•  Previous
  • 2(current)
  • Next 
  Thread Closed
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Covington Catholic 42 Johnson Central 14 final
Seems quite on here tonight
The JC starting QB played a really good game, he had a nice run in the 1st half and threw some really nice passes,(2 Dropped TD passes). Before the game I talked with a CC stat guy and we both agreed that the rain was in JC's favor but the game didn't play out that way. #1 ( Who had caught everything threw his way his whole career at JC)dropped 3 passes tonight. For the first time all season the JC kicker didn't put a kickoff into the end zone. I think the rain was the reason. CC won the kicking game. Coach Matney has done so much for JC football I hate to criticize him but IMO the "Belly Read" system has ZERO chance of winning big games against Northern Kentucky teams.
Wow congrats colonels
Covington Catholic 42,
Johnson Central 14
Sophomore quarterback Ben Dressman threw for one touchdown and ran for two more, helping lead Covington Catholic to the playoff win.
Senior running back Luke Bir rushed for 200 yards and added two scores to help seal the win.
Johnson Central came into the game undefeated and averaging 56 points a game, but after jumping out to the early lead they were shut down by the Covington Catholic defense. After leading 21-14 at halftime, CovCath score 21 unanswered points to put the game away.
Covington Catholic will match up with Highlands next week.

CovCath 14 7 14 7 — 42
Johnson 8 6 0 0 — 14

J–Young 2 run (Belcher run)

C–Bir 70 run (Litzler kick)
C–M. Rensing 24 pass from Dressman (Litzler kick)
C–Dressman 24 run (Litzler kick)
J– Bailey 81 run (kick failed)
C–Dressman 56 run (Litzler kick)
C–Wagner int. return (Litzler kick)
C–Bir 9 run (Litzler kick)
Records: J 11-1, C 10-2
Congratulations, CovCath, and best of luck throughout the playoffs. Luke Bir and the Colonels ability to shut down Belcher last night were the difference. JC is a very young team and their inexperience and overall soft schedule showed last night. I hope that JC can find some better early season opponents next season to go with Harlan County and Belfry because it would be a shame if the talent next year's team will have returning sails into the playoffs unchallenged again.
Kyle Hobstetter
The Independent The Daily Independent Sat Nov 16, 2013, 06:31 AM EST

PAINTSVILLE — After a year of making play after play, the well ran dry for Johnson Central on Friday night.

The Golden Eagles were shut out in the second half and fell to Covington Catholic, 42-14, in the Class 4A region semifinals in Paintsville.

After opening the game with a 72-yard scoring drive, Johnson Central managed just one more touchdown the rest of the night.

The final tally of 14 was well below the 51 points per game the Golden Eagles were averaging heading into Friday.

“The main thing came down to normally we make big plays in games and we just didn’t make big plays tonight,” said Johnson Central coach Jim Matney. “We had chances to be in the game all night long, we just never capitalized. I thought our kids played hard, but they didn’t play well.”

After the opening drive, Covington Catholic responded with 21 straight points.

The catalyst came on the Colonels’ first play from scrimmage — a 69-yard run to the end zone by Luke Bir.

The senior had played sparingly this year after breaking his collarbone in the second game of the season.

He sat out last week’s game against Rowan County and to say he returned with vengeance would be an understatement.

“We’ve certainly missed him all year,” said Covington Catholic coach David Wirth. “We held him out last week for precautionary purposes. He’s a short squatty guy who is just fast as heck. And he took care of the ball for us tonight.”

The senior eclipsed the 100-yard rushing mark after just three carries and finished with 179 yards on 11 carries and two touchdowns.

Along with Bir, Covington Catholic had a huge game from sophomore quarterback Ben Dressman.

The sophomore finished with two rushing touchdowns (24- and 56-yard runs) and a 29-yard passing touchdown to receiver Mitchell Rensing. Dressman had a game-high 181 yards rushing and 49 yards passing.

After starting quarterback Austin Wagner went down earlier in the season, Dressman has had to step in and run the show.

“He’s done some unbelievable things back there,” Wirth said. “He’s a good athlete and a very good thrower. He’s very poised for a sophomore.”

There was plenty of time to be poised behind the Colonels’ offensive line.

Matney said Covington Catholic had its way with the Golden Eagles’ young D-line, which featured three sophomores and a freshman.

“Their offensive line was very good and our defensive line was very young,” Matney said. “We played like three sophomores and a freshman on the defensive line. You just don’t come into a game like this and be that young and not make any stops.”

