Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ravens to sign Elvis Dumervil
Elvis Dumervil has agreed to a multiyear contract with the Baltimore Ravens.

A league source told ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter that Dumervil's agreement is for five seasons and worth $35 million, including $8.5 million in Year 1.

The star defensive end's agreement with Baltimore was earlier reported by the Denver Post.

Dumervil became a free agent earlier this month after he was released by the Denver Broncos when paperwork for his reworked contract didn't make it back in time to the team. He had agreed to reduce his salary from $12 million to $8 million for next season.

Dumervil took to Twitter to say goodbye to the Broncos.

"Can't say enough about the Broncos fans, my great teammates, equipment staff, training staff, media staff, Mr. Bowlen, Coach Fox, John Elway and the city of Denver," Dumervil tweeted. "Its been an unforgettable 7 years. I am looking fwd to this next chapter of my career."

The Broncos had made other offers to re-sign Dumervil after his release.

"As we have from the start of this process, we worked diligently over the last week to find a way for Elvis Dumervil to remain a Denver Bronco. Although we made multiple contract offers to Elvis after being forced to release him, we were unable to reach an agreement and are now moving forward without him," Broncos executive vice president John Elway said in a statement.

"Elvis was a team captain and a talented player who made a great impact during his seven seasons in Denver. I appreciate all of his effort on the field and the work he did in the community. I wish Elvis all the best as he continues his NFL career," Elway said.

Dumervil signed a six-year, $61.5 million contract in 2010. He had 11 sacks last season, second on the team behind Von Miller. Dumervil led the league with 17 sacks in 2009.

He becomes a welcome addition to the Ravens, who have seen several key contributors to their Super Bowl victory leave this offseason.

Baltimore has released defensive back Bernard Pollard and guard Bobbie Williams, traded wide receiver Anquan Boldin to the 49ers, lost linebackers Dannell Ellerbe and Paul Kruger in free agency and watched linebacker Ray Lewis and center Matt Birk retire. Safety Ed Reed has signed a three year contract with the Texans.
Thanks to John Elway on messing up his paperwork Confusednicker:

Still think were falling apart SK?
Looks to me were getting better players....
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:Thanks to John Elway on messing up his paperwork Confusednicker:

Still think were falling apart SK?
Looks to me were getting better players....

I do. It wasn't Elway, they had to cut him or pay him excessive amounts which it appears Ozzie did anyways. It was obvious that Dumervil's agent screwed up & in all likelihood it was to try to rip the Broncos out of money. Evident by Dumervil firing his agent.

Will Dumervil play DE or OLB?? It appeared that Dumervil was ineffective at OLB in Denver. Maybe it will be different.
Good signing by the Ravens. I was hoping that the Steelers would try to sign him.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Well done.
Great pick up!
If you need any assistance or want to report a problem feel free to PM me and we will get it taken care of!  Thank you for choosing to be apart of the BGR community!
#BBFL
The Blue Blur Wrote:I do. It wasn't Elway, they had to cut him or pay him excessive amounts which it appears Ozzie did anyways. It was obvious that Dumervil's agent screwed up & in all likelihood it was to try to rip the Broncos out of money. Evident by Dumervil firing his agent.

Will Dumervil play DE or OLB?? It appeared that Dumervil was ineffective at OLB in Denver. Maybe it will be different.

From all the reports, Dumervil had agreed to take a 4 million pay cut to stay in Denver, but the paperwork just didnt get done in time. Who knows the true story....

As far as Dumervil goes, its untelling where he could end up. Im not worried about the Ravens offense. Other than Boldin, were pretty much set as far as the offense goes.
Now, as for defense, you bring up a good question. IMHO, it depends on who else the Ravens get. If they can sign a Harrison, then i think you'll see them slide him back to OLB, because the Ravens love to bring the OLB up to the line for a heavy rush, and they also like to bring the MLB, Lewis, up the middle on several different blitz packages. Nw that Lewis is retired, the MLB will most likely be a rookie or a not so good free agent, and i think you'll see them rushing the corners more instead of the middle and use the new MLB as a pass defense player.

Only time will tell. So far, the Ravens still need a good CB and MLB. The Defensive line is stacked.
Jarons Wrote:Good signing by the Ravens. I was hoping that the Steelers would try to sign him.

What will the Steelers do if they lose Harrison?
That defense is getting up there in age and im afraid there going to wait to long to replace that defense with valuable free agents.
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:From all the reports, Dumervil had agreed to take a 4 million pay cut to stay in Denver, but the paperwork just didnt get done in time. Who knows the true story....

