Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Belfry & Richlands???
Any updates on how the Pirates look?
The last text I got on it was Belfry 3 tds Richland 0
I wish I would have went. My uncle is a huge Richlands fan.
I will get an in depth survey later... what I have so far is:

"Line doesn't look that rough"
"Backs are really, really good"
" Fast defense.. will hit you..but not ready for Somerset"
Apparently there are 3 teams that Belfry is scrimmaging tonight. Richlands, Marion (didn't do too well against them) and another team I don't know but we apparently dominated.
AtlPirateFan Wrote:Apparently there are 3 teams that Belfry is scrimmaging tonight. Richlands, Marion (didn't do too well against them) and another team I don't know but we apparently dominated.

The other team is George Wythe,, defending Champs in the Virginia equivalent of 1A... they were 14-1 last season
I hate Virginia classification. But I know all three are pretty good football teams, so it sounds like Belfry, is again, a contender.
Looking forward to some more in depth reporting of the action. I assumed Justin Johnson played RB tonight?
Alright:

- No Austin Hatfield tonight... don't know if injury or dog house..but no Hatfield.

- Said that format was different and actually ended up being really good. 10 plays vs. 10 plays...then switch out... JV got lots of PT on the other field doing the same. Maybe something worth doing in KY. Gave a lot of looks at different teams and gave the JV tons of good snaps vs. other JV's

- Belfry Varsity was the class of the field. Dominated Wythe. Richlands was a good quality team (think of a Pburg from a couple years ago), did not score on belfry 1's and Belfry put up 2 or 3 on Richlands 1's. Marion burnt Belfry for a couple scores.. was 2 to 2 1's vs. 1's.

- Sani looked good. Threw an accurate ball and threw a couple TD's. Johnson didn't get a lot of carries (probably not taking many chances, but did have a couple TD's). Carr spent time at FB and HB... Fletcher played FB and looked good. Needs to lower pad level but has lots of potential.

- Cole Bentley was at T.. looked good. Horton saw time at TE. Hall kid looked good out there and Woolum looked real good kicking.

- Austin Gibbs started at Tackle and looked solid. Barnes was dominant at times.

- Linebackers are the weak link right now. Not close to where they need to be for Belfry to play a team like Harlan County.

- Keaton and Sani were CB's..Keaton nearly killed a kid. He also got burnt against Marion..but he has the potential to be a darn good CB and Sani is Sani... consistent. Safety play needs to improve to match up with Somerset.

- Timmy May is at Phelps... said he wanted to go where he didn't have to play against his Belfry buddies. He will be a playmaker for them.. wish him the best.

- Not as many peanlties, fumbles, and missed blocking assignments as you usually see this early for Belfry..good sign.

- Team will be very good on offense..line is serviceable and improving. Not dominant..but has lots of potential and the backs can make them look better than they are. Defense... work in progress. Will take lumps on defense, but hang in there.
For our Virginia people:
- Said he felt Richlands was the second best team despite Marion playing Belfry closer. Really liked their team..no athletes like Belfry..but a team full of hardnosed kids who would hit you and played sound fundamentally. Could tell they were adjusting to the new season (either graduation or new coach) but they will be a solid team.

- Impressed with all three teams' numbers for their school size, especially Wythe for being a small school. Said Wythe was the weakest of the three but their JV had a lot of good talent and has a ton of upside. Reminded him of like a Hazard here in KY without the one or two playmakers Hazard always seems to have at WR.

- Good crowd for a scrimmage and the folks were very hospitable and complimentary..said he wouldn't mind seeing Belfry come down there every year for a scrimmage like this. Good competition..lots of reps..and diverse offenses
Also the Belfry JV was getting it handed to them at times supposedly... but he then reminded me though that 5 or 6 of the Freshmen were over on the Varsity field so not to worry about it HAHA
Thanks EKU. Catron play safety? Any competition at that spot or is it locked down?

LB has been the worry and it seems to be warranted. Hopefully we are talented enough but just need live action to learn.
PaytoPlay Wrote:Thanks EKU. Catron play safety? Any competition at that spot or is it locked down?

LB has been the worry and it seems to be warranted. Hopefully we are talented enough but just need live action to learn.

I think he said Catron sat out..injured I think... not 100% there on that though
thinks EKU, i really wanted to rub that score in on the Richlands/Belfry score on my buddy from Johnson City, he went to school there and always talked them up, and when i lived down there i thought they had some good teams,but i told him,i didnt think they could beat Belfry..
Looking forward to VHSL Helper's thoughts from what he saw from his viewpoint.. hope he had a chance to meet some of the handful of Pond Creekers who made the trek. I am flying blind in terms of expectations for what the VA teams had entering the season and would love to see what he thought of the Pirates and how they would stack up if they were over in the other Commonwealth.
well, I don't have much to say. Tonight was the 1st time I'd seen Richlands play in about 16 years... that's the worst part about being the in-studio guy... never get to see a game, unless it's somebody else, like going to Roanoke to see Wythe in the finals last year.
Hadn't been there 5 minutes when I ran into my boss and his wife (aka the sideline reporter) and we spent most of the night talking about the rules changes and other stuff, then the stat girl showed up, and I never got over to the other side. He also said the crowd was bigger than some of the road games he's done.

I heard someone say we'd prob. be 8-2 this year, with losses to WV AA power Bluefield & Union (the old Powell Valley), which runs a style similar to youralls.

Will say that I was impressed, but that was to be expected, and it showed that there's still work to be done if we want to make it to Dec. again. Will add that we did get into the end zone, but we still have that laundry problem left over from last year.

