Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hawkins at UK would be a mistake
You know UK is recruiting him! Coach Cal doesnt go to three straight games for nothing!!!
Curveball 24 Wrote:It seems like when a kentucky kid goes to another school besides UK they shine! Or we just notice alot more???

Exp....

Tennessee - Scotty Hopson, Chris Lofton, Isaiah Victor, Allan Houston
LSU - Anthony Hicky
Butler - Shelvin Mack
Indiana - Remey Abell
Vanderbilt - Scott Hundley & Dan Langhi
Clemson - Greg Buckner

Just to name a few off the top of my head!!!

Can't forget Scott Draud at Vandy. Still one of the top all time KY HS scoring leaders(even without the 3 pt line), MVP at Vandy and UK never recruited him.
Same things were said about Hickey when he was in school. Could UK use Hickey at the PG position this year? I say sign Hawkins. Sometimes, as Kentuckians, we down play our own just because they are in state. If exact replica of Hawkins was from NY or Cali, we'd be all over him.
ballboy Wrote:There is not a player at the sweet sixteen good enough to play at UK. If they were thhen the talent level falls way off

:biglmao:ballboy you are the same person who pick hoptown and ballard in the final hawkins can play.:beerwez:
^ LOL Ballboy at his finest....
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
cuppett777 Wrote:Hood should have 1 more yr because he got hurt last yr,but i hear he may want to go else where..

Yes.. Him and Polson are graduating this year as juniors if it tells you anything.

Mix1...
Rick Jones also played at Vandy for a year or two. Both him and Hundley played for Scott Co., both players was back to back Mr. Basketball's. The first two, big time transfers Scott Co. had in the late 90's.
ekff Wrote:If Polson and Hood are good enough to be on UK's roster then Hawkins surely is...

Agree that Hawkins would be nice at UK. But Cal didn't recruit Hood, Gillispie did, and Hood was a top 75 or so player. Polson is a walk on with a scholly only when one is open, basically almost yearly. Which is the way Hawkins should do, and really the only way I see him at UK.

Mix1...
Hawkins isn't going to play right away at UK, but he's also not going to leave after a year or two, and that's what UK needs. talented freshmen still need leaders, guys that show them what to expect playing for UK.

i still think hawkins is a better fit at a mid major like WKU, Butler, Murray State or an mid level major like Purdue, Arkansas, Wake Forest. however, he'd be like darius miller if he went to uk
^ Darius Miller had a pretty good career at UK.
PaintsvilleTigerfan Wrote:^ Darius Miller had a pretty good career at UK.

LOL Thats what I was thinking.... If Hawkins could be Darius Miller that would be a GREAT thing... There's a lot of player that WISH they had a career like Miller.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
The funniest thing about this whole thread is the arguing back and forth whether or not he is UK caliber. Well, you don't get recruiting classes like Cal and have no ability to judge talent. If Cal thinks he is worthy, he is worthy.
What could be better than being a KY high school player growing up dreaming of playing at KY and going to KY and stay for 4 years and have a national championship ring OH YEA!!!!
This kid is ready for the next level. Being at UK will improve his game more than we can imagine.
1. Hawkins is NOT Darius Miller... Miller was 6'7" and Hawkins is listed at 6'1" which means he is probably shorter.

2. I think Hawkins SHOULD play at a school in Kentuky just not UK or Louisville... (Murray, WKU, or Moorehead would be better options if he stays in state)

3. Comparing Hawkins to Jon Hood and Harrow is not doing him any favors. (Harrow should not be playing Major D1 ball and he is twice the ball handler that Hawkins is)

4. Anthony Hickey is playing well, but it is for a loosing team. If they could have recruited someone better, they would have.

5. If Hawkins went to WKU, he could be the next Courtney Lee or Jeremy Evans because their is no better development than on the court experience. (Look at how much George Fant has improved since he started last year.)

6. What good is getting a National Championship ring if you don't get any playing time? (Improvement means nothing if you never get to show how you have improved)
5 Star Elite Wrote:1. Hawkins is NOT Darius Miller... Miller was 6'7" and Hawkins is listed at 6'1" which means he is probably shorter.

2. I think Hawkins SHOULD play at a school in Kentuky just not UK or Louisville... (Murray, WKU, or Moorehead would be better options if he stays in state)

3. Comparing Hawkins to Jon Hood and Harrow is not doing him any favors. (Harrow should not be playing Major D1 ball and he is twice the ball handler that Hawkins is)

4. Anthony Hickey is playing well, but it is for a loosing team. If they could have recruited someone better, they would have.

5. If Hawkins went to WKU, he could be the next Courtney Lee or Jeremy Evans because their is no better development than on the court experience. (Look at how much George Fant has improved since he started last year.)

6. What good is getting a National Championship ring if you don't get any playing time? (Improvement means nothing if you never get to show how you have improved)

Agree on all EXCEPT #6,,,, first,, Hawkins doesn't have a shot at any NBA future, hate to put it like that but he doesn't. So why not walk on, earn playing time, get a ring. And everyone of us would give our first born child to just get chance to walk on, never play, get a ring, and be set for life with any job we wanted in ky. Unless some of you are tardville fans, in case we feel sorry for you on that choice.

Mix1...
I would not want my Son to play for a school where he will never see the court... If you know any child that has gone through this, then you know that it is not only frustrating for the parents but for the child as wel. Especially when you know that there are numerous other D1 schools that kid could go to and be a significant contributor. Perfect example is Larry Drew III who wound up being benched at UNC and decides to transfer to UCLA. Now he is a star.
5 Star Elite Wrote:I would not want my Son to play for a school where he will never see the court... If you know any child that has gone through this, then you know that it is not only frustrating for the parents but for the child as wel. Especially when you know that there are numerous other D1 schools that kid could go to and be a significant contributor. Perfect example is Larry Drew III who wound up being benched at UNC and decides to transfer to UCLAbeat Now he is a star.

You must not be a UK fan then. I wouldnt think twice about letting my son go to UK, if that's where he wanted to go knowing he'd never see the court. It should be the kids choice, not the parents. He would still get an education if he never saw the floor. Plus any job he wants in the state of Ky after school for life. Isn't that all its about, an education?

Mix1...
I am a UK Fan... We just have differences of opinion on this topic. I guess we will find out when he signs.
5 Star Elite Wrote:1. Hawkins is NOT Darius Miller... Miller was 6'7" and Hawkins is listed at 6'1" which means he is probably shorter.

I'm sorry but I disagree... Plz don't bring up Hood... Hawkins is and will be better then Hood... All anyone is saying is that Hawkins would be able to help UK down the road... We all know next the Cats should be great but who's to say the year after they suck... Remember UK is a 1 and done team, you never know... This year is a great example, National Champs to NIT.... I know Noel got hurt but they weren't that good with him..
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
If Hawkins did sign with UK and lets say was the 6th man his junior and senior year... That's not a bad job to have... I would take being a 6th man at UK over playing at WKU
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
If Derek Willis is "UK caliber", then I GUARANTEE you Hawkins is.
I don't think Willis is UK Caliber either... I compare Hawkins to Brandon Stockton. There is only 1 kid that I saw play in the tournament that has high D1 potential and that is the Point Gaurd for Holmes. That is just my personal opinion. Most of the other kids would be great at Mid Major programs.