Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How good are they?
Hoot Gibson Wrote:Surely, by now, the answer to the question in bold has been answered for you. If JC passes against Highlands, it will not be because Highlands forces them to pass. It has not yet happened, so it is reasonable to assume that it will not happen this year either. Mueller does not run the ball in obvious running situations, such as sitting on top of a 70-0 lead, and Matney does not necessarily pass the ball in obvious passing situations.

Yea, I knew the answer to that question, but you still wonder if this is the year that he might try something different. But if he does not practice it in any other games, it is very unlikely he will in the playoffs, and if he does they will be very little if any game experience. Highlands has had games where they have run 95-100% of the game and games where they have passed 95-100% of the time. Some games he does not game plan against a certain team but uses the game to practice what he thinks the team needs to work on to be best prepared for playoff run. I guess JC feels that the run is the only way they can compete and have chance to win and stick with it from day one of practice, that is just a hard concept for us northeners to comprehend.
Johnson central is very good putting pressure on the quarterback, but when it comes to stopping Highlands passing game.... I just don't see it. I see large numbers put up in this game if it happens. Johnson central will do well putting points up against Highlands but I don't think they will prevent highlands from doing the same. I don't see the monkey coming off the back this year. Hope I'm wrong though
Special Teams advantages has been one of the factors in the Highland's win's . You can eliminate Kick Off Returns and field goals will be a option once JC cross the 50 Yard Line. This will be big. Not sure it will be a difference make but it could be.
sstack Wrote:Yea, I knew the answer to that question, but you still wonder if this is the year that he might try something different. But if he does not practice it in any other games, it is very unlikely he will in the playoffs, and if he does they will be very little if any game experience. Highlands has had games where they have run 95-100% of the game and games where they have passed 95-100% of the time. Some games he does not game plan against a certain team but uses the game to practice what he thinks the team needs to work on to be best prepared for playoff run. I guess JC feels that the run is the only way they can compete and have chance to win and stick with it from day one of practice, that is just a hard concept for us northeners to comprehend.
Running the score up against weak opponents like Harrison County by passing on virtually every offensive play is a difficult concept for eastern Kentuckians like me to understand. So is calling timeouts with a running clock at the end of the first half to give your first team a few more snaps against a team that would probably struggle against your freshman team.

At some point, opponents are so weak that game experience is less valuable than practice experience. Surely, Highlands' first team defense presents more of a challenge to Highlands' first team offense than Harrison County's did. Every time that I read a Highlands fan criticize Matney for something that they think showed poor sportsmanship, I just shake my head and laugh in amazement at the hypocrisy. I cannot think of anything more unsportsmanlike than the performance Highlands turned in against Harrison County.

Unless the KHSAA stats are wrong, Highlands rushed for 2 yards on 2 attempts, both by their starting quarterback, against Harrison County in a 77-0 romp. I am guessing that the quarterback scrambled twice on passing plays. Am I right?

Eventually, the shoe finds its way to the other foot. I hope that Dale Mueller is still coaching Highlands when that day comes, but I suspect that it will be somebody else's problem. FTR, I have seen Matney call off the dogs repeatedly in similar situations, including at least a couple of games when he was coaching Sheldon Clark against Johnson Central and his team was scoring almost at will. There is nothing to be gained by thoroughly embarrassing a defenseless opponent.
Hoot Gibson Wrote:Running the score up against weak opponents like Harrison County by passing on virtually every offensive play is a difficult concept for eastern Kentuckians like me to understand. So is calling timeouts with a running clock at the end of the first half to give your first team a few more snaps against a team that would probably struggle against your freshman team.

At some point, opponents are so weak that game experience is less valuable than practice experience. Surely, Highlands' first team defense presents more of a challenge to Highlands' first team offense than Harrison County's did. Every time that I read a Highlands fan criticize Matney for something that they think showed poor sportsmanship, I just shake my head and laugh in amazement at the hypocrisy. I cannot think of anything more unsportsmanlike than the performance Highlands turned in against Harrison County.

Unless the KHSAA stats are wrong, Highlands rushed for 2 yards on 2 attempts, both by their starting quarterback, against Harrison County in a 77-0 romp. I am guessing that the quarterback scrambled twice on passing plays. Am I right?

Eventually, the shoe finds its way to the other foot. I hope that Dale Mueller is still coaching Highlands when that day comes, but I suspect that it will be somebody else's problem. FTR, I have seen Matney call off the dogs repeatedly in similar situations, including at least a couple of games when he was coaching Sheldon Clark against Johnson Central and his team was scoring almost at will. There is nothing to be gained by thoroughly embarrassing a defenseless opponent.

