• 1(current)
  • Next 
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Paintsville 2013
I'm trying to see what the BGR family's opinions are about the Tigers season for this year. The Tigers return almost everyone but my concern is the incoming class with Phelps and Morris being impact players as freshman but do we gain good bodies for Friday nights ? They return some really good players but do we have enough to compete? Positive and negative welcome.
Although youthful, their primary players gained a season full of experience. With that said, I look for them to be more competitive this coming season. However, their district is brutal. I wouldn't be surprised if they don't knock off Nicholas Co and finish 3rd in district which would give them a much better chance at getting past the 1st round come playoff time.
I know the numbers were low last season, but what if any do they lose?
they lose 2 lineman and gain none from what i have heard, they do gain the Phelps kid but they already have skilled players so where do you put him. The numbers will be under 20 and they are small so when does it become reality that these boys aren't strong enough to compete on this level and win. there is talent but 3 or 4 good players that plays every snap is not going to win. As of today they haven't even started lifting so what does that say for the coaching staff, are they willing to put the time in or not because if they won't why should the boys want too. not trying to be negative but this is what i think.
Anyone know Paintsville's schedule? They were in talks with Estill but that was a no go
3 sport junkie Wrote:they lose 2 lineman and gain none from what i have heard, they do gain the Phelps kid but they already have skilled players so where do you put him. The numbers will be under 20 and they are small so when does it become reality that these boys aren't strong enough to compete on this level and win. there is talent but 3 or 4 good players that plays every snap is not going to win. As of today they haven't even started lifting so what does that say for the coaching staff, are they willing to put the time in or not because if they won't why should the boys want too. not trying to be negative but this is what i think.

I learned last night that Phelps will be having shoulder surgery which sucks but he will be ready for football thank god but I think you put a kid like him in the slot and let Kash deliver him the ball and let him run in an open field. As far as the weight room if that's true then that's sad. The coaches can't make them lift but more importantly its a reflection of the 4 or 5 players that were able and cleared to compete but chose to sit out and watch their teammates give their best and play injured while they watched from the sideline. They have kids with a lot of heart but they need to have buy in from everyone to be able to compete.
It is amazing how quick things can turn around in 1A football.Kids grow up when forced into the fray like Paintsville's young Tigers last year. Barring injury they will be much better next year.
Is bill mike returning? Is Cherico still coaching?
sportscritic Wrote:Is bill mike returning? Is Cherico still coaching?
Several rumors floating around. If BMR steps down I assume Joe Chirico will be the HC after he was named the head coach in waiting to get him back on staff. I still think Runyon will try to coach another year after winning 1 game last year. How many boys does Paintsville have out in weights right now? I also heard Paintsville might be getting a new QB from either Breathitt Co. or the kid from Sheldon Clark.
Tigers need more players. Without the numbers (needing 24-26 players) out they will win a few games but no titles.
How bad has soccer hurt Paintsville? From the looks of things, it's hurt a lot.

Soccer doing well at small independent and rural county school doesn't bode well. When the talent pool that you actually draw from is already small, a sport like soccer coming along and doing well just adds fuel to the fire against football.
JCHSEAGLE Wrote:Several rumors floating around. If BMR steps down I assume Joe Chirico will be the HC after he was named the head coach in waiting to get him back on staff. I still think Runyon will try to coach another year after winning 1 game last year. How many boys does Paintsville have out in weights right now? I also heard Paintsville might be getting a new QB from either Breathitt Co. or the kid from Sheldon Clark.

This is great news if it is true. More kids coming into a program that needs bodies on Friday nights! I wonder how they would compete for the QB job since they already have a QB that has been named all state honorable mention all district 1st team and All area but competition is a good thing and if BMR is still there he will have the best to compete for the job as well as if Chirico is the head man. This is a good upside if it has any validity. Best to the Tiger program, I think they are much improved in 2013
Prater Helton and Joe Goggans were also all state honarable mentions, congrats boys.
What about the soccer effect?
Harry Doyle Wrote:What about the soccer effect?
No question soccer at Paintsville has had an effect on number of players coming out for football. How it plays out no one knows at this point? But eventually wouldn't be suprised
if the Walter Brugh Complex is turned into a soccer/softball complex.

