CB: Keaton Taylor (Sr) 5'11" 153
CB:
S: Kaleb Edwards (Sr) 5'10" 175
S:

Top Returning Reserves:

S/LB: Cameron Catron (So) 5'9" 165
CB: Xondre Willis (Jr) 5'9" 155
DT: Cole Bentley (So) 6'4" 255

Gibbs ain't been 6'0 since 8th grade...lol...but who knows about the line ups next year it's to early some might not even be here next year...
^ I just used the roster listed on the KHSAA under state finals information. If anyone has more accurate info, please feel free to point it out.
PaytoPlay Wrote:^ I just used the roster listed on the KHSAA under state finals information. If anyone has more accurate info, please feel free to point it out.

I know you were...I was just sayin in general...Austin Gibbs is 6'3" 270...a lot of em are wrong in my opinion..but hey it's good they look smaller on paper.....
Central returns only there center and QB on offense. They have athletic kids to step in but they are lacking lineman. Defense has 6 back

Bell : returns a lot

Corbin : returns a lot

Wayne : loses 17 seniors

Tighlman : no one can get a pulse on them

South Warren : people I talk to including some coaches in the west are saying that they are going to be tough
^ Mason will take a step back also, as will Lawrence Co. IMO.

Russell, Gararrd and Monroe Co. We're all young and may trend up.
Pike Central will return a lot that will be seniors but I don't see anyone challenging Belfry in the east
I know Pike Central returns most of their skill guys, but they just don't seem to have much beef.
A few names you can keep up with, No guarantees but you could see these guys in some spots next year... some of them currently play spots occupied but could be moved around. Just some talented/athletic players. Some need to improve at certain things.

So. Andrew Fletcher (RB/FB/DE/LB), Sr. Tyler Jude (QB/Safety), So. Austin Woolum (WR), So. Brayden Preece (OL), So. Austin Dotson (OL), Sr. Jeremy Harrison (OL), So. Leonard Young, Jr. Keilan Carr (WR/DT?), Jr. Nate Sanger, Fr. Devin Varney (RB/Safety), Fr. Justin Adkins (QB/RB/CB)
Jude is a good kid , he is a good athlete. Solid as a db. But I don't see him starting at QB. I could be wrong though
^ Jude looks like he could benefit from a good offseason in the weight room. We will see if he can get on the field.

QB will be interesting though. If it is Taylor, you lose your best guy on the outside, but you get a home run threat with the QB option keep. Assuming he can throw it enough to keep other teams honest, I like Catron. I think he could run the offense and be a quick/fast/hard nosed runner. Admittedly, I know nothing of Jude. Who ran the JV and Frosh offenses during those respective games?
joethegreek Wrote:Jude is a good kid , he is a good athlete. Solid as a db. But I don't see him starting at QB. I could be wrong though

I think you're right, perhaps if he was going to be a junior. Maybe he can chip in at DB (freeing Catron up to play HB along side Willis) or wide receiver.
Belfry0304 Wrote:A few names you can keep up with, No guarantees but you could see these guys in some spots next year... some of them currently play spots occupied but could be moved around. Just some talented/athletic players. Some need to improve at certain things.

So. Andrew Fletcher (RB/FB/DE/LB), Sr. Tyler Jude (QB/Safety), So. Austin Woolum (WR), So. Brayden Preece (OL), So. Austin Dotson (OL), Sr. Jeremy Harrison (OL), So. Leonard Young, Jr. Keilan Carr (WR/DT?), Jr. Nate Sanger, Fr. Devin Varney (RB/Safety), Fr. Justin Adkins (QB/RB/CB)

is there no chance Keilan plays HB I know he used to be fast?
cuppett777 Wrote:is there no chance Keilan plays HB I know he used to be fast?

Possible, but Keilan is a BIG kid. More of a FB type. I'd say 2-3 inches taller than Trenity.
Belfry has so many options in the backfield. Lol
Belfry0304 Wrote:Possible, but Keilan is a BIG kid. More of a FB type. I'd say 2-3 inches taller than Trenity.

I seen he had gotten taller watching on the internet he he gave Warren a big hug,could he be a Matt Maynard type?not sure if he has Matts speed..
joethegreek Wrote:Belfry has so many options in the backfield. Lol

they always do,but the reason I ask because this freshman class I know little about expect for a few and after them I wont know any because I am not there any more...
Kaleb Edwards can carry the ball if need be. X and Fletcher will be the starting RBs IMO. But you always need depth or injuries will devastate your season.

The younger Carr didn't get much clock this year, but Trenity really busted out during his Soph-junior offseason. Maybe Keilan does the same.

Woolum is a good athlete. Maybe he can play some CB or SE.

Selfishly, I'd love to see A. Hall at some SE. He will be probably the second fastest guy on the team, and at 6'3" he would be tough to gaurd on deep balls.
You won't see that many kids going both ways. Even less kids moving forward. I'd say we'll try to get Keaton off of D. Cole will be the one that goes both sides. I don't know if any others will.
Yeah, Bently will likely play both sides. I agree.
Hayden Hatfield and Sani are the guys that are creating the most issue to replace.

Belfry clearly has options at QB including Keaton who would actually give you a bit of an improvement with his running ability... but no matter what you do you will have a substantial drop off in passing aptitude as well as ball handling.

When it comes to Keaton the questions that have to be addressed:
- How important is a big play receiver if you will struggle to pass any way?
- Is the drop off to a second string WR a bigger impact than the dropoff having Keaton play QB over someone else?

Personally, I think you have to go with Keaton at QB (barring someone elevates their game).. he is clearly one of Belfry's most dynamic threats and best runners.. he also has the height to at least give your passing game a chance as well as he already has varsity and big game experience at QB.