But while Johnson Central struggled, it still had chances the entire game.

The biggest momentum-builder came before halftime with the Golden Eagles down 21-8.

With 1:15 left in the second quarter, sophomore backup quarterback Bryce Workman took a snap up the middle and bolted for an 84-yard touchdown run.

That was the last time Johnson Central saw the end zone. After Workman’s touchdown to end the first half, the Golden Eagles managed just 96 yards of total offense in the second 24 minutes.

Covington Catholic forced three straight turnovers in the fourth quarter to dash any hopes of a Johnson Central comeback. Two led to scores, including a 23-yard interception return by Alex Wagner.

“I think we were really frustrated about giving up that touchdown,” Wirth said. “The players talked more than the coaches did. They wanted to come out in the second half and set an edge. And that’s hard to do against Johnson Central because they are a good team.”

Workman finished with 91 yards while senior halfback Jordan Young finished with 83 yards and a touchdown for the Golden Eagles.

After becoming the third team in school history to finish the regular season undefeated, Johnson Central fell to Covington Catholic in the region semifinal for the second straight year.

“The undefeated season is a credit to our seniors," Matney said. “Anytime you lose it’s a sad day. But we’ll learn by it, we’ll rebuild and move on to next year.”

http://www.dailyindependent.com/localspo...-goes-down
Strength Of Schedule

Should be the most popular tattoo down in quiet little Johnsonville today. I gotta admit, I expected CovCath to do little more than give you guys a game, keep it within 14 points, and give you something to think about before next weeks game at Highlands. They surpassed my expectations in HUGE fashion. CovCath is going to be tough in the next few years. Heck, they're going to be tough next week. Based on previous years, I'm going to predict a run on Woodford Reserve this week.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
The Cannon Still Roars.....
Congrats Covcath.
Congratulations to CC they really are.a good team this year . The best CC team I've seen . They wanted it and came to play . The funny thing they killed us on the ground and pound . Hate eating crow but would you put some barbacue sauce on it. Also want to congatulate all the JC boys on a great year of hard work and to let you know we all Thank You All for all the fun you've provided us your loyal and dedicated fans
What a terrible effort. Thank God football is over this year. Enjoy another HHS beating,
pals. We sucked, and we got the beating we deserved for it.
It was amazing to read all of the posts this week of how JC was going to walk all over CC.
maximus73 Wrote:Congratulations to CC they really are.a good team this year . The best CC team I've seen . They wanted it and came to play . The funny thing they killed us on the ground and pound . Hate eating crow but would you put some barbacue sauce on it. Also want to congatulate all the JC boys on a great year of hard work and to let you know we all Thank You All for all the fun you've provided us your loyal and dedicated fans

Nobody will play us. Not much we can do about that. Doubt getting beat downs from small college teams will keep us from quitting during games when it matters.
Diogenes Wrote:What a terrible effort. Thank God football is over this year. Enjoy another HHS beating,

Come on man. Terrible effort? We simply got beat by a better team. Congratulations seniors on a great career, thank you for your hard work. Underclassmen get in the weight room. Next season starts now.
Diogenes Wrote:Nobody will play us. Not much we can do about that. Doubt getting beat downs from small college teams will keep us from quitting during games when it matters.

Really, what are other teams afraid of? I'm sure you can find any team in NKY that would play you on a regular basis.
strawberryshakeman Wrote:Really, what are other teams afraid of? I'm sure you can find any team in NKY that would play you on a regular basis.

We'd love to take eight hour bus trips. Ask Prestonsburg, Paintsville, Lawrence, Breathitt, Pike Central what they're up to. Other than defecating their shorts thinking about getting some of JC. Or Sheldon Clark's sudden attack of pre season butthurt this year, trying to leave us with 9 games. I really enjoyed watching their season, btw, glad it worked out for them! Did they score all year? I'd rather just have winning seasons and district titles. Obviously we are never going to be allowed to win a state title because the KHSAA will always make sure sone small college team is in our way. So I'd rather enjoy playing and beating down local rivals, personally.
strawberryshakeman Wrote:Really, what are other teams afraid of? I'm sure you can find any team in NKY that would play you on a regular basis.

strawberryshakeman Wrote:It was amazing to read all of the posts this week of how JC was going to walk all over CC.

