•  Previous
  • 5(current)
  • Next 
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Collins 37 Highlands 34 (4A State Championship)
well Collins showed how to beat the Highland, maybe JC can take a page from there playbook,would love to see JC take them out b4 they even make it...
Tommy2tone Wrote:Anyone know the last time HHS lost a playoff game or a game to an instate school?

yep,12/7/2013 to Collins...:Thumbs:
Absolute best high school game I have ever seen. Who would have thought, a team from a school that is only 4 years old would end the mighty Bluebirds streak with their backup QB making the game winning touchdown pass. Unbelievable.

Both teams played great and left it all out on the field but the Titans came out on top! It has been a joy to watch this team grow the past 4 years, and for the seniors, I couldn't think of a better way to end it. Congrats to Highlands on another great season. They had a heck of a team and have a fantastic program. 3 state championships in 4 years ain't bad.

Collins Titans 2013 4A State Champs! Let's celebrate! :CheerleadConfusedinglepar
Wow
So is Collins the best team in the state lol
http://www.sentinelnews.com/content/tita...tate-title
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Back up QB Browning Becherer finished the season 2-2 passing for 56 yards, 2 TDs, and 1 state championship.
blue1424 Wrote:Absolute best high school game I have ever seen. Who would have thought, a team from a school that is only 4 years old would end the mighty Bluebirds streak with their backup QB making the game winning touchdown pass. Unbelievable.

Both teams played great and left it all out on the field but the Titans came out on top! It has been a joy to watch this team grow the past 4 years, and for the seniors, I couldn't think of a better way to end it. Congrats to Highlands on another great season. They had a heck of a team and have a fantastic program. 3 state championships in 4 years ain't bad.

Collins Titans 2013 4A State Champs! Let's celebrate! :CheerleadConfusedinglepar

Congrats on a great season!
Way to go Collins!
Did I just see where Collins rushed for 270 yards on HHS.
Tommy2tone Wrote:Did I just see where Collins rushed for 270 yards on HHS.

That is correct. Ryan Watkins had 121 yards on 17 carries and Lawson Page had 108 yards on 15 carries.

http://khsaa.org/football/2013/4afinal.htm
Over 400 yds total LOL
Officials and Collins High School coach Jerry Lucas just couldn't come to an agreement near the end of Saturday's Class 4-A football state championship game.

Referees deemed Collins quarterback Lawson Page's helmet fell off at the end of the previous play, while Lucas insisted it was ripped off. Either way, due to KHSAA rules the starting quarterback had to sit out the next play -- the biggest in Collins' four-year existence.

Facing fourth down in the red zone with 13 seconds left, the Titans kept their fate in the family. Backup Browning Becherer, Page's cousin, came off the bench and rifled a 12-yard touchdown pass to secure a 37-34 victory over perennial power Fort Thomas Highlands, No. 1 in The Courier-Journal's Litkenhous Ratings.

"The amazing thing for me is, we call timeout, set the play and have everything ready to go," Lucas said. "Then in a split second, we've got to change quarterbacks. I talked to (Becherer) -- told him what we've got -- and sent him out there.

"It was beautiful."

Becherer looked right, pump faked and then rifled a pass over the middle to Sames, who had already caught five passes earlier in the day from Page. Registered with seven seconds left, the touchdown served as the final Collins (13-2) answer to three Highlands scores in the fourth quarter.

The Bluebirds (13-2) used long touchdown plays -- passes of 34 and 42 yards from quarterback Drew Houliston -- followed by running back Zach Harris' 1-yard lunge to the end zone in rallying from a 23-14 deficit.

But Collins, a Shelby County school opened in 2010, always had a response.

The Titans' final drive measured 80 yards on nine plays, eight of which were run with Page under center. Then referees told Page fourth down was a no-go.

"I was upset," he said. "But when reality set in I was like, 'Browning's an awesome quarterback who's going to get the job done.' "

"He's my cousin, and I want to be just like him," Becherer, a junior, said of the senior Page. "I was nervous, but I didn't have time to think of it. I just did what had to be done."

Page completed 15 of 23 passes for 178 yards and a touchdown. He also rushed for 108 yards, second to running back Ryan Watkins' 121. Western Kentucky commit DeAndre Farris added 43 yards and a pair of touchdowns, both of them in the second half.

By that time, Collins had well established its intentions of not going away.

"They're a good football team," said Highlands coach Dale Mueller. "If one guy's out, the next guy has to come in. ... Their second guy was ready to come in and make a play."

Collins elected to receive the opening kick, a decision that appeared unwise when Masai Whyte muffed it and the Titans started their drive at the 8-yard line. But using a misdirection running attack and short passes, Page guided Collins to a 13-play, 92-yard touchdown drive.

