Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sweet 16 teams by Football Classification
Thanks pulp, you just proved my point.
Pulp Fiction Wrote:Teams are paired by first round games.....

South Oldham: 5A
Hopkinsville: 5A

Trinity (Louisville): 6A
Owensboro: 4A

Scott County: 6A
Fleming County: 3A

Campbell County: 6A
Johnson Central: 4A

McCracken County: 6A
Wayne County: 3A

Knott County Central: 3A
Bowling Green: 5A

Bardstown: 2A
Pleasure Ridge Park: 6A

Clay County: 4A
Covington Catholic: 4A

1A - 0
2A - 1
3A - 3
4A - 4
5A - 3
6A - 5

By current enrollment data being used for football realignment, Bardstown will be 3A and Wayne Co 4A after consolidating with Monticello last year. So no 1A or 2A and 13 of 16 are 4A and above.
Id like to see them classify and then let the winners from each class pit against each other. I love the sweet 16, but it is tough to compete. None of the small schools could compete without recruits.
hootie Wrote:Id like to see them classify and then let the winners from each class pit against each other. I love the sweet 16, but it is tough to compete. None of the small schools could compete without recruits.

No way hootie... Keep rockin' like a Wagon Wheel....

Some state's have "Tournament of Champions" and it is a joke.
Would love to hear more open, on this subj.
Leave it this way and keep leaving the small schools out, and basketball may lose it's prestige over a period. Many don't like the class system in football, but allows teams to compete with like competition. No way Fulton city ever has a chance to compete with trinity or Scott co.
Make 4 classes and have a final four in lex for each class and it can still be the sweet sixteen.
My opinion, for what it is worth, is to not touch the "Sweet 16" - leave it the way it is. When something is so special - winning a true "state championship" - why would anyone want to change that? Winning it as a small school just makes it even better! It may not happen that often, but when it does, it is a very special moment across the state.

Just look at all of the debates still going on in Indiana after they changed their system in 1997-98. Kentucky is one of a few, if not the only remaining state, that has one state champion in basketball. That is why our "Sweet 16" is the "Greatest Show in Hoops." I say we keep it that way!