Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Clay County 84 Harlan County 76 (13th Region Championship)
Final.

Mcdaniel with 23 for Clay.
Kind of anti-climatic......and on some level a little surprising.
This has to sting for Harlan County who worked so hard to get region at there place this year only to have both teams lose, however both had great showings.
Back in 1992 when Clay Co was still one of the top programs in KY and went to the Sweet 16 semi-finals, who would have believed that the mighty Clay Co program would have exactly one sweet 16 win (2001) in the next 20 years? Not me.
^
They havent even been back to the sweet 16 since 01.
Its been too long. When i was a kid, it was all Clay and Corbin.
Congratulations to a very good Clay County team. I am still proud of my Black Bears, they played with heart and gave it their best shot!!!
Well, the loss DOES sting, but at least we gave it all we had. I can accept it better that way!

Sooooo proud of my Black Bears!!! Tell you one thing, they put all they had in this game and it was magnificient!! Thank you Seniors!!

McDaniel (MVP) and Lyttle....I can't say enough about these guys' character and integrity! I watched the teams after the game, these two kids were sensitive and humble and respected HC's kids who just felt terrible. Classy!!

Clay won this game, but they sure knew they had played one!! HC never gave up and fought hard to the end. With 45 seconds left in this game, it was still a 2 point margin! Great great atmosphere!!

Good luck Clay County Tigers; I hope you win it all!!!
Great game by both teams, Clay Co hit big shot after big shot under heavy pressure all night. Great job by both teams coaches and players. This was a fun game to watch.
Harlan played their butts off. The refs were a joke but Clay County was hands down the best team. Lookout 13th region. For all you McDaniel haters all I can say is get ready for some more. The whole team played amazing. Its going to be an awesome trip down to Rupp!!
Does anyone know who was named to the all tournament team?
McDaniel MVP, Lyttle, Reed, a kid from Barbourville, and KC..seems like there was another from CC. For Harlan Co, it was Sergent, Caldwell and Brewer. Sorry that's all I can remember.
Harlan played their butts off. The refs were a joke but Clay County was hands down the best team. Lookout 13th region. For all you McDaniel haters all I can say is get ready for some more. The whole team played amazing. Its going to be an awesome trip down to Rupp!!
Extremely impressed with the class of the HC players. They literally played their hearts out.
Those boys gave all they had to give! That's why I'm so proud of them. Had we lost because of lack of effort or heart, it would have been worse for me.....for some reason.

But that didn't happen, both teams laid it down, and tonight, CC was the better team.
TIGERS 13th Regional Champs 2013!
Go CLAY!
Kudos to Chip, the Seniors, Wolfe and Smith!
Congrats to Clay Co. I thought they would win this game. Now go to Rupp and represent the 13th well. This region has been down right embarassing the last few years.
Congrats to HC on a great season!
Sounds like it was a heck of a game.
Congrats to the tigers. Glad to see marcum finally get to Rupp
Good Game to watch! Hard game to lose! The seniors played their hearts out! Without Tyler Brewer down the stretch HC wouldn't have been in it! Clay made some clutch shots, #35 hit that free throw jumper all night for Clay! Refs were a joke! I don't think they caused HC to lose or helped Clay win but they were terrible, the Clay mascot walks under the basket right beside the ref while HC is shootings free throw and a clay fan gets him off the floor the the red walks over and says something, beat and banged a lot then calling little touch fouls, and at the end HC player stepped over the line as Clay was in bounding it right in front of the ref I'm pretty sure both this and the mascot under the basket are technicals. The out of bounds play they huddle and do nothing. Would think they would have experienced knowledgable refs for a big game. Glad it didn't affect the good game that was played! Congrats to Clay and Proud of the Black Bears!
Clay County back in Rupp Arena. It's about dang time. As for anyone who disagrees that McDaniel was the best player in the region, do you still feel that way? I mean, absolute ice water in his veins. Huge game for Lyttle. No a bad game from anyone.

Much respect to HC. Seniors did a lot to open up the new program. Gave us fits for years.
UKCC Wrote:Clay County back in Rupp Arena. It's about dang time. As for anyone who disagrees that McDaniel was the best player in the region, do you still feel that way? I mean, absolute ice water in his veins. Huge game for Lyttle. No a bad game from anyone.

Much respect to HC. Seniors did a lot to open up the new program. Gave us fits for years.

It was a great game and McDaniel is a tremendous player.
McDaniel was 7 of 19 from the field and 8 of 9 at the line for 24 points and Brewer was 10 of 19 and 9 of 11 for 29 points. They are both very good.
I think McDaniel will be No. 1 coming into the 2014 season. Allen didn't have a real good year and he was the top-rated junior this season.
Harlan County kept up with the pace extremely well. I was way off on that one. Nice to see this group of kids get the Tigers back to Rupp. Hats off to Reed, Lyttle, Rice, and Bowling. Not a whole lot to say about McDaniel. A sophomore averaged over 25 PPG in the biggest tournament of his life. Kid isn't the best defender or pure point man, but he is an absolute stud at getting the ball in the hole.
Brewer is hands down the best defender in the region. I'm not sure about ur stats there. Idk what 19 of 11 means but McDaniel is not a "man" yet like Brewer is. When McDaniel becomes a man it will be scary. I think Brewer is probably the 3rd best player behind McDaniel and Fox but thats just my opinion. Congrats to him on a great career at Harlan County! Go Clay!!
Hit and Run I agree with everything except the comment on not being a pure point. Just because you score as a point guard doesn't mean you're not a pure point. I'd love to see McDaniel's assist-turnover ratio for the tournament. With that being said, I give the MVP to Jarrod Rice. Clay doesn't get this title without that kid. Well done Tigers!
Thanks. I fixed that. A long day/night of basketball.
I don't know if Brewer was considered a good defender coming into the season. He's gotten better. He's one of the best passers and leapers I've seen and is a good ballhandler and is unselfish.

I think a guy to look out for is Barger at KC. He's very athletic.
Miller is going to keep getting better at Harlan County. As someone said, he was almost a mirror image to Bowling and he has two more years. He's 6-5 and can shoot.
I understand haha. Miller has the potential to be very, very good. He's 6'5 and still growing. Barger reminds me a lot of Brewer as he's really good at getting to the rim but not the best shooter. When McDaniel gets over 150 lbs, with his speed and shooting ability he'll be virtually impossible to totally shutdown. Another kid I like is Zac Baxter, the kid can stroke! The sleeper of the sophomore class is a kid named Zac Lawson. He is a gamer!
shut down. Another soph I like is Zac Baxter. The kid can stroke. The sleeper in the sophomore class is Zach Lawson. The kid is a gamer!!
EKYBubbaWatson Wrote:Hit and Run I agree with everything except the comment on not being a pure point. Just because you score as a point guard doesn't mean you're not a pure point. I'd love to see McDaniel's assist-turnover ratio for the tournament. With that being said, I give the MVP to Jarrod Rice. Clay doesn't get this title without that kid. Well done Tigers!

Didn't say he wasn't a pure point. Just that he wasn't the best pure PG. That title has to go to Fox in the 13th. McDaniel is head and shoulders above him when it comes to all around game, but Fox handles a little better and gets his guys involved more because he isn't capable being a number one scoring threat.
I'm going to agree 100% on you with that one. They should be playing in the same backcourt. Imagine that??... Scary..
Very scary. I wonder if many people even think about that. You're talking state title run.