"We talked and thought we needed something to go well early for them to believe," Lucas said.

Added Page: "The first time we scored -- right when we drove down and scored, we knew this was our game."

Collins pulled away from Highlands on Farris' and Sames' first scores of the day in the third quarter. The Titans saved a tearful celebration for the final buzzer.

Since coming to Collins from his job as an assistant at Shelby County in 2010, Lucas has led the Titans to four winning seasons and two state championship appearances. Lucas stared his ultimate goal -- a program among the likes of Highlands -- in the face on Saturday.

The Bluebirds, winners of five straight championships before Saturday, beat Collins 47-0 in last year's game to win their state-record 22nd title.

"That's what we're trying to build," Lucas said. "and this is obviously one more huge step in us getting there."

http://lms.usatodayhss.com/louisville/ar...le-stunner
Amazing !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Congratulations Collins! Must have been a real barn burner.
WideRight05 Wrote:Even the best lose to a crap team every now and then.

The best teams lose to average teams with good game plans; average teams lose to crap teams, good plan or not.

Beautiful!

Everybody loves it because Highlands fans are the most arrogant fans on the face of the earth!!

(Just ahead of Steelers fans.)

Is Dale slipping?!
QB Challenge Champion, Just Pitching Champion, Midi Golf Champion- My Greatest Accomplishments in Life
Olympus has fallen! It took a Titan(s) to take down a God(s) Tonight.

So many places to go with this. First, Great game tonight. One I will never forget. Just take a moment and look at what both teams have done over the last few years. Just awesome numbers for both teams. Sorry if my math is wrong Collins Sr class are now 46-11 and HHS Sr class 56-4. 102-15 total between the two Wow.

Collins looked like a champion. Played like a champion. And became a Champion!

Beat the unbeatble. Ended the peat(s). Ended the playoff win streak at 34. The first KY team to beat them since Ryle 2010 and only the 5th team since 2007 (Colerain OH 2008, Ryle 2010, Elder 2012, Elder and Collins 2013 adds themselfs to this great list of teams.

And so the streak ends 2007-2013 total W-L 100-5 again wow. And another starts Collins since 2010 46-11. At least 11 wins and moving forward in each passing season.

A Huge Congrats to all the Collins Players. The Collins Seniors. Very Nice win! The parents of Players and the whole community of Collins. You did it. I am gald it didn't end on a bad play or call. The rule about the helmet comming off was the right call. But what a huge play by the next guy up! Now get that Ring and wear it Proud!

At last we come to a close. I am a Big fan of High football! I Proud Parent of a Highlands Sr. I am so thankful to be apart of this ride. Thank you guys!

To next years birds I only have one thing to say:

BEAT COLONELS
Highlands have gone on a great run. Runs end. I've coached these kids coming up and they've smashed older teams put against them. Trinity is done taking our top players. Legacys end. Good game good season, but its over. It will be Collins now and in the future. We talk with the scoreboard not the stats. SCOREBOARD! We are the champions!!!
Although I admire the Highlands tradition, I am so happy that Collins got this win. I cannot believe the amount of disrespect they were shown prior to this game. Bluebird faithful PROMISING a romp with a running clock. IMO, no team that was capable of making it to the finals should be counted out without even a shot. Bluebird fans have become spoiled and cocky. I must say, I feel horrible for the Highlands seniors. It must be a devastating way to end a career by ruining a 6 title streak. Great game to both teams.
Warrior71 Wrote:Highlands have gone on a great run. Runs end. I've coached these kids coming up and they've smashed older teams put against them. Trinity is done taking our top players. Legacys end. Good game good season, but its over. It will be Collins now and in the future. We talk with the scoreboard not the stats. SCOREBOARD! We are the champions!!!

Yes you are!

Collins now has the same win-loss Record as Trinity vs the Birds 1-1!

what are the chances of them playing a regular season game like Boyle had done in the past. I guess we will have to wait til after next season to see if are both in the same class again.
Collins shocked the world
BeReal Wrote:Although I admire the Highlands tradition, I am so happy that Collins got this win. I cannot believe the amount of disrespect they were shown prior to this game. Bluebird faithful PROMISING a romp with a running clock. IMO, no team that was capable of making it to the finals should be counted out without even a shot. Bluebird fans have become spoiled and cocky. I must say, I feel horrible for the Highlands seniors. It must be a devastating way to end a career by ruining a 6 title streak. Great game to both teams.

