Poll: Who wins the title
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
BELFRY
55.74%
Wayne County
44.26%
* You voted for this item.

•  Previous
  • 9(current)
  • Next 
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Belfry Pirates Vs Wayne Co. (3A State Championship 12/6/13)
bucslover68 Wrote:Naww not really, but great game analysis Lilly.

Agreed....very well thought out.
One thing I don't understand is why a lot of people really dislike BELFRY. Is it jealousy or what. If your going by how some of us act on here or by what we say don't take it too seriously. I mean, I don't think none of us have really said we were gonna blow out Wayne. From what I have read most of us have given an honest opinion and have given Wayne the respect they deserve for getting to the title game. I just don't get it. Is it because your team is playing basketball this time of year and were still playing football.
Not what I'm saying. That argument is already on another thread.

I'm just saying suddenly these teams have turned into terrible offensive teams just because wayne beat them. Maybe cards played well defensively in both games.
Lilly Wrote:Belfry fans are the worst, even worse than Highlands fans.

Sounds like your just jealous of success....Sorry your team doesn't have our history of it....lol.....
😂
Iam4thecats Wrote:Just like in last years final where you HAD to complete a pass and you ran play action on long yardage which nobody will ever fall for and didn't come close to completing the 1 man route. That fine passing game. Cost you a ring. I'm rooting for Wayne now because of you fans.

Last year.
I do agree with you there, but the pass (in overtime) was there. That's okay though... we'll see how things play out Friday. I'm not going to argue with a genius like yourself anymore, I have no real football knowledge or experience being around the game anyways.
Lilly Wrote:Belfry fans are the worst, even worse than Highlands fans.

:dudecomeon: Highlands has won 22 titles to 2 for Belfry. I'm no math wizard, but even I can tell that this makes us over ELEVEN TIMES worse than Belfry. Credit where credit is due, please.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
The Cannon Still Roars.....
Im Looking for Belfry to win by 2 Td. I think them boys will be ready to go and they remember how close they were the last couple of years. Im from Breathitt and they got my respect. Can't say nothing bad whenever they make to state every year. Whenever they beat us out last year the players were very nice and the fans... well they were great fans. One of the best fan bases I have seen. In 2011, when they came to Breathitt, they had just as many fans there as Breathitt had. Even tho y'all broke my heart and beat us.. Ill be rooting for yall Friday. Bring the title back to the Mountains..
Can you dig it? Wrote::dudecomeon: Highlands has won 22 titles to 2 for Belfry. I'm no math wizard, but even I can tell that this makes us over ELEVEN TIMES worse than Belfry. Credit where credit is due, please.

LOL true!!
Can you dig it? Wrote::dudecomeon: Highlands has won 22 titles to 2 for Belfry. I'm no math wizard, but even I can tell that this makes us over ELEVEN TIMES worse than Belfry. Credit where credit is due, please.

