Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Belfry’s Zack Thompson scores perfect ACT score
GOODY, Ky. – It is very challenging to be perfect in the world of sports. In football there are always going to be missed tackles, failed blocks or dropped passes.

However, in the world of academics, it could be even more difficult to get a perfect score.

But Belfry senior defensive lineman Zack Thompson did just that. He has scored a perfect 36 on the ACT (American College Testing).

The modest Thompson simply said, “I tried my best.”

Thompson did a little more than tried his best. He did something that is unique. Among test takers in the high school graduating class of 2012, only 781 of more than 1.66 million students earned a composite score of 36.

According to the one Internet site, the ACT consists of four different test sections: 1) English; 2) Math; 3) Reading; and 4) Science. The English Test consists of 75 questions, the Math test 60 questions, and 40 questions each for the Reading and Science tests.

A perfect ACT score is 36, and in other words, a perfect ACT score is a 36 in all four sections of the test to get the composite score of 36.

Thompson has found the balance of academics and athletics. He has been playing football since the 4th grade.

“It is just a lot of hard work and not a lot of free time,” Thompson said of his academic prowess.

His favorite subject is Chemistry and he likes Science classes, but his least favorite is English.

Thompson plans to major in Bio Chemistry when he starts college next autumn. He has aspirations of becoming an Anesthesiologist. He has not decided on a university yet, but he has narrowed it down to the University of Kentucky, Eastern Kentucky or Ohio State.

Thompson has not yet been offered any academic scholarships, but they should come as his senior season winds down.

His father and mother are Joe and Angela Thompson, who both work at Appalachian Regional Hospital in South Williamson, Ky.

Thompson said his father has instilled in him an ethic of hard work and to put 110 percent into anything he does.

Dr. Charles “Chuck” Johnson, who is a Belfry grad and serves as team doctor for the Pirates, says that Thompson is the first student ever from BHS to make a perfect score on the ACT.

As for football, Thompson said he and his teammates work hard in practice each day to try to get better.

So far the Pirates are also perfect this season with a record of 7-0. Thompson is pleased to be a part of that success.

He is an outstanding young man,” Belfry coach Philip Haywood said of Thompson.

“I just work my tail off in practice to try to make everybody else on the team better,” the humble Thompson said. “I just try to push everyone else.”

Thompson said he doesn’t worry about playing time, but he has 33 tackles this season, 12 of those have been unassisted.

“He is not only a good student, but a good player and he just does things well,” Haywood added. “That is the kind of person you like to have on your team.”

Haywood said he and his staff like to emphasize academics as-well-as athletics and Thompson is a perfect example of that kind of student athlete.

congrats to Zack,hes a fine guy man and he parents are fine people as well..
That's more impressive than anything anyone can ever do on the field in my opinion. Congrats to Mr. Thompson.
There has been more than one that has scored perfect on the ACT from Belfry, I know of at least 4 from when I was in school.. Nevertheless, it is an amazing accomplishment and He deserves a big CONGRATULATIONS!!!!! Keep up the good work young man, in the classroom, and on the field...
^ uncalled for!!!!!!!
THEBIGDAWG Wrote:Great Job Young Man I bet Your Family back in WV is very proud!!!!!!

Trolls will be trolls. Ignore them long enough and they will disappear. Major congrats to Mr. Thompson for an amazing achievement!
What now talk about Butt Hurt all I did was say congrats and what A Great Job to the Young Man. Wow!!!!!!! Smh
This is great news for Zach Thompson!! Congratulations to him in his academic career!!
Dang, that's just unreal. Congratulations and all the best of luck to the young man.
Congratulations Zach. That is something to be proud of.
Wildcat18 Wrote:That's more impressive than anything anyone can ever do on the field in my opinion. Congrats to Mr. Thompson.

Totally agree. Congrats Mr. Thompson.

Ignore the comment by THEBIGDAWG. It gets awful lonely on that porch of his.
Congrats Mr. Thompson
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Every time I bring up that Pikeville's ACT scores are near the top in the state and Belfry's are near the bottom I am told it's off topic hehe.

Congrats to Zack Thompson!
Congrats..
This is aWesome! Payoff for all the hard work! Congrats
HUGE accomplishment. Congrats go to this young man.
This is a great example of a student athlete, student comes first.
Congrats to the young man on the hard work on and off the field.
Congrats your future is looking bright. You've got the world in the palm of your hand! Now go follow your dreams and reach for the stars your going to go far in this world!!
Best of wishes! Now make it happen!!
THEBIGDAWG Wrote:Great Job Young Man I bet Your Family back in WV is very proud!!!!!!

:dudecomeon: way uncool!!
Congratulations to him and his family. That is more impressive than anything that can be done on a football field.
Wow Congrats
:Clap:Bravo! Congratulations to this young man. This is truly an accomplishment.:notworthy:notworthy:notworthy

I myself had a perfect ACT score ruined when my third baseman made an error. Okay, maybe not, but I did score an 11, which was good in Spinal Tap. Right?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
The Cannon Still Roars.....

Great comment! You must be really proud of trying to take a shot at a fanbase at the expense of a 17 year old kid. For the record, Zack lives in Kentucky and both of his parents work hard at ARH in South Williamson, KY. You should feel like a real jackass for trying to disrespect the accomplishment of this kid for an attempt at a joke because you're ashamed the team the young man played for beat you. You want to keep justifying the loss and won't accept it. I have never had a bad thing to say about a Lawrence County Bulldog until I've stumbled across you. Grow up, man. You realize when you associate your name with a fan base your actions (whether classy or ridiculous) reflect onto that bunch? Well you're the bad apple of the Lawrence County tree right now. This will be the last time I acknowledge you, and I truly believe you are what's wrong with BGR and message boards regarding high school sports.

Whatever your reply might be, keep it. I don't care. If you reply, you are only making yourself look more dumb than you currently do because you are trying to argue online, which is not my intent. My intent is to inform you that you should be ashamed of your actions on here and especially taking a jab at the fan base on a thread about an incredible accomplishment of one of our football players.

As far as Zack, The ACT score is absolutely incredible but I think it's just as incredible to say that it was 30 or above in the 8th grade! Not bad for a kid who gets pretty good playing time on the field and has been to state (I think twice) in wrestling. Congrats Zack!
WideRight05 Wrote:Dang, that's just unreal. Congratulations and all the best of luck to the young man.

Classy post, man. Glad you know when to be a troll and when to not. God bless!
It's one of the hardest things in the world to do, a 36 on the ACT.

That's much more impressive than anything that will happen on any football field in the state this year.

Congrats, man. I know very well it isn't easy.
Congrats young man. Not many can say they did a feat like this.

Goodluck to which ever school you decide to go to and good luck on the rest of this season!
Excellent job! I love hearing this! Sounds like the young man and his family has a lot of class. Zack should be the poster child for the term student-athlete, and all high school kids in general should try to focus on their education as much as he has, as people with a work ethic like his is what makes our country so great to live in.
Congrats on your 36, and good luck at whatever college you choose.
Congratulations and best of luck in everything you do!
Awesome!!! Congratulations.