Really, come on, everybody in the state had highlands picked to win this game not just highlands fans. Stop making it sound like it was just "arrogant" Highlands fans. Collins came out and played a great game, showed they improved from last year, pulled off one of biggest upsets in ky history and won the game. Congrads, enjoy the win and now learn to win with class. You know you are the king of the state when other teams/fans not involved in the game throw a party (like bob seger who has to celebrate through collins since his team can't beat them). The winning record HHS has and the game against collins last year is the reason ALL football fans around ky had HHS winning this
game. Maybe the fans have become "spoiled" like you said but who wouldn't with the string of success they have had. the players worked their butts off to
accomplish that string just like collins did this past offseason to accomplish this years championship.
BOWLING GREEN — Many of Highlands' players were inconsolable after the Bluebirds lost 37-34 to Collins in Saturday's Class 4A state championship game at Western Kentucky University.

Several were in tears. But coach Dale Mueller reminded his players of their accomplishments, most notably three state titles that stretched Highlands' streak to a state-record six, and told them to keep their heads held high.
"I just said to them in the locker room that people in their lives will be able to count on them," the coach said. "This isn't the worst thing that will happen to them in their lives. This is just a football game that they lost."
Not one Highlands player had experienced what they endured after the Bluebirds fell to Collins on the Titans' last play from scrimmage, a 12-yard touchdown pass from backup quarterback Browning Becherer, his lone snap of the game, to receiver Nathan Sames with seven seconds to play.
For the Titans, in their fourth year with a football program, it's their first state championship. Highlands has 22 state crowns to its credit. Bluebirds assistant coaches helped the dejected players sort out their emotions. Players' parents came onto the field to offer hugs. "This is awful," one player said to a parent.
It was Highlands' first postseason loss since dropping a 2006 second-round game to Covington Catholic. It was the Bluebirds' first loss to a Kentucky team since falling to Ryle during the 2010 regular season. Highlands had won its six previous state finals by an average score of 40-7.
STAT COUNT: Highlands and Collins combined for 938 total yards - 557 in the air and 381 on the ground - and 48 first downs. The Titans rushed for 268 yards on 44 carries for an average of 6.1. Highlands was held to 138 rushing yards on 3.1 per carry.
Collins was 6-for-6 on red-zone scoring chances, and called for just two penalties. Highlands, 4-for-6 in the red zone, totaled eight penalties for 73 yards, punted once and did not sack Titans quarterback Lawson Page after the Bluebirds' Seth Hope sacked Page five times in last season's final. Joey Cochran led Highlands with 11 tackles, all solo stops, with two for loss. Bluebirds quarterback Drew Houliston was sacked four times, all in the first half.
NO PASSING FANCY: Highlands finished with a school single-season record 62 touchdown passes, third-most in Kentucky history, with two more Saturday from Houliston, who became the 11th player in state history to throw 50 touchdowns in a season.

The senior finished his lone starting year with 4,027 passing yards, 50 touchdowns and just two interceptions. He completed 70 percent. He's the ninth QB in state history to throw for at least 4,000 yards in a season.
MAKING THEIR POINTS: The Bluebirds averaged more than 50 points per game for the third year in a row and for the fourth time in program history, with an average of 50.6.
ATTENDANCE: A crowd of 2,997 attended the closest Class 4A final since the KHSAA expanded the number of playing divisions to six.

Collins 7 3 13 14 37
Highlands 7 0 7 20 34

C-Watkins 1 run (Creque kick)
H-Harris 2 run (Dougherty kick)
C-Creque 27 FG
H-Harris 6 run (Dougherty kick)
C-Farris 4 run (Creque kick)
C-Sames 10 pass from Page (Creque kick)
H-Allen 34 pass from Houliston (Dougherty kick) C-Farris 1 run (Creque kick) H-Veneman 42 pass from Houliston (Dougherty kick) H-Harris 1 run (Dougherty kick) C-Sames 12 pass from Becherer (Creque kick)
Records: H 13-2, C 13-2.
I know, I know....

Bob Seger is an ass!!!

Un malin, Blau Vogel!!
sstack Wrote:Really, come on, everybody in the state had highlands picked to win this game not just highlands fans. Stop making it sound like it was just "arrogant" Highlands fans. Collins came out and played a great game, showed they improved from last year, pulled off one of biggest upsets in ky history and won the game. Congrads, enjoy the win and now learn to win with class. You know you are the king of the state when other teams/fans not involved in the game throw a party (like bob seger who has to celebrate through collins since his team can't beat them). The winning record HHS has and the game against collins last year is the reason ALL football fans around ky had HHS winning this
game. Maybe the fans have become "spoiled" like you said but who wouldn't with the string of success they have had. the players worked their butts off to
accomplish that string just like collins did this past offseason to accomplish this years championship.

