Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
State championship venue
Stop complaining about the drives and the location and just be happy you have a reason to go to the State Championship Game in your class! There are at least 30 other teams in your class that would crawl there just to get a chance to play and their fanbase would gladly make the drive, if you don't want to. Last year when Caldwell County got to play in the state semis and state championship, several thousand of the Tiger faithful would have driven to Pikeville to root for our team. The trip home from BG last year was not the best one, since we did not win, but I was grateful to have a good time , watch a GREAT game, get a good meal afterward with tons of Tiger fans, and make some new friends from NCC. Good people.
Frozenbird Wrote:Correct, it is the geographic center of the state of Kentucky, hence the name "Centre". There is a marker on the middle of campus. The stadium, while nice, is nowhere near big enough to handle the games. At least it was not when I went back for homecoming a few years ago.

Actually, there is a marker in front of the Campbellsville University Library that says THAT is the geographic center of the state of Kentucky. Maybe that is where the games should be played.
64black&gold Wrote:Not near enough parking !!!

Split it up!
Louisville is the flagship city in this state. It offers the best facilities and accommodations for schools and fans.
mysonis55 Wrote:Once again I would like for anyone to explain how eku is any more central than wku. Hence the names both start with either eastern or western for a reason. I explain already it is every bit of a 5 hour drive at lite speed from Mayfield. You can add another 45 minutes from Fulton Co. Louisville was central but they don't want it.
While not the exact geographical center of Kentucky, Madison County/Richmond is close. When you figure in the fact that they have a facility capable of hosting multiple games on turf over 2 days, lodging, and a stadium that is just big enough not to dwarf crowds, but rather make the place seem packed, I guarantee you they are the best option when compared to someplace like Commonwealth or Papa Johns. Call me crazy, but I don't like going to games where it seems like the crowd doesn't even take up a fourth of the stadium/seating. Makes it feel somehow, a little less. I like it packed. Lets also face facts that Louisville is sometimes a horrible city to get around in (driving wise), I've lived there before, and that is undeniable. It is also more expensive generally, in terms of lodging. Like I've said before, with the location of the school, all the other factors, AND the fact that it is within a 3 hour drive of the MAJORITY of the state population, it is really the best option. No option is perfect. Someone is always going to have to travel, that is just a given. No disrespect at all intended for Western, just looking at this rationally. I feel for ya, Myson, for the almost 5 hour drive. But when you look at the map, cutting across on the BG Parkway from Elizabethtown, it is not really that much further than cutting up to Louisville from the same spot. A little, yes, but not a huge difference. It is a total 297 mile dry e from Mayfield to Richmond, and 227 from Mayfield to Louisville.
Lebanon in Marion County is the geographic center of KY (for whatever that's worth).
play it at Kentucky Speedway lol

Commonwealth is a grass surface, and Lexington doesn't have another venue so that won't happen
Louisville is too expensive, that's what I've heard so they'll be hesitant to go back to Louisville
I've heard EKU is thinking about updating, maybe even expanding their stadium, but lodging is still an issue
NKY doesn't have a venue to offer so no
Murray State is too far away for the mountains and NKY and Lexington so no
Morehead State is too far away from WKY so no

When it's all said an done, WKU has the stadium, parking, Bowling Green has the lodging and corporate money to make it work so keep it there.
I agree.
toussaints Wrote:play it at Kentucky Speedway lol

Commonwealth is a grass surface, and Lexington doesn't have another venue so that won't happen
Louisville is too expensive, that's what I've heard so they'll be hesitant to go back to Louisville
I've heard EKU is thinking about updating, maybe even expanding their stadium, but lodging is still an issue
NKY doesn't have a venue to offer so no
Murray State is too far away for the mountains and NKY and Lexington so no
Morehead State is too far away from WKY so no

When it's all said an done, WKU has the stadium, parking, Bowling Green has the lodging and corporate money to make it work so keep it there.

EKU for lodging? There are plenty in Madison County and in Fayette Co to accomodate all travelers and only 30 mins from Lexington. Some mountain or central teams/ fans might not even want to stay overnight.
FBfan4life Wrote:EKU for lodging? There are plenty in Madison County and in Fayette Co to accomodate all travelers and only 30 mins from Lexington. Some mountain or central teams/ fans might not even want to stay overnight.
Agreed. I think there are right around 1000 rooms in Richmond. Not bad for a town of 20k people. And with Lexington being so close, plenty of options available for those who want to stay overnight. But as I said in my earlier post, the central location would probably increase the number of day trippers who come just for the game and drive back same day. So attendance would POTENTIALLY actually increase.
PHSForever Wrote:Agreed. I think there are right around 1000 rooms in Richmond. Not bad for a town of 20k people. And with Lexington being so close, plenty of options available for those who want to stay overnight. But as I said in my earlier post, the central location would probably increase the number of day trippers who come just for the game and drive back same day. So attendance would POTENTIALLY actually increase.