Hahahaha I love that
Can't wait to watch this game! I think it will be the best game of the week. I have struggled to pick a winner in this one. But after looking at each team I think I have found the difference maker. First offense for both teams are great. Belfry runs the ball and scores 39.6 a game. Wayne pass for most part and scores 41.8 a game. So I see offense as a tie. Now defense belfry gives up 18.1 a game and wayne county only gives up 11.6 a game. Belfry d allows 81 yards through the air a game. Wayne only gives up 62 yards passing a game. Belfry d gives up 171 yards rushing a game while wayne gives up only 84 yards a game. I see wayne county having the better defense. Skill positions at QB it's no contest Tyler Guffey hands down over 3000 yards,32 td's and only 5 ints. What's get me most belfry fans I talk to say he is not accurate well I got bad news for them 57.77 is pretty accurate to me. RB goes to belfry,Justin Johnson,Austin Hatfield. WR hands down wayne aginain Jason Perkins Rec-55 1254 yards 14 td's Logan Gardner rec-46 770 yards 6 td's. Alan Brown rec-32 718 yards and 9 td's So belfry can't just key on one guy in the passing game. Guffey has many targets to throw to and like bc county they don't drop pass's. Coaching goes to belfry. I have all the respect in the world for what coach Haywood has done at belfry. So my prediction. Wayne 35 belfry 28. I think wayne Will shut down belfry's run game. And guffey will destroy belfry's secondary. They only chance belfry has is to have long drives eat up the clock and keep wayne county offense on the sidelines. But that want happen. Wayne county don't make mistakes and they play smart. Belfry has been making a lot of mistakes. Belfry will have to play there best game they have played all year to win this game. Can't wait to watch the game on Friday!
TheTruthwillset Wrote:Can't wait to watch this game! I think it will be the best game of the week. I have struggled to pick a winner in this one. But after looking at each team I think I have found the difference maker. First offense for both teams are great. Belfry runs the ball and scores 39.6 a game. Wayne pass for most part and scores 41.8 a game. So I see offense as a tie. Now defense belfry gives up 18.1 a game and wayne county only gives up 11.6 a game. Belfry d allows 81 yards through the air a game. Wayne only gives up 62 yards passing a game. Belfry d gives up 171 yards rushing a game while wayne gives up only 84 yards a game. I see wayne county having the better defense. Skill positions at QB it's no contest Tyler Guffey hands down over 3000 yards,32 td's and only 5 ints. What's get me most belfry fans I talk to say he is not accurate well I got bad news for them 57.77 is pretty accurate to me. RB goes to belfry,Justin Johnson,Austin Hatfield. WR hands down wayne aginain Jason Perkins Rec-55 1254 yards 14 td's Logan Gardner rec-46 770 yards 6 td's. Alan Brown rec-32 718 yards and 9 td's So belfry can't just key on one guy in the passing game. Guffey has many targets to throw to and like bc county they don't drop pass's. Coaching goes to belfry. I have all the respect in the world for what coach Haywood has done at belfry. So my prediction. Wayne 35 belfry 28. I think wayne Will shut down belfry's run game. And guffey will destroy belfry's secondary. They only chance belfry has is to have long drives eat up the clock and keep wayne county offense on the sidelines. But that want happen. Wayne county don't make mistakes and they play smart. Belfry has been making a lot of mistakes. Belfry will have to play there best game they have played all year to win this game. Can't wait to watch the game on Friday!

Pretty good analysis, but let me give you a stat that speaks to your phrase "the only chance Belfry has is to have long drives eat up the clock and keep Wayne County offense on the sidelines." During one 4-drive stretch in the middle to late in the game, Belfry ran 54 plays and ate 25 minutes of clock. Believe me Belfry's MO is just what you said. Sure,they will take a big play, but they love to punish you and make you get that feeling of "I know exactly what is coming at me and I can't do one daggone thing about it". They took Bourbon County's will away for 2/3 of the game and they will attempt to do that to Wayne. I believe Wayne is better than BC so it will be tougher for Belfry to do that IMO, but they will try and at some point Belfry is gonna wear Wayne down and prevail 28-20.
That is quite a profound statement bucslover68, and it's right on the money. I've said all year that Belfry has an intrinsic factor that just makes them Belfry. It's difficult to explain, but what you posted is true and is part of that factor.

My grand daughter attended the game between Belfry and Bourbon County. She was impressed with what she thought was a stronger and larger BoCo team. Bless her heart!! She just didn't know! Wink Belfry continued to run it straight down BoCo's throat and just kept pounding. It's a beautiful thing to watch.

Also, there are things that Belfry possesses that you can't list on a stat sheet..heart, determination, pride and heritage. And YES, in my humble opinion, those are details that make a difference in game play.

No doubt Wayne County is a wonderful team; otherwise, they wouldn't be in this game. But I see the Pirates taking this game and bringing the hardware back to Pond Creek Nation.

I'm praying for no more injuries, and safe travels for everyone.
skully03 Wrote:One thing I don't understand is why a lot of people really dislike BELFRY. Is it jealousy or what. If your going by how some of us act on here or by what we say don't take it too seriously. I mean, I don't think none of us have really said we were gonna blow out Wayne. From what I have read most of us have given an honest opinion and have given Wayne the respect they deserve for getting to the title game. I just don't get it. Is it because your team is playing basketball this time of year and were still playing football.

