Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Paul Rains to be named Dunbar Football coach
Should be official tomorrow
He will do much better at Dunbar.
I assume Lexington is a little better than Whitesburg.
Both aren't in the best of shape.
Nothing like a school hiring their 5th coach in 7 years with a coach that will be starting his 4th different head coaching job in 5 years. I don't think i've ever seen a better match for stability.Confusednicker:
Concur
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:He will do much better at Dunbar.
I assume Lexington is a little better than Whitesburg.

Don't kid yourself. Dunbar might be in worse shape. The kids at Dunbar have this entitlement feeling, and the parents are worse then at LCC Id bet that. If he can get the parents to stay out of the way he might be alright but Ive not seen any other coach be able to do it there.
^
Everybody know what kind of shape Dunbar is in.
It might be the biggest mess in the state, HOWEVER, i was referring to the fact that Lex is a better place to live than Whitesburg when it comes to stuff to do.
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:^
Everybody know what kind of shape Dunbar is in.
It might be the biggest mess in the state, HOWEVER, i was referring to the fact that Lex is a better place to live than Whitesburg when it comes to stuff to do.

Yes, that could be true.
LCC has had some rough times after being one of the top teams in the mountains just 4 or 5 years ago.
It must really be bad at Letcher.
Picking coaches with no link to the children or the community have made for a mess. The next guy has an easy job if he has a personality combined with work ethic. The community will support leaders and not generals.
UKisN1 Wrote:Picking coaches with no link to the children or the community have made for a mess. The next guy has an easy job if he has a personality combined with work ethic. The community will support leaders and not generals.

It's worked for countless other programs:

Holcomb isn't from Breathitt County (about 3 hours away to be exact, Bardstown)

Dudley isn't from Breathitt or Bell, relatively the same area as Holcomb (hence one of the reasons why Holcomb came to Breathitt when Dudley was the HC way back in the day)

Chuck Smith wasn't from Boyle County (grew up in Louisville)

Mueller isnt from Highlands (Ohio guy, I THINK?)

Leon Hart wasn't from Ashland (North Carolina guy, came to KY via EKU)

Those are just a few who have had great amounts of success at schools that they had no real ties to.

Granted, at the same time, I can name several who have done very well at their hometown school (or relative area), as well.

It's just all about finding the right fit. :Thumbs:
I didn't say it won't work, but the guys who have came in at LCC did not work. They really did not even give it the ol college try. They did more damage than good.
UKisN1 Wrote:I didn't say it won't work, but the guys who have came in at LCC did not work. They really did not even give it the ol college try. They did more damage than good.

Right you are. It just hasn't worked for them, yet.

Good points.
Assistants undermining the head coach is an issue at LCC. UKisN1 do you have a cousin you recommend for the job?
Several cousins but none who are qualified. Geesh! We are trying to select from a pool who are interested not in a program but a check toward their retirement.
Fly Like a Duck Wrote:Right you are. It just hasn't worked for them, yet.

Good points.

Your damage has been done by lack of support....you've had coaches....every program in east ky would take your coaches....nobody wants your parents...
Parents are a part of any program. How you deal with them is up to the coach. The last two were not very personable, and after following Coach Howard that left something to be desired. You coach the players...but communication is a two way street.

It is not easy to coach at LCC in any sport because of the intervention of the Super and her desire to select the coaches rather than a committee of the AD and sport specific people.

We need continuity in the feeder programs and that will take care of itself.

Good luck to Coach Rains at PLD! Hope he retires there.
Bear_Paw Wrote:Your damage has been done by lack of support....you've had coaches....every program in east ky would take your coaches....nobody wants your parents...

I couldn't be further removed from the LCC program. I'm merely an objective bystander.
rains at pld.......just wonderful
lol
TheNewBallCoach Wrote:rains at pld.......just wonderful

Rains.......ever hear the statement , "Out of the frying pan and into the fire."

LOL
Thunder Lips Wrote:Nothing like a school hiring their 5th coach in 7 years with a coach that will be starting his 4th different head coaching job in 5 years. I don't think i've ever seen a better match for stability.Confusednicker:

It's like a carrousel or musical chairs for Lexington public schools as far as head coaching jobs. There is no stability. Bryan Station has had 4 coaches in 5 season, Dunbar 5 coaches in 7 season now the word is Lafayette is looking for a head man themselves. That's 3 coaches in think 5 season. Can't built a power program with a turnstyle head coach. Just ask FT Highlands, Boyle Co, Louisville Central, X, Trinity, Lex Cath, BG and others. Their program gobbles win cause their coaches is not a rotating door :welcome:
The Lexington public schools have been a disaster. They have underachieved consistently the last ten years.
Fly Like a Duck Wrote:It's worked for countless other programs:

Holcomb isn't from Breathitt County (about 3 hours away to be exact, Bardstown)

Dudley isn't from Breathitt or Bell, relatively the same area as Holcomb (hence one of the reasons why Holcomb came to Breathitt when Dudley was the HC way back in the day)

Chuck Smith wasn't from Boyle County (grew up in Louisville)

Mueller isnt from Highlands (Ohio guy, I THINK?)

Leon Hart wasn't from Ashland (North Carolina guy, came to KY via EKU)

Those are just a few who have had great amounts of success at schools that they had no real ties to.
Granted, at the same time, I can name several who have done very well at their hometown school (or relative area), as well.

It's just all about finding the right fit. :Thumbs:

Mueller is a Highlands grad and his kids went through the Ft Thomas school system. I would call that a lot of ties to the school!
Great hire for the Dunbar!
BossEric Wrote:Great hire for the Dunbar!

We heard that before with the previous hire(s) Confusednicker:
That is what we heard at Letcher Central, too.
Principal's last name is Rains.
There were no interviews.
Sounds like PLD knew who their HC was before anybody even applied.
Good luck with him lol