Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Top 10 NKY Football Rivalries
This is my top 10 what are yours;

1. Highlands - Cov Cath (probably will always be the top rivalry)

2. Newcath - Beechwood (always a great game)

3. Ryle - SK (this game has really became a rivalry since 2008 and especially after the 2010 playoff game and the famous "Ruck Fyle" shirts there student section wore.)

4. Bellevue - Dayton (I think the history on this game alone speaks for itself.)

5. Campbell - Sk (District seeding seem to of came down to this game multiple times over the past few seasons)

6. Highlands - Dixie (I always like this rivalry even though Highlands almost always got the win)

7. Conner - Cooper (A newer rivalry but none the less has become a good one with how well the teams have played over the past few seasons.

8. Boone - Ryle (Used to be one of the best rivalries around but with Boones program on a steady decline the past few seasons it has died down.)

9. Beechwood - Cov Cath (wish they would renew this one)

10. Gallatin County -Walton Verona (this is a rivalry in all sports between the two.)
Number 10 Owen and gallatin. Been rivals sense the 50s as well as Carroll county . Walton is a rival but not as big as Owen and gallatin
CCH vs Beechwood has never stopped. They play every year.
TNT-MB1 Wrote:This is my top 10 what are yours;

1. Highlands - Cov Cath (probably will always be the top rivalry)

2. Newcath - Beechwood (always a great game)

3. Ryle - SK (this game has really became a rivalry since 2008 and especially after the 2010 playoff game and the famous "Ruck Fyle" shirts there student section wore.)
4. Bellevue - Dayton (I think the history on this game alone speaks for itself.)

5. Campbell - Sk (District seeding seem to of came down to this game multiple times over the past few seasons)

6. Highlands - Dixie (I always like this rivalry even though Highlands almost always got the win)

7. Conner - Cooper (A newer rivalry but none the less has become a good one with how well the teams have played over the past few seasons.

8. Boone - Ryle (Used to be one of the best rivalries around but with Boones program on a steady decline the past few seasons it has died down.)

9. Beechwood - Cov Cath (wish they would renew this one)

10. Gallatin County -Walton Verona (this is a rivalry in all sports between the two.)

Classy move by SK administration for allowing the students section to wear those T-Shirts. To me heads should have rolled for that one.

I do not see HHS-Dixie being any kind of rivalry. I would put HHS/Ryle as more of a rival but even that is not much of one.

Cov Cath/HHS will always be a huge rivalry especially if they stay in the same class because a lot of times the winner of this game will be the state champ.
I should of included Owen I totally forgot about that.

I don't agree with the fact that they were allowed to wear them but it definitely increased the rivalry. The coaches brought it up in the locker room and Ryle came out fired up.

I would agree on the Ryle vs. HHs rivalry but the Dixie vs Highlands games were always fun because of the competitive student sections

And I copy and pasted the Beechwood vs. Covcath rivalry and forgot to delete the last part. Sorry about that.
As to #1, doesn't one team have to at least consistently come w/in single digits to be considered a rival. Lord knows that CovCath isn't beating Highlands.
Highlands vs Newport Central Catholic was a BIG rivalry, bigger than Cov Cath, before NCC stopped playing Highlands around 1984. In part, this was due to the fact that so many of the NCC players lived in Ft Thomas.

Given that my father and uncle graduated from New Cath, my cousins went to New Cath, my grandfather was a big New Cath fan and I was going to Highlands, there was alot of familial conflict around that game for me.

The week prior to the game also always involved a fair amount of vandalism of the football facilities at both schools (I remember a number of years where someone painted a large NC over the H on the 50 yard line of the Highlands field) and I remember a number of fights at local restaurants after the game when Highlands and New Cath fans would run into each other. (I specifically remember a conflict in the parking lot of the Dixie Chili on Monmouth street in Newport which I got sucked into my junior year.)

Sort of wish that that rivalry would resume.
Boone-Conner
I remember story of from the early 1960's about the Gallatin basketball team won the game and went spit on the Owen fans section and big fight broke out.and in 09 a couple owenton kids got in trouble for mooning the lady wildcats softball team.
Frozenbird Wrote:Highlands vs Newport Central Catholic was a BIG rivalry, bigger than Cov Cath, before NCC stopped playing Highlands around 1984. In part, this was due to the fact that so many of the NCC players lived in Ft Thomas.

Given that my father and uncle graduated from New Cath, my cousins went to New Cath, my grandfather was a big New Cath fan and I was going to Highlands, there was alot of familial conflict around that game for me.

The week prior to the game also always involved a fair amount of vandalism of the football facilities at both schools (I remember a number of years where someone painted a large NC over the H on the 50 yard line of the Highlands field) and I remember a number of fights at local restaurants after the game when Highlands and New Cath fans would run into each other. (I specifically remember a conflict in the parking lot of the Dixie Chili on Monmouth street in Newport which I got sucked into my junior year.)

Sort of wish that that rivalry would resume.

Having a family member graduate from NewCath, when I was growing up use to attend this game every year. Was always intense, hard-hitting, and usually came down to the last drive. Felt like the civil war broke out. :ChairHit:
sstack Wrote:Classy move by SK administration for allowing the students section to wear those T-Shirts. To me heads should have rolled for that one.

