Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Harlan Ind. boys basketball drama!
I read online today where Miller left the game at halftime of the Middlesboro game last night. Can anyone elaborate on what happened for him to leave the gym?
Harlan's coach David Parks fought a fan after the game..
Did they play again today?
Just saw where Mboro won 71-59. Did Miller play? Did coach coach?
Huggy_Bear Wrote:Harlan's coach David Parks fought a fan after the game..

That's not entirely true.

Here is the story I was told by a person close to the situation -

Tyler Miller was benched during the game. His father came into the locker room during halftime and asked Parks if he had a problem with him and his son, and Parks apparently said yes. Miller's dad allegedly threw a punch at Parks, which sparked a fight between the two. A Harlan player had to go outside of the locker room to get the police to break up the fight.

From what I was told, after the fight, Parks asked Miller if he wanted to play, Miller said no, and Parks told him to get his stuff and leave. Parks then asked the players if they wanted to let Miller back on the team and it was a consensus no.

This is the story that I was told. I'm not saying it is 100% true or not, but it seems like there is a lot of drama stirring for the Green Dragons right now.

If this happened I am sure David Parks was provoked in some way. David is a real gentleman.
TriCountySports Wrote:That's not entirely true.

Here is the story I was told by a person close to the situation -

Tyler Miller was benched during the game. His father came into the locker room during halftime and asked Parks if he had a problem with him and his son, and Parks apparently said yes. Miller's dad allegedly threw a punch at Parks, which sparked a fight between the two. A Harlan player had to go outside of the locker room to get the police to break up the fight.

From what I was told, after the fight, Parks asked Miller if he wanted to play, Miller said no, and Parks told him to get his stuff and leave. Parks then asked the players if they wanted to let Miller back on the team and it was a consensus no.

This is the story that I was told. I'm not saying it is 100% true or not, but it seems like there is a lot of drama stirring for the Green Dragons right now.
Crazy parents. I don't know but it seems like there are more and more, at every school, in every sport.

^That's how rumors get started.
Whatever happened to the day of parents just staying away from it all...
Wow! Heard Harlan Ind played today was this to finish this game, a make up from weather, or scheduled game?

David Parks is a class act! Not talking about anyone in particular but some parents are way to concerned with high school athletics.
BIG TONY Wrote:Crazy parents. I don't know but it seems like there are more and more, at every school, in every sport.

Sounds like the kid is a real piece of work too. I read where he refused to reenter the game in the second quarter after he had been taken out.

I can remember a similar situation at Corbin during Billy Hicks' early years there. As is Hicks' style, he played a lot of players continuously taking players in and out of the game. His best player, upset about being taken out, told coach Hicks he was too tired to play when it was time for him to reenter the game. The kid never played another second. The kid's father even got an attorney and threatened to file a civil suit to force the coach to let him play.

This will probably hurt the Green Dragons this post season. But, it will go a long way in establishing Coach Parks' program. The kids, and parents, have to know that it's not a democracy. It's a dictatorship, and the head coach is the dictator. The inmates can never be in control of the asylum.
This is a product of everyone getting a trophy. This generation has got to learn you get what you earn.
insideinfo Wrote:This is a product of everyone getting a trophy. This generation has got to learn you get what you earn.

I agree ...I started a thread about kids playing for same school all through K-12 because I feel there is no loyalty anymore...Its all about me....I still think it parents fault
footballfever Wrote:I agree ...I started a thread about kids playing for same school all through K-12 because I feel there is no loyalty anymore...Its all about me....I still think it parents fault

