Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Game of the Year
Now that the season has sadly come to a close, what is everyone's opinion on the best game of the year?

Here are a few games that I thought could be contenders:

Belfry 3, Wayne County 0 (State Championship)
Collins 37, Highlands 34 (State Championship)
Highlands 71, Warren Central 69
Male 44, St. Xavier 40
Male 23, St. Xavier 21 (Playoffs)
DuPont Manual 32, Male 29
St. Xavier 24, DuPont Manual 23
Newport Central Catholic 49, Somerset 48 (2OT Playoffs)
Ensworth, TN 27, Trinity 26
Bowling Green 26, Blackman, TN 25

Are there any others that I am missing?
McCracken Co 34 Mayfield 35

At the time #1 Mayfield 41 #1 Caldwell Co 48

PaducahTilghman by 1 over McCracken, cant remember score.
even though the game broke my heart the Highlands-Collins State game had to be the best of the state championships. last second lead changes. backup qb throws the game winner. revenge from the year before....it was a freakn movie. 3-0 games are snoozy.
It was definitely the best state championship game of the year.
It is not even close, HHS/Collins. Nobody picked this game. Even #1UKfan who picked it was not serious and just trying to get under the skin of HHS fans (although now that Collins won he is going to act like he was serious about picking them). Great game and will be talked about forever. Can not think of a better way to win a state title than to be a huge underdog and beat the state's best program, with a kid off the bench with seconds left, for your schools 1st title. Those boys will talk about that day to the day their maker calls them home!
I would tend to agree that was the best game of the year.
Collins/Highlands
Belfry/Wayne
BG/Blackman

In that order.
Highlands vs Warren Central.

In my eyes proof that you never give up on a game no matter what the score is.
Yeah, tell me about it. I think we had McCracken down 21 when they started their rally.
sstack Wrote:It is not even close, HHS/Collins. Nobody picked this game. Even #1UKfan who picked it was not serious and just trying to get under the skin of HHS fans (although now that Collins won he is going to act like he was serious about picking them). Great game and will be talked about forever. Can not think of a better way to win a state title than to be a huge underdog and beat the state's best program, with a kid off the bench with seconds left, for your schools 1st title. Those boys will talk about that day to the day their maker calls them home!

There were some great football games played in the state this year but I don't think any can top that game. It has to be one of the best state championship games of all time. Even without the improbable ending, what a great football game between two very good teams battling for a state championship. And wow, what a story. This will be a game that will be talked about for a long, long time.
I'd say to most fans the Collins win over Highlands would have to be the best game of the year. No matter who you cheer for that game had some magical moments that no one in Bowling Green will forget.

To the poster who says 3-0 games are "snoozy". To the fans in either side of the Belfry v Wayne Co. game it was a thriller to the very end, but I can see how someone who didn't have any hometown pride on the line might not enjoy that game. But IMO it definitely wasn't snoozy.
Buc Wild Wrote:I'd say to most fans the Collins win over Highlands would have to be the best game of the year. No matter who you cheer for that game had some magical moments that no one in Bowling Green will forget.

To the poster who says 3-0 games are "snoozy". To the fans in either side of the Belfry v Wayne Co. game it was a thriller to the very end, but I can see how someone who didn't have any hometown pride on the line might not enjoy that game. But IMO it definitely wasn't snoozy.

I agree with you. Besides I don't know what game he was talking about, ...last second lead changes....

Collins slaying the giant I think was the biggest game, but Belfry and Wayne Co. I think was second. Wayne Co. was no slouch and with only a 3 point difference, this game had you on the edge of your seat until the last tick of the clock.
2a semi's with NCC and Somerset. 2 ot's and to lose on an extra point, wow! If their kicker didn't miss they might still be playing. They were matched as evenly as it gets.
All of these games in the watered down six class system. You guys can't be serious, remember there are no good games any more.
MtnHSFootballFan Wrote:I agree with you. Besides I don't know what game he was talking about, ...last second lead changes....

Collins slaying the giant I think was the biggest game, but Belfry and Wayne Co. I think was second. Wayne Co. was no slouch and with only a 3 point difference, this game had you on the edge of your seat until the last tick of the clock.

I was talking about the 3 lead changes within the final 2 mins of the 4th qrt of the Highlands Collins game... Collins took the lead back with a toss from the back up QB with like 9 seconds left. im sure the 3-0 was great football buuuuuut..... tds are awesome, im American.
Somebody needs to make this catch a gif....

[Image: http://cmsimg.nky.com/apps/pbcsi.dll/bil...gh-swallow]
Somerset VS NCC Class 2A simi state Somerset 48-NCC 49 In double OT
I would say Collins/Highlands. 3-0? Although a great game... This isn't baseball.
Wildcat18 Wrote:I would say Collins/Highlands. 3-0? Although a great game... This isn't baseball.

