Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Johnson Central... Paintsville & The Apple Bowl
Yes, I know the Apple Bowl isn't played anymore. And yes, I know there is a thread started like this about every year around apple day.

But this morning when I woke up, the memories of Apple Day Thursday, the day of the game, always seem to come back.

The neighborhood I grew up in, there was people that went to Paintsville and JC. I went to JC from headstart. It was kind of a weird feeling talking to the people from Paintsville before you left out for school on Thursday morning, but during the game, you were hoping they left the field in a hearse.

Then on Friday & Saturday.... we'd see each other in town, and talk trash everytime we passed.

But on Sunday, it was like nothing ever happened.

Gotta love rivalry games.
Give Chirico a few years to get the Tiger program back to rare form. Then the central kids will start migrating over to Paintsville where they have a shot at a state championship. Cause we all know as long as Highlands is in the same class that will never happen at JC. Then this rivalry can pick up again. Go Tigers.
Ike Cooter Wrote:Give Chirico a few years to get the Tiger program back to rare form. Then the central kids will start migrating over to Paintsville where they have a shot at a state championship. Cause we all know as long as Highlands is in the same class that will never happen at JC. Then this rivalry can pick up again. Go Tigers.

:biglmao:
A breif look at the Apple Bowl from 2000 to 2008.

2000 - JC won 32-22. JC was 11-1. Paintsville was 9-4. Musick's last season at JC.
2001 - Paintsville won 40-22. Paintsville was 11-3. JC was 2-8. New coach at JC.
2002 - Paintsville won 30-45. Paintsville was 8-4. JC was 2-8. New coach at JC.
2003 - Paintsville won 20-13. Paintsville was 5-6. JC was 1-9.

(The Matney Era begins at JC in 2004.)
2004 - JC won 48-6. JC was 7-3. Paintsville was 6-5.
2005 - JC won 50-6. JC was 8-3. Paintsville was 10-3.
2006 - JC won 56-6. JC was 13-1. Paintsville was 5-6.
2007 - JC won 49-15. JC was 10-3. Paintsville was 6-6.
2008 - JC won 55-7. JC was 11-2. Paintsville was 6-6. This was the last Apple Bowl.

So if you look at the time line.... the 2008 class from JC was in 8th grade when Matney was hired in 2004.

The big difference is the majority of the County kids are staying in the County schools and the expansion of the elementary football progrms.
It took Johnson Central several years to figure this out. Start kids out early, teach them the proper fundamentals.... and keep them in playingm for your team.

Before Matney came to JC... as long as we beat Paintsville in the Apple Bowl, it was a successful season. The term "State Championship" wasn't even in our vocabulary. Now.... if we don't have an undefeated record and go to atleast the 3rd round of the playoffs, it feels like a bad season.
Ike Cooter Wrote:Give Chirico a few years to get the Tiger program back to rare form. Then the central kids will start migrating over to Paintsville where they have a shot at a state championship. Cause we all know as long as Highlands is in the same class that will never happen at JC. Then this rivalry can pick up again. Go Tigers.

What about say, 2006, when Paintsville went to the regional championship game under Bill Mike? They were pretty successful then, were they not? Of course over half of the starting lineup were kids that had at one time played in the county. Anyways, how many did you see migrate over then? I cant remember any. Kinda like "zero". And that's the way it's gonna continue as long as Matney is there. It would have to be a situation where JC had a coach like that nimrod that came in from Missouri that time.

Never happen at JC? They were a dropped touchdown pass about 2 years ago from that very thing....And it's a real possibility this year too.....Paintsville compete for a state title? Well it could always happen , but are you forgetting the Fairview/Huntington pipeline thing that they got going on? It's going to be a massive task to get by Fairview or Raceland either one just to advance out of the region. And as long as Mayfield is Mayfield, I can't see much of a difference in the scenario that you are saying about JC vs. Highlands.

