Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2013 Ashland Tomcats
Big changes for the offense this year!! How good can this team be?
Baker super soph TB is going to be a lot of fun to watch. He is getting bigger, put on 15 pounds and stronger but also is faster. Elam shifts from QB to FB. Prince takes over at QB and Ashland will be in the Pistol formation!!! This will get very interesting!!
I think the offensive change is smart. Gotta play to your strength and the wr position is really thin. But with Elam,baker,and prince the backfield should be explosive.
I think the freshman class this year that most questioned will suprise some people next year with the production. Several of these kids have just now started to grow.
I heard they would be switching to a wishbone offense?
Pistol will be their main offense this season!!!!
Ashland coaches spent 3 days with the old ball coach Spurrier in S.C. learning the new offense!!
So your telling me the coaching staff went to learn the pistol offense from a guy who runs 80% of his snaps from the shotgun and wants to sling it all over the field. Spurrier is a run and gun throw the football type coach who doesn't even gameplan for the defensive side of the ball. It doesn't make sense to learn the pistol from someone who doesn't run the offense.
what is their schedule like?
Guys, the Pistol is just more a formation. That's it. I hate to bust bubbles here, but the philosophies behind the pistol is/are the same ones that are behind most.

It's window dressing. It has a cool name. One of the biggest selling points of the Pistol is the name itself. If it was called "The shotgun with the back behind the QB instead of to the side of him", it wouldn't be anywhere near the craze that it is.

The sole reason that the Pistol was created in the first place out in Nevada was to basically help with the depth of where the Inside and Outside Zone handoff was between the QB and RB. That, plus it didn't tip their hat into which way the RB would most likely being going (in simple terms). Ironically, the Pistol, because of it's base alignment between the QB and RB, is much like the Flexbone and Wishbone offense (as far as the backfield is concerned, you are balanced to both sides...can do the same things to the left that you can to the right without tipping your hat).

The mechanics, footwork and other little things for the QB and backfield can be different because of their alignment, but the schemes are still the same as any other offense out there.

Window dressing. Smoke and mirrors. The name "Pistol". That's what gets people excited, but it's not a new offensively philosophy in the grand scheme of things.
ASHLAND 2013 Schedule

Aug 23 @ Newport Catholic
30 Raceland
Sep 6 George Washington (WVA)
13 @ Russell
20 Ironton (OH)
27 @ Rowan County
Oct 4 @ Boyd County
11 @ Sheldon Clark
18 Greenup County
25 Johnson Central
I love ball control offenses. In today's game, speed is the name of the game and teams are looking to score fast and play fast. In my honest opinion, the wishbone/flexbone offenses are great to fight that with because it slows the pace down and keeps the ball out of the scoring teams hands. The easiest way to play defense is with your offense on the field. Now, of course, we've learned a lot from the 4 losses to Louisville Central over the past 6 seasons but I think the difference in losing in 07/10 and barely losing in 11/12 is not turning the ball over. It ruins the time of possession slow paced concept if you hand them the ball. You want to grind them out, long, demoralizing hopefully scoring drives. Teams today are looking for the big play and with the wishbone you are going to go against that and be patient. When teams put 9 in the box, unless they put them play side it's usually a non-factor. Although the back side unblocked players may be fast enough to get there and make the play, the quick hitting style of wishbone and option plays still allows 2, 3, or 4 yards. When you spread it out, you may be able to out-athlete and out run some teams but Highlands, it isn't going to work. So you try to do a contrasting style. Johnson Central got awfully close to Highlands by doing this, but couldn't seal the deal. Just the same as Belfry with Central in 11/12. The catch here is when playing a spread/speed/finesse team you have to be patient and physical with them to try and neutralize their speed, but in district play when they play JCHS who runs the same style they will simply have to be more physical. That is a very tall task. I think if Ashland can get the line technique right, they will stand a far better chance in an option bone offense than a spread look. Mainly because I don't like spread offenses unless you are athlete LOADED.
Allsports#1 Wrote:ASHLAND 2013 Schedule

Aug 23 @ Newport Catholic
30 Raceland
Sep 6 George Washington (WVA)
13 @ Russell
20 Ironton (OH)
27 @ Rowan County
Oct 4 @ Boyd County
11 @ Sheldon Clark
18 Greenup County
25 Johnson Central

I see a 9-1 regular season with this schedule. Go Tomcats!
^here we go again.
I see 4 or 5 losses.
tomcatfan722000 Wrote:^here we go again.

It's just my opinion tomcat fan. How do you see the season turning out?
I see 7-3 maybe 6-4. But that really depends on adjustments to the changes in the offense.
5-5 or 6-4 with a second place district finish. This years JC team has the potential to challenge the NKY schools like they did a few years ago with so many backs and weapons if they stay healthy. Raceland Ironton JC and NCC will all be tough and if Some of those young soph. For Russell grow up quick they could surprise also the freshman Conley they have could be the best back they've had since gross if he lives up to his potential.
I will say 8-2 with losses to G.W. and J.C.
I'm a JC fan (I think everybody on the board knows that)

But I have a lot of respect for Coach Love. I met him when when I refereed wrestling. He was always professional and nice to me and the other refs as well as other coaches.