Moreso than that, from a distance it appears as though Belfry's single greatest question mark next year will be who will tote the rock for the explosive plays and where will the offense come outside of riding your FB.. having Keaton touch the ball every play certainly improves your chance for big plays.

X Willis is definitely the key. If X can rehab and get back in time and be 100% then you solve two very big issues immediately. You get your feature HB with big play ability to replace Johnson,,, you also get a very good CB.. thus helping offset the loss of Sani on Defense.

Cameron Johnson to Catron is almost a no brainer. Catron should step into that role in a seemless transition.

Replacing Noseguard doesn't scare me too much... Belfry has nice options there.

But Hayden Hatfield is the single spot on Defense where Belfry is about to take a major, major blow. He was simply awesome this year and even when the Belfry defense was floundering you could count on Hayden to always be electric. Haywood has been able to dial up that "Quick" DT that is ever so vital to his defense for years now beginning with Michael Hackney and Phillip Varney... but there is not a name jumping out yet as the heir apparent. My first instinct is to say TJ Dotson who really grew as a player at DE... move him down and play Bentley at DE. Bentley has got to get leaner and quicker and improve his ability to disengage blockers though, especially against the spread.. I love the idea of him and Hall (the opposite of Bentley.. he has the quickness but needs to get bigger, stronger and better against the run) being bookend DE's with their height and age.

The Defense appears to have the making of a truly special unit. Though Belfry technically only returns 7 Starters I really only see it as truly needing to replace Hatfield to regain their form.

Offensively Belfry is going to need to figure things out, especially at the skill positions. Luckily the nucleus of that line will certainly give them the chance to have a bit of trial and error with some cushion.
What I am intrigued to see is what this next crop of Freshman actually translates into. I don't see the physical specimens who enter essentially varsity ready like Horton, Bentley, and Hall.... I do see some Fletcher's and Catron's who I think can add depth.

The three kids who stuck out to me for seeing the field is Varney, Wellman, and Hunter.

Varney is a very, very naturally gifted kid. He has that "it" factor and I have no doubt you don't see him in the Belfry backfield by his Soph season. He kind of reminds me of a young Michael West that played for Lawrence. He has a long ways to go physically.. but I almost wonder if you don't give him a crack at SE if Taylor moves to QB. The kid certainly has hands.

Wellman will be up against the Depth Chart at LB and it will be next to impossible to beat out Hatfield and Stanley... but he certainly can provide some depth.

Hunter is the kid who is a bit of a Wild Card. He is miles away from being ready to play Varsity right now as he still has to learn a lot of the fundamental things and generally learn how to play the game better... but goodness gracious does that kid have the raw athleticism you rarely see come through Belfry. I really see a lot of comparison to him and one of my favorite Pirates Matt Maynard. When Doug, Dave, and then Matt played you had to stand up anytime Haywood dialed up their number because the odds were better that they would make a big play than anything... Hunter has that skillset.

No way can Hunter step in at HB in Belfry's precision offense... but the thought of just getting him to speed on kick return and obvious passing situations where he can take that bubble screen and make a play in space has me salivating.
accidental post
Congrats to Belfry on this win and I was happy to see the coach get his 3rd. I'm not trying to start anything and this is just something that was said to me and I don't know if it has any truth in it. From what I was told coach Haywood has said to some people in the past that if he could win his 3rd he would like to retire and go out a champion. I would just like to know if there is any truth to this. Believe it or not I hope this is not true because this would hurt Mountain football IMO.
Do-double-gg Wrote:Congrats to Belfry on this win and I was happy to see the coach get his 3rd. I'm not trying to start anything and this is just something that was said to me and I don't know if it has any truth in it. From what I was told coach Haywood has said to some people in the past that if he could win his 3rd he would like to retire and go out a champion. I would just like to know if there is any truth to this. Believe it or not I hope this is not true because this would hurt Mountain football IMO.

Former Belfry/Marshall standout Irv Dotson has a son who I would venture to say is 6-8 years old, Coach Haywood told Irv that he looks forward to coaching him in a few years. Lol.
Do-double-gg Wrote:Congrats to Belfry on this win and I was happy to see the coach get his 3rd. I'm not trying to start anything and this is just something that was said to me and I don't know if it has any truth in it. From what I was told coach Haywood has said to some people in the past that if he could win his 3rd he would like to retire and go out a champion. I would just like to know if there is any truth to this. Believe it or not I hope this is not true because this would hurt Mountain football IMO.

I would bet big money that Haywood at least wants to take one crack with this group of Freshman and the incoming guys when they are upper-classmen.
It looks like Coach Haywood has several chances to go out a champ and leave the program in great shape. The future is very bright in Pirate land. The program is clicking on all cylinders with the youth league being ran by former Belfry coaches and the kids learning the basics and fundamentals of both the offense and the defenses schemes at a very young age.

I expect to see Coach Haywood on the sidelines for several years more years to come.
I think TJ Dotson could and should see time at HB. He was a really good back in middle school but hasn't had his chance in high school.
pirate*fan#2 Wrote:I think TJ Dotson could and should see time at HB. He was a really good back in middle school but hasn't had his chance in high school.

I can agree with that, but as we have seen we really need to play kids one way. I would be surprised if there's more than 2. TJ really ran hard in the county game in 8th grade, but he's a monster at defensive end right now and a fresh TJ at D-end doesn't bode well for slot receivers and offenses in general. I would venture to say him and Hall will work hard and be two noticeably thicker men in 2014.
Belfry should be a handful the next couple of seasons.
How many does this make for Belfry 3 ????
  •  Previous
  • 2(current)
  • Next