And you mention that's when the series would become competitive....Lets go back to the 2006 game again.....Paintsville really had a nice team then, as it was mentioned that they were regional runners up....I believe the score in that game was still 50 something to 6 in the Apple Bowl. I think it would have to be a situation where Paintsville was absolutely loaded and JC would have to be very very down, for it to be a competitive game from now on...again, that is as long as Matney is at the helm..

As long as mayfield,raceland,fairview,beechwood,pikeville,and hazard are class A it won't happen at paintsville either. Atleast JC only really has to slay one giant even if it is a collosal one.
Bob Seger Wrote:What about say, 2006, when Paintsville went to the regional championship game under Bill Mike? They were pretty successful then, were they not? Of course over half of the starting lineup were kids that had at one time played in the county. Anyways, how many did you see migrate over then? I cant remember any. Kinda like "zero". And that's the way it's gonna continue as long as Matney is there. It would have to be a situation where JC had a coach like that nimrod that came in from Missouri that time.

Never happen at JC? They were a dropped touchdown pass about 2 years ago from that very thing....And it's a real possibility this year too.....Paintsville compete for a state title? Well it could always happen , but are you forgetting the Fairview/Huntington pipeline thing that they got going on? It's going to be a massive task to get by Fairview or Raceland either one just to advance out of the region. And as long as Mayfield is Mayfield, I can't see much of a difference in the scenario that you are saying about JC vs. Highlands.

And you mention that's when the series would become competitive....Lets go back to the 2006 game again.....Paintsville really had a nice team then, as it was mentioned that they were regional runners up....I believe the score in that game was still 50 something to 6 in the Apple Bowl. I think it would have to be a situation where Paintsville was absolutely loaded and JC would have to be very very down, for it to be a competitive game from now on...again, that is as long as Matney is at the helm..

Yeah..... What he said! :rockon:
tomcatfan722000 Wrote:As long as mayfield,raceland,fairview,beechwood,pikeville,and hazard are class A it won't happen at paintsville either. Atleast JC only really has to slay one giant even if it is a collosal one.

Fairview is really good this year, and are a definite threat to compete for a state title, but you see what happened in the preseason scrimmage with JC. They were completely humiliated and embarrassed.

Football is a whole different animal than baseball and basketball. You have to have depth and numbers....Two or 3 really good players on the football field is not equal to a 6-10 player on the basketball floor or a couple of stud pitchers surrounded by a very average team in baseball as far as making them competitive.
Bob Seger Wrote:What about say, 2006, when Paintsville went to the regional championship game under Bill Mike? They were pretty successful then, were they not? Of course over half of the starting lineup were kids that had at one time played in the county. Anyways, how many did you see migrate over then? I cant remember any. Kinda like "zero". And that's the way it's gonna continue as long as Matney is there. It would have to be a situation where JC had a coach like that nimrod that came in from Missouri that time.

Need to make a correction on that...That would be the 2005 football team, but it would have been the 2006 graduating class.
the way that they johonson central program has advanced over the past years and paintsville's program has been so inconsistant the past 4 to 5 years, there wouldnt be anything to gain from them playing each other, that rivalry has died, there was no excitment anymore in the games it just become a beatdown for paintsville. was it once a great rivalry? yes, but all good things must come to an end and it did.

Highlighted above is exactly what I'm talking about. Kids from the county use to go to Paintsville cause of tradition and winning titles. Now they have the man in place to bring back that tradition and winning mantality. Kids from the county will want to play for Chirico. He is and WILL prove that he's a better coach than Matney. Highlands is Highlands and always will be. Only Trinity has more State Championships. JC will never get out of the region to have a chance at a STATE TITLE. Fairview, Raceland, Pikevill and Hazrad are small just like Paintsville and the talent fluctuates yearly, therefore Paintsville will get there chance at Mayfield or whoever comes from the west in the TITLE game.

Oh yeah, this should make you guys happy cause it give you more championship fire power to throw at those Lawrence County people. :biglmao:
magic man Wrote:the way that they johonson central program has advanced over the past years and paintsville's program has been so inconsistant the past 4 to 5 years, there wouldnt be anything to gain from them playing each other, that rivalry has died, there was no excitment anymore in the games it just become a beatdown for paintsville. was it once a great rivalry? yes, but all good things must come to an end and it did.

