Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Clay County vs Middlesboro
Thoughts, Predictions, Comments?

Tigers by 6
Clay Co. by 20-30!!
Clay appears to be playing their best ball at this time, OldTiger. I agree with your prediction, BUT want to say that you better not look past Middlesboro. They are extremely athletic and passionate!! When they sparked the other night against Corbin, they reduced a fairly large scoring deficit with hustle and heart. I was very impressed with that game!!

I had actually predicted they would beat Corbin, but after the first quarter, was afraid I had misspoken!! LOL
Hopefully Clay is smart and only sends the two bigs to the offensive glass. Middlesboro can only hurt you if you don't stop the ball I'm transition. I feel that it doesn't matter if you zone them or man them, the key is shutting down the break. The vast majority of their points in the second half against Corbin came from the man with the ball getting all the way to the rack because the Hounds didn't man up and stop the ball.
Clay always sends 4 to the boards. Off rebounds is what slows down a fast break.
Clay 78 Middleboro 61
Clay County 70
Middlesboro 59

Should be a good game but Clay will be too much in the end.
72-59 Clay. Middlesboro can be very pesky however and it may remain close for a while.
Clay Co. will not get into a fast pace game with Middlesboro like Corbin. Clay Co's guards will be able to control the pace of the game.
Clay Co. 65
Middlesboro- 54
Clay will control the pace of the game, even though they like to run too, the only way Middlesboro can win is in a breakneck pace from start to finish. The Tigers can play either way and win, they seem to have got themselves healthy and hitting on all cylinders at the right time.
Hit and Run Wrote:Hopefully Clay is smart and only sends the two bigs to the offensive glass. Middlesboro can only hurt you if you don't stop the ball I'm transition. I feel that it doesn't matter if you zone them or man them, the key is shutting down the break. The vast majority of their points in the second half against Corbin came from the man with the ball getting all the way to the rack because the Hounds didn't man up and stop the ball.

I agree!!

Most of what sparked the come back against Corbin the other night was that fast break! Their guards are quick AND fast!!
Pretty sure Clay has the quickest and most athletic starting 5 and rotation in the region. Yea they will need to stop Middlesboro's transition but don't look for Clay to slow it down. Marcum is putting it in McDaniel's hands and letting Reed and Rice burst out. Clay has the best rebounder in the region in Bowling. Clay needs him to stay out of foul trouble to not allow Middlesboro 2nd chance points.
I believe 3 point shooting will be a huge factor in this game. Clay shot the 3 well against Barbourville, but I am not sure they are a great shooting team. Middlesboro has been shooting the 3 very well also, but Im not sure they are a great shooting team either? The team that continues to shoot the 3 well will have a huge advantage! If they both shoot it well it will be another big time fun game to watch!!! Go Mboro!!!
Clay 77 Middlesboro 67.
I believe that the remaining games in the thirteenth region tourney are a toss up. It's anybodies to win. Don't get me wrong I'd love to see my Tigers get another Regional Championship but they'll have to play at the top of their game to do so.
This will be a tough one for Middlesboro to pull out. Clay Co is so good! However if you look at when Clay came to Middlesboro if you take away that VERY bad first quater by the Jackets its a pretty close game. Clay would still win but the Jackets would've made it a decent game.

This game won't come down to Clay County's speed by any means. Middlesboro can run with anyone. If I was the Tigers coach I would use my superior size and STRENGTH to win tomorrow. The Jackets do not do well against any big man that is stronger and has a little bit of athletic ability. They have no one who can guard them. Look at the Harlan Co games. The Jackets match the Bears with guard play and speed but they get killed in the paint
teampaul - I agree. Even though he didn't have huge point production the first time these two met, I look for Marty Bowling to have a big game. Lyttle had 17 I believe the last time so your statement about the bigs (I know, 6'2" Lol) is true.

McDaniel will get his. Clay County's only cog keeping them from Rupp is early fouls by Reed (fouled out of several games) and Bowling.
Clay is by far the favorite. Pressure is on them. This Jacket team can just play. That is what makes them a hard out. On top of that they don't quit. I agree it will be a hard game, but Bell beat us twice this year and Corbin beat us this year, all by big margins. Doesn't mean squat with this Jacket team. Thompson will have them ready. Jacket "Rope-a-dope" , finish the game.

On another note:

Russell Thompson has gotten no respect from his fellow coaches for two years now. If anyone deserves coach of the year in this region for the past two years it has been Coach Thompson. Just take a long look at what he has done with what he has had.
FlippedOut Wrote:Clay is by far the favorite. Pressure is on them. This Jacket team can just play. That is what makes them a hard out. On top of that they don't quit. I agree it will be a hard game, but Bell beat us twice this year and Corbin beat us this year, all by big margins. Doesn't mean squat with this Jacket team. Thompson will have them ready. Jacket "Rope-a-dope" , finish the game.

On another note:

Russell Thompson has gotten no respect from his fellow coaches for two years now. If anyone deserves coach of the year in this region for the past two years it has been Coach Thompson. Just take a long look at what he has done with what he has had.

Probably has a lot to do with unprofessional manner on the sideline. Not saying I agree or disagree, but I've spoken with coaches, athletic directors, and officials and they all bring that up about Thompson.
Been to every game. Never once seen him act unprofessional. Has had 1 tech. in 3 years on the bench. It was a terrible call. Don't want to get into which coach act bad conversation. Bottom line he is turning the program around in a big way.

Coach of the Year!!!! Last two years.

He is a note for basketball coaches and AD's or whoever is in charge.. Wait till the season is over before you vote for these things. Who else gives these awards before their season ends. It is a no brainer and you guys are missing it.
Clay Co. - 74
Middlesboro - 66
clay by 20+ tigers are back Confusedmoke:
Hit and Run Wrote:Probably has a lot to do with unprofessional manner on the sideline. Not saying I agree or disagree, but I've spoken with coaches, athletic directors, and officials and they all bring that up about Thompson.

Would like to know who these coaches or AD's who say this. Have been to quit a few Middlesboro games over the last two years and have never seen Coach Thompson act unprofessional on the sideline.
Clay Co 62 Middlesboro 45
WBA Wrote:Would like to know who these coaches or AD's who say this. Have been to quit a few Middlesboro games over the last two years and have never seen Coach Thompson act unprofessional on the sideline.

As I said, it's a vast majority. Not saying I agree or disagree just stating.
Coach Thompson does a pretty good job with his team. Middlesboro with little talent? They have some pretty nice players in my book (great quickness). That was proven against Corbin with them just taking the Hounds to the rim over and over. Good Luck to both teams.