Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Whitley Co. 44 South Laurel 36
Good win for Whitley. Split the series with South.
This is probably as bad as I have ever saw a South Laurel team play, I guess credit to Whitley's defense is due.
South turns around today and takes a very good 16-4 Harrison Co team to double overtime before falling 71-70 after leading by 16 in the second half. This team is definetely Dr Jekyll-Mr. Hyde.
These next two games for South are huge.
If they were to fall to both Corbin and Wburg, it will creat a huge mess, especially if Whitley ends up beating or spliting with Wburg.
South is just another team in the 13th. The glory days are over.
^
Sad, but true.
There 5 or 6 years of winning have all but gone away.
Corbin is still way down by there standards IMO, and will continue to be the favorite for the foreseeable future. Until Whitley hires a coach that can get kids to play and set up a program where kids are playing that type of basketball from grade school up, they will always be second tier to Corbin, and its shown as we havent beaten them in almost 20 years, playing 2 or 3 games a year. Wburg may have a good year every now and then but since 98 hasnt done much. You cant put the blame on them though. A 1A school with 30 or 40 boys to choose from compared to a 3A and two 5A schools makes it difficult.
What is the deal with South? Is it just the talent level or injuries? I know the coach from his days as assitant at Simon Kenton. Always had great sucess as there JV coach and had some VERY good AAU teams as well. Was sad to seem him leave.
Nice win for Whitley Co.!! Looks like SL is about done for year.
hop24 Wrote:What is the deal with South? Is it just the talent level or injuries? I know the coach from his days as assitant at Simon Kenton. Always had great sucess as there JV coach and had some VERY good AAU teams as well. Was sad to seem him leave.

A South fan told me that selfish play is part of them problem and I did notice that one player scored 27 of SL's 36 points, but I really have no idea if that is part of the problem or not. After Sanders gets back into the flow, I think SL will play much better though.
south didn`t have a clue how to attack whitley`s man to man defense, who`s to blame for that , i don`t know.give whitley credit they came out on top.it was the worst performance by a south laurel team that ive ever seen.looked like a middle school team.
South has regressed for about a 5 year period. Coach may be a great guy but I don't believe he can get South over the hump. Slide began when Wright took over the AAU program to make sure his kid got to play.