And you will NEVER understand it, so don't waste your time. Remember getting so mad at me during the week before our game that you recruited Pirate1991#8?? LOL

Folks love their kids and support their team passionately. Tempers flare and words fly, but in the end, the game is what normally solves the issue.

So keep on supporting your respective teams. Don't pay attention to whiners!!
Haywood is a great coach but you might want to check Shawn Thompson out too. I would love to have either coach my team Smile
[quote=skully03] Is it jealousy? [QUOTE]

BINGO!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Current weather forecast is for freezing rain/snow, high of 35, 11 mph wind and 70% chance of precip.

How will that affect each team's offense? Does it bother one team more than the other because of style of play?
pjdoug Wrote:Haywood is a great coach but you might want to check Shawn Thompson out too. I would love to have either coach my team Smile

Thompson's got 20 years of work to do before we start talking about him with Coach Haywood! Lol, only joking of course. I wouldn't mind having them both.
Buc-a-roo Wrote:Current weather forecast is for freezing rain/snow, high of 35, 11 mph wind and 70% chance of precip.

How will that affect each team's offense? Does it bother one team more than the other because of style of play?

I think it has little affect on Belfry. They played in a downpour in the regionals and had one of the best games of their season. They are also accustomed to playing deep into the winter every year.

It could affect Wayne's passing game, then again it may have 0 impact.
Buc-a-roo Wrote:Current weather forecast is for freezing rain/snow, high of 35, 11 mph wind and 70% chance of precip.

Yes, it will effect BOTH teams. It may bother one team more than the other, but the only way to know for sure is to play the game.

I say if its ice,they may change the day of the game, I can see playing in snow or rain but not ice..
cuppett777 Wrote:I say if its ice,they may change the day of the game, I can see playing in snow or rain but not ice..

I wish they would delay it by one day...I don't know if I will go or not. Icy roads and a 3 hour drive to Lexington sounds too dangerous Sad
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[quote=BelfryPride][quote=skully03] Is it jealousy?
Quote:
BINGO!

No one is ever jealous of the Bridesmaid only the Bride

That's a horrible forecast not only will this effect teams but fan turn out not what anyone want's for state tourney
I think Wayne's defense is being WAY overhyped. Yes they have been lights out the last few weeks.

Anyone who analyzes this teams defense has to see that that overall yearly stats/stats per game are skewed by games against Southwestern, South Laurel, McCreary Central, Rockcastle Co. and Larue? These teams had horrendous offenses and even worse defenses this year.

The best offenses faced by Wayne this year would likely have to be Williamsburg and Corbin. Williamsburg is a passing team and by all accounts Wayne appears to be a ball hawking team. Corbin was a one trick pony, with very little deception in their offense and still made themselves look good against Wayne in the first matchup. They didn't appear to make the adjustments for the second meeting and Wayne was ready for what they were bringing. Corbin only looked so good early this season because of a very mediocre schedule.

The "big" wins that have been touted this year Bell, Central, PT. Whether it wants to be admitted or not, all had less than stellar offenses.

Centrals offense has been way down this year. Scroggins had tried so many pieces to find the right mix, including moving one of his defensive studs to RB (who had never played the position before) and knew his offense was a weak spot. 48 of their 311 points on the season came from the defense.

Bell Co. was slightly above average this year. They averaged 22 points a game and barely beat a very over rated and over performing Corbin team. The drop off in competition level late in the season paired with the return of a key defensive coach helped salvage a defense that was starting to look pretty vulnerable early in the season.

Paducah Tilghman was probably the best, well rounded team Wayne faced this year. They were very balanced and liked to throw the ball. I can't say a ton about this game because all I have to go on is there was some kind of controversy surrounding PT and not having a key player and that they crumbled under the weight of their mistakes.