And people have a problem with JC when Matney takes 3 big losses on plays to get a long field goal try.

JC could have EASILY scored 80+ points in every game so far this season. There is no doubt in anybody's mind about that.

But what good is that gonna do against a team that would struggle against their freshman team?
The paper said that Highands' drives averaged 1.5 plays. Don't know that I'd rely too much on criticizing the play calling. Also, the shovel pass and screen to Harris or Hayes resulted in a few TDs. There were deep balls, but mostly just short passes with many YAC.
JCs DL will get pressure on Highlands QB and help the DBs out. I don't think the platoon system that Highlands runs will be a problem for JC. They look as fresh in the 4th qtr as they do in the 1st and they don't have a lot of guys that go both ways either. And the ones that do, don't go fulltime on both sides. JC can also throw the ball when they have to or want to. A more diverse team than any of the previous teams.

In saying this, JC needs to worry about getting past Cov Cath before they can even think about Highlands. I think they will and do so pretty handily, but, don't want to get ahead of ourselves here. CC will be a tough out, as always.
Are we really talking this much about a game that may or may not happen? And If it does wouldn't be until the 3rd week of November.
Dropaduece Wrote:I think you guys are missing the point. Sstack is really saying he doesn't care about any of your teams, no body is close to Highlands. IMO.

Agreed sarcasm :haters:
KYHSFBFan Wrote:JCs DL will get pressure on Highlands QB and help the DBs out. I don't think the platoon system that Highlands runs will be a problem for JC. They look as fresh in the 4th qtr as they do in the 1st and they don't have a lot of guys that go both ways either. And the ones that do, don't go fulltime on both sides. JC can also throw the ball when they have to or want to. A more diverse team than any of the previous teams.

In saying this, JC needs to worry about getting past Cov Cath before they can even think about Highlands. I think they will and do so pretty handily, but, don't want to get ahead of ourselves here. CC will be a tough out, as always.

Unless CCH shows a lot of improvement in last half of season, I do not think JC will have any problem beating them.
Pulp Fiction Wrote:JC's 2000 team (11-1) was our ever district championship team. They were 10-0 in the regular season. Our offense was Casey Music, Scott Salyers, Chat Yates, Marc Shepherd (I know I'm leaving some people out) 95% run.

JC's 2006 team (13-1) was our first ever regional championship team and had our deepest playoff run in school's history. They were 10-0 in the regular season. Our offense was JK Ratliff, Shawn Grim, Blake Johnson (I know I'm leaving some people out) 90% run.

This year's team could very easily join the 10-0 regular season crowd at JC. But I know these boys want state championship trophy.

JC's 1977 team went 10-0 too...I would think that with a perfect regular season record that they would have had to have been district champs that year, but I cant remember exactly...Perhaps Hoot can remember how that played out, or perhaps even better,your mom or dad may remember.
How about all the trolls and JC haters let our boys play 1 game at a time.

Highlands and Cov. Cath. aren't going anywhere. I know every JC fan wants to take a trip west to Bowling Green. But let us take it 1 game at a time.

Sincerely, Alex Green.
Bob Seger Wrote:JC's 1977 team went 10-0 too...I would think that with a perfect regular season record that they would have had to have been district champs that year, but I cant remember exactly...Perhaps Hoot can remember how that played out, or perhaps even better,your mom or dad may remember.

I've heard the "Belfry Field Goal" story so many times....

But I'll ask them.
Bob Seger Wrote:JC's 1977 team went 10-0 too...I would think that with a perfect regular season record that they would have had to have been district champs that year, but I cant remember exactly...Perhaps Hoot can remember how that played out, or perhaps even better,your mom or dad may remember.
I am not sure, Bob. I remember that JC removed Belfry from the schedule following the FG that was allegedly "too high" to be called good. If they were in Belfry's district, then the 1977 team might have finished runner-up to Belfry - but if they were in Belfry's district, then it seems like they would have a forfeit on their record, and I have heard for years that the team went 10-0.
Was told in 2000 that we were the schools first undefeated season and first district championship team... So who knows.
JCHS Alumni Eagle Wrote:Was told in 2000 that we were the schools first undefeated season and first district championship team... So who knows.
My son was a starting lineman on that team and I was told the same thing, but then a member of the 1977 team told me that they went 10-0. Maybe a member of the '77 team will see this thread and tell us how their season ended. It could be that JC voluntarily chose not to compete in a district for a few years and did not participate in the playoffs in 1977 - I just don't remember. I do remember that the success of the '77 team was short lived and was soon followed by another head coaching change.
sstack Wrote:It is a compliment, some are just so defensive they take all questions/talk as someone putting them down. Not too worried because I honestly do not think anyone can stop Highlands offense. I do think JC can put some points on the board but not more than Highlands. Looking forward too the matchup between the two teams.

