•  Previous
  • 7(current)
  • Next 
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Belfry 2014
Belfry0304 Wrote:Man, I saw Devin Varney Wednesday and he's every bit of 6'0 and pushing 6'1. Can't wait to see him gain weight over the next 4 years.

What I saw out of the Varney kid I could easily see him becoming very similar to Michael West that played at Lawrence County.

Not sure he will ever be the guy to take on two defenders in the open field or plow a would be tackler like a Dustin May, but he just has natural instincts and explosive agility at his age.

Belfry hasn't had a lot of backs in recent years with ability to plant their foot and cut back at the LB level of the defense and then explode into the secondary. JJ had nice agility, but he really wasn't overly explosive or had that second gear where once the defender leaned too far he was gone. Thomas Varney was close, but he didn't have the strength to escape arm tackles. Probably Matt Maynard was the only one that comes to mind.

I can see Varney becoming that type of back if he can get his lower half stronger and develop his straight line speed.

Think of how many shoestring tackles and "one man left to beat" tackles have been made over the years that were literally a cut or a step through away from being TD's. Varney could be a very potent weapon if he becomes that guy because you know Belfry will always be able to find that grinder at FB and that second HB who just explodes into the hole for the tough yards (Fletcher appears to be the perfect example of this type of back).

What made Michael West so good wasn't his speed or his ability to pick up tough yards, it was his ability to turn a 7 yard gain into a 57 yard gain by turning defenders in the open field.
How did spring practice go? Any updates from Pond Creek?
PaytoPlay Wrote:How did spring practice go? Any updates from Pond Creek?

Belfry will repeat, they have speed and strength and a heck of 8th grade class coming in.
one thing about justin johnson replacing him is going to be hard because you don,t only have to run touchdowns you have to set up touchdowns like he has for the last 3 years if he had got the ball back every time he took it 70 or 80 yds his stats would be off the chain oh but they still our well over 3000 yds at belfry and his carrie rate for his yardage off the chain man so is johnson going to be missed ?????:Cheerlead
Johnson will be missed just like Jones, Howard and Childers was missed the year they left. Carr will also be missed. The power and size he had espacially will be missed. But one thing about it is , after the incoming freshman and the returning players get their game legs back under them. It will just be another case of reloading. Don't get me wrong. Johnson was a game changed and made things happen. But if he had too I think hatfield at full back could carry the load and win the game week in and week out.
Any update on how Fletcher and Willis rehab?

It has been pretty quiet in this thread.
Belfry has nice set up under new realignment
Not only set in alignment,but also set for the next 4-5 years.
I'm in the dark, guys. Haven't heard much at all.
Crickets on Pond Creek. Sad
Does anyone know if the Fransisco kid is expected to return this coming season? I recall people being pretty high on him heading into last year where he started the opener before suffering a season ending injury.
PaytoPlay Wrote:Does anyone know if the Fransisco kid is expected to return this coming season? I recall people being pretty high on him heading into last year where he started the opener before suffering a season ending injury.

if its Zach he should have graduated last year..
cuppett777 Wrote:if its Zach he should have graduated last year..
It is Jacob. He will be a senior. He goes 6'1" and 200 plus. I am not sure if he is playing or not. I assume he will since he still dressed with the team all last year.
bucslover68 Wrote:It is Jacob. He will be a senior. He goes 6'1" and 200 plus. I am not sure if he is playing or not. I assume he will since he still dressed with the team all last year.

ok,thanks I forgot about him...
Should we be worried that it's been so quiet? Surely no one has gotten complacent after one state title?
Belfry0304 Wrote:Should we be worried that it's been so quiet? Surely no one has gotten complacent after one state title?

Quiet is not necessarily a bad thing.
The calm before the storm...
I have a Russell buddy who has been keeping me updated as to how hard the Devils are working this offseason. They are hitting it everyday after school.

Are the Belfry boys working hard to stay on top of the mountain?
belfry is always working hard to stay on top in the mountains.. looking forward to another great year of Kentucky high school football.. good luck to all the programs in the mountains working hard and preparing for Friday nights.. go big red..
PaytoPlay Wrote:I have a Russell buddy who has been keeping me updated as to how hard the Devils are working this offseason. They are hitting it everyday after school.