As far as Dumervil goes, its untelling where he could end up. Im not worried about the Ravens offense. Other than Boldin, were pretty much set as far as the offense goes.
Now, as for defense, you bring up a good question. IMHO, it depends on who else the Ravens get. If they can sign a Harrison, then i think you'll see them slide him back to OLB, because the Ravens love to bring the OLB up to the line for a heavy rush, and they also like to bring the MLB, Lewis, up the middle on several different blitz packages. Nw that Lewis is retired, the MLB will most likely be a rookie or a not so good free agent, and i think you'll see them rushing the corners more instead of the middle and use the new MLB as a pass defense player.

Only time will tell. So far, the Ravens still need a good CB and MLB. The Defensive line is stacked.

Not that it is any of my concern but the D-Line does seem to be stacked. Here they lose their sack leader in Kreuger, but with a promising replacing me with Upshaw waiting in the wings. It seems they are loading up with edge rushers though. Returning their entire starting D-line, they have lost 3 LB's, 1 CB, & both starting safeties now. While edge rushers are valuable, I'd imagine their free agent concerns would go more toward the LB's & DB's. Yet they have signed only DE's. Canty who has the ability to play DT in the 4-3 as seen with the Giants, but was much more effective as a DE with the Cowboys in a 3-4 which is what the Ravens run. They have now signed Dumervil whose a proven DE but ineffective in the 3-4 as an OLB. I can't imagine him bringing his hand off the ground again. So now at DE they have Ngata whose a stalwart in the Ravens' defense, McPhee who proved himself at DE, Canty, & Dumervil. There's not enough room, is there?? I'm guessing they will go with speed up front. Ngata will probably play running downs outside with Canty. Then move back inside during passing downs. With Dumervil & McPhee on the edges during passing downs. The only thing I can figure is they are relying on the draft to get a MLB, & safeties. Hello Manti. LMAO. Sorry I had to do it. Not to mention I truly think he's still the best MLB in the draft outside of measurable. Which don't account for much when you put the pads on. With this D-line, he'd make plays as they would keep blocks off of him unlike his d-line mates during the BCS championship. I think it's a good fit.
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:What will the Steelers do if they lose Harrison?
That defense is getting up there in age and im afraid there going to wait to long to replace that defense with valuable free agents.

From what I have heard, they don't have enough under the cap to do much. They will what the Steelers always do,build with draft. IMO, that will not be enough, they still need about four o-linemen and a couple of running backs. I expect consecutive 6-10 seasons coming up.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Hey gut, seen you guys got Rolando McClain at MLB. Nice pickup. Guess no Manti or gay rallies for the Ravens this year after cutting Ayanbagayo earlier in the week. We got James Harrison in town, keeping my fingers crossed.
The Blue Blur Wrote:Hey gut, seen you guys got Rolando McClain at MLB. Nice pickup. Guess no Manti or gay rallies for the Ravens this year after cutting Adenbgayo earlier in the week.

YUP!
I seen that last night on ESPN.
If Mcclain gets his head right, he could be one of the best Lb's in the league.
The guy was an animal at Bama and hopefully he can slide in to Rays place and do a good job.
I called it a couple of months ago that we wouldnt draft a MLB to come in and start. However, if you remember i brought up an interesting point about the honey badger. We need a corner and IMO hes the best in the draft, but teams dont want him because of his problems.
Wouldnt be surprised to see us take a corner even if its not him.

Out D will still be stacked without Lewis and Reed.
In the NFL, thats where it all starts with most teams.

I think we'll be fine. Im very happy with Management for getting Dumerville and now Mcclain. The fradt will be interesting. If we dont get a corner we might take the best Center out there to replace another retiree.
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:YUP!
I seen that last night on ESPN.
If Mcclain gets his head right, he could be one of the best Lb's in the league.
The guy was an animal at Bama and hopefully he can slide in to Rays place and do a good job.
I called it a couple of months ago that we wouldnt draft a MLB to come in and start. However, if you remember i brought up an interesting point about the honey badger. We need a corner and IMO hes the best in the draft, but teams dont want him because of his problems.
Wouldnt be surprised to see us take a corner even if its not him.

Out D will still be stacked without Lewis and Reed.
In the NFL, thats where it all starts with most teams.

I think we'll be fine. Im very happy with Management for getting Dumerville and now Mcclain. The fradt will be interesting. If we dont get a corner we might take the best Center out there to replace another retiree.

Still not 100% confident that Dumervil can play OLB. McClain has the ability to be a beast but also has the tendency to be an idiot. Drafting Honey Badger, in the first round would be a mistake. He's undersized & another one with the tendency to be an idiot, but does have the intangibles to dominate a game. I still don't agree with letting Ed Reed go, he should've retired a Raven, period. I can see the Ravens either going center with Barrett Jones in the first round or safety with Eric Reid or Matt Elam.
^
There had to have been some underlying issues with Reed for him to be let go so easily.
Its no secret that Harbaugh has changed this team to an offense oriented team and relied on a veteran defense to take care of itself, and now that there gone, they have to make the right choices and so far I think were doing ok.
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:^
There had to have been some underlying issues with Reed for him to be let go so easily.
Its no secret that Harbaugh has changed this team to an offense oriented team and relied on a veteran defense to take care of itself, and now that there gone, they have to make the right choices and so far I think were doing ok.

