Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New Coach at Garrard?
Are you talking about Shawn Shearer that coached at Jackson County for a bit and is from Rockcastle? Did he coach at Bellevue this past season with Johnny Poynter? If so, I was unaware of that.
Nope. Wrong Shearer. Russ was at Bellevue.
Russ is the head coach at Jackson Co. Right now.
FarristownFlyer Wrote:Russ is the head coach at Jackson Co. Right now.

Thanks for the explanation. I don't know Russ Shearer.
papagrit Wrote:Zach Hester's dad is a heck of an assistant coach at Boyle now and from what I understand about him, he wants his time freed up to see his son play for Navy. You can't blame the man for that. I'd love to see Bill Letton go to Garrard County. I'd say Bill would have a tough time at Garrard's dinner table of soup beans and corn bread after having eaten the filet mignon of Lexington Catholic with the huge stadium, turf field and deep pockets though. Like I said, they really need to put some money behind their sports programs and facililties at Garrard to attract top drawer coaches such as Coach Letton. Garrard has some good athletes and substantial community spirit and backing from what I saw when I attended a couple of early games there the last couple of seasons, but, the facilities are a bit tired and not near the high school. They have to bus the kids to the games like they do at Rockcastle County, which is the pits.

You all knew that Bill Letton is originally from the south eastern part of the state right??? So eating bean soup and corn bread is not new to him. Yeah he was spoiled in the last 11 years with the filet mignon, salmon filet, going to Malone's steak house, traveling in those charter buses to and from games etc, but he is humble enough to to go back to his roots.
Pigskinfly Wrote:I believe there was a incident between Shearer and the GC staff when he was at Lloyd. He was upset about GC throwing the ball late in the game and verbally confronted the coaches at mid field.

When did this occur? Could it have been the 2011 game, Garrard hammered them 38-0 up @ Lloyd....although I don't remember Garrard throwing much late in that game. The 2012 game @ Garrard was 35-14, but it was 28-14 and a pretty tight game until late in that game...not to mention GC only threw for 62 yards the entire game...
I will come to my own defense on here and post my name as to not hide behind a screen name as a coward. I am Russ Shearer the head coach at Jackson County. I was a new head coach at Bellevue and I made hundreds of mistakes. One of the main ones is that I had a tough transition from 6 seasons of college football into high school football. I treated this job as a business and put too much pressure on my players. I failed in many ways including a 5-7 record. Most of all I grew further from God and understanding that the knowledge and talent that God gave me as a coach was to be a positive influence and not the jerk that I admittedly was in Northern Ky. Don't get me wrong NKY football is great but I was not ready for it as a first year head coach.
Since my time in Northern KY, i have turned my life around and go to church and learned to have a better relationship with my family and my players. I have made mistakes in my life and I have learned from all of them. The "incident" against Garrard was simply saying to Mark Scenters (who is a good friend of mine that I text and talk to regularly) "I didnt think you would do that to us. Thats crap" because they last score was a touchdown pass in a 42-0 ball game I believe. Scenters was upset at his OC as well because of the call. But I came back to them in the locker room and appoligized. I am passionate and will take up for my players if i feel they are being treated unfairly.
If in my past I have crossed you or upset you then I am sorry. I wasnt ready to be a head coach and I made mistakes in Northern KY. I have since changed and trying to put my past behind me. Thank you for understanding. Just as our team motto has become "keep chopping wood." That is all that I can do. Keep working to build the program I am at where ever and whatever program that is.
Thanks,
Russ Shearer
Koachshr Wrote:I will come to my own defense on here and post my name as to not hide behind a screen name as a coward. I am Russ Shearer the head coach at Jackson County. I was a new head coach at Bellevue and I made hundreds of mistakes. One of the main ones is that I had a tough transition from 6 seasons of college football into high school football. I treated this job as a business and put too much pressure on my players. I failed in many ways including a 5-7 record. Most of all I grew further from God and understanding that the knowledge and talent that God gave me as a coach was to be a positive influence and not the jerk that I admittedly was in Northern Ky. Don't get me wrong NKY football is great but I was not ready for it as a first year head coach.
Since my time in Northern KY, i have turned my life around and go to church and learned to have a better relationship with my family and my players. I have made mistakes in my life and I have learned from all of them. The "incident" against Garrard was simply saying to Mark Scenters (who is a good friend of mine that I text and talk to regularly) "I didnt think you would do that to us. Thats crap" because they last score was a touchdown pass in a 42-0 ball game I believe. Scenters was upset at his OC as well because of the call. But I came back to them in the locker room and appoligized. I am passionate and will take up for my players if i feel they are being treated unfairly.
If in my past I have crossed you or upset you then I am sorry. I wasnt ready to be a head coach and I made mistakes in Northern KY. I have since changed and trying to put my past behind me. Thank you for understanding. Just as our team motto has become "keep chopping wood." That is all that I can do. Keep working to build the program I am at where ever and whatever program that is.
Thanks,
Russ Shearer

Coach, I might be a bit confused here, are you saying that you were the coach @ Bellevue when the incident occurred with GC? GC never played Bellevue during Coach Scenters time at Garrard. Can you please clarify??
I was at Lloyd Memorial as an assistant coach.
Koachshr Wrote:I was at Lloyd Memorial as an assistant coach.

