Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Belfry 21 - Bourbon Co 13
First off, congrats to Belfry. Even with all of the youth, you all are tough but I am damn proud of my colonels tonight. They fought and in the first half, I thought the bourbon defense was outstanding. Missed tackles were few, still not sure on why bourbon tried to run it up the middle all game. I do feel Belfry dodged 2 bullets tonight, the first one was in the second quarter with the overthrown ball to Snoop, should have made it 12-0 pending the xp. I wonder what this game would have been like if that happened, nobody knows, and then the drop by Snoop in the 3rd quarter I believe. The shots were there, the score could have been 28-21 in favor of Bourbon, but when it came down to it, Belfry made the plays they needed to and Bourbon didn't.

With that being said, I do think Belfry is the better team but Bourbon proved they were no slouch, the kids played hard and I felt they showed they belonged. I was also glad to see the respect between the players at the end of the game given how the pregame thread went at times. I spoke to some Belfry fans afterwards and they seemed to agree that Bourbon was the real deal. Good luck against Wayne next week, I'll be cheering for ya.
I did read Belfry couldn't handle the speed that BoCo had.. But I mean really.. They were decently speedy, but come on, they weren't nothing like what Belfry has seen with Louisville Central past few year..
Weak schedule burns them again.

Should have won by 3 touchdowns
HSFOOTBALL Wrote:On a different note, Prayers for Brent Holman as he did in fact break his leg in the fourth quarter tonight.

Definitely hate to hear that. Prayers from the Belfry faithful....:Sad04:
Bourbon had a very nice looking team. LOTS of quality athletes, but Belfry still was better where it usually matters, the LOS.

I saw the injury to Hollman. It happened right in front of me. Speedy recovery to that young man!
Couldn't agree more with this assessment.
HSFOOTBALL Wrote:As noted, I don't think Belfry handled Bourbon's speed as well as they did last year. If you were at the game, then you saw the misses and the long touchdown called back. And those statements you made are true statements, Bourbon was much better than last year, and they had demolished all of their competition.

I have wished your team good luck, show some class and move on to your Wayne County thread.

On a different note, Prayers for Brent Holman as he did in fact break his leg in the fourth quarter tonight.

I was at the game, looked like Belfry not wrapping up other than speed. You keep talking about Bourbons speed, they were decent but nothing to the degree you keep bringing up.
HSFOOTBALL Wrote:As noted, I don't think Belfry handled Bourbon's speed as well as they did last year. If you were at the game, then you saw the misses and the long touchdown called back. And those statements you made are true statements, Bourbon was much better than last year, and they had demolished all of their competition.

I have wished your team good luck, show some class and move on to your Wayne County thread.

On a different note, Prayers for Brent Holman as he did in fact break his leg in the fourth quarter tonight.

Just to be accurate. The play called back was not a TD. He was tackled at the 25
Guys the weak schedule didn't cause them to drop the ball and make stupid personal foul penalties. I guess I'm having a hard time figuring out the weak schedule comments at this point. It makes no sense.
GREAT atmosphere in Paris tonight! That place was standing room only for sure. I sat in the visitors side with black clothes on. Lol. There were no seats to be had on belfry side when I arrived at 6:55
bocofan05 Wrote:First off, congrats to Belfry. Even with all of the youth, you all are tough but I am damn proud of my colonels tonight. They fought and in the first half, I thought the bourbon defense was outstanding. Missed tackles were few, still not sure on why bourbon tried to run it up the middle all game. I do feel Belfry dodged 2 bullets tonight, the first one was in the second quarter with the overthrown ball to Snoop, should have made it 12-0 pending the xp. I wonder what this game would have been like if that happened, nobody knows, and then the drop by Snoop in the 3rd quarter I believe. The shots were there, the score could have been 28-21 in favor of Bourbon, but when it came down to it, Belfry made the plays they needed to and Bourbon didn't.

With that being said, I do think Belfry is the better team but Bourbon proved they were no slouch, the kids played hard and I felt they showed they belonged. I was also glad to see the respect between the players at the end of the game given how the pregame thread went at times. I spoke to some Belfry fans afterwards and they seemed to agree that Bourbon was the real deal. Good luck against Wayne next week, I'll be cheering for ya.

I know you!!!!
Congrats to Belfry. Congrats to Bourbon on a great season. I hope Brent Holman has a speedy recovery.
Doodie Wrote:Guys the weak schedule didn't cause them to drop the ball and make stupid personal foul penalties. I guess I'm having a hard time figuring out the weak schedule comments at this point. It makes no sense.

The issue I saw was that Bourbon was constantly looking for the home run. The schedule comes into play when it didn't allow Bourbon to be in this type of game all year. They kept going after the big play instead of trying to grind it out and try and control the game.
Hope the Pirates bring home another title. Just a thought, if Belfry wins this one does Haywood retire and go out on top? Or does he come back to win another one?
Doodie Wrote:Guys the weak schedule didn't cause them to drop the ball and make stupid personal foul penalties. I guess I'm having a hard time figuring out the weak schedule comments at this point. It makes no sense.

