Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Best/Favorite Gyms in the State?
What are some of your favorite gyms throughout the state? Post pics if ya got em'.
Augusta has a sweet gym and it is definitely a home court advantage when they play there. I have always heard that Harlan County is really nice as well.
Well Harlan County is my favorite!! I do admit to being a little biased though.
^ I like Harlan County's gym too.

It's definitely got the WOW factor.

I'll always be partial to John C. Combs but I've watched several games at the Horn over the past couple of years and I always enjoy them over there - even though it's probably smaller than 99% of gyms around here lol
Hazard's, Harlan Co., and always loyal to Jenkins gym.
You know, you have the newer gymnasiums with the "wow" factor, but I'm looking forward to a time when the gym means more to me because of the games that I have seen in them....the making of good memories! Wink

...like John C Combs gymnasium!
Hazard
Scott County, Lex Cath, Mason Co, UHA, Holmes, Hazard, and Knott are some of my favorite gyms.
Harlan Co's has to be one of the nicest in the state.

People here in Laurel Co love the old gym at Hazel Green. Lots of tradition there.
Knott County, Mason County and Dunbar are three of the biggest. Knott is excellent for tournaments.
Favorite - Hazard
Nicest - Harlan Co.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Most History - Hazard
Favorite rims - Cordia/Perry/Dilce
Layout - Letcher
Parking - Perry
Atmosphere - Perry/Leslie

Favorite Gym - Perry/Hazard
I played good games in both
I guess Knott County's gym should be one of my favorite gyms..

at Knott County as a player: 14-1 (WYMT Championship, All "A", and Region Championship)

at Knott County as a coach: 5-2 (WYMT Championship), 2-0 JV Coach at Knott.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Oldham county's practice/girls gym.....

Haven't been there since December 2001 for a tournament... The first game I saw in there was Fern Creek vs. South Oldham..... and the game atmosphere was like something from a movie.
ekff Wrote:I guess Knott County's gym should be one of my favorite gyms..

at Knott County as a player: 14-1 (WYMT Championship, All "A", and Region Championship)

at Knott County as a coach: 5-2 (WYMT Championship), 2-0 JV Coach at Knott.

Sounds like you've done pretty well for yourself over there.
Montgomery Counties new gym is pretty sweet.
It's a shame the 5th Region isn't at Central Hardin (capacity 4,006) every year.

-- Parking galore.
-- Plenty of seating (biggest in region)
-- Close to other schools (E'town is on same road, LaRue-North Hardin-John Hardin all within 20 minutes). The four schools in Nelson County are less than 35 minutes away.
-- Restaurants close by (McDonalds, Subway, Burger King within walking distance); 40+ places right down Ring Road to Dixie corridor
-- Plus, Central Hardin is rarely in the region tourney, so homecourt advantage is not an issue

MARION COUNTY
Roby Dome is a little bit smaller, but has the wow factor because of the 4-story dome and scoreboard in the middle
[Image: http://im1per.shutterfly.com/procserv?si...480&ry=321]
[Image: http://im1per.shutterfly.com/procserv?si...480&ry=321]

LOUISVILLE VALLEY
Louisville Valley also has a 4K (or more) gym.
Opened in last 3 years.
Now hosts both Louisville regions (6/7) tourneys.
[Image: http://download.gannett.edgesuite.net/co...9913742001]
[Image: http://media.bizj.us/view/img/101421/valley6584*304.jpg]
[Image: http://www.toadvine.com/Portals/14855/im...um%201.jpg]
Henry County is probably my favorite gym. It seats over 5000 and is a great atmosphere for high school basketball. They have hosted the 8th region tournament for over 50 years in a row. There have been so many great players play in that gym and so many great games. I hope they never move the tournament to any other gym.
blue1424 Wrote:Henry County is probably my favorite gym. It seats over 5000 and is a great atmosphere for high school basketball. They have hosted the 8th region tournament for over 50 years in a row. There have been so many great players play in that gym and so many great games. I hope they never move the tournament to any other gym.

It didn't seem like it was that big to me, I was surprised that it is that large.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
The old Tiger Den at Clay County was a great venue. Nothing better than watching a highly ranked foe enter the gym and be greeted by people hanging from the rafters, literally, as the balcony behind one goal would have people sitting in the aisle with their feet hanging over the rails. Folding chairs along the sidelines and under the balcony made it next to impossible to inbound the ball. With the floor below the bleachers it produced the effect that the crowd was right on top of you. Many great teams folded their tents and went home with the help of the "home court" advantage supplied by the Tiger Den.
Hellier
Jarons Wrote:It didn't seem like it was that big to me, I was surprised that it is that large.

KHSAA website says it holds 5400.
Hellier, home of the Hellcats.
The old Wayland gym, home of King Kelly Coleman.
I like the barn look of Montgomery County.
Not much love for the Fieldhouse at Mason County on here.