No, but it's football with great defense. I prefer a bit more scoring myself but you don't get to see 3-0 games very often in the finals.
Wildcat18 Wrote:I would say Collins/Highlands. 3-0? Although a great game... This isn't baseball.

Nice observation there guru, but if my team gives up 69, 71, 49, 48, 37, or 34 I'm pissed off when I leave the stadium. I don't go talking about what a great game it was. Like I said, if you're a fan of either team it was a thriller but not everybody enjoys the defensive wars and I understand that, but don't think that everyone enjoys seeing a game without defense either.
MtnHSFootballFan & Buc Wild -- I understand what you are both are saying and I agree with most of your points. I guess I should expand on why I chose that game over the defensive battle. In the Wayne/Belfry game I saw a TON of dropped passes and missed chances to put points on the board, specifically on the Wayne side. Although you can credit that to good defense, a lot of those dropped balls were great passes that hit the receivers hands. What you call good defense, I call ugly offense in this particular game. I'll put most of that blame on the weather conditions strictly because I've seen Wayne's high powered offense previously and that wasn't it. In the Collins/Highlands game I saw a backup QB come in with the game on the line and lead his team to victory. You could make a movie out of that. I don't see that with the 3A title game.
Wildcat18 Wrote:MtnHSFootballFan & Buc Wild -- I understand what you are both are saying and I agree with most of your points. I guess I should expand on why I chose that game over the defensive battle. In the Wayne/Belfry game I saw a TON of dropped passes and missed chances to put points on the board, specifically on the Wayne side. Although you can credit that to good defense, a lot of those dropped balls were great passes that hit the receivers hands. What you call good defense, I call ugly offense in this particular game. I'll put most of that blame on the weather conditions strictly because I've seen Wayne's high powered offense previously and that wasn't it. In the Collins/Highlands game I saw a backup QB come in with the game on the line and lead his team to victory. You could make a movie out of that. I don't see that with the 3A title game.

That one has my vote as the best game, too, and I see what you mean.
MtnHSFootballFan Wrote:I agree with you. Besides I don't know what game he was talking about, ...last second lead changes....

Wildcat18 Wrote:MtnHSFootballFan & Buc Wild -- I understand what you are both are saying and I agree with most of your points. I guess I should expand on why I chose that game over the defensive battle. In the Wayne/Belfry game I saw a TON of dropped passes and missed chances to put points on the board, specifically on the Wayne side. Although you can credit that to good defense, a lot of those dropped balls were great passes that hit the receivers hands. What you call good defense, I call ugly offense in this particular game. I'll put most of that blame on the weather conditions strictly because I've seen Wayne's high powered offense previously and that wasn't it. In the Collins/Highlands game I saw a backup QB come in with the game on the line and lead his team to victory. You could make a movie out of that. I don't see that with the 3A title game.
I think you failed to read my post. I stated that I thought the Collins-Highlands game (Collins slaying the giant I think was the biggest game) was number 1 (in other words, to make it plainer for you, I chose that one over the defensive battle) and Belfry-Wayne Co. was number 2. I'm really sorry that I hit some kind of nerve that caused you to feel that you had to run down my very short (one word) summary of the Belfry game. I really don't care whether you call it ugly defense or pretty defense. The fact that will stand forever is that Wayne County scored zero points and they didn't drop every pass nor did they get to touch every pass (a lot of them were batted away by the shhhh!, defense) and Belfry only scored 3 points and they didn't fumble every snap. If you're not happy with this post or can't understand it, try another thread. You don't have to explain to me why you felt the way you did nor do I have to explain why I chose the way I did. I didn't question you about your choice. This thread asked for opinions. I watched both games and I gave mine.
MtnHSFootballFan Wrote:I think you failed to read my post. I stated that I thought the Collins-Highlands game (Collins slaying the giant I think was the biggest game) was number 1 (in other words, to make it plainer for you, I chose that one over the defensive battle) and Belfry-Wayne Co. was number 2. I'm really sorry that I hit some kind of nerve that caused you to feel that you had to run down my very short (one word) summary of the Belfry game. I really don't care whether you call it ugly defense or pretty defense. The fact that will stand forever is that Wayne County scored zero points and they didn't drop every pass nor did they get to touch every pass (a lot of them were batted away by the shhhh!, defense) and Belfry only scored 3 points and they didn't fumble every snap. If you're not happy with this post or can't understand it, try another thread. You don't have to explain to me why you felt the way you did nor do I have to explain why I chose the way I did. I didn't question you about your choice. This thread asked for opinions. I watched both games and I gave mine.

Whoa! Chill out my man. No need to be a smart @$$. I missed your first post altogether and was strictly responding to your comment toward mine. I wasn't taking a shot at anyone. LOL. You may need to ask your personal physician for heart medication if you're that on edge in life.
Wildcat18 Wrote:Whoa! Chill out my man. No need to be a smart @$$. I missed your first post altogether and was strictly responding to your comment toward mine. I wasn't taking a shot at anyone. LOL. You may need to ask your personal physician for heart medication if you're that on edge in life.

