Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
1A Football 2013
What teams will compete for Bowling Green out of the East & West this year?
What do the teams below return for 13' & what are expectations?

Mayfield
Frankfort
Williamsburg
Hazard
Pikeville
Raceland
Fairview
Mayfield or Beechwood will come out the west.
Raceland or Hazard from the east. Fairview will be the wild card, depending how many transfers they get from Huntington.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
I think this could be Pikeville's year in the East. If IIRC they return all of their skill and like 8 or 9 starters from both O and D.
I think Mayfield is the favorite, but Frankfort and Beechwood will give them a pretty good challenge in the west. Don't know much about the east this year
Gotta give Mayfield the early nod

They return 7 on offense including their entire line and one of if not the programs best ever QB's in Jake Guhy. Key graduates are RB Jackson and WR Jones. Jackson will be sorely missed but I think Jones replacement won't miss a beat.

On defense the Cards also return 7. The key loss being Jackson who will be sorely missed

Out west I think the contenders to dethrown Mayfield are Russellville and possibly Beechwood if they can get their youngsters to develop by seasons end and replace Mr. Everything Nussbaum.

Out East I have a eye on Williamsburg and Raceland
The word for Raceland in 2013 is “Experience”. Raceland returns virtually everyone from a 9-3 2012 team. In 2012 the Rams scored 44 points per game while only allowing 15 points per game. In 2013, Raceland expects to build upon those numbers with almost everyone back on both sides of the ball. The Ram faithful are expecting the best team in school history to take the field for Raceland this year, and they are expecting this team to contend for the State Championship.
You're right, Mayfield is the favorite. Beechwood is returning a young but talented o line and have some realy good skill players in Stringer and Combs. The Combs kid can play. He started on the freshman team as a 6th grader. He's got good size and speed and could quite possibly play at the next level.
Mayfield and Frankfort in the west.
Hazard and Raceland out of the east.
West - Mayfield, Beechwood
East - Williamsburg, Pikeville
No, actually it is not a Pikeville's year in the East, I'll told you the exact year after searching about it.
Imo, Pikeville's better days are upon them starting this season. Very good chance for the Panthers to represent the East. Williamsburg and Raceland will be tuff outs this season as well.
It's almost a given that Mayfield or Beechwood will advance from the West, but I'm not sure about the East.

Fairview had an impressive run last year, but they graduated a lot of talent that played a big part on both sides of the ball. One thing is for sure, Nate McPeek has proven to be one of the top coaches in the area.

I think Pikeville's biggest issue last year was lack of experience, they had a good run in the playoffs, I expect them to make some noise.

I don't really know enough of about Hazard or Williamsburg to comment on them, but I expect both teams to have similar seasons to last year.

That brings me to Raceland, they return virtually everyone from last year's team and they should throttle the teams they are supposed to beat, but can they win the close games that could go either way? Obviously Fairview is a huge monkey on their back, will the win? If they don't, how will it affect the remainder of the season?

I've read posts on both of the high school sites that are ready to proclaim this the best team in Raceland history, I think that is putting the cart before the horse. This team has a lot of talent and experience, but I don't know if they have the toughness to get it done and toughness is what comes to mind when talking about great Raceland teams, the '08 team is the first to come to mind.

One of the biggest factors for this team will be the coaching staff. Like I said earlier, they have proven that they are capable of winning the games they are supposed to win, but I have yet to witness them win that close game.

