Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Breathitt County 68 Clay County 65 (2 OT)
Honest question here.

Can the 13th produce a team that can compete for a title?

Seems its hard to do.
Nope, CC with a good draw maybe final 8. Only team with more than 2 guys that can go for 20. If another team had a guy to contain Fox, JC wouldn't have a chance. So no. Sad but true.
UKCC Wrote:I get what you're saying but I don't believe NL was the best team last year. Anybody who will be honest, Clay "should have" beat them in the 2012 final. CC and HC first round matchup was the best two teams IMO. They were good but the two teams in last seasons final were the best teams. The first time that's happened in years.

I agree.
Come on HDE, Allen in 2012 didn't do what McDaniel did all last year and especially what he did in the postseason. If you all want to make an argument that Barger or Fox is having a better statistical year then show that, a point guard shooting 59% from the FT line and one 3 pointer on the entire year (Barger) isn't a great point guard imo. I haven't watched Jackson play this year but yes Fox is a talented kid. I am glad he is finally scoring, but for some reason with a very talented team Jackson appears to still not be a good, or at least consistent team. The 13th region teams are extremely weak and it is quite sad watching some of the teams even play.
Here is how we ranked them after week three. This was tough too. I honestly think 2-14 are all a wash at this point. I have Bell ranked low, but they could be a top five team. It's been crazy so far.

ITCS 13th Region Power Rankings
Agreed TriCountySports. No consistency out of any of those teams. Clay hasn't show much either but they have shown what they are capable a couple times. I think the sleeper teams, that could contend for a title, are South Laurel and Corbin. Neither with a lot of individual talent but a team that comes together and plays fundamental will have a chance in this weak region.
EKYBubbaWatson Wrote:Agreed TriCountySports. No consistency out of any of those teams. Clay hasn't show much either but they have shown what they are capable a couple times. I think the sleeper teams, that could contend for a title, are South Laurel and Corbin. Neither with a lot of individual talent but a team that comes together and plays fundamental will have a chance in this weak region.

I really like Corbin as a contender. They play extremely hard and well together. Knox and Jackson have underachieved so far, but I think they'll be right there in the end.
South is not a great team but when baxter gets in basketball shape I do believe south is capable of beating any of them and IMO south looks to be 10 points better than corbin but corbin just seems to get it done. well coached team with smart high iq basketball players
It's really hard to say we're clay stand right now so far this year they have not played anyone I mean Robert never plays a hard team this early in the season Corbin should have best them at clay I think they would have best them at Corbin breathitt is bottom half of the 14th and they lost so who is to say how good clay is can they be good ya but no one know right now that just what I think.
-_- Wrote:It's really hard to say we're clay stand right now so far this year they have not played anyone I mean Robert never plays a hard team this early in the season Corbin should have best them at clay I think they would have best them at Corbin breathitt is bottom half of the 14th and they lost so who is to say how good clay is can they be good ya but no one know right now that just what I think.

Clay will be fine, the loss to Brethitt was a wake up call. They blew Fort Knox and Leslie out the next two days. They also did it the right way, with excellent team ball and defense. The loss could have been the worst thing that could have happened to the rest of the region. Coal keepz the lights on.
Nice win for the bobcats !!!!
EKYBubbaWatson Wrote:Come on HDE, Allen in 2012 didn't do what McDaniel did all last year and especially what he did in the postseason. If you all want to make an argument that Barger or Fox is having a better statistical year then show that, a point guard shooting 59% from the FT line and one 3 pointer on the entire year (Barger) isn't a great point guard imo. I haven't watched Jackson play this year but yes Fox is a talented kid. I am glad he is finally scoring, but for some reason with a very talented team Jackson appears to still not be a good, or at least consistent team. The 13th region teams are extremely weak and it is quite sad watching some of the teams even play.

I have watched Jackson Co play twice this season, against Corbin and Scott County. Make no mistake about it. Fox is a player. Jackson County did not have a lot of other threats in those two games.
TriCountySports Wrote:I really like Corbin as a contender. They play extremely hard and well together. Knox and Jackson have underachieved so far, but I think they'll be right there in the end.

Pietrowski will get everything he can out of them and they are dangerous, but I don't think this year's team is as good as the last two, and they were knocked out early.
EKYBubbaWatson Wrote:Come on HDE, Allen in 2012 didn't do what McDaniel did all last year and especially what he did in the postseason. If you all want to make an argument that Barger or Fox is having a better statistical year then show that, a point guard shooting 59% from the FT line and one 3 pointer on the entire year (Barger) isn't a great point guard imo. I haven't watched Jackson play this year but yes Fox is a talented kid. I am glad he is finally scoring, but for some reason with a very talented team Jackson appears to still not be a good, or at least consistent team. The 13th region teams are extremely weak and it is quite sad watching some of the teams even play.
Come on EKY,McDaniel has not played near the competition that Barger has played. Here are your stats,Barger in 5 games 105 pts. 21.0 pts per game field goals 56.9 % 8.2 per game 24 rebounds McDaniel's 9 games four more than Barger and no where the competition he has 170 pts.field goals 44.2% 5.6 per. game and 34 rebounds . Barger does not need to shoot a lot of three pointers he's got shooting guards for that ,yes he is a true point guard like a quarter back he don't need to score a lot just be the reason your team scored a lot.......
outsidelookin Wrote:Come on EKY,McDaniel has not played near the competition that Barger has played. Here are your stats,Barger in 5 games 105 pts. 21.0 pts per game field goals 56.9 % 8.2 per game 24 rebounds McDaniel's 9 games four more than Barger and no where the competition he has 170 pts.field goals 44.2% 5.6 per. game and 34 rebounds . Barger does not need to shoot a lot of three pointers he's got shooting guards for that ,yes he is a true point guard like a quarter back he don't need to score a lot just be the reason your team scored a lot.......

