Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Southwestern 2014
Just a few of the players coming back...

Brandon Pruitt was the freshman QB. The OL will be anchored by sophomore, Brandon Mayfield and junior, Lucas Turpin. I would look for senior, Gunnar Pittman to step into the vacancy beside senior, Kurtis Dotson and at center...no idea. I expect sophomore RB Will Lemon to get carries if he can stay healthy and possibly Chandler Gover and Dustin Floyd who will be juniors.

The defense should be loaded with talent. Lucas Brewer, Dan Lewis, Cody Smith, Wyatt Carter, Chris Lynch, Jacob Burchett and Morgan Wright all return as seniors along with Gover and Floyd as juniors and Austion Dalton as a sophomore.

Can't wait to see what French does with this bunch.
Wildcat18 Wrote:I believe Smiddy played for Russell County this last season. I'm not sure who the freshman QB is, but I know SW has a couple of younger guys that should be a good starting point for success at that spot with a little work. I'm not putting much stock in the success of the QB position from their middle school run because they only threw the ball 2 or 3 times a game. Under the Engle era, they didn't do the QB any favors in developing them with the system they ran. It's obvious that those championships (while a great accomplishment at the middle school level) didn't translate to the high school at all. It has translated really well at Pulaski and pretty well at Somerset. I feel like that transition has A LOT to do with the style of play at the middle school. They were both ahead of the game when they got to the high school. With the middle school staff there now, I see a lot more development for high school because they spread it around on offense and get more than 2 or 3 players involved. It'll help in the long-run.

I would say the poor transition to high school had more to do with players not playing football at SWHS than with the plays the middle school ran.
Willie Turnover Wrote:I would say the poor transition to high school had more to do with players not playing football at SWHS than with the plays the middle school ran.

Gotta agree. Jimmys and joes mean more than xs and os.

If the best players in the school are out there you can win.
After a couple of rough seasons my guess is these kids will be hungry and ready to shut up some of the chirping they keep hearing around the area.
Cardfan1 Wrote:After a couple of rough seasons my guess is these kids will be hungry and ready to shut up some of the chirping they keep hearing around the area.

I agree. Excited to see where this goes next year.
Bean Counter Wrote:Coach French has stated that he will be taking care of the defense and his son will be the offense guy. Unless he's changed his mind since last Monday, that's what the Warriors are expecting.

Didn't Central Hardin run "the system?" Not sure that will be Coach French's cup of tea... I think Steven French also coached RBs at Boyle for a while, so he could run Pardue's system, I guess.
In 3 years SW will be in the state finals.
steel city gal Wrote:In 3 years SW will be in the state finals.

One day at a time, one game at a time, one play at a time. Its ok to put a timetable on it, but keep it in the now. Push to be great, but enjoy the journey.
steel city gal Wrote:In 3 years SW will be in the state finals.

Worry about beating Pulaski first.
ColtPride Wrote:Worry about beating Pulaski first.

I'm sure that is on the agenda.
Just curious, why did the son not join his father to coach with previous teams?
Any idea if the schedule has changed from last season?
gridirondaddy Wrote:Didn't Central Hardin run "the system?" Not sure that will be Coach French's cup of tea... I think Steven French also coached RBs at Boyle for a while, so he could run Pardue's system, I guess.

I think they will be similar to Boyle's offensive scheme. Lots of 1 back stuff and even some 3 back belly mixed in.
Catfan09 Wrote:Just curious, why did the son not join his father to coach with previous teams?

He has at different times in the past. Was an assistant for Boyle's last two state championships in '09 and '10
His son was also an all-state qb playing for his dad at Meade Co.
First let me say Southwestern has hired one fine Coach and a better Man. I've known Larry for 35 years and No One will out work him or out X and 0 Him. He will work the halls of the High School and have many playing that didn't play before. Southwestern fans will see a huge improvement next year and that will continue to get better in years to come. I don't know how much longer Larry will choose to coach but you can bet he will do things his way and he will be successful. Good Luck and I look fwd. to seeing Southwestern play.