Just calling it the way I see it.
In the East I am suprised there is not more nods for Williamsburg, didn't they return everyone but the waterboy from last years team that put up some staggering numbers?
Williamsburg lost 6 seniors 3 on the defensive side and 2 big lineman lineman that will be hard to replace.
RETURNING

Dalton Sizemore-----(junior) lead class A in passing yardage (5716) the last 2
seasons plus (1358) rushing yardage 6' 200lbs

Skylar Griffin---------(soph) 2 year starter 2792 recieving yards plays safety

Corey Shelton--------(soph) 2 year starter 1647 recieving yards plays safety

Jefferson Patrick-----(soph) 2 year starter at running back, with 260 tackles

Chase Lowery--------(soph) 2 year starter on Def and back-up runningback

M.D.R. Creekmore---(soph) started last year, and played a lot as freshman

Chris Helton----------(soph) 2 year starter and one of the best lineman in the
area at 6'2" 285lbs 8' broad 26 vertical,very
very atheletic for a big man

Tyler Taylor-----------(junior) 2 year starter on Offensive line solid player

Colan Lamoree-------(soph) started last year after transfering from Corbin very
atheletic lineman 6'2" 250lbs

Zack Culver-----------(junior) started most of the year before a shoulder injury
6'1" 260 lbs lineman, has only played 1 year

Austin Huskie--------(freshman) part time starter on Defense corner hard hitter

Dunn------------------(freshman) part-time started on the line at 6'3"

Luke Perry------------(soph) part-time starter on the line

Stone Hughett------ (freshman) strong kid will see plenty of playing time
hampered with injuries last year

these are just a few of the players coming back, add in the 3 transferes from Corbin who all will probable be starters and Williamsburg if they stay healthy will be a good team. This years team will not be as big up front, but will be a lot faster on both sides of the ball and if they win the district they stay home till beaten.
TRANSFERES

Ethan Wilson--------- (soph) 6'3" 260lbs lineman that
pitches and plays infield for the
baseball team, athelete
Zack Sander----------(soph) very fast skilled player
Kessinger-------------(soph) strong skilled player could play many positions
What about our old friend Hazard. No love out East for them? Mayfield will be really solid again. I look for us to air it out more this year. Jackson was a power runner his replacement Tyler is a burner.
Well, I think we are still looking pretty much the same. If Mayfield can get past Russellville, I think they will take home another gold trophy. I will say this, Mayfield and Russellville will be playing for the right to go to semi state this year. Russellville may very well be the toughest 1a challenge until the state championship. I expect Williamsburg to be battling either Hazard, Pikeville or Raceland over on the east side.

West will be either Mayfield or Russellville with an outside shot for Beechwood.

East will be Williamsburg or Raceland with an outside shot for Hazard or Pikeville.

It should be another great year for 64 to boast until late November or early December.

I am truly hoping that I get to see the first ring brought home to my house this coming December.
mysonis55 Wrote:Well, I think we are still looking pretty much the same. If Mayfield can get past Russellville, I think they will take home another gold trophy. I will say this, Mayfield and Russellville will be playing for the right to go to semi state this year. Russellville may very well be the toughest 1a challenge until the state championship. I expect Williamsburg to be battling either Hazard, Pikeville or Raceland over on the east side.

West will be either Mayfield or Russellville with an outside shot for Beechwood.

East will be Williamsburg or Raceland with an outside shot for Hazard or Pikeville.

It should be another great year for 64 to boast until late November or early December.

I am truly hoping that I get to see the first ring brought home to my house this coming December.

What he said
mysonis55 Wrote:Well, I think we are still looking pretty much the same. If Mayfield can get past Russellville, I think they will take home another gold trophy. I will say this, Mayfield and Russellville will be playing for the right to go to semi state this year. Russellville may very well be the toughest 1a challenge until the state championship. I expect Williamsburg to be battling either Hazard, Pikeville or Raceland over on the east side.

