Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Prestonsburg's keys to Success
Who will be key players other than Jarrell and Anderson to get Blackcats to regional finals?
On the o-line, Spears has to be the leader. Collins has to step up. This is his year to shine. Goodman has to be consistent snaping the ball, but if he struggles Ray could step in. White and Perry will both have to have stellar years.
Backfield, Frazier has to be the man for short yardage situation. Ends and wideouts Goble, Stanley, Little, and Crider all need to be ready.
On D, Wallace needs to be the anchor at d-end. Ousley, Mullins, Jarrell, Walker, Ray and White give the Cats a lot of options at linebacker.
the d-line will see Spears and Holbrook at tackle. A d-end position must be filled with the departure or Holiday. Saftey and corner is very much in the air with a number of contenders.
the main keys will be the development of the O-line and the Defensive secondary including the linebackers. If those positions come along it could be a very good year for the Cats
^ Where did holiday go?
Heard he is not playing this year. Would love to see him back on the field.
^That is very suprising. I've heard Anderson wasn't playing but he's done that the last 3 seasons as well. What about Marcum, how is his rehab going and when will he be back?
hawg laig Wrote:On the o-line, Spears has to be the leader. Collins has to step up. This is his year to shine. Goodman has to be consistent snaping the ball, but if he struggles Ray could step in. White and Perry will both have to have stellar years.
Backfield, Frazier has to be the man for short yardage situation. Ends and wideouts Goble, Stanley, Little, and Crider all need to be ready.
On D, Wallace needs to be the anchor at d-end. Ousley, Mullins, Jarrell, Walker, Ray and White give the Cats a lot of options at linebacker.
the d-line will see Spears and Holbrook at tackle. A d-end position must be filled with the departure or Holiday. Saftey and corner is very much in the air with a number of contenders.
the main keys will be the development of the O-line and the Defensive secondary including the linebackers. If those positions come along it could be a very good year for the Cats
Anyone else on offense in the backfield?
Anderson is still playing baseball on a traveling squad, the same as he has done the previous three years. He usually gets on the football field late July. Heard Marcum's is progressing but will be out for the year. As for o-backs, I can't speculate, but assume you'll see some sophmores and juniors in the rotation.
Could be a long season for the Blackcats. Anderson, Frasure and Jarrell will get theirs, but who knows if Anderson will even play.

Not having Marcum will really hurt an already inexperienced defense. I don't look for much improvement if any from previous past few teams defense.

Like I said though, could be a long year for Pburg. Might be the best shot Betsy Layne has at beating them.
I agree with BCA. This season has the potiential to go either way. Could turn out great or could be a disaster. Anderson plays a huge role in the outcome.

Something I was thinking of, do you think they would go back to the running game this year. The line is huge and deep. You could have Anderson, Frasure and Ously in the backfilled and pound it out all night. I know that wouldn't please Jarrell at QB but I just don't see the passing game being very good with only 1 returning reciever. What do you guys think??
I think that it could add to the passing attack. Cats seemed to have relied heavily on pass in past and defenses knew this. I believe that they will be more balanced . Heard Goble kid has looked well catching ball. Also Chaitlin Jarrell and Reed may do some receiving. Also can have Ousley and Mullin kids at a true fullback position. Heard both are close to 6 ft and 215 lb
Prestonsburg needs to work in some type of system where they can run the ball effectively. Jarrell is a much better runner than he is a passer. His arm strength just isn't there. His receivers often ran too far down field last year, and Jarrell simply couldn't get the ball to them. Where Prestonsburg was effective in the passing game was when the play broke down, which it did a lot, and Jarrell was able to elude defenders and Anderson or Williams where able to get open and make a play.

If they're going to decide to run the air-raid again, it has to be short routes over the middle and bubble screens. Fades will work at times, but not often, especially with a safety over top, which is exactly how every defense will cover Anderson.
prestonburgs season isn't looking well for them there gunna have to get in there and get things done come july
Need a btter offenisive scheme. They change it evey year. Keep it consistant and work from that.
Pburg seems to change it every year.
Heard Blackcats will be attending Lex Cath, UK, and Morehead 7 on 7. Will be good opportunity to see possible receivers and backs for the Blackcats 2013-14
Who are the potential WR's other than Anderson? And what is the latest on Holiday? Still not heard anything other than what I've read above.
Receivers - Frazier. Anderson if plays,other possible Goble, Reed, Chaitlin Jarrell. Little, Crider,Evan Jarrell ???????
Backs out of backfield - Frazier , Anderson, Ousley, Mullins ???????
Brancher1978 Wrote:Receivers - Frazier. Anderson if plays,other possible Goble, Reed, Chaitlin Jarrell. Little, Crider,Evan Jarrell ???????
Backs out of backfield - Frazier , Anderson, Ousley, Mullins ???????