SSTACK you sure know how to rile some people up and you thought the Boyle fan were defensive.i'm glad its JC instead of Boyle you're poking at.Confusednicker:
Jack Lambert Wrote:SSTACK you sure know how to rile some people up and you thought the Boyle fan were defensive.i'm glad its JC instead of Boyle you're poking at.Confusednicker:
I appreciate sstack's pokes. It gives us a chance to remind people of what poor sportsmanship Dale Mueller shows on a regular basis. I expect that we will see a few new members sign up to defend him. It is cheaper than paying for a subscription on the "other" website and getting booted for simply stating the truth. :biggrin:
Hoot Gibson Wrote:I appreciate sstack's pokes. It gives us a chance to remind people of what poor sportsmanship Dale Mueller shows on a regular basis. I expect that we will see a few new members sign up to defend him. It is cheaper than paying for a subscription on the "other" website and getting booted for simply stating the truth. :biggrin:

Preach on son....
Blank post.... (I didn't wanna see my post total at 1,666)
Hoot Gibson Wrote:I am not sure, Bob. I remember that JC removed Belfry from the schedule following the FG that was allegedly "too high" to be called good. If they were in Belfry's district, then the 1977 team might have finished runner-up to Belfry - but if they were in Belfry's district, then it seems like they would have a forfeit on their record, and I have heard for years that the team went 10-0.

The team did finish 10-0...I'm not mistaken on that part, as it was Teeny VanHoose's first year to coach at JC after leaving Boyd Co. The 1976 year was a disaster under one year coach Jerry Beatty. I just can't remember how the district title part came out. I think that Central was also in the same district as Russell at that time too. One needs to remember at this time that Boyd Co. was a state powerhouse, and were only a couple years removed from being the at large Kentucky 4A state champs, eventually losing to the Louisville area 4A champion in the title game.....Boyd had undisputably the best backfield in the state at that time. A couple of names from the Boyd program from the day were FB/LB Robin Chaney (Kentucky Mr. Football and eventual UK defensive captain) and stud RB Terry Keelin.....I cant remember why VanHoose left to come to JC at the time though. I think he was a former Johnson Co. native, and was rumored to be at odds with the members of the BOE at the time. Had VanHoose become a long time fixture at JC , the chances are pretty good that the word "tradition" would be used to reference the JC program like it is with Belfry. I think he would have consistently had the JC program at the level that Matney currently has them at.
Bob Seger Wrote:The team did finish 10-0...I'm not mistaken on that part, as it was Teeny VanHoose's first year to coach at JC after leaving Boyd Co. The 1976 year was a disaster under one year coach Jerry Beatty. I just can't remember how the district title part came out. I think that Central was also in the same district as Russell at that time too. One needs to remember at this time that Boyd Co. was a state powerhouse, and were only a couple years removed from being the at large Kentucky 4A state champs, eventually losing to the Louisville area 4A champion in the title game.....Boyd had undisputably the best backfield in the state at that time. A couple of names from the Boyd program from the day were FB/LB Robin Chaney (Kentucky Mr. Football and eventual UK defensive captain) and stud RB Terry Keelin.....I cant remember why VanHoose left to come to JC at the time though. I think he was a former Johnson Co. native, and was rumored to be at odds with the members of the BOE at the time. Had VanHoose become a long time fixture at JC , the chances are pretty good that the word "tradition" would be used to reference the JC program like it is with Belfry. I think he would have consistently had the JC program at the level that Matney currently has them at.
I agree, Bob. I don't remember for sure, but didn't Vanhoose go on to a successful career down south somewhere? It is a shame that the BOE in JC's early years seem to think that as soon as an "outsider" coach posted a decent record, then any politically connected local coach could step into his place and maintain that same level. Vanhoose built an impressive program at Boyd County and provided immediate respectability to JC's program and then he was gone.
How about we let this thread go to "Idle" status until after the season is over......