I agree 100%. From 2009 til now, JC would easily hung 50+ points on the tigers.

Any top 5 team in Class 4A should beat any Class 1A team.
Ike Cooter Wrote:Highlighted above is exactly what I'm talking about. Kids from the county use to go to Paintsville cause of tradition and winning titles. Now they have the man in place to bring back that tradition and winning mantality. Kids from the county will want to play for Chirico. He is and WILL prove that he's a better coach than Matney. Highlands is Highlands and always will be. Only Trinity has more State Championships. JC will never get out of the region to have a chance at a STATE TITLE. Fairview, Raceland, Pikevill and Hazrad are small just like Paintsville and the talent fluctuates yearly, therefore Paintsville will get there chance at Mayfield or whoever comes from the west in the TITLE game.

Oh yeah, this should make you guys happy cause it give you more championship fire power to throw at those Lawrence County people. :biglmao:

:dudecomeon: :biglmao:
What makes anyone think that JC would renew the rivalry?

It benefits JC nothing to do so. Paintsville was the team that dropped the game, not JC. It was fine as long as they were winning but when Johnson Central starting racking up the lopsided wins they decided to call it quits. IMO, this game should never be played again. That would do nothing but weaken JC's schedule and would in no way prepare them for the post season.
khsgamenight Wrote:What makes anyone think that JC would renew the rivalry?

It benefits JC nothing to do so. Paintsville was the team that dropped the game, not JC. It was fine as long as they were winning but when Johnson Central starting racking up the lopsided wins they decided to call it quits. IMO, this game should never be played again. That would do nothing but weaken JC's schedule and would in no way prepare them for the post season.

Everytime this is brought up, some Paintsville fan says "Look at the All-Time win/loss record. And Yes, Paintsville does have more wins in this series (not sure on the exact number) but thats only because JC didn't get enough games to take the lead in the series. And no matter what anybody says, JC would be undefeated against Paintsville in the Matney era. No question.
Paintsville lead series 20-15-0
YearWinner Score
1974 Johnson Central 16 14
1975 Paintsville 19 0
1976 Paintsville 26 6
1977 Paintsville 14 6
1978 Paintsville 35 0
1979 Paintsville 20 0
1980 Paintsville 19 6
1981 Paintsville 19 6
1982 Paintsville 3 0
1983 Johnson Central 21 6
1984 Paintsville 21 7
1985 Johnson Central 17 14
1986 Paintsville 27 6
1987 Johnson Central 14 6
1988 Paintsville 23 20
1989 Paintsville 13 0
1990 Paintsville 15 8
1991 Paintsville 27 19
1992 Paintsville 14 12
1993 Johnson Central 56 12
1994 Johnson Central 8 6
1995 Paintsville 16 6
1996 Johnson Central 20 15
1997 Johnson Central 18 0
1998 Paintsville 27 0
1999 Johnson Central 22 14
2000 Johnson Central 32 22
2001 Paintsville 40 22
2002 Paintsville 45 30
2003 Paintsville 20 13
2004 Johnson Central 48 6
2005 Johnson Central 50 6
2006 Johnson Central 56 6
2007 Johnson Central 49 15
2008 Johnson Central 55 7
Kids from the County are not going to be leaving and going to Paintsville. Chirico is a good Coach but six games into his first season is a little early to say he will be a better Coach than Jim Matney. This is actually a borderline Ludicrous statement. Matney has over 200 wins in his career and Chirico has six. So lets wait a while before we throw Chirico into that category. As far as Paintsville playing Mayfield in the State Title Game.....you obviously haven't seen Mayfield play. It would be enjoyable for no one in Paintsville program.
Coach Chirico is doing a great job at Paintsville. I love the kids on their team and know many of them personally. Excellent athletes and good coaching is a potent combination. However, Paintsville is going to have to find some depth and raise those numbers in order to compete with other major players in Class A. I think they will do just that.