I would be totally surprised if Anderson decided not to play football his senior season.
Gotta learn to play defense.
Anderson is a gamer....he may show up when the lights come on, he will be the best player on the field for Prestonsburg ...even without practicing all summer..imagine how good he could be if he applied himself..coach D will play him no matter what, he really doesn't have much of a choice at this point..I can't say I blame him
Prestonsburg is going to struggle this year especially losing a guy like Williams who drew 2-3 defenders every night which only allowed 3 to 4 guys rushing and single coverage everywhere else. Just look at the belfry game when he was out with the concussion. Jarrell lived on his back all night with an experienced line in front of him and Anderson got killed. Anderson is the only key to success for this team and from what I've heard he is playing baseball with a travel team out of Lexington all fall. The experience isn't there and the O line, linebackers and skilled players aren't even close to being there either. Williams had receiving skills and return skills just as good as anyone in the states and even to an extent in the nation as he shown at the HSPD camp in West Virginia and the 7 on 7 tourneys around the state, and same for Anderson in a way. No one in that locker room has the athletic ability those two have and if Anderson doesn't play and with Williams graduating I don't see the district title being won by the cats this year. But ill root for them just like I always do and wish them the best!
campbell Wrote:Prestonsburg is going to struggle this year especially losing a guy like Williams who drew 2-3 defenders every night which only allowed 3 to 4 guys rushing and single coverage everywhere else. Just look at the belfry game when he was out with the concussion. Jarrell lived on his back all night with an experienced line in front of him and Anderson got killed. Anderson is the only key to success for this team and from what I've heard he is playing baseball with a travel team out of Lexington all fall. The experience isn't there and the O line, linebackers and skilled players aren't even close to being there either. Williams had receiving skills and return skills just as good as anyone in the states and even to an extent in the nation as he shown at the HSPD camp in West Virginia and the 7 on 7 tourneys around the state, and same for Anderson in a way. No one in that locker room has the athletic ability those two have and if Anderson doesn't play and with Williams graduating I don't see the district title being won by the cats this year. But ill root for them just like I always do and wish them the best!

Bryson was a huge lose as he was Mr. Everything. The kid literally played 7 positions during his time at Prestonsburg. You have to remember though Frasure was only a freshman last year and the sky is the limit for that kid. He is a total different style of player than Bryson, but I think the coaching staff will adjust accordingly. You of course will have Anderson who is the big play maker. Jarrell is as tough as they come for his size at QB. I also believe Ousley and Mullins will have an impact on offense. Marcum will also make a difference when he returns. Chatlin could also surprise a few this year. Those will probably be your play makers on offense. I have yet been able to get to a practice this year, so I am not sure how the defense is shaping up. I don't want to start naming names on defense because I am sure I will leave out a few.
I don't think the blackcats are going to have any problems putting points on the board this year. There biggest problem once again will be on defense. The defense seemed to improve as the year went on, but losing the Marcum kid to injury, and losing the best defensive players on last years team to graduation, will take a toll on the blackcats. If the defense can be average, I look for the blackcats to be in the running for a regional title, if not it could be another early playoff exit, and finishing runner up in the district. Good luck blackcats on the upcoming season.
Cat Daddy Wrote:I don't think the blackcats are going to have any problems putting points on the board this year. There biggest problem once again will be on defense. The defense seemed to improve as the year went on, but losing the Marcum kid to injury, and losing the best defensive players on last years team to graduation, will take a toll on the blackcats. If the defense can be average, I look for the blackcats to be in the running for a regional title, if not it could be another early playoff exit, and finishing runner up in the district. Good luck blackcats on the upcoming season.

I agree Cat Daddy.
I just don't see the fire power being there like it has in the past. If Anderson plays Prestonsburg is a C+ team if he isn't on the field they go to about a D or D-. I don't think you can compare Williams and Frasure, Bryson had the skill to put the team on his back as shown early in his career as a sophomore at 15 years old against valley and pikeville. Everyone has to realize Frasure is done maturing the kid is almost 17 years old and a sophomore. Williams played every position and was as football smart as you could come he knew what everyone's job on the field was and knew everything a quarterback needed to know as a wide receiver/running back. As far as the special teams come to lose a return guy like Williams who changed the field on every return and had the skill to make the big time return on any punt/kick. Williams had the vision of to know where everyone was coming from and where the holes were before the ball was even kicked. Anderson has the skill to do similar things but doesn't have the leadership Williams had. For prestonsburg to have alot of success they need to be good on defense and run clock and go to the running game because the fire power isn't there anymore. Alot will be shown in these early 7 on 7 tourneys around the state from how good jarrell is and how will jarrell do with a young inexperienced receiving core and how will this young receiving core do against faster defensive secondaries that can press and be good with zone coverage.
Williams was a good athlete...however I would have to take Anderson over him,always seems to be too much drama at Pburg....this time last year I thought they would be a 2A title contender especially next season.Alot has happened since then...They still have a good coach and one of the best quarterbacks in the mountains...Prestonsburg will still be a tough out.....
#1 Blackcat Fan Wrote:Bryson was a huge lose as he was Mr. Everything. The kid literally played 7 positions during his time at Prestonsburg. You have to remember though Frasure was only a freshman last year and the sky is the limit for that kid. He is a total different style of player than Bryson, but I think the coaching staff will adjust accordingly. You of course will have Anderson who is the big play maker. Jarrell is as tough as they come for his size at QB. I also believe Ousley and Mullins will have an impact on offense. Marcum will also make a difference when he returns. Chatlin could also surprise a few this year. Those will probably be your play makers on offense. I have yet been able to get to a practice this year, so I am not sure how the defense is shaping up. I don't want to start naming names on defense because I am sure I will leave out a few.