The point of all of this is to debunk the myth that Wayne is some defensive juggernaut. They are not. They do have a group of ball hawks with Alan Brown and Jason Perkins with 7 ints each accounting for 2/3 of their 21 Ints. The int's will be useless against Belfry because you won't likely get one.

Belfry fans will tell you straight up two things. Early in the year our young defense was a very scary thing for us. We watched as the pieces were adjusted to get us were we are now. Our secondary has looked suspect at times (CAK, PCC - 1st game, Bourbon) but has been just good enough. The second is that our offense has not put together an entire game all season long. They have just been good enough to overcome their mistakes. One example is finding themselves 1st and Goal from the 16 after being 1st and goal from the 1. Another is turnovers, both of BoCo's scoring drives came off Belfry turnovers.

We are by no means perfect, we know we could lose this game by 1 point or 20. We also however are realistic about our opponent, Guffey could be Tebow 2.0 and carry his team to victory, Wayne could be the perfect storm and dominate on every aspect of the game, or they could be a product of their schedule that makes a really good team look like an amazing one.
AtlPirateFan Wrote:I think Wayne's defense is being WAY overhyped. Yes they have been lights out the last few weeks.

Anyone who analyzes this teams defense has to see that that overall yearly stats/stats per game are skewed by games against Southwestern, South Laurel, McCreary Central, Rockcastle Co. and Larue? These teams had horrendous offenses and even worse defenses this year.

The best offenses faced by Wayne this year would likely have to be Williamsburg and Corbin. Williamsburg is a passing team and by all accounts Wayne appears to be a ball hawking team. Corbin was a one trick pony, with very little deception in their offense and still made themselves look good against Wayne in the first matchup. They didn't appear to make the adjustments for the second meeting and Wayne was ready for what they were bringing. Corbin only looked so good early this season because of a very mediocre schedule.

The "big" wins that have been touted this year Bell, Central, PT. Whether it wants to be admitted or not, all had less than stellar offenses.

Centrals offense has been way down this year. Scroggins had tried so many pieces to find the right mix, including moving one of his defensive studs to RB (who had never played the position before) and knew his offense was a weak spot. 48 of their 311 points on the season came from the defense.

Bell Co. was slightly above average this year. They averaged 22 points a game and barely beat a very over rated and over performing Corbin team. The drop off in competition level late in the season paired with the return of a key defensive coach helped salvage a defense that was starting to look pretty vulnerable early in the season.

Paducah Tilghman was probably the best, well rounded team Wayne faced this year. They were very balanced and liked to throw the ball. I can't say a ton about this game because all I have to go on is there was some kind of controversy surrounding PT and not having a key player and that they crumbled under the weight of their mistakes.

The point of all of this is to debunk the myth that Wayne is some defensive juggernaut. They are not. They do have a group of ball hawks with Alan Brown and Jason Perkins with 7 ints each accounting for 2/3 of their 21 Ints. The int's will be useless against Belfry because you won't likely get one.

Belfry fans will tell you straight up two things. Early in the year our young defense was a very scary thing for us. We watched as the pieces were adjusted to get us were we are now. Our secondary has looked suspect at times (CAK, PCC - 1st game, Bourbon) but has been just good enough. The second is that our offense has not put together an entire game all season long. They have just been good enough to overcome their mistakes. One example is finding themselves 1st and Goal from the 16 after being 1st and goal from the 1. Another is turnovers, both of BoCo's scoring drives came off Belfry turnovers.

We are by no means perfect, we know we could lose this game by 1 point or 20. We also however are realistic about our opponent, Guffey could be Tebow 2.0 and carry his team to victory, Wayne could be the perfect storm and dominate on every aspect of the game, or they could be a product of their schedule that makes a really good team look like an amazing one.