Are the Belfry boys working hard to stay on top of the mountain?

Belfry kids will not be out worked, Haywood will not let the guard down
Very eager to see how Horton, Bentley, Hall and some of those other young guys transform their bodies this offseason. That frosh to Soph transition is where a lot of progress is often made.

Also excited to see how the o-line shapes up. Francis, Mullins, Gibbs and Bently will give Belfry tremendous size up front. I am optimistic about the quality up front.

The most interesting think will be the offensive skill guys.
belfry reloads year after year.. great coaching at the feeder schools and middle school teams.. a lot of belfry haters talk rebuilding years and all that jazz.. if not mistaken last year was a rebuilding year in somes opinion.. state championship while rebuilding? come on now.. BELFRY LOADS AND RELOADS.. pa pow!
PaytoPlay Wrote:Very eager to see how Horton, Bentley, Hall and some of those other young guys transform their bodies this offseason. That frosh to Soph transition is where a lot of progress is often made.

Also excited to see how the o-line shapes up. Francis, Mullins, Gibbs and Bently will give Belfry tremendous size up front. I am optimistic about the quality up front.

The most interesting think will be the offensive skill guys.

Important to remember that Bentley will be, in terms of age, the age of a junior this season. Hall and Horton may undergo a huge transformation though as both kids played at 14 years old this season. I believe Dustin May got a LOT bigger his sophomore season.
^ good point 0304. By that same logic, I will be curious to see if Devin Varney makes a push for some carries, and or some snaps at Safety/corner.
He might... it's up to him.
Belfry better win one this year if they hope to at least keep in the game. With Boyle County and company coming down to 3A Belfry will be in the back of the pack.
WideRight05 Wrote:Belfry better win one this year if they hope to at least keep in the game. With Boyle County and company coming down to 3A Belfry will be in the back of the pack.

As long as it wasn't Collins dropping down.

Highlands even ran from them.
WideRight05 Wrote:Belfry better win one this year if they hope to at least keep in the game. With Boyle County and company coming down to 3A Belfry will be in the back of the pack.

Belfry at worst will still be in the top 5. I think boyle co, and lex cath could be very strong, add central doing what they do, and maybe tilghman rising up, and thats the only 4 i could see being ahead of belfry. All 4 of those are in the west, so i believe we will see belfry in the finals quite possibly the next 3 or 4 years in a row. It may be hard on them in the finals, but the belfry fans say they have the best talent they have had coming up, and ill take there word on that. I will also add that tilghman is a big if to me, as they always have talent but always seem to underachieve. I think we will see a boyle and belfry final at least twice in the next 4 years.
Belfry better work hard and not read these "press clippings" or they will be in for a ride awakening.

I am so confident in the staff and family units of the players that I am comfortable they will. That said. There isn't a ton of RB talent that is mature next season. K. Taylor can run TB and do well but he is a bit slight. X. Willis is coming off a torn ACL. People need to wait and see before they talk about a dynasty IMO.

There is a lot to be excited about, but no clear stud at QB in the wings. The defense will have to hold strong. Lex Cath, Caldwell, Boyle, Central, etc come out of the west. Hard work only will keep the Bucs from putting back on the bridesmaid dress.
PaytoPlay Wrote:Belfry better work hard and not read these "press clippings" or they will be in for a ride awakening.

I am so confident in the staff and family units of the players that I am comfortable they will. That said. There isn't a ton of RB talent that is mature next season. K. Taylor can run TB and do well but he is a bit slight. X. Willis is coming off a torn ACL. People need to wait and see before they talk about a dynasty IMO.

There is a lot to be excited about, but no clear stud at QB in the wings. The defense will have to hold strong. Lex Cath, Caldwell, Boyle, Central, etc come out of the west. Hard work only will keep the Bucs from putting back on the bridesmaid dress.

Yall give caldwell way to much credit, i would bet they have made it to the 3rd round less than ten times in playoff history. Sindelar is gone after this year and i think they go back to there old ways of losing in the 2nd round most years.
  •  Previous
  • 7(current)
  • Next