You go boy! Well said:1:
Commonwealth or Louisville would be the best two options for hosting a State Championship game. Both are great locations that are in the heart of the state. Honestly, i wouldnt mind seeing the venues alternated from year to year.
I would love to see them take some of these venues and have semi-state at them. I think that would be pretty cool and kind of a pre-cursor to getting your team in travel mode for Bowling Green
Its staying in BG for now and I am making the most of it. I have traveled to the other bad ends of the state for years starting back in 1976 with my parents to title games. Now let the others continue to make the long halls

A kidding aside, I don't see it moving from BG anytime soon. The stadium is the perdect size, the hotel rooms are right there and not up the road 30 miles in Lexington and most importly they have the Corp side on their side and Louisville doesn't want it. If it has to move though I would rather play at Papa than Hanger Field, the one sidedness of Hanger is just not the same nor are the suites like at Papa and Western
MayfieldCardinal Wrote:Its staying in BG for now and I am making the most of it. I have traveled to the other bad ends of the state for years starting back in 1976 with my parents to title games. Now let the others continue to make the long halls

A kidding aside, I don't see it moving from BG anytime soon. The stadium is the perdect size, the hotel rooms are right there and not up the road 30 miles in Lexington and most importly they have the Corp side on their side and Louisville doesn't want it. If it has to move though I would rather play at Papa than Hanger Field, the one sidedness of Hanger is just not the same nor are the suites like at Papa and Western
In all fairness, go back and look at pictures, videos, etc of all the state championships. A tiny little blemish of a crowd versus the hugeness of the stadiums (in most games) makes it almost embarrassing. With Hangar being smaller and concentrated on one side, you would have crowds more together, increasing sound, etc. Plus the concessions are closer, and not enough people use the boxes for it to be a huge deal. I understand the sponsors, etc wanting boxes, but with the right planning, it can all be worked around. You've got The Moberly building immediately adjacent to the stadium, etc. Again, NOT a knock on Westerns campus since I've been there, it is a nice place, but I feel like it is far less central than Ricmond and has enough amenities to make it work. Richmond is the faster growing area of the state, and I think the growth there will continue to lend itself to having more rooms and the like. I think the sponsorships could also fairly easily be picked up as well.
Tommy2tone Wrote:Well as long as Rawlings is writing the check, it will be held in BG. Only other place in the state that could host it is the Pizza Bowl.

It does help that Rawlings is owned by Fruit of the Loom, which happens to have it's headquarters in Bowling Green. Our whole city is happy to have the championships here and many, many volunteers help to keep the costs down. It's still early in our stewardship. We are learning every year and trying to make the experience for these players and fans one they will remember for ever. We can't do anything about the drive, but we can offer you a great venue and folks that are glad to see you. I attended WKU 30 years ago and was so impressed by the city and the people that I never left. Come on over.
Harlan Native Wrote:Commonwealth or Louisville would be the best two options for hosting a State Championship game. Both are great locations that are in the heart of the state. Honestly, i wouldnt mind seeing the venues alternated from year to year.

Not Commonwealth bro. It's natural turf. It will be tore up after 2 games, especially if it's a rainy or damp day. No way it can hold up 6 classes for a championship game.
If you really want the state championship games in the center of Kentucky the games will be played at Marion County High School. The geographic center of Kentucky, according to old Kentucky Transportation Cabinet road maps, is in Marion county about three miles northwest of Lebanon on KY 429.

Campbellsville in Taylor county also claims to be the geographic center of the state and there is a marker on the campus of Campbellsville University.

Others place the center southwest of Lebanon Junction in Bullitt County.
Lebanon is also the geographical center of the USA. However, it's a different Lebanon. It's Lebanon, Kansas.
does EKU's visitors stands have concession stands and restrooms?
toussaints Wrote:does EKU's visitors stands have concession stands and restrooms?
Concessions are always set up there, but restrooms are on the main stadium
DreamKiller Wrote:Actually, there is a marker in front of the Campbellsville University Library that says THAT is the geographic center of the state of Kentucky. Maybe that is where the games should be played.

Pretty funny. In addition to Centre and Campbellsville University claiming the geographic center of Kentucky, the Kentucky Department of Transportation puts it Marion County 3 miles northwest of Lebanon.

http://www.kyatlas.com/ky-geographic-center.html

Oops! Missed Rojas post sorry for the duplication.
Assuming the Kentucky transportation cabinet is correct I'm going to use Lebanon as the center of Kentucky.

A quick use of Google maps reveals the following:

Lebanon to Richmond is 62 miles
Lebanon to Bowling Green is 99 miles.

So this whole centralized argument is over a total of 37 miles. If one facility wants the Championships, is the nicer facility, has the most corporate sponsorship, more hotel rooms, in the 3rd largest city in the state, and has had overall positive reviews is it really worth arguing over 37 miles?