Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Emphasis on touch fouls has been a total failure
The attempt to open up the game and increase scoring by calling every touch foul has been a disasterous failure. I watched a game in which one team shot 45 free throws in the second half alone. In a game I watched tonight both teams combined for 80 free throws. Games are taking forever to play. And as far as opening up the game and increasing scoring, it hasn't. Last year high school teams in KY averaged 58.4 points per game. With half the season over, this year teams across state are averaging 58.7 points per game. Teams are resorting to 2-3 zones instead of agressive man-to-mans to keep out of foul trouble. I don't know about you guys but I would rather watch a basketball game than a free throw shooting contest.
That as well as the "if the shooter is in motion" blocking foul. It isn't slowing the game down as much as if they changed the rule, then call it. Many refs still see the feet set no matter what and call the charge.
I agree 100% Rojas. This has been the most ridiculous BBall I've seen, period. It's not even fun to watch anymore. Kids are playing 4/6 feet off a player until he/she gets all the way to the rim because if they touch the player they are guarding its a foul. When PCC was in Louisville playing you would never think their was a hand check rule in effect. I truly hate it because teams are forced to play zone now. You and I both know it usually takes 5/6 passes b4 break a zone defense down to get good looks. The only thing that will ever speed Ky Highschool BBall up is putting in a shot clock. That would be the best thing to ever happen to Ky Highschool BBall.
I don't know about the shot clock. I would guess the shot clock would result in even more passive zone defenses.

One rule I think should be enforced more often is the 5 second closely guarded rule. I think the NFHS says that if the defensive player is within 6 feet the count continues. Our officials won't call a five second rule unless the defensive player is within 2 feet.
I wish that khsaa would put a 35 second shot clock in. I think that would help my high school basketball. T
jacobcody2 Wrote:I wish that khsaa would put a 35 second shot clock in. I think that would help my high school basketball. T

What I have noticed is that they are only refereeing the Ball now, I have saw games where they have been muggings away from the ball, and cutters going through the lane get hit multiple times. Some of the complaints I have heard from referees is that they have been instructed anytime someone is advancing the ball and they are touched it is a foul and they want it called.
rojas Wrote:I don't know about the shot clock. I would guess the shot clock would result in even more passive zone defenses.

One rule I think should be enforced more often is the 5 second closely guarded rule. I think the NFHS says that if the defensive player is within 6 feet the count continues. Our officials won't call a five second rule unless the defensive player is within 2 feet.

I agree. It's the refs perception of how much 6ft is and a lot of them have no idea. Kindly like my wife, I've been telling her for years that 6inches is a foot, hehe.
I really think a 35 second shot clock would be great.
Shot clock needs to happen
Contrary to it's intended purpose, I expect a 35 shot clock would further slow down the game. Coaches would be content ins laying back in zone defenses and forcing the offense to attack. Without the shot clock you better be able to play an aggressive man-to-man when you are behind.
A shot clock sure hasn't had a positive impact of speeding up the college game. Below are the stats:

By the numbers: The 45-second clock
Last year without it: 1984-85
57.0 FG attempts per game 69.2 points per game
First year with it: 1985-86
57.3 FG attempts per game 69.4 points per game

The 35-second clock
Last year without it: 1992-93
58.6 FG attempts per game 73.6 points per game
First year with it: 1993-94
60.6 FG attempts per game 75.0 points per game
2010-11
55.3 FG attempts per game 69.1 points per game

There are actually less shot attempts and scoring with the shot clock than without. Now, how has that speeded up the game?
I see your point.
The new way of calling games has taken the defense out of it. I always thought defense won games, but now no one can play it because they will foul out of the game.
I agree