So your telling me that Sheldon Clark, Jackson County, Southwestern (yes the same team Belfry played), Pike Central didnt affect Belfry's statistics this year either? If Pike Central played Bell or Corbin, I'm picking either to desmantle them. I dont really understand why everyone is looking to discredit Wayne. Who really cares who is better on either side of the ball? It's not going to matter Friday who they played or who's schedule is better its going to come down to the players on the field. Largely its going to come down to turnovers, injuries, penalties and field position. Why do you guys want to get on here and tear down what a bunch of kids accomplished? I don't see Wayne County's fans doing that to your team. I see from your explaination that every key win of Wayne's was a freak of nature. Corbin, Bell, Central and PT were all smoke and mirrors and we have no shot against Mighty Belfry. Maybe your right, maybe your not but I'm not going to get on here and analyze your games, pick all the things that I find to discredit your team and call them a myth. No sir, I have more respect for your team and any team for that matter. I understand that Belfry is the statis elite for football in this state but you need to remember that other teams work just as hard to be successful as you guys do, Don't rain on others parade's just to make yourself feel better about your team. Like I said who cares...make your prediction and go on. Don't try to discredit the success of someone else.
belfrypride Wrote:i wish they would delay it by one day...i don't know if i will go or not. Icy roads and a 3 hour drive to lexington sounds too dangerous Sad

As my grand daughter would say:

Y O L O
Granny Bear Wrote:As my grand daughter would say:

Y O L O

Ughh haha...I don't want to miss this at all. I just picture the worse case scenario...me and my red car in a ditch Sad
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
johnnyd Wrote:So your telling me that Sheldon Clark, Jackson County, Southwestern (yes the same team Belfry played), Pike Central didnt affect Belfry's statistics this year either? If Pike Central played Bell or Corbin, I'm picking either to desmantle them. I dont really understand why everyone is looking to discredit Wayne. Who really cares who is better on either side of the ball? It's not going to matter Friday who they played or who's schedule is better its going to come down to the players on the field. Largely its going to come down to turnovers, injuries, penalties and field position. Why do you guys want to get on here and tear down what a bunch of kids accomplished? I don't see Wayne County's fans doing that to your team. I see from your explaination that every key win of Wayne's was a freak of nature. Corbin, Bell, Central and PT were all smoke and mirrors and we have no shot against Mighty Belfry. Maybe your right, maybe your not but I'm not going to get on here and analyze your games, pick all the things that I find to discredit your team and call them a myth. No sir, I have more respect for your team and any team for that matter. I understand that Belfry is the statis elite for football in this state but you need to remember that other teams work just as hard to be successful as you guys do, Don't rain on others parade's just to make yourself feel better about your team. Like I said who cares...make your prediction and go on. Don't try to discredit the success of someone else.
You are being way too defensive to constructive criticism about Wayne's defense... for the record he does make a good point that neither PT, Bell, or Central would be considered any type of powerful offensive team by any stretch of the imagination. All three had well documented offensive struggles. He isn't trying to discredit Wayne or tear them down.. he is simply trying to create some banter based on his observations.

The rebuttal there is that what those teams lacked in offense they more than made up with their defense. Tilghman and Central were playing first rate defense down the stretch and I would even say they were both better teams by a significant clip than any school Belfry faced all season.. Bell wasn't a great defensive team..but they were still a solid defensive team on par with Harlan County... Wayne's offense lit up 2 of the three teams which speaks volume for their offensive firepower IMHO. It also speaks that unlike Belfry, Wayne has played some staunch defenses and prevailed while Belfry may actually be a bit un-tested and vulnerable.

People are simply trying to discuss the game and break it down.. because people have a different viewpoint and can do such is the sole purpose this site exists. If this were only "Good Game Wayne" "Good Luck Belfry" and My Prediction is Wayne 34 Belfry 20" then this site would be dead and noone would be here...it is the dialogue that keeps people actively involved.