Where did you even come from? You didn't post all week. Now you come trolling out of nowhere. I guess you're CCH's biggest fan? Paintsville or LC or SC done for the season now, so you got time to troll on the threads for a successful program? Awesome.
Diogenes Wrote:Next season? Better work on stopping Q. Baker. Maybe we can win a district again, with the game at JC. Highlands wins its 37th straight state title. Good, cause you know, those pricks need more shit to talk about. We'll never have a chance at this rate. Welcome to life in EKY. Can't block a bunch of private school pampered boys? Can't get a yard on 4th down, time and again? We got exactly what we deserved. Nice. I'm sick of it all. Maybe the 8th grade state champion team will have a shot in 4 years, but I am sure Highlands will find the next Cincinnati Tom Brady in the meantime. Doesn't matter what we do or how hard we work. We'll either face a dream team, or choke ourselves out trying to get there, like tonight. Face a team that sandbagged all year and suddenly decided everyone was healthy tonight. It's so much bullshit. One time I'd like an even playing field. One damn time.

How was it not "even" last night?
Hoot Gibson Wrote:Congratulations, CovCath, and best of luck throughout the playoffs. Luke Bir and the Colonels ability to shut down Belcher last night were the difference. JC is a very young team and their inexperience and overall soft schedule showed last night. I hope that JC can find some better early season opponents next season to go with Harlan County and Belfry because it would be a shame if the talent next year's team will have returning sails into the playoffs unchallenged again.

We are not young. That was a senior dominated team, and our best chance for a few years to do any damage. And we failed miserably. There is no sugar coating this. We came out, and laid a big fat egg. Period. The bell rang, several times, and nobody answered. Why? I don't know. Maybe they'll do some soul searching and learn from this as men and use it to make themselves better people. I hope so. Is the only positive you can take away from a total system failure like this.
Diogenes Wrote:Next season? Better work on stopping Q. Baker. Maybe we can win a district again, with the game at JC. Highlands wins its 37th straight state title. Good, cause you know, those pricks need more shit to talk about. We'll never have a chance at this rate. Welcome to life in EKY. Can't block a bunch of private school pampered boys? Can't get a yard on 4th down, time and again? We got exactly what we deserved. Nice. I'm sick of it all. Maybe the 8th grade state champion team will have a shot in 4 years, but I am sure Highlands will find the next Cincinnati Tom Brady in the meantime. Doesn't matter what we do or how hard we work. We'll either face a dream team, or choke ourselves out trying to get there, like tonight. Face a team that sandbagged all year and suddenly decided everyone was healthy tonight. It's so much bullshit. One time I'd like an even playing field. One damn time.

Wow, someone had a very poor misconception on had good their team was going into this game due to a poor schedule and now having a very hard time accepting getting beat by a better team. I for one fell for the JC fans saying all year that this was their best team ever. Are JC fans a bad judge of talent or just blowing smoke all year and being unrealistic?
sstack Wrote:Wow, someone had a very poor misconception on had good their team was going into this game due to a poor schedule and now having a very hard time accepting getting beat by a better team. I for one fell for the JC fans saying all year that this was their best team ever. Are JC fans a bad judge of talent or just blowing smoke all year and being unrealistic?

I think they were a solid team, but the schedule was not as strong as it could have been if the teams that they played were as strong as they traditionally have been.
Twitter: @tc_analytics

Diogenes Wrote:We are not young. That was a senior dominated team, and our best chance for a few years to do any damage. And we failed miserably. There is no sugar coating this. We came out, and laid a big fat egg. Period. The bell rang, several times, and nobody answered. Why? I don't know. Maybe they'll do some soul searching and learn from this as men and use it to make themselves better people. I hope so. Is the only positive you can take away from a total system failure like this.
Stop being a sore loser. The only thing worse is a bad winner, and so far I have not seen that from any real Covington Catholic fans.

As for this being a senior dominated team, that is far from the truth. Last night was a disappointing performance but JC returns far more talent next season than it will be losing.

It has been seven years since Covington Catholic has managed to beat Highlands, a public school, in the playoffs. That pampered private school boys line was childish and insulting. Such statements reflect poorly on Johnson Central.
I was looking forward to Highlands playing Johnson Central and getting to meet Mr. Seger.
whackem'n'stackem Wrote:I was looking forward to Highlands playing Johnson Central and getting to meet Mr. Seger.