Maybe I'll have a better view after watching Grundy/Hurley/Twin Valley jam tomorrow afternoon.
VHSL-helper Wrote:well, I don't have much to say. Tonight was the 1st time I'd seen Richlands play in about 16 years... that's the worst part about being the in-studio guy... never get to see a game, unless it's somebody else, like going to Roanoke to see Wythe in the finals last year.
Hadn't been there 5 minutes when I ran into my boss and his wife (aka the sideline reporter) and we spent most of the night talking about the rules changes and other stuff, then the stat girl showed up, and I never got over to the other side. He also said the crowd was bigger than some of the road games he's done.

I heard someone say we'd prob. be 8-2 this year, with losses to WV AA power Bluefield & Union (the old Powell Valley), which runs a style similar to youralls.

Will say that I was impressed, but that was to be expected, and it showed that there's still work to be done if we want to make it to Dec. again. Will add that we did get into the end zone, but we still have that laundry problem left over from last year.

Maybe I'll have a better view after watching Grundy/Hurley/Twin Valley jam tomorrow afternoon.
:Thumbs:

Hope you get the chance to come over to Belfry sometime and experience a Pirate playoff game in Late November. Belfry is notorious for starting slow and finishing strong. When Belfry is firing on all cylinders they are a fun team to watch. This year's team has potential to be an offensive machine if the line can gel, but the Defense is going to be a serious project. CAM Stadium for a big game is a special atmosphere for a fan of HS Football. If you ever get a chance just let the Belfry fans on here know and I am sure they will put some good tailgate food in your stomach and find you a good seat.

Good luck to your Virginia squads this season.
Hatfield is out with a shoulder. Praying to God it's not severe (he was dressed) and Coach Haywood is just being careful. I might cry if not.
Catron was out due to an ankle injury and I think Hatfield was out with the same shoulder injury Cole had. Coles first action was wednesday in practice in over a week. They like to hold them out if they are hurt at all. Take care of the injuries and give them time to heal up.
EKUAlum05 Wrote::Thumbs:

Hope you get the chance to come over to Belfry sometime and experience a Pirate playoff game in Late November. Belfry is notorious for starting slow and finishing strong. When Belfry is firing on all cylinders they are a fun team to watch. This year's team has potential to be an offensive machine if the line can gel, but the Defense is going to be a serious project. CAM Stadium for a big game is a special atmosphere for a fan of HS Football. If you ever get a chance just let the Belfry fans on here know and I am sure they will put some good tailgate food in your stomach and find you a good seat.

Good luck to your Virginia squads this season.

Appreciate it. With this new system, we might have a Sat. game somewhere down the line. Gonna try to make it over to the PCB Sat. night and watch Hurley-ER, then stick around, since I don't see a need to rush back just to watch Va. Tech lose big to 'Bama.
EKUAlum05 Wrote:- Timmy May is at Phelps... said he wanted to go where he didn't have to play against his Belfry buddies. He will be a playmaker for them.. wish him the best.

Why isn't he at Belfry? And did he move to Phelps?
Buc-a-roo Wrote:Why isn't he at Belfry? And did he move to Phelps?

He quit football at Belfry and Coach Haywood did not allow him to come back out. Hope he does well at Phelps, I'll be there to watch him play next Friday @ Vipperman.
Timmy will probably be running the football for Phelps if I had to guess. Should be one of their best players.

How did the Belfry D-line play? Who played DE's with Hatfield out?
PaytoPlay Wrote:Timmy will probably be running the football for Phelps if I had to guess. Should be one of their best players.

How did the Belfry D-line play? Who played DE's with Hatfield out?

Jacob Francisco and Austin Hall are the two it seemed got the most reps.
Good to see belfry in the hunt.
Sounds like Belfry is Belfry. They turn out good teams every year. Are they good enough to make a run in November?
From the reporting here they were without Austin Hatfield who is an excellent FB and Catron who is competing for the starting safety position. Was anyone else held out?

Did Willis run the ball any with the varsity? What about K. Taylor? Who is playing WR other than Taylor? Edwards?
PaytoPlay Wrote:From the reporting here they were without Austin Hatfield who is an excellent FB and Catron who is competing for the starting safety position. Was anyone else held out?

Did Willis run the ball any with the varsity? What about K. Taylor? Who is playing WR other than Taylor? Edwards?

Johnson played and had a couple TD's but he was very limited in carries. Probably precautionary to limit the chance of injury with his concussion history. Carr, Fletcher, and the backups definitely took the Lion's share of carries in addition to Belfry working on the passing game. For Belfry to look as impressively as they did on offense this early it is actually a bit of a pleasant surprise considering they were without Hatfield and used Johnson so sparingly.

#19 was the other WR and made a TD catch.. Bostic kid maybe? Supposedly looked pretty good.

Willis saw some good snaps on offense and defense. Didn't hear if Keaton played any RB, but as the backup QB he threw a pretty TD pass supposedly.

Reitterate that LB was far and away a position of concern the other night. Don't know if Hatfield factors in to the discussion at that position.. as he would certainly add speed and a heavy set of shoulders.. but of the four positions needing addressed (OL, DE, LB, S).. the OL and DE apparently looked ok to good.. Safety was serviceable.. and LB was iffy.
While I was at the Grundy Huddle House last night the coaches from Twin Valley told me they had NEVER seen a team "dismantle" Richlands the way Belfry did. Their word.
prob. worst since the '08 semis when the Blues went to Lynchburg and got clobbered 47-0 by Brookville w/now Va. Tech Sr. QB Logan Thomas.