If JC beats Cov. Cath., Highlands and wins the 4A state title... then we can say the 2013 team is the best JC team in history.
Jack Lambert Wrote:SSTACK you sure know how to rile some people up and you thought the Boyle fan were defensive.i'm glad its JC instead of Boyle you're poking at.Confusednicker:

Funny thing is I was not trying to rile people up, just wanted to know how people compared this team to some of the really good teams of past. I am really surprised at number of responses to the post. I have to say highlands fans I hang around have nothing bad to say about the JC program. Great things are said about their running game and how well it is exacuted. It is frustrating at times as a fan because they are so good at hiding handoffs, that sometimes you have trouble figuring out who has the ball. I know JC fans get tired of hearing that they should learn to pass the ball, but it really is a compliment. Highlands fans know if they had any passing game at all to go along with the great running game that they would be in for a very very difficult time stopping them. I think it scares HHS fans to think what could be if JC developed a balanced O. Hey, I could rile up the Boyle fans by asking them the same question:biggrin:
Hoot Gibson Wrote:I agree, Bob. I don't remember for sure, but didn't Vanhoose go on to a successful career down south somewhere? It is a shame that the BOE in JC's early years seem to think that as soon as an "outsider" coach posted a decent record, then any politically connected local coach could step into his place and maintain that same level. Vanhoose built an impressive program at Boyd County and provided immediate respectability to JC's program and then he was gone.

Yeah, I think I had heard that too, but I'm not sure where he ever ended up. That's been many moons ago Hoot......lol
sstack Wrote:Funny thing is I was not trying to rile people up, just wanted to know how people compared this team to some of the really good teams of past. I am really surprised at number of responses to the post. I have to say highlands fans I hang around have nothing bad to say about the JC program. Great things are said about their running game and how well it is exacuted. It is frustrating at times as a fan because they are so good at hiding handoffs, that sometimes you have trouble figuring out who has the ball. I know JC fans get tired of hearing that they should learn to pass the ball, but it really is a compliment. Highlands fans know if they had any passing game at all to go along with the great running game that they would be in for a very very difficult time stopping them. I think it scares HHS fans to think what could be if JC developed a balanced O. Hey, I could rile up the Boyle fans by asking them the same question:biggrin:

I think the JC QB was the most impressive player on the field last Friday. He throws a nice ball and they got some guys that can catch it. The td pass he threw in the second quarter was a well designed play and a thing of beauty. Make no mistake they won't throw it 30 times but highlands or any other team would be foolish to think they couldn't pass if needed. Every 2nd and 4 or 5 i would be looking for that same play call.
tomcatfan722000 Wrote:I think the JC QB was the most impressive player on the field last Friday. He throws a nice ball and they got some guys that can catch it. The td pass he threw in the second quarter was a well designed play and a thing of beauty. Make no mistake they won't throw it 30 times but highlands or any other team would be foolish to think they couldn't pass if needed. Every 2nd and 4 or 5 i would be looking for that same play call.

If we can keep teams honest enough to not stack the box with 9-10 players every play.... well, I don't even wanna get started on that.

Let's just take it one game at a time.
JC will do fine in the playoffs. How they matchup with Cov Cath and Highlands will only be known after they play. That doesn't mean that we can't opine and prognosticate now. Isn't that what 75% of sports discussions are anyway?

My response to the OP: Leave your prediction where it is. JC will beat Cov Cath. The road game at Highlands is a lot more questionable. No prediction yet on how that one will end. I do expect that this Highlands team will be motivated after a likely late season loss to Cincy Elder. JC will always be motivated to knock off Highlands. The battle for #1 and #2 will take place in Fort Thomas.
Hoot Gibson Wrote:Running the score up against weak opponents like Harrison County by passing on virtually every offensive play is a difficult concept for eastern Kentuckians like me to understand. So is calling timeouts with a running clock at the end of the first half to give your first team a few more snaps against a team that would probably struggle against your freshman team.

10-7-2011. Does that date ring a bell? What about 7 touchdowns, or maybe 584 yards rushing? Don't act like JC's coach is a saint. I saw Jude with my on eyes run all over a pitiful Woodford Co. team. Timeouts were called and many other disgraceful things. I'm sorry but your fans live in a glass house.
whitepantherking Wrote:10-7-2011. Does that date ring a bell? What about 7 touchdowns, or maybe 584 yards rushing? Don't act like JC's coach is a saint. I saw Jude with my on eyes run all over a pitiful Woodford Co. team. Timeouts were called and many other disgraceful things. I'm sorry but your fans live in a glass house.
So, I take it that you see no problem with passing the ball on every down against a badly outmanned opponent in a 77-0 blowout? 9 TD passes? 2 rushing attempts, which apparently were scrambles by the starting QB to avoid losses. 2 yards rushing. No problem, right?

I have no problem with you Highlands fans criticizing Jim Matney. No coach is perfect and everybody, including Highlands' fans is entitled to voice their opinions. My problem lies with the chuckleheads among your ranks who call Coach Matney names like "clown" and "jerk" but refuse to acknowledge Dale Mueller's own outrageous acts of poor sportsmanship. The glass house is your's, not mine.