Sounds like you need to chill out. Your remarks beg for a smart reply, but I don't want to get on that level. You just wanted to argue and now you want to be smart. I agreed with your #1 choice and you were arguing with me. I said nothing in my first reply to you about any choice. I had already said that in a previous post. As far as defense, every time that Belfry needed to stop Wayne Co. they did. They didn't have to stop them when Wayne Co. dropped a pass, made a miscue or committed a penalty. The score shows that Belfry did stop them every other time, so technically that's 100% perfect defense. You only have to stop them when you have to stop them. And the score also indicates that Wayne Co. played doggone near perfect defense also, stopping Belfry nearly every time they needed to, just not quite. Remember, you only have to stop them when YOU have to stop them. Both of these teams had put up a lot of points up until this game but they had never faced a strong defense like the other brought either. So this was a great defensive battle, like I said.

MtnHSFootballFan Wrote:No, but it's football with great defense. I prefer a bit more scoring myself but you don't get to see 3-0 games very often in the finals.

Also I made the statement above that I prefer a bit more scoring myself but seeing 2 teams going for it with all they had and playing so evenly and making stops nearly every time they needed to make stops is a very rare treat.
MtnHSFootballFan Wrote:Sounds like you need to chill out. Your remarks beg for a smart reply, but I don't want to get on that level. You just wanted to argue and now you want to be smart. I agreed with your #1 choice and you were arguing with me. I said nothing in my first reply to you about any choice. I had already said that in a previous post. As far as defense, every time that Belfry needed to stop Wayne Co. they did. They didn't have to stop them when Wayne Co. dropped a pass, made a miscue or committed a penalty. The score shows that Belfry did stop them every other time, so technically that's 100% perfect defense. You only have to stop them when you have to stop them. And the score also indicates that Wayne Co. played doggone near perfect defense also, stopping Belfry nearly every time they needed to, just not quite. Remember, you only have to stop them when YOU have to stop them. Both of these teams had put up a lot of points up until this game but they had never faced a strong defense like the other brought either. So this was a great defensive battle, like I said.

Also I made the statement above that I prefer a bit more scoring myself but seeing 2 teams going for it with all they had and playing so evenly and making stops nearly every time they needed to make stops is a very rare treat.

I missed your first post completely because I didn't read the entire thread beforehand and for that I apologize. I gave my opinion without arguing anything. You didn't have to respond, but you did. You need a hobby outside of a message board if you're getting this worked up over an opinion. :HitWall:
New cath vs somerset. What a game! 2OTs
Wildcat18 Wrote:I missed your first post completely because I didn't read the entire thread beforehand and for that I apologize. I gave my opinion without arguing anything. You didn't have to respond, but you did. You need a hobby outside of a message board if you're getting this worked up over an opinion. :HitWall:

I'm not worked up. I've been rather nice. You're the one who sounds worked up and gets smart and snotty. You keep coming up with this thing about getting worked up and needing another hobby. Well, apparently you do. I guess you're the one who needs to see your doctor and get some reality pills. You keep trying to twist or invent something to make me look bad so you'll not look as bad as you do. I think you've demonstrated that you're not going to come with an honest answer nor a kind one either, no matter how I set the tone, so just post what ever you want and let it reflect on you. I see no reason to respond. I did kindly respond to a comment about a 3-0 game sounding like a baseball game but nothing to get you so worked up, just to point out that they're rare. Hey, I even said that I prefer some more points myself, being friendly. Have a good time, post what you want, make yourself feel good. And the best to you. In other words, God Bless You!
MtnHSFootballFan Wrote:I'm not worked up. I've been rather nice. You're the one who sounds worked up and gets smart and snotty. You keep coming up with this thing about getting worked up and needing another hobby. Well, apparently you do. I guess you're the one who needs to see your doctor and get some reality pills. You keep trying to twist or invent something to make me look bad so you'll not look as bad as you do. I think you've demonstrated that you're not going to come with an honest answer nor a kind one either, no matter how I set the tone, so just post what ever you want and let it reflect on you. I see no reason to respond. I did kindly respond to a comment about a 3-0 game sounding like a baseball game but nothing to get you so worked up, just to point out that they're rare. Hey, I even said that I prefer some more points myself, being friendly. Have a good time, post what you want, make yourself feel good. And the best to you. In other words, God Bless You!

I really didn't think my initial post directed toward you and Buc Wild was out of line at all. I went back to re-read it. It wasn't meant to be sarcastic or argumentative and was 100% opinion. I didn't take any shots at anyone, you included. You seemed to have flipped your lid right after that and I'm still not really sure why. However, we can agree on one thing...God bless you too.
The Bowling Green vs Blackman Tn, game was the best high school football game I've ever seen. Unbelievable! Disclaimer- I'm a homer.