Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
This Weeks History-1999 Class 3A
I figure i would bring up a little history every week, hopefully with the help of many of you, in remembering some great games of the past.
The first year, one of my favorites, was the 1999 season and 3A football that year.
Im partial to this season, mostly because I was actually playing all those years ago, and it was a fun year. It may be one of the most competetive times for mountain footballs 3A schools that year, but statewide, the teams were ridicolously good.

Ill start with 3A region 4.
In one district, you had Whitley, Bell, Knox, Knott, Cawood, and Rock.
What a battle that year was. Knox, Knott, and Cawood were all at the bottom of the pack, so i wont go in depth with them.
However, Bell, Rock, and Whitley all had a triangle of wins. Whitley beat Bell by 4, Bell beat Rock by 12, and Rock beat Whitley by 1.
At the end of the year, Bell won the tiebreaker and got the one seed.
It was
1. Bell
2. Rock
3. Whitley
4. Cawood

To give you a little regular season perspective, Bell went 8-2 in the regular season with wins over Corbin, Glasgow, and Mboro, with there only losses to Whitley and Tates Creek (who went to the state semis in 4A) They finished 9-3 that year.

Rock went 8-2 in the regular season with wins over South Laurel (4A 3rd round) Whitley, and Harrison County with there only regular season losses coming to Bell and Southwestern (2A team who had a spectacular year, with only a one point loss to Boyle County who was 2A state champions and went 9-1 but choked in the first round of the playoffs and lost to Bullitt East finishing there year at 9-2) They finished 10-3 that year.

Whitley went 8-2, like the others, with wins over Mboro, Scott, and Bell, with losses to Bellevue in the first game of the year without starting QB, (and Bellevue went 12-1 with there only loss coming to Beechwood who was 1A state champs) They finished 8-3 overall.

As for the opposing district in the region, Sheldon Clark, Lawrence County, Greenup County, and Ashland finished in that order.Other teams in that district included Rowan County, Magoffin County, and East Carter.
So it was...
1. Sheldon Clark
2. Lawrence County
3. Greenup County
4. Ashland
Sheldon Clark went 10-0 that season under Jim Matney. And what a year it was beating several teams, and pulling off a close win over Lawrence County in the regular season.

Lawrence County may have broke the mold as far as putting up points and putting up a lot of them. They went 9-1 in the regular season, and 12-2 overall. Im not positive, but i believe them, along with Highlands are close to the top of the record books for that year as Lawrence only scored under 40 points once that season in there 18-16 loss to Sheldon Clark, and even scored more than 40 in the playoffs every game except for there 36 point game against Highlands in the state semis.

Greenup had a so so year finishing 6-4 in the regular season and 6-5 overall.

Ashland also had a so so year finishing 4-6 in the regular season and 4-7 overall.

Now, on to the playoffs...
All the favorites won in the first roun as higher seed dominated.

In the first round, the one seed Bell County picked up a 41-7 win over the four seed Ashland.

The two seed Lawrence County picked up a 68-20 win over the three seed Whitley County

The one seed Sheldon Clark beat the four seed Cawood 51-22.

And the two seed Rockcastle County picked up a 29-15 win over the three seed Greenup County.

In the second round, everything fell apart for Sheldon Clark against Rockcastle. As heavy favorites, Sheldon Clark fell apart and lost at home 31-14 to Rock. I remember that like it was yesterday. I still cant believe it. However, except for there loss to Bell, Rock was very good. A lot of people underestimated them.

In the other second round matchup, Lawrence County laid it to Bell 40-8. A lot of people didnt know how this would go, but LC took the game early.

That set up the region championship between Rock and Lawrence County. Rock hosted as the two seed over Lawrence who was a one seed because it was there regions turn to host. Lawrence never looked back with that high powered offense and won 48-14.

It still makes me think of what could have happened had Sheldon Clark not lost in the second round. They had already beaten Lawrence and what a turn of events and Rock beats SC but gets killed by Lawrence.

Lawrence County went on to win the region and lose to Highlands in the state semis by a team you might have heard of....Highlands by a score of 76-36

Highlands also put up A LOT of points that year, and won the state title.