Sometimes when the administration does not care about sports parent get upset because everyone wants there kids to be successful and without a coach and support from the administration it is not possible. I agree about the parents being at fault a lot. The parent job should be what do you need done and when do you need it done and let the coach do the coaching and if you don't like it your free to leave but don't become drama.
I know I will take a lot of backlash on this but this is what the city deserves after baiting one of our county kids to come there. I think it is freakin hilarious! Note to all county kids that are being recruited by the city's elite, money men, stay in the county and you will win!!!!!!!! You might not start as a freshman like the city says you will but wait your time with the county and play when you are ready and become a better player and win and not stay at the city and play as a freshman and get the crap beat out of you. Just sayin.
Bear Claw..you know as well as I do that this goes on at BOTH school systems. There isn't a whole lot can be done when a parent wants their kid playing NOW and Harlan Ind is just sitting there starving for any talent that comes their way. I agree, if a kid (and a parent) were smart they would wait. Obviously, if a kid is serious about whatever sport, he/she will get much better playing against tougher competition that the bigger school provides. Unfortunately, parents and kids are looking for instant results even if it is a false sense of accomplishment. For example, Harlan Ind picked up a marginal kid (won't mention his name) that had potential to really improve and help the county as a junior and a senior. No doubt, if he stayed he would have been much better with all the county has to offer. However, he and his parents chose to attend Harlan where he has seen some playing time as a freshman. He's playing terrible competition both in practice and in games, but in their eyes he is playing, scoring, etc. This kid will not meet his full potential IMO, but it's what the parent wants. I wouldn't say the incident at the game was hilarious. I would say it is sad. I know the kid has had issues in the past, but he and his parents also had adults promising this kid things they knew they couldn't deliver. I actually for sorry for the kid and his parents to some degree. I'm sure they didn't realize they were leaving a far more talented team with far more proven coaches, and were basically listening to the wrong people. I wish the kid the best..whatever he does!!
Where do you get recruiting from? Almost all of the kids on that team live within the district. I'm a county guy, I support the black bears 100% but don't believe the recruiting. I never thought Miller was the best player on the team anyway. He barely contributed. Simpson is that teams best player. They chose that school to go play for many reasons, maybe they just didn't like the school. I admit, their coach is pitiful. He does no coaching whatsoever that I've seen. But nobody on Harlan county is head and shoulders better than anybody on Harlan city.
This has always been an issue, and that won't stop, in my opinion, unless the Superintendents from each school district come to an agreement about athletes who transfer.

I graduated from Cawood and there was a time I thought about transferring to Harlan to play football. Their program was much better than ours at the time.

How many players do we know who have played at Harlan and another county school during their time in high school? My dentist, who now lives in London, told me he played for Billy Hicks at Harlan and Mike Jones at Cawood. Hicks started out at Evarts, and Jones later went to Harlan. That's a perfect example of how messed up it has been over the years.
IMO Miller was their best player. Led the team in scoring and rebounding. I think Harlan's inconsistent play in the backcourt and Parks' lack of knowing how to use him led to Millers struggles. Many people in the know would agree that he did leave a far more talented group. In fact, many thought had he stayed HC may have been the favorite in the region. That's a far cry from a team that went 0-6 in the district and the bulk of their wins were against the likes of Red Bird, Lynn Camp, etc.
Miller averaged 13 points a game and around seven rebounds. Let's be honest, that's not too hard to replace. I hope the best for the kid, but it seems like the issues go beyond basketball.

The player who replaced him in the starting lineup scored 20 points in his first start.
Was he leading the team in those categories?
TriCountySports Wrote:Miller averaged 13 points a game and around seven rebounds. Let's be honest, that's not too hard to replace. I hope the best for the kid, but it seems like the issues go beyond basketball.

The player who replaced him in the starting lineup scored 20 points in his first start.

The player who replaced him should have been playing a lot more this season. Plays a lot harder and with more passion. To bad he is a Senior and had to sit because of all the promises made to Miller.
And Harlan County plays OBI and Pineville. Miller can only score in the paint, I'll take the versatile guy any day. The kid is talented but he's struggling with himself.
Parks had them setup in one formation and just pass it around, it wasn't just Miller's struggles, it caused the team to struggle. Harlan could be a good squad. Love Harlan County sports, and love to see them succeed and beat Harlan but I also like to see Harlan succeed when they have the opportunities.
You're right they played pineville and obi. They just didn't schedule teams like that EVERY night. Harlan County played a brutal (may be an understatement) schedule. You're entitled to your opinion, but I don't think many folks would argue that Miller was their best player. Like I said, he led them in scoring and rebounding. Doesn't matter where you're getting them from.
Yes, many people would agree that he is, and I think he's very talented. But, he just didn't prove it to me, in my opinion. Just has to get some things straightened out.
TheProfessor33 Wrote:You're right they played pineville and obi. They just didn't schedule teams like that EVERY night. Harlan County played a brutal (may be an understatement) schedule. You're entitled to your opinion, but I don't think many folks would argue that Miller was their best player. Like I said, he led them in scoring and rebounding. Doesn't matter where you're getting them from.

