X...but as for the bolded...you definitely have to run Hatfield at LB...at least until the other guys can improve more. When Hatfield returned to defense last year Belfry saw a night and day difference. A team that for the entire regular season was a liability on defense turned into a dominant defense almost over night.

The Belfry starting defense went from being burned for 88 points in their last two regular season games to allowing 13 points against them in the Playoffs...and even that was controversial as Bourbon had a TD that may not have ever happened had there not been some fishy game clock action.

Hatfield simply changes the entire look of the Belfry defense and for as dominant as he is on offense... I think his value to the Pirates is clearly greater at LB.

Adding to this is the fact Belfry should have the depth and flexibility to cater to this. Fletcher played great minutes at FB last year and certainly has the ability to spell him, Belfry also has enough depth at HB they can "go small" if need be as well.
Here's why I disagree, the regular season (with the exception of district) just isn't that important. I don't want to risk losing Hatfield by playing him both sides. I agree that our D was 10000x times better once he moved, but I would rather have him on both sides for the last 5 than the first 10.

I believe Keaton stays at corner, with Catron and Edwards at safety. Other corner I don't know about yet.
Belfry0304 Wrote:Here's why I disagree, the regular season (with the exception of district) just isn't that important. I don't want to risk losing Hatfield by playing him both sides. I agree that our D was 10000x times better once he moved, but I would rather have him on both sides for the last 5 than the first 10.

I believe Keaton stays at corner, with Catron and Edwards at safety. Other corner I don't know about yet.

That 2nd corner is wide open for the taking. Wouldn't be surprised at all to see an underclassman get it.I agree with your other three picks.

I still can't help but feel the Varney kid gets minutes somewhere on the field... especially after what the Freshmen were able to do last year.

I am also curious to see who joins Horton at DT and assumes the role that Hayden Hatfield left behind. Now that it appears the backfield question marks are answered the two only spots left with controversy is CB and DT.
Here is my 2 cents. If Woolum is as good an athlete as we think, he fits at CB. Catron (if not QB, which I seem to be the only one who thinks there is any chance) will play safety with Edwards. Real pleased there. Haywood has shown he will play his QB at DB, so Taylor (assuming he is QB) would still fit there. There are options tho.

IMO, Dotson could play safety. Keep in mind Fransisco will return from injury. I don't necessary see it, but there are personel options all over the place. Fletcher could play DE too if not a full timer on O.

Assume for a moment that Varney or Dotson move to in the role Catron would run. That let's Catron move to LB with Stanley. Young and Sanger could play some LB too.

If "transfer" pans out, he could play anywhere in the secondary. Frosh Adkins is talented too.

It will all depend on how serious Haywood is about playing guys one way. He is going to have a lot of options. I think Hatfield needs to get enough snaps at LB to stay sharp, but no more.
Transfer is enrolled we might as well stop coding it. Joplin is good enough to play in the secondary, but I think he'll be at one spot only. Halfback.
^ Agree. My Russell buddy wants to smack the grin off my face. I am excited about Joplin. Another excellent skill guy to add to the mix. Going to be TONS of kids with speed available.
Belfry0304 Wrote:Transfer is enrolled we might as well stop coding it. Joplin is good enough to play in the secondary, but I think he'll be at one spot only. Halfback.

anywhere to look the kid up? and how many yrs does he have on the Creek?
cuppett777 Wrote:anywhere to look the kid up? and how many yrs does he have on the Creek?

If you google Deonte Joplin you will find his Hudl highlights. He will be a Junior in the Fall.

Ran for over 1000 yards last year for Mingo Central.
^ I was impressed with how he ran through arm tackles in the highlight video. Hopefully Joe Kinzer can come on here and give us a full breakdown. He called all of Mingo games this past year.
EKUAlum05 Wrote:If you google Deonte Joplin you will find his Hudl highlights. He will be a Junior in the Fall.

Ran for over 1000 yards last year for Mingo Central.

thanks
PaytoPlay Wrote:^ I was impressed with how he ran through arm tackles in the highlight video. Hopefully Joe Kinzer can come on here and give us a full breakdown. He called all of Mingo games this past year.

I'd rather be gut-punched that listen to his ridiculousness. Jmo
^ HAHA. Fair enough.
With the transfer of Joplin is huge and awesome, and it also allows carton to play on Defense more than offense, yes he will get some reps at HB much like they did with Dixon a couple years back. But Catron will play LB is he better suited at SS absolutely but I think he will be used mostly at LB..the Jude kid can play safety as can the Dotson kid .and X will be your corner with Taylor. We have a couple kids that are coming in as frosh that can play and will get some minutes...what I'm saying,is we have tons of depth everywhere and we can use different lineups to keep fresh legs on the field..
Joplin transfers to Belfry: summer basketball league being formed
Kyle’s Korner ….
By [email=klovern@civitasmedia.com]Kyle Lovern[/email]

2 hours ago |981 Views | 0 Comments | | [Image: http://williamsondailynews.com/globalpat.../email.gif] | [Image: http://williamsondailynews.com/globalpat.../print.gif]

The Mingo County pipeline to the Belfry [COLOR=#737373 !important][COLOR=#737373 !important]football [COLOR=#737373 !important]program[/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR] continues. Deonte Joplin, an All-Cardinal Conference tailback, has already transferred to the Pike County School. The speedy Joplin will be a junior this season. He was one of Mingo Central’s top ground gainers rushing for close to 1,000 yards this past season.