Oh and FOX he is a true point guard!!!!!
outsidelookin Wrote:Come on EKY,McDaniel has not played near the competition that Barger has played. Here are your stats,Barger in 5 games 105 pts. 21.0 pts per game field goals 56.9 % 8.2 per game 24 rebounds McDaniel's 9 games four more than Barger and no where the competition he has 170 pts.field goals 44.2% 5.6 per. game and 34 rebounds . Barger does not need to shoot a lot of three pointers he's got shooting guards for that ,yes he is a true point guard like a quarter back he don't need to score a lot just be the reason your team scored a lot.......

Can you really do percentages though and only choosing 5 games? I see your point on points and boards but percentages wouldn't make sense unless you did all 9 games for KC.
And McDaniel averaged 21 a game in his first 5 games so that really isn't something to compare either. I'm assuming you used KHSAA. See what Barger stats are after 9 games.
HDE Wrote:Pietrowski will get everything he can out of them and they are dangerous, but I don't think this year's team is as good as the last two, and they were knocked out early.

This may be the least talented team I've seen him have, but they play harder than last year's squad, I think. The region is also probably a little weaker this year than it has been. I think Clay, Knox, and Jackson are in the top tier of the region, talent-wise, then the second tier is a large group of teams, with Corbin and Harlan County near the top. I think the field will shake out a little in the second half of the season.
Outsidelookingin, McDaniel doesn't play more than 15-20 minutes a game in 6 of the 9 games because the games have been in control and Marcum pulls the starters when up more than 20. You can break down stats any way you want, you take your guy I'll take mine. I'm not sure what stats even mean in December anyway. Its a long season, and do you seriously think Knox has played a tough schedule? Nobody in the 13th has a tough schedule with the exception of Clay's schedule in January.
EKYBubbaWatson Wrote:Outsidelookingin, McDaniel doesn't play more than 15-20 minutes a game in 6 of the 9 games because the games have been in control and Marcum pulls the starters when up more than 20. You can break down stats any way you want, you take your guy I'll take mine. I'm not sure what stats even mean in December anyway. Its a long season, and do you seriously think Knox has played a tough schedule? Nobody in the 13th has a tough schedule with the exception of Clay's schedule in January.
Look BUBBA,if the kid has not played 15 to 20 minutes a game because they was up 20 points clearly shows clay has NOT played anyone.As for your schedule in January knox central has played three of these teams BOYLE,WAYNE AND PERRY COUNTY so go get you some...so yes knox central's schedule has been tougher than anyone in the 13th so far.By the way you put the stats out....SORRY.Oh KC beat clay last year by 8 ...just saying
Proof that the 14th is head and shoulders better than the 13th.
I've watched clay play about 5 times this season I still think their the favorite just the simple fact there more athletic than all the other teams in the region and seems to me the games I've watched except the Breathitt game Clay doesn't really start playing until the 3rd quarter. Farmer can shoot the ball better than I thought, Allen hasn't done what I expected him to do but I think as the season progress he will come threw, Smith and Wolfe are just flat out athletic......Mcdaniel is still trying to figure out how to play with 3 new players b/c last year he had the ''GREEN LIGHT"......But all in all just b/c they lost one game doesn't mean nothing....any team can have a bad night!
I would love for Marcum to come out of that zone just one time against Jackson and watch McDaniel try to guard Fox. He would drop 40.
Why we even still on this? Clay smacked their last two opponents since this game.
Why would CC play man against JC? As far as I know JC has no proven shooters and Allen cannot guard anyone on their team. As for McDaniel he is not a good defender however he has been playing better defense this year for Clay. Fox played good defense on Clay last yr at Clay, McDaniel scoring 18 in the final quarter. Jackson will have to prove they can make a 3 before Robert considers playing anything else. As bad as Clay defends the 3 as a team, Jackson will probably have a number of open looks.
The 13th Region will face off against some good competition this weekend in the Cumberland Falls Invitational at Corbin High School.

Cumberland Falls Invitational Preview
Ballers Wrote:Proof that the 14th is head and shoulders better than the 13th.

Lets take away every team in the 14th region who is playing a transfer student.

THEN 13th is heads and shoulders above the 14th.
I was typing fast and said the wrong thing in regards to the Breathitt Clay score...

But if you geniuses are dwelling on that then you obviously didn't get where that whole post was going

Last week we were saying Clay was the best team around and they lose to a second tier team in the 14th.

No matter what the scores are...
Whenever two meaningful teams from the 13th and 14th play it ends in an L for the 13th.

Not trying to stir up trouble - just making observations.

When that ball goes up during the tip a game starts and each game has a life of it's own. It may get called a little differently, one of your main players may get in foul trouble, some player may come off the bench for 20 points who averages 4 per game...
Whoever scores the most points win and the best teams close out games. If it's Perry in a nail biter against a 13th region team in Manchester or Breathitt in a double OT game against Clay -the better team prevails.

You wanna change my mind - knock off Perry or Knott. Don't just play them close or declare a moral victory - knock em off
zaga_fan Wrote:I was typing fast and said the wrong thing in regards to the Breathitt Clay score...

But if you geniuses are dwelling on that then you obviously didn't get where that whole post was going

Last week we were saying Clay was the best team around

I wouldn't say people are necessarily saying that as much as they are that the Tigers are probably 3-4 in the mountains.
UKCC Wrote:I wouldn't say people are necessarily saying that as much as they are that the Tigers are probably 3-4 in the mountains.

I posted that before I was done lol

I specifically remember the number 1 talk being brought up.

I can buy #4