:Thumbs:
I truly believe it is finally the year that Raceland or Wburg finally live up to the hype. Raceland has a good schedule to show us exactly what to expect though. Wburg should win a majority of their games i the regular season, so they will have to prove their worth rounds 2 and up in the playoffs. Raceland HAS THE ABILITY(not that they will) to run the table on their regular season schedule. Playing Ashland early in the ear is always a plus, good measuring stick right out of the gate. And Ironton at the end of the regular season should be a HUGE night. Fairview week is always a fiasco and all the talk of us has beens on here can compare to what that game truly means. As far as Fairview goes, they have some nice tallent returning, but I dont feel it will be enough to do what they did last year. But they will hae their say so in the district. I have all the hope in the world for my Rams. But until they win a regional title AT THE LEAST. I will consider as a solid football team with a monkey on our backs. Looking forward to see who will take on Mayfield...is it August yet?
Scotty_Bronson Wrote:I truly believe it is finally the year that Raceland or Wburg finally live up to the hype. Raceland has a good schedule to show us exactly what to expect though. Wburg should win a majority of their games i the regular season, so they will have to prove their worth rounds 2 and up in the playoffs. Raceland HAS THE ABILITY(not that they will) to run the table on their regular season schedule. Playing Ashland early in the ear is always a plus, good measuring stick right out of the gate. And Ironton at the end of the regular season should be a HUGE night. Fairview week is always a fiasco and all the talk of us has beens on here can compare to what that game truly means. As far as Fairview goes, they have some nice tallent returning, but I dont feel it will be enough to do what they did last year. But they will hae their say so in the district. I have all the hope in the world for my Rams. But until they win a regional title AT THE LEAST. I will consider as a solid football team with a monkey on our backs. Looking forward to see who will take on Mayfield...is it August yet?

Raceland defeated Pikeville in the 3rd game of the season 54-14, and in the 2nd round of the playoffs Pikeville beat Raceland 26-20. Either Pikeville got a lot better or Raceland dropped off a lot. Both teams have about everybody back next year. Harlan beat Pikeville 41-21 in the first game,Williamsburg who lost 6 seniors last year beat Harlan 36-0 in the 3rd game of the season. Pikeville will be the team to beat in the region.
topnotch Wrote:Raceland defeated Pikeville in the 3rd game of the season 54-14, and in the 2nd round of the playoffs Pikeville beat Raceland 26-20. Either Pikeville got a lot better or Raceland dropped off a lot. Both teams have about everybody back next year. Harlan beat Pikeville 41-21 in the first game,Williamsburg who lost 6 seniors last year beat Harlan 36-0 in the 3rd game of the season. Pikeville will be the team to beat in the region.

To be honest, i agree with this. The Panthers rerturn nearly everyone on both sides of the ball, along with much valuable experience gained last season by a very young team. Look for the 0 line to be much bigger and stronger. The defense will fly to the ball quicker, and will be stronger and experienced. This season's team is blessed with an abundance of skill players that are again.... experienced. Also have the option of utilizing any one of two qb's., both that are potent at run/pass. Also, very fortunate to have one of the best coaching staffs anywhere. Going to be some very tough competition in 1-A this season , but Pikeville's got as good a chance as any.