Uh, funny that you should bring me up here sleestack. Seger has no dog in any of these games..Told you that time and time again....Really it's those HHS fans that display this arrogant, we are better than you routine week after week after week, that gets under most peoples skin..That "If you people would for once do it our way" crap gets real old...You will occasionally throw out a compliment towards someone else, but for what I mentioned, you appear to be president of that mighty arrogant society, and the epitome of what everyone else despises about FTH fans when it comes to that danged Yankee know it all mentality.......What I really cant wait for now is for ole Chuck to get on here with the big morality speech... :popcorn:
SK beat Collins Highlands couldn't! Overated cake eaters! Must ssuck to live in loserville Fort Thomas! Great job Collins!
Blau Vogel Wrote:BOWLING GREEN — Many of Highlands' players were inconsolable after the Bluebirds lost 37-34 to Collins in Saturday's Class 4A state championship game at Western Kentucky University.

Several were in tears. But coach Dale Mueller reminded his players of their accomplishments, most notably three state titles that stretched Highlands' streak to a state-record six, and told them to keep their heads held high.
"I just said to them in the locker room that people in their lives will be able to count on them," the coach said. "This isn't the worst thing that will happen to them in their lives. This is just a football game that they lost."
Not one Highlands player had experienced what they endured after the Bluebirds fell to Collins on the Titans' last play from scrimmage, a 12-yard touchdown pass from backup quarterback Browning Becherer, his lone snap of the game, to receiver Nathan Sames with seven seconds to play.
For the Titans, in their fourth year with a football program, it's their first state championship. Highlands has 22 state crowns to its credit. Bluebirds assistant coaches helped the dejected players sort out their emotions. Players' parents came onto the field to offer hugs. "This is awful," one player said to a parent.
It was Highlands' first postseason loss since dropping a 2006 second-round game to Covington Catholic. It was the Bluebirds' first loss to a Kentucky team since falling to Ryle during the 2010 regular season. Highlands had won its six previous state finals by an average score of 40-7.
STAT COUNT: Highlands and Collins combined for 938 total yards - 557 in the air and 381 on the ground - and 48 first downs. The Titans rushed for 268 yards on 44 carries for an average of 6.1. Highlands was held to 138 rushing yards on 3.1 per carry.
Collins was 6-for-6 on red-zone scoring chances, and called for just two penalties. Highlands, 4-for-6 in the red zone, totaled eight penalties for 73 yards, punted once and did not sack Titans quarterback Lawson Page after the Bluebirds' Seth Hope sacked Page five times in last season's final. Joey Cochran led Highlands with 11 tackles, all solo stops, with two for loss. Bluebirds quarterback Drew Houliston was sacked four times, all in the first half.
NO PASSING FANCY: Highlands finished with a school single-season record 62 touchdown passes, third-most in Kentucky history, with two more Saturday from Houliston, who became the 11th player in state history to throw 50 touchdowns in a season.

The senior finished his lone starting year with 4,027 passing yards, 50 touchdowns and just two interceptions. He completed 70 percent. He's the ninth QB in state history to throw for at least 4,000 yards in a season.
MAKING THEIR POINTS: The Bluebirds averaged more than 50 points per game for the third year in a row and for the fourth time in program history, with an average of 50.6.
ATTENDANCE: A crowd of 2,997 attended the closest Class 4A final since the KHSAA expanded the number of playing divisions to six.

Collins 7 3 13 14 37
Highlands 7 0 7 20 34

C-Watkins 1 run (Creque kick)
H-Harris 2 run (Dougherty kick)
C-Creque 27 FG
H-Harris 6 run (Dougherty kick)
C-Farris 4 run (Creque kick)
C-Sames 10 pass from Page (Creque kick)
H-Allen 34 pass from Houliston (Dougherty kick) C-Farris 1 run (Creque kick) H-Veneman 42 pass from Houliston (Dougherty kick) H-Harris 1 run (Dougherty kick) C-Sames 12 pass from Becherer (Creque kick)
Records: H 13-2, C 13-2.

Are you not the clever one Blue Boy.:Thumbs:

10 bucks to a donut that you would have never made the first post if I hadn't put out an APB on your where abouts....Really it's a compliment that I can bring out your best "attempt". :Clap:

Now what is ole Chuck gonna think about your classless profane behavior, (him being the moral police for message board poster behavior and all) when he finds out that this actually came from the fingertips of one of his most trusted cohorts? ....Shameful, Blue Boy, shameful....lol
Are you not the clever one Blue Boy

So do you speak French, or was this just a coincidence??
Granny Bear Wrote:Are you not the clever one Blue Boy

So do you speak French, or was this just a coincidence??

Deduction derived from "Schoolin" from associate Appalachian mentors Granny. We a team that sticks together down here too. :biggrin:
That was a fantastic game. I don't know if I've offered Congrats yet, but to make sure I have,

Congratulations, Collins!
[SIZE=5]2013 KHSAA Class 4A STATE CHAMPIONS

[/SIZE]
  •  Previous
  • 5(current)
  • Next