What a year it was. Football was really good that year.
Im interested in others thoughts from different regions and district, as well as players and coaches and a where are they now kind of thing...
good post. i was at the rock vs. lawrence co. game. i went that is game, because i though Breathitt co. would kill Middlesboro in the rematch that night. but Middlesboro beat them in another close game. i can't remember the score, but it was a td game. the first time it was 1 point game.
^
Hopefully, many members will have some thoughts on the yer and 3A for 99.
I remember that year very well being a LC fan. A little history about that LC team. That was the year sophomore Michael West come from no where and dominated with his speed. Current LC offensive cooridinator Alan Short played Qb. Senior WR Gerad Parker who went on to play WR for UK and is now recruiting cooridinator and TE's coach at Purdue. Sophomore Dontae Wright played some safety that year and went on to play college football at Miami of Ohio.

This was probably the most talented LC team that I've seen. The Dawgs couldn't stop Highlands spread passing attack led by former University of Cincinnati QB Gino Guidugli. Their leading WR Brett Hamblen went on to play for UK. They also had other D1 players including the big OL that signed with UT (Rod Smith???). Highlands and the Bulldogs traded scores all night but LC coughed it up something like 6 times that night.

I think about that game sometimes and wonder what would've been had LC not fumbled it so much. Highlands couldn't stop the Bulldogs rushing attack.
I also remember the Sheldon Clark vs LC matchup in the season. The Sheldon Clark defense was a typical hard nosed Jim Matney defense that year. Former junior LC Bulldog Brett Simpkins was one of the leading play makers on that defense.

Sheldon Clark shut down Michael West and the Dawgs all night until Chuke Williams took out the inexperienced Michael West in the 4th quarter and put in Pike Central transfer Larry Paul Thornsberry. Larry Paul drove the ball down field getting 10-15 yards a carry. LC scored and made it 16-18. LC defense held strong. LC drove down the field again and got to around the 10 yard line but time had almost expired. LC lined up to kick the field goal for the win when Sheldon Clark blocks the FG as time expired.
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:Lawrence County may have broke the mold as far as putting up points and putting up a lot of them. They went 9-1 in the regular season, and 12-2 overall. Im not positive, but i believe them, along with Highlands are close to the top of the record books for that year as Lawrence only scored under 40 points once that season in there 18-16 loss to Sheldon Clark, and even scored more than 40 in the playoffs every game except for there 36 point game against Highlands in the state semis.

According to the KHSAA record book (http://khsaa.org/records/football/statef...ecords.pdf), the 1999 Lawrence County team is in 5th place for the most points scored in a season with 767. The 1999 Highlands team is in 13th place with 730 points that season.
Frozenbird Wrote:According to the KHSAA record book (http://khsaa.org/records/football/statef...ecords.pdf), the 1999 Lawrence County team is in 5th place for the most points scored in a season with 767. The 1999 Highlands team is in 13th place with 730 points that season.

I knew LC had to be way up there.
As i said, they only scored less than 40 twice, once against Sheldon Clark in a 18-16 loss. (I wish someone would comment on that game, id like to here the thoughts) and against Highlands in a 76-36 loss.
WildDawg Wrote:I remember that year very well being a LC fan. A little history about that LC team. That was the year sophomore Michael West come from no where and dominated with his speed. Current LC offensive cooridinator Alan Short played Qb. Senior WR Gerad Parker who went on to play WR for UK and is now recruiting cooridinator and TE's coach at Purdue. Sophomore Dontae Wright played some safety that year and went on to play college football at Miami of Ohio.

This was probably the most talented LC team that I've seen. The Dawgs couldn't stop Highlands spread passing attack led by former University of Cincinnati QB Gino Guidugli. Their leading WR Brett Hamblen went on to play for UK. They also had other D1 players including the big OL that signed with UT (Rod Smith???). Highlands and the Bulldogs traded scores all night but LC coughed it up something like 6 times that night.

I think about that game sometimes and wonder what would've been had LC not fumbled it so much. Highlands couldn't stop the Bulldogs rushing attack.

Good info.
This is the type of info im looking for.
I would love for all of these teams to have someone post about them.
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:^
Hopefully, many members will have some thoughts on the yer and 3A for 99.

I noticed in your original post you mentioned Southwestern had a great year. They were also 3A, not 2A that year. They lost only 2 games. A 1 point loss to Boyle and to Bullitt East in the first round of the playoffs. Bullitt East was a 4 seed but had a bunch of injuries and wasn't healthy until the playoffs. They had the most talent in their district once they were healthy. The Warriors had a couple of D-I players on that team in Scott Blair and DT Boon. They beat Rockcastle to death 42-13.
Walt Longmire Wrote:I noticed in your original post you mentioned Southwestern had a great year. They were also 3A, not 2A that year. They lost only 2 games. A 1 point loss to Boyle and to Bullitt East in the first round of the playoffs. Bullitt East was a 4 seed but had a bunch of injuries and wasn't healthy until the playoffs. They had the most talent in their district once they were healthy. The Warriors had a couple of D-I players on that team in Scott Blair and DT Boon. They beat Rockcastle to death 42-13.