Adversity my friend. When did they face any adversity before tonight? They didn't because of the weaker opponents they faced all season. When faced with said adversity tonight, Bourbon did not handle it well. We can play the "what if's" from now till forever. WHAT IF Belfry didn't put the ball on the ground 4 times. WHAT IF Belfry didn't rack up over 65 yards in penalties? The outcome could have been a lot worse than what the scoreboard shows. At the end of the night we can agree that Bourbon is a quality team with some good athletes. They just ran into a better team. Hats off to the Colonels on a good season.
AtlPirateFan Wrote:Just to be accurate. The play called back was not a TD. He was tackled at the 25

You are correct, just saw that!
PantherTradition Wrote:Hope the Pirates bring home another title. Just a thought, if Belfry wins this one does Haywood retire and go out on top? Or does he come back to win another one?

I can't see Haywood retiring with all of the talent he has coming up. Just my .02
Football is won in the trenches...

Bourbon Co is like Oregon, Belfry is like Stanford. It's just not a good matchup for Bourbon... Belfry deserved to win. Bourbon had chances in the first half on two big plays, didn't convert, and Belfry took advantage.

The unsportsmanlike penalty before halftime was a killer for Bourbon. Bad time management by Bourbon calling a timeout immediately after a Belfry first down run with 2 minutes left in the half was silly too. Belfry scored before half, and took the first possession of the second half and scored. Momentum killer.

Any Bourbon fan that says Belfry didn't earn the win is moronic. Any Belfry fan that doesn't respect Bourbon, is moronic. It was a good game between two good teams.

Bourbon didn't have a close game all year and it showed. They got behind and weren't the same team.

Congrats to Belfry. Me and Kelly will go hug and stuff and maybe I will type some good rhymes here next year!
Great game by both sides. Belfry just proved to be the better team. Bring that gold back to the mountains Pirates. Go Big Red!

Great season to BC. Nothing to hang your heads about. To the quarterback #15 son ur a great ball player. I had a talk with him after the game and reminded him how impressive of a player he was. Even in defeat he was grateful and held his head high. He even wished Belfry the best of luck in the state championship. He's definitely a champion in my book.

Go Big Red!
My leftover turkey was great. How did you guys like your crow.
Congrats Pirates and good luck next weekend. I'm rooting for you all to bring the hardware back to EKY.

Congrats Bourbon County on back to back pheonominal seasons.
So much fun reading this thread!!! BoCoFan05, I would seriously doubt that anybody on Belfry's side would call your team a slouch!! Most of them that I heard, knew their football and anybody who knows football knows that Bourbon County is a great team!

It brings back some hurtful memories for me to see two teams fight so hard and never give up, but unfortunately there must be a loser. Tonight that was BoCo.

Belfry kept me frustrated the entire first half! Second half was an entirely different story. Great great game!! I kept being impressed by some of the plays the Pirates threw down..wow. Special shout out to #53...damn!!! All the kids played hard, tough football. This kid was the most consistent I saw all night.

So I met a bunch of my Belfry buds tonight and had such a wonderful time!! Thank you Mr and Mrs Skully!!! Love you guys!!!
yrfleb1# Wrote:My leftover turkey was great. How did you guys like your crow.

At least one of them refuses to eat his. He's still in denial.
First off I must say that this was the worst zebra crew I had ever seen...two the clock keeper sucks...and three BC is much improved from last year and IMO the weak schedule did come into play because the BC players was winded in the 2nd half....not use to playing that late...Our boys played great and fought hard...I hope #3 recovers well....I hope you guys come back to belfry next year...
Granny Bear Wrote:So much fun reading this thread!!! BoCoFan05, I would seriously doubt that anybody on Belfry's side would call your team a slouch!! Most of them that I heard, knew their football and anybody who knows football knows that Bourbon County is a great team!

It brings back some hurtful memories for me to see two teams fight so hard and never give up, but unfortunately there must be a loser. Tonight that was BoCo.

Belfry kept me frustrated the entire first half! Second half was an entirely different story. Great great game!! I kept being impressed by some of the plays the Pirates threw down..wow. Special shout out to #53...damn!!! All the kids played hard, tough football. This kid was the most consistent I saw all night.

So I met a bunch of my Belfry buds tonight and had such a wonderful time!! Thank you Mr and Mrs Skully!!! Love you guys!!!

Granny is a serious fan of the game of High School Football. Make that MOUNTAIN High School Football.
You BETTER have made that correction!!!

Wink
Granny Bear Wrote:So much fun reading this thread!!! BoCoFan05, I would seriously doubt that anybody on Belfry's side would call your team a slouch!! Most of them that I heard, knew their football and anybody who knows football knows that Bourbon County is a great team!

I agree, the refs in this game were...well I'll just leave that one alone. These young men on both sides gave it everything they had, I must ask since he was mentioned in the other thread, thoughts on #33 Dakota Mitchell? That young man has been an absolute pleasure to watch over the last few years. I do agree that the schedule did hurt Bourbon in the 4th quarter but they never stopped playing. Hats off to Belfry for doing what needed to be done, just wasn't Bourbons night, that's how this game goes.
My prayers are with Brent Hollman and his family tonight! We've had way to many injuries this football season! Hope we've seen the last of them.
Serious question for Belfry fans, do you guys get many false starts. It looks to me like the qb gives a two cadence count.and the oline usually goes on the first cadence. Like a quick setgo and the line goes on set. I noticed it about every play, there may be like .1 seconds difference. The zebras called it a few times, but let it fo the rest. So I'm not sure if its something done inentionally or just happens?
HSFOOTBALL Wrote:That's even classier, and for what its worth this wasn't the best Bourbon team ever.

1997 is the best team ever at Bourbon Co., won the state title before Belfry did in 2003, know your history. Like Belfry, they beat Owensboro Catholic 39-28.