You so sure about that?? Looking like Manti may be a possibility again after McClain just got arrested again. Be an interesting night for the Ravens come Thursday.
^
Not gonna happen.
RITUTG, what's your thoughts on the retirement of McClain?? Think Arthur Brown can solely fill in for Ray??
Mcclain obviously had issues that nobody completely knew about.
With Baltimores defense, it can change. The Ravens will probably pick up a free agent.
I havent been paying as much attention to it lately, but im sure somebody will fill the spot.
You cant blame the Ravens for trying Mcclain. The guy was an all american and 8th overall pick. He had the potential.
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:Mcclain obviously had issues that nobody completely knew about.
With Baltimores defense, it can change. The Ravens will probably pick up a free agent.
I havent been paying as much attention to it lately, but im sure somebody will fill the spot.
You cant blame the Ravens for trying Mcclain. The guy was an all american and 8th overall pick. He had the potential.

Nobody knew about them? I was well aware of them, only two years ago he was arrested for brandishing a gun, firing it & threatening his neighbor at his home inside the city limits of Decatur, AL.

Just this past November, the charges were dropped after he filed an appeal & settled financially with his neighbor.

So to say that no one knew, he was a ticking time bomb is ludicrous. Do I blame the Ravens, for taking a chance? No, of course not like you said he had all the potential but was an idiot.

If you haven't been keeping up, the Ravens drafted linebacker Arthur Brown from Kansas State. Brown's a good fit & I think he'll be a dandy, just not this year. I think they drafted Brown in hopes of him learning the game from McClain but obviously McClain isn't the ideal citizen, either.

I was just curious if you had any thoughts or insight as to what the Ravens plans were & your outlook on Arthur Brown. Obviously, not going to be able to filled Ray's void this year. The only free agent linebacker, that's considerable is Urlacher & I don't know if he's even a viable option for the money.
The Blue Blur Wrote:Nobody knew about them? I was well aware of them, only two years ago he was arrested for brandishing a gun, firing it & threatening his neighbor at his home inside the city limits of Decatur, AL.

Just this past November, the charges were dropped after he filed an appeal & settled financially with his neighbor.

So to say that no one knew, he was a ticking time bomb is ludicrous. Do I blame the Ravens, for taking a chance? No, of course not like you said he had all the potential but was an idiot.

If you haven't been keeping up, the Ravens drafted linebacker Arthur Brown from Kansas State. Brown's a good fit & I think he'll be a dandy, just not this year. I think they drafted Brown in hopes of him learning the game from McClain but obviously McClain isn't the ideal citizen, either.

I was just curious if you had any thoughts or insight as to what the Ravens plans were & your outlook on Arthur Brown. Obviously, not going to be able to filled Ray's void this year. The only free agent linebacker, that's considerable is Urlacher & I don't know if he's even a viable option for the money.

What NFL player doesnt have a gun charge on his record?!?!?!?

They all do it. Nobody knew that he had serious mental problems. The guy is a nut job, not just a criminal.

Ive mentioned brown several times. IMO, hes a decent linebacker, but no where near ready to step in that spot and play consistently. I hope he does, but it probabaly wont happen. I still believe Baltimore will pick up another free agent.

I would take Urlacher. I said that in another thread. If only for one year so Brown can develop. Hes worth a one or two year contract. This is still one of the best defenses in the league.
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:What NFL player doesnt have a gun charge on his record?!?!?!?

They all do it. Nobody knew that he had serious mental problems. The guy is a nut job, not just a criminal.

Ive mentioned brown several times. IMO, hes a decent linebacker, but no where near ready to step in that spot and play consistently. I hope he does, but it probabaly wont happen. I still believe Baltimore will pick up another free agent.

I would take Urlacher. I said that in another thread. If only for one year so Brown can develop. Hes worth a one or two year contract. This is still one of the best defenses in the league.

That's true, or so it seems. His mother was bipolar & lost custody of him when he was in high school. Fruit doesn't fall too far.

I agree, Brown will be a dandy just not ready to step in & TRY to fill the shoes of a legend.

Urlacher may be worth a year contract, just to prep Brown for the game.
So much for the Urlacher idea, he just retired today. LOL.
Takeo Spikes and Nick Barnett are free agents right now.
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:Takeo Spikes and Nick Barnett are free agents right now.

Takeo is one I would take a chance on, he's at least been effective everywhere he's been. Barnett's career died along with Merriman's & more recently looking like Mario Williams.
^
Spikes is my only option.