My mistake, you correct.
I knew SW was 3A, must of had a brain fart on that one.
There loss to Boyle that year, by one point, was Boyles closest game by far, other than there Lex Cath games that were also close.
I didnt know that about Bullitt East, thats the type of info im looking for.
I had no clue. I thought they just caught wind in the playoffs lol.
Good info Walt.
WildDawg Wrote:I remember that year very well being a LC fan. A little history about that LC team. That was the year sophomore Michael West come from no where and dominated with his speed. Current LC offensive cooridinator Alan Short played Qb. Senior WR Gerad Parker who went on to play WR for UK and is now recruiting cooridinator and TE's coach at Purdue. Sophomore Dontae Wright played some safety that year and went on to play college football at Miami of Ohio.

Hamblen went to UK, but immediately got into trouble for starting a fire in a dorm. I think he went to UC for a while, but I don't know that he ever did much, if any, playing for the Bearcats.

LC might have been the second best team in 3A that year, but Dixie and Owensboro could both make that claim also. First was never up for question.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
The Cannon Still Roars.....
RUITG, this is a great thread, I love this kind of discussion.

Whether the topic is current or historical like this one, a well presented discussion that is engaging and interesting is frankly what I come to BGR to participate in.

I think this type of content is your strong suit. If I may say so, you should focus your time and energy towards presenting threads like this rather than trying to be the instigator or pot stirrer. I respect the heck out of this type of well thought out thread and I know without question that BGR is a better place for it.

In short, good job and keep it coming. :Thumbs:
Buc-a-roo Wrote:RUITG, this is a great thread, I love this kind of discussion.

Whether the topic is current or historical like this one, a well presented discussion that is engaging and interesting is frankly what I come to BGR to participate in.

I think this type of content is your strong suit. If I may say so, you should focus your time and energy towards presenting threads like this rather than trying to be the instigator or pot stirrer. I respect the heck out of this type of well thought out thread and I know without question that BGR is a better place for it.

In short, good job and keep it coming. :Thumbs:

If you understood my rivalry with the Harlan County faithful, you'd understand the threads from the past couple of weeks.
It wasnt a knock on Belfry, you all just got pulled into it. Trust me when i say, thats not what i peronally believe or think. Its my way of getting at our biggest rival :biggrin:
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:If you understood my rivalry with the Harlan County faithful, you'd understand the threads from the past couple of weeks.
It wasnt a knock on Belfry, you all just got pulled into it. Trust me when i say, thats not what i peronally believe or think. Its my way of getting at our biggest rival :biggrin:
I understand that completely, but trust me when I say, it did not flatter you. Rather than "getting at" Harlan County's fans, it served more to make you look like a rearend.

But I digress. My point here is this is the type of effort that is much more deserving of your attention. Again, great thread.
My brother was the Qb for that SC team that went 10-0. Good group of players. Hard to believe how far this program has fallen.
I miss those days. The 4 class system meant better football and even a four seed had to earn its way into the playoffs. Now everyone gets in and it's diluted the regular season.
Cardinals ride Wrote:My brother was the Qb for that SC team that went 10-0. Good group of players. Hard to believe how far this program has fallen.

I remember your brother. He was a very good QB that didn't make many mistakes. That Sheldon Clark team had a bunch of really good players. I agree it's hard to believe how far the Cardinals have fallen. LC can be put into that same conversation. It goes to show you how good Matney and Chuke Williams coached/coaches the game.

I'm hopeful Alan Short can bring back that level of play at LC because the talent is there. A lot of LC coaching staff was on that 99 team so they know what it takes to win ball games.
Cardinals ride Wrote:My brother was the Qb for that SC team that went 10-0. Good group of players. Hard to believe how far this program has fallen.

I actually played against your brother.
Any info on that season?

How many times did Matney go 10-0?
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:I actually played against your brother.
Any info on that season?

How many times did Matney go 10-0?

2006 at Johnson Central, he did...
WildDawg Wrote:I also remember the Sheldon Clark vs LC matchup in the season. The Sheldon Clark defense was a typical hard nosed Jim Matney defense that year. Former junior LC Bulldog Brett Simpkins was one of the leading play makers on that defense.