As far as players moving from the county to the city to play, I also think that will happen. Actually, is happened this year. Kids who are not willing to wait for their turn and seek immediate varsity action in significant minutes will be tempted to go. I don't believe the top athletes will leave, but there will be some who take the easy way rather than face tough competition at JC.
Somebody posted on my FB wall last night that 20 years ago today is when JC beat Paintsville 56-12.

It was "Shag Nasty" as Bill Musick said!!!
Ike Cooter Wrote:Highlighted above is exactly what I'm talking about. Kids from the county use to go to Paintsville cause of tradition and winning titles. Now they have the man in place to bring back that tradition and winning mantality. Kids from the county will want to play for Chirico. He is and WILL prove that he's a better coach than Matney. Highlands is Highlands and always will be. Only Trinity has more State Championships. JC will never get out of the region to have a chance at a STATE TITLE. Fairview, Raceland, Pikevill and Hazrad are small just like Paintsville and the talent fluctuates yearly, therefore Paintsville will get there chance at Mayfield or whoever comes from the west in the TITLE game.

They used to go when there was no Matney, and it had nothing to do with tradition. Bill Mike is still the basketball coach, how many do you see going to Paintsville for all of that tradition?...Kinda like zero now.

Obviously you know absolutely nothing about Fairview......They dressed almost 70, "yes that's right, almost 70" players for just a scrimmage, and they were huge to boot....Paintsville has what somewhere in the 25-30 player range on their roster when they're all healthy...But you'll find out before the year is out.....And keep this in mind, it was around 50-0 at the half in the JC scrimmage, with subs in for the second quarter..

Hope Paintsville does well, but what happened in yesteryear will probably remain in yesteryear.
khsgamenight Wrote:Coach Chirico is doing a great job at Paintsville. I love the kids on their team and know many of them personally. Excellent athletes and good coaching is a potent combination. However, Paintsville is going to have to find some depth and raise those numbers in order to compete with other major players in Class A. I think they will do just that.

As far as players moving from the county to the city to play, I also think that will happen. Actually, is happened this year. Kids who are not willing to wait for their turn and seek immediate varsity action in significant minutes will be tempted to go. I don't believe the top athletes will leave, but there will be some who take the easy way rather than face tough competition at JC.

I too believe that Coach Chirico is doing a great job at Paintsville this season. You are exactly right about the depth issue. Will the Tigers have the athletes to sustain success year in and year out? It will take a lot of County kids to do so. Times are a whole lot different now though. I don't think the Tigers program has the pull it once had. I don't think it will be near as easy to get borderline kids to come over because it isn't worth the risk.
khsgamenight Wrote:Coach Chirico is doing a great job at Paintsville. I love the kids on their team and know many of them personally. Excellent athletes and good coaching is a potent combination. However, Paintsville is going to have to find some depth and raise those numbers in order to compete with other major players in Class A. I think they will do just that.

I too believe that Coach Chirico is doing a great job at Paintsville this season. You are exactly right about the depth issue. Will the Tigers have the athletes to sustain success year in and year out? It will take a lot of County kids to do so. Times are a whole lot different now though. I don't think the Tigers program has the pull it once had. I don't think it will be near as easy to get borderline kids to come over because it isn't worth the risk.
Pulp Fiction Wrote:Somebody posted on my FB wall last night that 20 years ago today is when JC beat Paintsville 56-12.

It was "Shag Nasty" as Bill Musick said!!!

That game was one of my favorite football memories. Was supposed to be close. It was broken wide open from the first possession. You remember who had the big fumble return TD to start the scoring for JC that game?

I'm pretty sure it was Chris Stapleton. Yes, the one who is in concert this weekend.
Diogenes Wrote:That game was one of my favorite football memories. Was supposed to be close. It was broken wide open from the first possession. You remember who had the big fumble return TD to start the scoring for JC that game?