I wouldn't call the Bear's schedule brutal at all. By my count they only played two top-25 teams (Perry Central and Montgomery County) and no teams in the top 10. There are schools that have already played 10 games against top-25 teams.
TheProfessor33 Wrote:Bear Claw..you know as well as I do that this goes on at BOTH school systems. There isn't a whole lot can be done when a parent wants their kid playing NOW and Harlan Ind is just sitting there starving for any talent that comes their way. I agree, if a kid (and a parent) were smart they would wait. Obviously, if a kid is serious about whatever sport, he/she will get much better playing against tougher competition that the bigger school provides. Unfortunately, parents and kids are looking for instant results even if it is a false sense of accomplishment. For example, Harlan Ind picked up a marginal kid (won't mention his name) that had potential to really improve and help the county as a junior and a senior. No doubt, if he stayed he would have been much better with all the county has to offer. However, he and his parents chose to attend Harlan where he has seen some playing time as a freshman. He's playing terrible competition both in practice and in games, but in their eyes he is playing, scoring, etc. This kid will not meet his full potential IMO, but it's what the parent wants. I wouldn't say the incident at the game was hilarious. I would say it is sad. I know the kid has had issues in the past, but he and his parents also had adults promising this kid things they knew they couldn't deliver. I actually for sorry for the kid and his parents to some degree. I'm sure they didn't realize they were leaving a far more talented team with far more proven coaches, and were basically listening to the wrong people. I wish the kid the best..whatever he does!!

I respectfully disagree with your bolded statement.

However, the KHSAA has allowed recruiting to go on unpunished for so long, there have bee players in the 14th region where English wasn't their first language. I think recruiting is wrong, and should be punished no matter what school is involved. That, obviously, is not going to happen.

I don't think bear claw meant to sound as insensitive as he did, Professor. I personally know of two people who are actively trying to recruit our football players. Both are "money men", and both are liars and cowards. Being in the position that bear claw is in, he MAY know of those as well. Knowing for a fact, what ugly crap goes on under the political tables in our area, makes one pretty defensive when it comes to discussing the athletic transfers in our area.

I don't know the reasons that Miller transferred. I do know that this is not the first time that he has transferred to a different school to play basketball. I also feel like the display of anger and unsportsman like conduct that he displayed after our game should've been addressed. Knowing Parks, I believe it was, too.

When a kid goes to another school to get more playing time (even though it's supposed to be illegal), I can really understand it. There's one county transfer on that city team that is tops in my book for integrity and character. This kid plays his guts out every single minute of every single game. When he transferred, nobody even knew it until they saw him dressed in green that first game. The story with Miller was quite the opposite. There were taunts, name calling threats and the now popular "twin towers" T-shirts.

There are just ways that you can do this with class. It's the player's choice how to do it.
rojas Wrote:I wouldn't call the Bear's schedule brutal at all. By my count they only played two top-25 teams (Perry Central and Montgomery County) and no teams in the top 10. There are schools that have already played 10 games against top-25 teams.

It's one of the tougher schedules in the 13th, especially for a team with no returning starters.
Granny, that's a great point about the kid that transferred "quietly". I know exactly the kid you are talking about. He is a great kid, from a classy, educated family that wouldn't participate in nonsense like we've seen this season. There has been a culture of disrespect bred around that basketball program, and the parents have a lot to do with it. Parents taking to social media criticizing every move the coach makes. Calling out the coach for not getting their kid the ball enough..etc, etc. Not to mention the shady characters that are around the program that think they know basketball. No discipline!!! The results for all this chaos...0-6 in the district...14 wins against the likes of Red Bird, Lynn Camp, Thomas Walker, etc. ..winless versus archrival Harlan County... A fight between the coach and a parent in the locker room. I think David Parks is a good coach, but if I were him I would start giving some folks their walking papers. I'm sure he'll be glad to see a few more of those crazy parents gone too!!