Sheldon Clark shut down Michael West and the Dawgs all night until Chuke Williams took out the inexperienced Michael West in the 4th quarter and put in Pike Central transfer Larry Paul Thornsberry. Larry Paul drove the ball down field getting 10-15 yards a carry. LC scored and made it 16-18. LC defense held strong. LC drove down the field again and got to around the 10 yard line but time had almost expired. LC lined up to kick the field goal for the win when Sheldon Clark blocks the FG as time expired.

What a great year for mountain football!
This was a great year to watch and following because the teams that are mentioned in the playoff run for Lawrence was a combined 6-8 losses. It shows how much of a mission Lawrence was on in their playoff run. Michael West got cramps late in the game and scored the only 2 touchdowns that Lawrence county had on a punt return and run from scrimmage; he also didn't start a game until his 3 game of the season, played only until halftime in other games and still rushed for 2,700 yds. This team was a thrill to watch, Gerad Parker, Josh Diamond (had over 200 tackles that season I believe), Alan Short, Larry Thornsberry, Dontae Wright, Travis Hughes, Alan Short, excellent line, all the trimmings for one of the mountains greatest teams and talent on the field. I would have loved to see the SC Lawrence rematch in the regional finals but really don't think it would have mattered. Great coaching, players, community, opponents, and ol Bulldog Vanhoose made this one of the greatest times in Louisa but once again as many mountain teams have done, they ran into the Bluebird express. Bell, SC, Whitney, and Rock were really great football teams from watching this run. Also, I believe highlands was ranked nationally with quarterback Gino G. (His last name is tough but he played at Cincinnati). Good times!
Bell County had a excellent team as well with Greer, Durrell White, Shawn Robbins, and many others. Rock had one of the greatest teams they ever had which they were ended by highlands the year after with a great chance at state. SC had the Delong kid and many others. Thinking back to that era I keep remembering all the great players in the mountains.
^
White was a stuf at Mboro, not Bell.
I know what you mean though. Robbins is still one of the better high school backs i have ever seen, but was later on.
inspiron Wrote:Rock had one of the greatest teams they ever had which they were ended by highlands.

Far from one of best Rock teams but we did overachieve that season. Just about everyone that played that season for Rock was a sophomore or junior which led to the following two years being really great. That year was really the breakout year for Rock that started the dominance throughout the mid to late 2000's. Rock was hard in early 1990's but had a an average year of 6-5 in 1998 and never looked back until late 2000's.

Didn't the DeLong kid at Sheldon Clark get killed, I had always heard that.

Robbins at Bell County didn't come along till 2003-2004.

The whole district in both regions were loaded that season.
3wishes Wrote:Far from one of best Rock teams but we did overachieve that season. Just about everyone that played that season for Rock was a sophomore or junior which led to the following two years being really great. That year was really the breakout year for Rock that started the dominance throughout the mid to late 2000's. Rock was hard in early 1990's but had a an average year of 6-5 in 1998 and never looked back until late 2000's.

Your right the runs were later but I still think of the players Rock had at the time on the field. What were some? Bussell, Regan, the QB was a stud, and who was the middle linebacker, please correct me because I can't remember? For Bell Durrell was on the field but just like some of Lawrence players they were sophomores like West and Wright that stood out. Who was bell counties backfield? I know they had a special group that year
I was at the Sheldon Clark/LC game in 99. Only being 6th grade, I just remember a few specific things. The crowd was awesome and I can remember how important of a game it was for our program. I was an avid fan of high school sports when I was younger. Back then there were no resources like the internet today. I remember, that I couldn't wait to get home to watch Sports Overtime. I believe LC was #1 in the mountain top 10. We were probably ranked 3-5 and I figured the win was enough to catapult us to the top. Speaking of the Blue Bird express. If anyone remembers, we hosted them the previous year in the state semis. They were led by none other than the hefty left and Derek Smith. It ended up being a 16 point game. Something like 28-44, but it didn't feel that close. The 2000 Sheldon Clark team was probably the best in school history. Tons of good high school football players and a lot of seniors. Got beat by Rock again at home 7-6. Went for 2, Jim Matney style but fail to convert.
3wishes Wrote:Far from one of best Rock teams but we did overachieve that season. Just about everyone that played that season for Rock was a sophomore or junior which led to the following two years being really great. That year was really the breakout year for Rock that started the dominance throughout the mid to late 2000's. Rock was hard in early 1990's but had a an average year of 6-5 in 1998 and never looked back until late 2000's.

He had a brain aneurysm. Legitimate D-1 talent. Had the skill, just not the will.