Belfry fans have the utmost respect for Wayne County and have heaped praise their way not only these past couple days, but most of the season. I think there is a bit of a kindred mindset. I think Wayne has set the blueprint for how High School Athletic Director's should handle developing a program and being patient. I think it is an amazing story and until the highlights mysteriously vanished yesterday I had thoroughly enjoyed watching this team develop and analyzing all the things they do well.It is not often I can say that I see a team who is executing better from a fundemental standpoint then Belfry..but that is Wayne..they are truly the picture of consistency.
johnnyd Wrote:So your telling me that Sheldon Clark, Jackson County, Southwestern (yes the same team Belfry played), Pike Central didnt affect Belfry's statistics this year either? If Pike Central played Bell or Corbin, I'm picking either to desmantle them. I dont really understand why everyone is looking to discredit Wayne. Who really cares who is better on either side of the ball? It's not going to matter Friday who they played or who's schedule is better its going to come down to the players on the field. Largely its going to come down to turnovers, injuries, penalties and field position. Why do you guys want to get on here and tear down what a bunch of kids accomplished? I don't see Wayne County's fans doing that to your team. I see from your explaination that every key win of Wayne's was a freak of nature. Corbin, Bell, Central and PT were all smoke and mirrors and we have no shot against Mighty Belfry. Maybe your right, maybe your not but I'm not going to get on here and analyze your games, pick all the things that I find to discredit your team and call them a myth. No sir, I have more respect for your team and any team for that matter. I understand that Belfry is the statis elite for football in this state but you need to remember that other teams work just as hard to be successful as you guys do, Don't rain on others parade's just to make yourself feel better about your team. Like I said who cares...make your prediction and go on. Don't try to discredit the success of someone else.

By no means was I discrediting Wayne, only making the statement that an analysis of a football team who's defense has been hyped for most of the latter part of the season. If you see what I said as saying Wayne's wins were flukes then you truly struggle to understand the analysis. Only stating something that should be obvious in that Wayne dominated several lesser teams, as they should have. And beat traditionally good teams who were not on their usual level. Belfry on the other hand has played a schedule that looked grueling to begin the year. While winning they struggled at times with many aspects and the schedule that once looked so daunting turned out to be slightly above their average schedules.

I'm not raining on your parade or eating your cookie. I am analyzing a football game from the perspective of a fan for one team, so yes it may be a bit biased. Wayne won the games put in front of them with ease the analysis stemmed from the fact someone used per game stats to declare Wayne would win. The analysis was to show that weak competition skews those numbers.

Belfry's fans have analyzed our games and our weaknesses all year long. We are not trying to hide anything from anyone. Since you brought it up however, Sheldon Clark is terrible no doubt the worst we faced all year, we played a terrible game against Soutwestern the second worst team we faced all year. Jackson Co put more points on the board than Wayne's worst 5 opponents and were the 3rd worst team we faced this season.

I could analyze every bit of Belfry's schedule and would be far more critical of it that I was of Wayne's, but I have seen that analysis.
EKUAlum05 Wrote:You are being way too defensive to constructive criticism about Wayne's defense... for the record he does make a good point that neither PT, Bell, or Central would be considered any type of powerful offensive team by any stretch of the imagination. All three had well documented offensive struggles. He isn't trying to discredit Wayne or tear them down.. he is simply trying to create some banter based on his observations.

The rebuttal there is that what those teams lacked in offense they more than made up with their defense. Tilghman and Central were playing first rate defense down the stretch and I would even say they were both better teams by a significant clip than any school Belfry faced all season.. Bell wasn't a great defensive team..but they were still a solid defensive team on par with Harlan County... Wayne's offense lit up 2 of the three teams which speaks volume for their offensive firepower IMHO. It also speaks that unlike Belfry, Wayne has played some staunch defenses and prevailed while Belfry may actually be a bit un-tested and vulnerable.

People are simply trying to discuss the game and break it down.. because people have a different viewpoint and can do such is the sole purpose this site exists. If this were only "Good Game Wayne" "Good Luck Belfry" and My Prediction is Wayne 34 Belfry 20" then this site would be dead and noone would be here...it is the dialogue that keeps people actively involved.

I'm not being defensive of anything. I'm just saying people should remember that these are kids that work hard just like Belfry's and people need to remember that. Defense, offense whatever it maybe.
  •  Previous
  • 9(current)
  • Next