That would make sense then...yes, GC's final score came on a 48 yard TD pass from Abney to McCoy...that made the final score 38-0.
Thanks for the reply Coach.
Sorry Coach Shearer for dragging you into this.... I just respect what you are doing as a
person and Coach.... Didn't mean to stir things up for you or the Jackson Boys.... That
being said, Garrard has plenty of wood that needs a little chopping!!!! ( Ha, couldn't help
myself)
First off, Jw4914, I want to thank you for your kind words and support for what Coach Shearer and his staff are trying to do at Jackson County. I am Coach Shearer's Defensive Coordinator and proud to be, I am a para- professional whose full-time job is Federal Prison Chaplain for some of the nations most violent criminals!

Coach Shearer is my good friend, and dare I say almost like a brother to me. When I aplied for his Defensive Coordinator position, I was coming off three hard years at another school. Coach Shearer's main emphasis in the interview process was not X's and O's, he did not discuss in depth my previous experiences, where I had been, how many championships I had, how many players I helped get to college, he simply shared with me that he made a renewed committment to follow Jesus Christ as His Lord and Savor, and that he wanted to build JCHS football on the foundation of Character and Christ! His main concern was hiring men of great character who could mentor student athletes! He was clear he could find coaches who were brilliant X's and O's guys, but the most important attribute he was looking for was honest and genuine men who wanted lead young men by example! He was clear part of building character is a passion and committment to WIN and COMPETE! Men of character do not tolerate losing and half hearted effort! Our players were not going to get away with laziness, sloppy fundamentals and fear, they were going to be men of character who compete and backdown from no one, this was the mindset becasue when they become men they will have to compete for jobs and take care of thier families and pay bills, not a task for weak men, it requires character, grit and determination to be a responsible man.

This last season he invited every team we played to pray with us after games whether we won or lost, we established an FCA team huddle where 14 young men made committments to follow Christ and hosted an FCA youth rally! We never forced our faith on anyone, we allowed the students to lead and we always respected those who did not want to participate - we merely facilitated a movement of character building and used our positions for something bigger and greater than just coaching. I firmly believe because of Coach Shearer's vision to honor God first, God honored him by leading us to our first winning season in school history and District Coach of the Year honors.

Is Coach Shearer passionate and fiery? You bet, he will fight for his kids, family and coaches 100 percent of the time, that is why those same people will fight for him 100 percent of the time! Has Coach Shearer made mistakes in life? You bet, haven't we all! Lord have mercy on us all, in that case.....right...

Coach Scenters did a great job at Garrard - great man, great coach. My hope and prayer is the young men at Garrard County get a Head Coach like they have had in the past, that will fight for them, love them and get them to believe they can do whatever it is God wants them to do!!! Best Wishes Garrard, praying the best for you!!
Thanks Cross Movement,,, Well Said,,, I believe in Coach Shearer and I do wish Jackson
all the best,,, His passion, love of the game, and spirit is what I personally would like to
see come to Garrard. This game has so much more to offer than W's and L's!

And yes, we all make mistakes, but how we handle those mistakes is just one factor in
building character..... I hope one day that I get to meet you and shake your hand, as
well.
jw4914 Wrote:Thanks Cross Movement,,, Well Said,,, I believe in Coach Shearer and I do wish Jackson
all the best,,, His passion, love of the game, and spirit is what I personally would like to
see come to Garrard. This game has so much more to offer than W's and L's!

And yes, we all make mistakes, but how we handle those mistakes is just one factor in
building character..... I hope one day that I get to meet you and shake your hand, as
well.

Not sure he would apply, but if he did, they should give him a VERY hard look!

You will have to come up for a game next year, we will give you a sideline pass and axe to help us chop some wood for our wood pile :Thumbs: I know how you like that motto...LOL
The Cross Movement Wrote:Not sure he would apply, but if he did, they should give him a VERY hard look!

You will have to come up for a game next year, we will give you a sideline pass and axe to help us chop some wood for our wood pile :Thumbs: I know how you like that motto...LOL

If Jackson is playing on Garrard's Bye-week, I'll take you up on that. I don't
care if it's Home or Away......

