Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
High School basketball classes-Domination
I have been reading with great interest the recent discussions on basketball classes. I agree 100% that the sweet 16 is a very special experience for nearly all fans in Kentucky. At this point I'm hearing a resounding "NO" in regards to classes. Would it change our opinions if a program were to start dominating in basketball championships, as we are seeing in football? :bball:
NO
Nope. It's the greatest show in hoops for a reason. Basketball is different, upsets happen and that's what makes march the most exciting month of the year. A couple years Shelby Valley upset heavily favored Ballard to win the state title.Every year there upsets in the NCAA tournament, mid majors knocking off power conferences. In football that just don't happen, 1A teams would have a hard team going up against a 6A school like Trinity but in basketball we know that it's possible because SV showed us two years. No need to change Jmo one championship for all the marbles
In last 22 years been 20 different Champions. 90-91 last repeat, Fairdale. Scott co, Mason co only 2x Champs since then.
I agree that there is not a need for a class system at this point. The reason is that no program has dominated the basketball scene in Kentucky. I also understand that this is a hypothetical question. However, I would bet that the sentiment would change very quickly if a private school decides to pour the resources into its' basketball program and begins to consistently win state championships.
If it happened, I think that you would see a version of the All "A" for larger classes played in season.
If the sweet sixteen is so great with equality for all, why do we even have an All A?
Fatt Jones Wrote:I agree that there is not a need for a class system at this point. The reason is that no program has dominated the basketball scene in Kentucky. I also understand that this is a hypothetical question. However, I would bet that the sentiment would change very quickly if a private school decides to pour the resources into its' basketball program and begins to consistently win state championships.

I honestly think there would still be upsets. There are a lot of people that go to the Sweet Sixteen every year and root for "the little guys". The noise that Rupp puts out can be very intimidating to any high schooler. Last year was an exception. Trinity was a real good team, think maybe the talent level in the rest of the state was somewhat down. IMO Last year's tourney was the worst I've ever been to.
Catfan09 Wrote:If the sweet sixteen is so great with equality for all, why do we even have an All A?

Because it's so great and that was a way to have a tournament for smaller schools and still have the Sweet Sixteen.
Like having your cake and eating it, too.
30 going on 40 Wrote:If it happened, I think that you would see a version of the All "A" for larger classes played in season.

May not be a bad idea. Just after Christmas break we leave open dates for an all inclusive mid-season tournament. We divide the state into 4 classes and see what happens. Could make for some great basketball!
Indiana went to the class system and I think that there is not as much interest as before the class system. I've heard that the IHSAA is looking at going back to the to one championship for boys and girls. And there are some very big high schools in Indiana.
HDE Wrote:Because it's so great and that was a way to have a tournament for smaller schools and still have the Sweet Sixteen.
Like having your cake and eating it, too.

Why should the class a schools have their cake and eat it too? What about the 2a, 3a, etc. maybe they would like an opportunity too. Most of the schools on the all a tournament aren't a schools anyway.
If 2A, 3A, etc, etc want to have their own tournament, then those schools can organize it like the All A Classic people do. People act like its some unfair advantage that these smaller schools are getting from the KHSAA, but the fact is that the KHSAA has NOTHING to do with this tournament, in fact, I am sure they dont like it. But aside from making sure that the games count against the 30 game limit, there isnt a lot that they can do about it.

Yes, there are some schools that play 2- and 3-A football in the All-A, but if they only included actual Class A schools, some regions wouldnt have much of a tournament.
Catfan09 Wrote:If the sweet sixteen is so great with equality for all, why do we even have an All A?

Money is the short answer. It also gives the smaller schools a chance to showcase their talent. Some these schools could never make it to Rupp because of the respective regions they play in but still have good enough team that derserves to play on a big stage(ie Model or Collegiate).
The Sweet Sixteen is the best high school basketball tournament in the nation. It is an all inclusive tournament in which the parity is so great that the little guy still has a chance. Everybody loves an underdog and it seems as though a new one arises every year even if it is just for a game or two. The variability is so great you have teams stretching from the mountains of Eastern Kentucky to the flatlands of the Mississippi river. You have teams all the way from Paducah to Pikeville and Covington to Williamsburg. You throw in Louisville and Lexington and you have the powerhouses and favorites. But that is what makes this tournament so great is the fact that a Shelby Valley can beat a Ballard on the biggest stage and win, "The State Tournament", a win for the little guy.
footballfever Wrote:In last 22 years been 20 different Champions. 90-91 last repeat, Fairdale. Scott co, Mason co only 2x Champs since then.

Excellent point. Since 95 the schools that have won the most Sweet 16 games are Scott County (22), Mason County (15) and Ballard (14). The small high school that has won the most games during this time period is Paintsville with 10.
In my opinion, going from 3 to 4 to now 6 classes is diluting the importance of a high school championship in football in Kentucky. Some classes only have a little over 30 schools in it. I would hate to see this happen in basketball.