P
Should be as usual Mayfield from the west and a battle between Hazard and Williamsburg from the east. Just my two cents.
I see what u all are saying about Pikeville. I think last years round 2 game was a combination of both. Pikeville vastly improving and getting some guys healthy and a good game plan, combined with the Rams "curse of the Flop". Which is essentially one solid half of football in the biggest playoff game each year. Pikeville will be a tough out as well. Mayfield will be the big dogs but after that its pretty much anyones game. Raceland, Williamsburg, Pikeville, and Russellville could all shake things up. Should be one of the most competitive 1A seasons in awhile.
Didn't Fairview have about 20 sophs. on the team last year? They have to be the favorite to come out again this year. They will be loaded.
Fairview has about 7 returning starters on offense ,& either 7 or 8 returning on D . Yes we lost some very good skill players but we were sophomore dominated last yr. Most of our starters from last yr will be back this yr ,& next yr . We have several very talented skill players. Waiting in the wings . We have an incoming freshman who has the size of Baker at Ashland ,& ive been told by multiple sources including coaches that he ran a 4:6 40 several times during speed training & i know for a fact he has very soft hands, but he isnt our only talent skill players , we are actually loaded with young talent skill players & a few got a lot of 1 st string reps last yr ,& a couple starts . We wont be an easy out but not saying we will make it to the carpet this yr ( dont count us out though) but i bet we make it next yr
I agree with what's already been posted here. I think Mayfield is by far the team to beat in 1A, but it is going to be very interesting to see who ends up their opponent in the State Finals. One of the more evenly matched "East sides" in a while. Not a lot being said about Hazard. Don't ignore them too quickly. Winning becomes a habit. They've had it, the rest of us are trying to get there. Should be a fun season!
The Burg in the East. Loaded. Gota get across Mtn. and watch these Boy's play.
topnotch Wrote:Raceland defeated Pikeville in the 3rd game of the season 54-14, and in the 2nd round of the playoffs Pikeville beat Raceland 26-20. Either Pikeville got a lot better or Raceland dropped off a lot. Both teams have about everybody back next year. Harlan beat Pikeville 41-21 in the first game,Williamsburg who lost 6 seniors last year beat Harlan 36-0 in the 3rd game of the season. Pikeville will be the team to beat in the region.

Scotty_Bronson Wrote:I truly believe it is finally the year that Raceland or Wburg finally live up to the hype. Raceland has a good schedule to show us exactly what to expect though. Wburg should win a majority of their games i the regular season, so they will have to prove their worth rounds 2 and up in the playoffs. Raceland HAS THE ABILITY(not that they will) to run the table on their regular season schedule. Playing Ashland early in the ear is always a plus, good measuring stick right out of the gate. And Ironton at the end of the regular season should be a HUGE night. Fairview week is always a fiasco and all the talk of us has beens on here can compare to what that game truly means. As far as Fairview goes, they have some nice tallent returning, but I dont feel it will be enough to do what they did last year. But they will hae their say so in the district. I have all the hope in the world for my Rams. But until they win a regional title AT THE LEAST. I will consider as a solid football team with a monkey on our backs. Looking forward to see who will take on Mayfield...is it August yet?

I was told by a few people that the Rams was getting ready to play Fairview and did not really prepare for Pikeville the second time (only watched about 20mins of tape on Pikeville and the rest of the week it was Fairview). I was told that a few of the players thought that some of the boys on Raceland laid down when they was getting beat and was not trying. Now this is what I was told and I hope it is not true.. Now onto Ironton game seems like they only dressed about 45 players last yr and 22 of them was seniors so this team will not be the same one that beat Ashland and a few others. Also didnt Ashland lose their line and a few skill players.
The Rams will win the games that they are suppose to win. The teams that will hit them back is the ones they trouble with.
I could see an over all lack of focus in the first half of round 2 Pikeville. Essentially Racelands lead at half time shocked me. Poor execution and drives stalling out at the 25 yd line kikked us all night. At half time I told a friend one of two things would halpen. Either Raceland woukd wake up and realize that there the rematch with Fairview is no concrete engagement or Pikeville will take advantage of our over looking them. The latter unfolded and the Panthers outscored us 26-6 in the final 2 periods. Similar to the New Cath game in 06 the Rams were up 27-10 at half time, final: 46-27(numbers kilked us in the 2nd half), in 'po which was probably the best 2nd Best team to ever take the field at Raceland(special teams was stikk to poor to make them the Best), Raceland was up 20-6 on LCA. Looking like the BEST team to ever play at Raceland wit having well over 200 yards rushing by half time and well over 200 yards passing. Thy were a team on fire. Then we came out played conservative "not to lose" football and lost by a touchdown. It like the Steve Young Super Bowl curse. But i think this is the year the rams get over the hump.
One thing is for sure. With the five teams that MAY represent the East up to this point, nobody can afford to overlook anybody, as all that's been previously mentioned appear to be stronger this season. It will be very interesting to see how things play out in the post season.