And, I still want a shirt with that motto... Best one I've heard in a long time!
I just took a look at Jackson County's record. Not Bad! Before some joker jumps me for saying what I just said by saying, "look at who they beat", just remember, it wasn't long ago that they couldn't beat those teams. Give them some credit because it looks like things are on an upswing up there in McKee. I'm always glad for kids that haven't experienced a lot of winning to get some positive reinforcement and experiences for their hard work. Congrats to them and again, good luck to the boys at Garrard County. BTW, I LIVE in Garrard County and I want to them succeed as much as anyone else in the county. I hope they find a coach that can continue Mark's success and positive direction too. And again, as a Garrard County Taxpayer, I'd like to see some of that money they collect from me in November for the schools to go to a nice sports complex for those kids.
jw4914 Wrote:If Jackson is playing on Garrard's Bye-week, I'll take you up on that. I don't
care if it's Home or Away......

And, I still want a shirt with that motto... Best one I've heard in a long time!

I like the motto too, but we can't take full credit for it - a coaching friend of mine texted me it when describing the rebuilding effort at the school where he is at.....he didn't copy right it..LOL...so we said it a couple of times to our kids in practice and before some games and it stuck with them......so we kept it, I am not sure if some other team uses it too not sure....but we like it - it describes life and the determination you need to succeed...
papagrit Wrote:I just took a look at Jackson County's record. Not Bad! Before some joker jumps me for saying what I just said by saying, "look at who they beat", just remember, it wasn't long ago that they couldn't beat those teams. Give them some credit because it looks like things are on an upswing up there in McKee. I'm always glad for kids that haven't experienced a lot of winning to get some positive reinforcement and experiences for their hard work. Congrats to them and again, good luck to the boys at Garrard County. BTW, I LIVE in Garrard County and I want to them succeed as much as anyone else in the county. I hope they find a coach that can continue Mark's success and positive direction too. And again, as a Garrard County Taxpayer, I'd like to see some of that money they collect from me in November for the schools to go to a nice sports complex for those kids.

Thank you Papagrit, you have always been a classy poster!!!!

Best wishes Garrard, hope the best for you!!
Any news?
Is Coach Kirk interested or is he gonna go to Central as well?
So do you think Perry's son comes with him. I would assume so.
64black&gold Wrote:So do you think Perry's son comes with him. I would assume so.

I am assuming you are talking about Jerry Perry. I don't know what class the kid is in and if Perry is even considering a return to Garrard. I'd say if a kid was an underclassman, then he would likely consider a move to a different school with his father. Based on other kids that were upper classmen whose fathers moved to another school to coach, such as the case of Chase Roark at Middlesboro a few years back, he will probably want to stay with his buddies for his final year or two.
gridirondaddy Wrote:Any news?

Board Meeting is tonight to start the hire process. And, I suspect to go over
potential early candidates.
FarristownFlyer Wrote:Is Coach Kirk interested or is he gonna go to Central as well?

Rumor has it that he is interested. Since he is a Garrard Math Teacher, several
things would have to fall into place before he would leave to MC. First, if he did
apply, will he get the HC job. I would think in the eyes of the administration
that he is qualified. If he hasn't applied or is not selected, will the new HC want
him on the staff? If not, can MC open a Teaching position for him? Too many
factors at play to say what he will do at this time......
FarristownFlyer Wrote:Is Coach Kirk interested or is he gonna go to Central as well?

One thing is for certain, no matter how the new football coach plays out, I
personally would hate to loose Kirk as a teacher. He is one heck-of-a Math
Teacher!!! Sometimes it's as hard to find quality teachers as it is coaches!!!
jw4914 Wrote:One thing is for certain, no matter how the new football coach plays out, I
personally would hate to loose Kirk as a teacher. He is one heck-of-a Math
Teacher!!! Sometimes it's as hard to find quality teachers as it is coaches!!!

If they hire Jerry Perry, they will get one heck of a math teacher - if he is in the classroom.
gridirondaddy Wrote:If they hire Jerry Perry, they will get one heck of a math teacher - if he is in the classroom.

Didn't know he was a Math Teacher, I would gladly take another quality
Teacher at Garrard. That would be an added bonus! If he applies, I would
think he would be high on the list of possibilities.....
They have a great superintendent, Paul Mullins, now who loves sports. Look for good things to start happening at Garrard Co.!
FBfan4life Wrote:You all knew that Bill Letton is originally from the south eastern part of the state right??? So eating bean soup and corn bread is not new to him. Yeah he was spoiled in the last 11 years with the filet mignon, salmon filet, going to Malone's steak house, traveling in those charter buses to and from games etc, but he is humble enough to to go back to his roots.

soup beans