Joplin was honorable mention all-state in W.Va. in 2013. He follows many other Mingo County talents who have went to Belfry over the past few years to play football. Those names include former Kentucky Wildcat star David Jones, Doug Howard, brothers Micah and Jonah Caudill, Corey Chapman, Ivan Lee and senior to be Austin Hatfield.

You can tell this guy has no love for the Pirates.
There are so many kids who could be options at multiple positions. Great team speed, especially for defense. Maybe not a lot of individual burners, but basically everyone runs above average.
#1 Blackcat Fan Wrote:Joplin transfers to Belfry: summer basketball league being formed
Kyle’s Korner ….
By [email=klovern@civitasmedia.com]Kyle Lovern[/email]

2 hours ago |981 Views | 0 Comments | | [Image: http://williamsondailynews.com/globalpat.../email.gif] | [Image: http://williamsondailynews.com/globalpat.../print.gif]

The Mingo County pipeline to the Belfry [COLOR=#737373 !important][COLOR=#737373 !important]football [COLOR=#737373 !important]program[/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR] continues. Deonte Joplin, an All-Cardinal Conference tailback, has already transferred to the Pike County School. The speedy Joplin will be a junior this season. He was one of Mingo Central’s top ground gainers rushing for close to 1,000 yards this past season.

Joplin was honorable mention all-state in W.Va. in 2013. He follows many other Mingo County talents who have went to Belfry over the past few years to play football. Those names include former Kentucky Wildcat star David Jones, Doug Howard, brothers Micah and Jonah Caudill, Corey Chapman, Ivan Lee and senior to be Austin Hatfield.

You can tell this guy has no love for the Pirates.

Of that list only Jones was a transfer...hell Doug Howard was in Pike County Schools since his entire life.
Ha. Kyle is sour as can be obviously. Doug went 3 years in Mingo. He went to kindergarten, 4th-12th at Belfry. I watched Austin Hatfield in red since he was in 6th grade and that's just when I first saw him.

It's real funny to me no one mentions a word when kids who aren't all stars transfer. Kids who just move for academics, kids who play other sports, heck even kids who play football but aren't "great players" when that happens they just transferred no talk of recruiting. But when 1 pretty good athlete moves, it's recruiting. He didn't "just move" like the others.
Kyle is sti sour Williamson died as a school. There was a time I was ok with Kyle, but his hate for Belfry really bleeds into his writing. When Pam Johnson was there I think a lot of Mingo folks were upset about how much ink Belfry got in the paper.

Welcome Mr. Joplin. Time to win a championship!
Strange thing is, Joplin was at Mingo Central yesterday supposedly.
I know sometimes you have to sign out, or finish paperwork on a transfer
but based on what I was told it was weird for him to be back up there.
Wish him nothing but the best but personally, I'm so used to this trend.
Have seen it since I was in 5th grade at Williamson Middle School (I'm 20 now), and it
just keeps going on and on.It seems the only "cool" thing to do is run across that bridge from BB&T to CVS.
^ A real tuff break for the Miners. I'm sure there is a lot of talent to step up where he leaves a vacuum.
Not really sure what you meant by that? But ive had a long day lol.
Also, had a question from a friend and I'd hope you guys can answer on here...
How many Belfry players have gone on to D-1 Colleges and started?
(Overall, and since the 90's)
Very few.

I just meant I wish your team success despite losing a good player. Your handle is MCMiner so I assume you pull for Mingo Central. I was trying to be nice.
MCMiner247 Wrote:Not really sure what you meant by that? But ive had a long day lol.
Also, had a question from a friend and I'd hope you guys can answer on here...
How many Belfry players have gone on to D-1 Colleges and started?
(Overall, and since the 90's)

Since the 90s, someone else can give better answers than I but just that I can name David Jones. Irv Dotson, however, started on one of the National Title teams at Marshall.

As a whole, the region isn't exactly churning out D1 talent.
PaytoPlay Wrote:Very few.

I just meant I wish your team success despite losing a good player. Your handle is MCMiner so I assume you pull for Mingo Central. I was trying to be nice.

No worries man! I just didn't understand. I sure hope some of our younger guys step it up as a result of this....we've got the talent, it's just finding the maturity.

And thanks 0304 haha, I shoulda just texted ya!
MCMiner247 Wrote:No worries man! I just didn't understand. I sure hope some of our younger guys step it up as a result of this....we've got the talent, it's just finding the maturity.

And thanks 0304 haha, I shoulda just texted ya!

It's just not Mingo/Belfry, read some of the other threads. Transferring season is insane.

I actually just texted you dude lol
Kyle writes like Kinzer talks, unintelligent and watered down with WV bias and anti-Belfry bigotry. I've got no use for his bullshit 3rd grade, reading level articles any more than I need tits on a bull. He's all the Williamson Daily News has to offer and I'd about bet its pro bono just so they'll let him write about UFOs while he's tripping shrooms.
I don't think there's a chance in hell X Willis plays corner this year, just to be honest. We have really enjoyed the luxury of one way halfbacks the past few seasons, and coming off an ACL is not the most opportune time to go away from that. There's plenty of DB's on this team, not so many Willis-caliber halfbacks.
  •  Previous
  • 9(current)
  • Next