I guess you'll just have to catch me on youtube wacky....Maybe next year.
Diogenes Wrote:A private school, with no boundaries, in the middle of a large city? Playing a county school where kids have to bum rides home from practice, when they might live 45 minutes away from school and yet in the same county?

You tell me. Obviously you are either a troll from somewhere local who hates us for our success - in which case you know exactly what I mean - or you're just another clueless jackass born and raised in civilization, which you take for granted and think everywhere is like NKY. It isn't. Trust me.
Yes, there are obstacles that teams in eastern Kentucky face that teams from cities in NKY don't have, and I have explained those obstacles myself before in great detail - but that is no reason to be a sore loser. Johnson Central has built a very good program in eastern Kentucky. Unfortunately, most other schools in eastern Kentucky that have enrollments near JC's have not done the same. JC should not have to ride a bus three or four hours to find strong competition. The level of competition throughout eastern Kentucky needs to be elevated for the benefit of all the teams that play there.

As for your closing paragraph, you are embarrassing yourself and your school, assuming that you are a JC graduate. Maybe you should walk away from your computer until you regain your senses.
It's a matter of perspective. One need only look at the Ashland/Highlands score to see what would've happened to JC if they had gotten past CCH. Now you can watch the team that beat JC get steamrolled next week and you saved a long bus ride home, IMO. Next season the Eagles will meet the same NKY foes and hopefully will fare better against CCH.
Your kind of all over the place.
OK- acknowledging that schedule making is at least partially out of Matneys control (being as the out of district teams they want to play also, in turn, want to play JC) there are two clear issues under Matneys control:
1) Style of offense. Sorry, but unless your Cincinnati Colerain and have anything approaching those kind of athletes to run the wishbone, JC isn't going to go farther than they have.
2) Platooning. JC seemed to have enough boys on the sideline to do this (what do they have- 60-70 players?). That game was won on the line. By the middle of the 3rd quarter they were gassed.
Cov Cath has been playing with about 7-9 Soph's almost all year in starting roles or playing starting type minutes due to injury after injury - and they've grabbed the bull by the horns by taking their opportunities and succeeding. You are able to do that when you platoon a team and are able to more quickly develop a young player by dedicating practice time to one position.

Matneys can tell the papers "the boys didn't play well" or "we were just too young"- blah blah blah. He should own up and just say he was out coached.
Diogenes- your kind of all over the place with the excuses.
OK- acknowledging that schedule making is at least partially out of Matneys control (being as the out of district teams they want to play also, in turn, want to play JC) there are two clear issues under Matneys control:
1) Style of offense. Sorry, but unless your Cincinnati Colerain and have anything approaching those kind of athletes to run the wishbone, JC isn't going to go farther than they have.
2) Platooning. JC seemed to have enough boys on the sideline to do this (what do they have- 60-70 players?). That game was won on the line. By the middle of the 3rd quarter they were gassed.
Cov Cath has been playing with about 7-9 Soph's almost all year in starting roles or playing starting type minutes due to injury after injury - and they've grabbed the bull by the horns by taking their opportunities and succeeding. You are able to do that when you platoon a team and are able to more quickly develop a young player by dedicating practice time to one position.

Matneys can tell the papers "the boys didn't play well" or "we were just too young"- blah blah blah. He should own up and just say he was out coached.
Armchair QB Wrote:Come on man. Terrible effort? We simply got beat by a better team. Congratulations seniors on a great career, thank you for your hard work. Underclassmen get in the weight room. Next season starts now.

You are exactly right. I'm sure we could have played better in some areas , but you have to give credit where credit is due..
I first want to congradualte CCHS on the win. You won and we have no excuses.

To our seniors, I have enjoyed watching you guys play since Middle School, thanks for the ride.

I played and have been a fan of Eastern KY Football for a very long time. The game has changed. Football in Eastern KY has fallen behind. Until more teams start conitioning, teaching fundmentals at the lower levels and the high schools start running the gun style offfense we will stay behind. CCHS put more yards on the ground on us than any team has in a long time out of the gun. We must change our defense and be able to stop the pass and the run out of these gun offenses.

JC is going to have to get out of the mountains and travel on several long trips to play quality teams if we are to advance. We can cry about all the advantages the NKY schools have, but it is up to us to change that. We have come a long, long way and I think are the best program in EKY, but we saw tonight we have a ways to go. We have an awesome group of kids coming up, lets give them a chance to win the title. If we keep on doing what we are doing we will get the same results.
  •  Previous
  • 2(current)
  • Next