I do not see HHS-Dixie being any kind of rivalry. I would put HHS/Ryle as more of a rival but even that is not much of one.

Cov Cath/HHS will always be a huge rivalry especially if they stay in the same class because a lot of times the winner of this game will be the state champ.

Agree with you stack about the shirts.I always enjoyed watching some of the rich Ryle moms openly drinking wine and giving our players the bird, all while the fabulous Boone Co. Police stood around doing squat. :Shaking: Just not a good example by nobody.
^Has became the nature of the gameand trust me it happens on both sides of the stands lol.
I've been a player to witness it and a fan to as well. My opinion it is definetly the nastiest rivalry on and off the field as you look back at a multitude of instances. Makes it alot more fun though.
I just like it when it all stays on the field during the game. There have been some terrific ball games in recent years, just don't like when you hear students from one side goes to the other school and does damage to there campus. Not proclaiming innocence for any school cause we all know kids make poor decisions at that age. I'm gratefull of how nice our schools are for our kids. I remember when I went thru SK many moons ago. It's 100% better now then back then.
Beechwood/CovCath was always a biggie
CovCath/Boone was a good one at one point
Scott/SK had a nice one going though most of the 1990's
Beechwood/Dixie is huge! It's all I hear about at work for weeks preceeding it from those tied to both schools.

As for Campbell County, I understand why SK is listed, but there is only ONE rivalry game for Campbell County, and that is New Cath. That's it, none other. In the county, the talk is more about Ryle each year than any other 6A school, though it may not be a rivalry for Ryle, the Camels have that game checked every summer! Too many heartbreaking losses to Ryle in the playoffs over the last 10 years. But again, New Cath and CCHS is a rivalry that can be high up on the list with players and families living next door to each other from Southgate, Cold Spring up through Alexandria!
Like the CovCath/ NewCath games. Hey NKY, when Scott and SK played back in the 80's it was huge cause usually it was the only chance for a victory all year.
I feel like all the 6a district games are pretty decent rivalries. I will say in a biased opinion the rivalries are stronger when it comes to Ryle probably because of the fact of close playoff victories over the past decade.
hop24 Wrote:Like the CovCath/ NewCath games. Hey NKY, when Scott and SK played back in the 80's it was huge cause usually it was the only chance for a victory all year.
:Thumbs: no kidding
1. Highlands vs. CovCath
2. NewCath vs. Beechwood
3. Simon Kenton vs. Ryle
4. Beechwood vs. CovCath vs. Dixie
5. Cooper vs. Conner
6. Bellevue vs. Dayton
7. Ryle vs. Boone County
8. NewCath vs. Campbell County
9. Holy Cross vs. Holmes
10. Lloyd vs. Newport
Bellevue vs Newport - the battle of the overpass
^ In recent years, the most interesting battle is UNDER the overpass, and it has nothing to do with football....
Always liked the Bellevue/ Dayton game, just don't get caught wearing the wrong color on the other side of the street.
hop24 Wrote:Always liked the Bellevue/ Dayton game, just don't get caught wearing the wrong color on the other side of the street.

I lived in Dayton for 8 years, there were incidents that scared a young boy on Friday nights....:igiveup:
Stardust Wrote:I lived in Dayton for 8 years, there were incidents that scared a young boy on Friday nights....:igiveup:

Remember going there as a senior. There stadium lights went out right before the start of the game. Didn't think I was ever going to see Independence again.
hop24 Wrote:Remember going there as a senior. There stadium lights went out right before the start of the game. Didn't think I was ever going to see Independence again.

Freshman year (1980) at the game in Dayton had a Dayton kid pull a knife on me while walking to the concession stand. Thank goodness for the very large Highlands upperclassman who came up behind him and lifted him off his feet in a bear hug and squeezed until the kid dropped the knife.
[quote=Frozenbird]Freshman year (1980) at the game in Dayton had a Dayton kid pull a knife on me while walking to the concession stand. Thank goodness for the very large Highlands upperclassman who came up behind him and lifted him off his feet in a bear hug and squeezed until the kid dropped the knife.[/QUOThat horrible but remember hearing a story about Bishop brossart cutting. Newcath horse. statute head
ok then
rebel 4 life Wrote:[quote=Frozenbird]Freshman year (1980) at the game in Dayton had a Dayton kid pull a knife on me while walking to the concession stand. Thank goodness for the very large Highlands upperclassman who came up behind him and lifted him off his feet in a bear hug and squeezed until the kid dropped the knife.[/QUOThat horrible but remember hearing a story about Bishop brossart cutting. Newcath horse. statute head

Sorry About that just I heard a story about brossart cutting newcath horse head off
I remember the NC vs Newport game was a good rivalry. Nothing like knocking a couple heads in the McDonalds parking lot after the game.
TNT-MB1 Wrote:I would agree on the Ryle vs. HHs rivalry but the Dixie vs Highlands games were always fun because of the competitive student sections.

The best part of the Highlands-Dixie games was always seeing how long it took before one of the Dixie players had a meltdown in the second half. They had one decent team as far back as I remember, and the recent versions were always marked by an almost complete lack of discipline.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
The Cannon Still Roars.....