campbell Wrote:I just don't see the fire power being there like it has in the past. If Anderson plays Prestonsburg is a C+ team if he isn't on the field they go to about a D or D-. I don't think you can compare Williams and Frasure, Bryson had the skill to put the team on his back as shown early in his career as a sophomore at 15 years old against valley and pikeville. Everyone has to realize Frasure is done maturing the kid is almost 17 years old and a sophomore. Williams played every position and was as football smart as you could come he knew what everyone's job on the field was and knew everything a quarterback needed to know as a wide receiver/running back. As far as the special teams come to lose a return guy like Williams who changed the field on every return and had the skill to make the big time return on any punt/kick. Williams had the vision of to know where everyone was coming from and where the holes were before the ball was even kicked. Anderson has the skill to do similar things but doesn't have the leadership Williams had. For prestonsburg to have alot of success they need to be good on defense and run clock and go to the running game because the fire power isn't there anymore. Alot will be shown in these early 7 on 7 tourneys around the state from how good jarrell is and how will jarrell do with a young inexperienced receiving core and how will this young receiving core do against faster defensive secondaries that can press and be good with zone coverage.

First off Frasure is not 17 years old. Second if you read my post in its entirety you will see I specifically said he is a totally different style of player than Bryson, and the coaching staff would adjust accordingly.

I will have to disagree with you on the bolded section of your post. IMO, Bryson nor Grant are what I would consider a leader. Don't take that comment out of context either. Both are producers, but both lacked the vocal leadership a team needs. Again don't take that the wrong way. I see a leader as a teammate who will get in your face when you do something wrong on a play. Yet still have the respect of there peers to be able to do so. I'm not saying Bryson nor Grant don't have the respect of there peers, but they are not vocal they simply produce on the field. Which of course neither could do without the other 10 guys on the field with them. Bryson's production will most definitely be missed, but the problem IMO we had the last 2 years is a lack of leadership on the field.

These Blackcats need there swagger back. In the past you had players that just had a swagger on the field that brought life to the team. Some recent examples: the Craynor boys, Griffith boys, Austin McKinney, Nathan Slone, Michael Burchett, Trevor Stovall, and A. Gearheart. I know there's a few others, but those are the ones off top my head. These boys just need to get some fire in there belly's.
Can't win the derby on a donkey and Prestonsburg has lost all their thoroughbreds. I disagree with Cat Daddy, they barely beat Middlesboro last year who was the 4 seed in their district and they return everyone. I see this being another 1 and done year in the playoffs.
UpYours Wrote:Can't win the derby on a donkey and Prestonsburg has lost all their thoroughbreds. I disagree with Cat Daddy, they barely beat Middlesboro last year who was the 4 seed in their district and they return everyone. I see this being another 1 and done year in the playoffs.

The same thing was said in 2009 when the Blackcats went undefeated to the State Semifinals and lost to a very good Desales team with less than 10 seconds on the clock.

I don't get the one & done comment. Prestonsburg has lost the 1st game of the playoffs only 3 times in the past 15 years. It is not a regular occurrence.
#1 blackcat fan and bearcat88 I have coached against Williams for four years now he was hands down the hardest kid to have to scheme against and try to take care of and trust me we have played the Caleb Watkins, Storm Wilsons and Corey davenports. As far as it goes to the coaching staff adjusting that won't happen they haven't adjusted the past four years what Burchett, crisp, and jarrell have all ran the same stuff nothing has changed. They have ran the same 10 plays out of about 5 formations. Burchett had so much success cause he wasn't afraid of going away from the system but that what happens when you get a d1 athlete with a d1 arm. Crisp had a d1 arm but not athletic enough to play NAIA football, and jarrell isn't close to having a d1 arm and he is to small to play the position after high school. If it wasn't for Williams, grant Anderson wouldn't of played and I know that without a doubt is true because I heard that from a very reliable source. Same thing happened in basketball with the hall kid wanting to quit but Williams talked to him and convinced him to stay. If that's not leadership and caring for the team idk what is and he must of been a pretty strong leader for that senior class to make him the speaking captain for every game.
^^^Coached against him? Every single one of your posts are about him. hmmm.............
Prestonsburg will be just fine.