Everytime JC and Ashland played football, I would make it a point to speak to him. Besides when JC plays Ashland, but I hope Coach Love has a great tenure with the Tomcats.
I believe everyone respects Coach Love. The area teams have a lot a rivalry and we may dog one another through out the season but we do have a lot of great coaches in this area. I see Ashland doing well and since a lot of area teams are in different classes there is always room to root for other schools. Except for maybe Class A lol. That's one hot mess. (My 1st dig of the season) lol
I hope that Coach Love will continue to coach wrestling as well.
Coach Love will do a fine job. However, not sure its fair to judge him by this year. I believe Ashland had like 20 seniors. It will time some time for him to reload the progarm. I would guess 7-4 (first round loss) or 9-3 (second round loss) depending on who he had in the play offs. Not a bad start.
It is good to see Ashland beef up its out of district schedule. Adding Class 2A Champion and perennial Class 2A contender, NCC, is a positive. All of Ashland's more difficult games, other than NCC, are home games. Ashland tends to win at home. It is unlikely that Ashland can beat NCC- particularly away from home.

Those who seem to suggest that Ashland will advance in the playoffs until they play either Fort Thomas Highlands or Covington Catholic are probably correct.
Truth Wrote:It is good to see Ashland beef up its out of district schedule. Adding Class 2A Champion and perennial Class 2A contender, NCC, is a positive. All of Ashland's more difficult games, other than NCC, are home games. Ashland tends to win at home. It is unlikely that Ashland can beat NCC- particularly away from home.

Those who seem to suggest that Ashland will advance in the playoffs until they play either Fort Thomas Highlands or Covington Catholic are probably correct.

You do realize that Ashland typically plays Belfry who has been the state runner up the past 3 years in 3A, correct? You can say plenty of negative things about Ashland but to question the strength of their football schedule year in and year out is rather dumb.
Leaping Lee Wrote:You do realize that Ashland typically plays Belfry who has been the state runner up the past 3 years in 3A, correct? You can say plenty of negative things about Ashland but to question the strength of their football schedule year in and year out is rather dumb.

Actually I agree with him on this topic the NCC and GW series are steps in the right direction. Dropping belfry for Sheldon Clark was a bad move although I wish we wouldn't play anyone in 3A since it is the weakest class IMO.idk why we don't play wheelersburg oh, or maybe a neutral site with Boyle county or Lex Cath.also drop raceland we won't play them at there place and most times the game doesn't help us improve its just all about money. A schedule with Boyle,Lex Cath. A neutral site season opener and wheelersburg as well as GW Ironton an Russell would definitely allow for good crowds and good competition to help the program compete.
tomcatfan722000 Wrote:Actually I agree with him on this topic the NCC and GW series are steps in the right direction. Dropping belfry for Sheldon Clark was a bad move although I wish we wouldn't play anyone in 3A since it is the weakest class IMO.idk why we don't play wheelersburg oh, or maybe a neutral site with Boyle county or Lex Cath.also drop raceland we won't play them at there place and most times the game doesn't help us improve its just all about money. A schedule with Boyle,Lex Cath. A neutral site season opener and wheelersburg as well as GW Ironton an Russell would definitely allow for good crowds and good competition to help the program compete.

Russell is in 3a so why play them if u dont want to play anyone in 3a?
Leaping Lee Wrote:You do realize that Ashland typically plays Belfry who has been the state runner up the past 3 years in 3A, correct? You can say plenty of negative things about Ashland but to question the strength of their football schedule year in and year out is rather dumb.

Actually, Leaping Lee, I was paying Ashland a compliment as well as stating the obvious. Your boys will gain a lot more of value by playing NCC, a neighbor of FTH and CovCath, in Newport than they ever got from playing Belfry. Your boys just may learn a little about football in northern Kentucky. High school football is on a much higher level in Kenton County, Campbell County, and Boone County than in your area. If your boys are to ever advance past the first or second round of the playoffs, they better learn how to play the superior teams from that district, don't you think?

Your people can continue to use the excuse that "they recruit up there" but it still won't get you out of early elimination. And, after all, everyone- including your favorites- recruits.

Now I'm going to pay you a compliment. You are an unwavering and unbending loyalist to your school. Good for you.
cuppett777 Wrote:Russell is in 3a so why play them if u dont want to play anyone in 3a?

History and community. Much the same reason belfry still plays pikeville. Was not knocking belfry no ashland fan would as good as the series has been and between belfry and Sheldon Clark I'm furious we didn't renew with the pirates still have to travel to Inez and downgraded in competition. But just stating if it wasn't for the history of the ashland Russell rivalry I wouldn't play it either.
Truth Wrote:Actually, Leaping Lee, I was paying Ashland a compliment as well as stating the obvious. Your boys will gain a lot more of value by playing NCC, a neighbor of FTH and CovCath, in Newport than they ever got from playing Belfry. Your boys just may learn a little about football in northern Kentucky. High school football is on a much higher level in Kenton County, Campbell County, and Boone County than in your area. If your boys are to ever advance past the first or second round of the playoffs, they better learn how to play the superior teams from that district, don't you think?

Your people can continue to use the excuse that "they recruit up there" but it still won't get you out of early elimination. And, after all, everyone- including your favorites- recruits.

Now I'm going to pay you a compliment. You are an unwavering and unbending loyalist to your school. Good for you.

I don't think it will matter who Ashland plays they will not beat Fort Thomas anytime soon. For that matter, neither will any other 4A school. My point is that Ashland's football schedule always includes quality opponents. Belfry was my example but you can also include George Washington and Ironton.