I'm pretty sure it was Chris Stapleton. Yes, the one who is in concert this weekend.

I have it on GOOD authority......

Chad Webb returned the fumble.... Chris Simpson made the initial hit that knocked the ball loose about 6 seconds into the game.

Chris Stapleton was #33... he was a linebacker.
Jamie Slone, Chris Simpson, Chris Bowlin, Scooter LeMaster Chris Pierce, Chad Webb, Chris Stapleton....... And many more I'm forgetting.
Bob Seger Wrote:They used to go when there was no Matney, and it had nothing to do with tradition. Bill Mike is still the basketball coach, how many do you see going to Paintsville for all of that tradition?...Kinda like zero now.

Obviously you know absolutely nothing about Fairview......They dressed almost 70, "yes that's right, almost 70" players for just a scrimmage, and they were huge to boot....Paintsville has what somewhere in the 25-30 player range on their roster when they're all healthy...But you'll find out before the year is out.....And keep this in mind, it was around 50-0 at the half in the JC scrimmage, with subs in for the second quarter..

Hope Paintsville does well, but what happened in yesteryear will probably remain in yesteryear.

Read my first post..... No one said anything about Paintsville making it to the state finals this year. I said give Chririco a few years and this program will be back to where it once was.

As far as knowing Fairview..... I do know they are not Highlands who is dominating year in and year out. Here is Fairview w-l back to 2006 according to KHSAA
2012 14-1 state runner up (who knows if this has ever happened before in their school history)
2011 12-1 (lost to Pikeville regional final) (remind you 2 years later... Chirico's first year..... the tigers take Pikeville to the wire)
2010 11-2 (lost in regional final)
2009 8-4 (lost in 2nd round of playoffs)
2008 8-4 (lost in 2nd round of playoffs)
2007 6-5 (lost in 1st round of playoffs)
2006 4-6 (losing record, didn't make the playoffs and beat Paintsville in regular season 28-14)

So yes as the talent fluctuates Paintsville (with a good coaching staff) will be able to compete for regional and state finals. And yes as a previous poster said, those who aren't making the cut at JC will go to Paintsville to see immediate playing time. Which will turn into experience and quality depth over the course of their high school careers.

With all that said I do think the Tigers will take it on the chin this year at Fairview and Raceland. But to go from the depth of He... to a winning season in just one year I consider that a huge leap for the program. GO TIGERS!!!!:Cheerlead:Cheerlead
Paintsville may keep this one close for a few series then Johnson Central turns it loose.

That I will agree with you on.
Ike Cooter Wrote:Read my first post..... No one said anything about Paintsville making it to the state finals this year. I said give Chririco a few years and this program will be back to where it once was.

As far as knowing Fairview..... I do know they are not Highlands who is dominating year in and year out. Here is Fairview w-l back to 2006 according to KHSAA
2012 14-1 state runner up (who knows if this has ever happened before in their school history)
2011 12-1 (lost to Pikeville regional final) (remind you 2 years later... Chirico's first year..... the tigers take Pikeville to the wire)
2010 11-2 (lost in regional final)
2009 8-4 (lost in 2nd round of playoffs)
2008 8-4 (lost in 2nd round of playoffs)
2007 6-5 (lost in 1st round of playoffs)
2006 4-6 (losing record, didn't make the playoffs and beat Paintsville in regular season 28-14)

So yes as the talent fluctuates Paintsville (with a good coaching staff) will be able to compete for regional and state finals. And yes as a previous poster said, those who aren't making the cut at JC will go to Paintsville to see immediate playing time. Which will turn into experience and quality depth over the course of their high school careers.

With all that said I do think the Tigers will take it on the chin this year at Fairview and Raceland. But to go from the depth of He... to a winning season in just one year I consider that a huge leap for the program. GO TIGERS!!!!:Cheerlead:Cheerlead

Yeah, but Fairview is a whole nother animal now....
ShadeTree Wrote:Paintsville may keep this one close for a few series then Johnson Central turns it loose.

That would be true..... If this game was being played.