Would hate to see this happen but possible
doubledown Wrote:No question soccer at Paintsville has had an effect on number of players coming out for football. How it plays out no one knows at this point? But eventually wouldn't be suprised

Wont happen. Class A football sees its ups and downs right now paintsville is way down but they will be back.
doubledown Wrote:No question soccer at Paintsville has had an effect on number of players coming out for football. How it plays out no one knows at this point? But eventually wouldn't be suprised

That's what I was thinking. Unfortunately, I know many football programs across the state that are failing and/or not living up to their full potential due to soccer (and, other factors). All things that matter way before anything else that sounds good actually does.
Harry Doyle Wrote:What about the soccer effect?

I don't think that soccer is the blame, they only had 11 or 12 boys on the soccer team and maybe only 2 at the most would play football. The really good soccer players would just leave and play what they love to play. We all beat coach Kinner up on here last year but he must have done something right because he had the kids, maybe not all the talent but kept the numbers. I think he had a plan but nobody wanted to give him another year to prove himself,the junior class this year should have had a winning season but the coaching change kept them from coming out and thats where we need to start at, getting them back as seniors. My son plays and they have not even mentioned lifting to the team yet, so what kind of program does the school want, everybody wants to win and place the blame but no one wants to take charge and get these boys ready. Who is the coach, can anyone answer that.
[quote=3 sport junkie]I don't think that soccer is the blame, they only had 11 or 12 boys on the soccer team and maybe only 2 at the most would play football. The really good soccer players would just leave and play what they love to play. We all beat coach Kinner up on here last year but he must have done something right because he had the kids, maybe not all the talent but kept the numbers. I think he had a plan but nobody wanted to give him another year to prove himself,the junior class this year should have had a winning season but the coaching change kept them from coming out and thats where we need to start at, getting them back as seniors. My son plays and they have not even mentioned lifting to the team yet, so what kind of program does the school want, everybody wants to win and place the blame but no one wants to take charge and get these boys ready. Who is the coach, can anyone answer that.[QUOTE]

Right here is your problem, not soccer. Soccer is just an easy target for people to blame. We have a soccer program and our football is one of the best in the area. I understand we are a bigger school but we still support both instead being against those kids who choose to play soccer. It appears that this is an effort problem by those in charge. I would hate to see Paintsville do away with soccer. Paintsville and JC have developed a good rivalry in that sport.
I hope 3 sport will read this and confirm. I talked to a parent today that said the team is lifting weights now.
Who is running their strength program?
3 sport junkie Wrote:I don't think that soccer is the blame, they only had 11 or 12 boys on the soccer team and maybe only 2 at the most would play football. The really good soccer players would just leave and play what they love to play. We all beat coach Kinner up on here last year but he must have done something right because he had the kids, maybe not all the talent but kept the numbers. I think he had a plan but nobody wanted to give him another year to prove himself,the junior class this year should have had a winning season but the coaching change kept them from coming out and thats where we need to start at, getting them back as seniors. My son plays and they have not even mentioned lifting to the team yet, so what kind of program does the school want, everybody wants to win and place the blame but no one wants to take charge and get these boys ready. Who is the coach, can anyone answer that.

How do you really know? 11-12 kids at most schools could be a huge difference maker and especially at a 1A school.

I see many kids playing soccer at schools who didn't have it 10 years ago, and many of those kids fit the bill for your football skill positions. I noticed where Paintsville went 12-4 in soccer this year and had 16 kids on their roster (all in HS). I don't know much about soccer; actually, nothing. However, the one thing I have taken notice of is that the good teams (or the winning team in a game) has the faster kids. You can't play soccer and be any good if you can't run. An element of speed has to be in the equation. With that said, we all know that you have to have speed in football as well.

12-16 kids playing soccer who I'm sure also have relatively the physiological make up of many of the skill types on Paintsville's football team has to put a hurt on things.

The first year of boys soccer at Paintsville was in 2008. Since then, the football team has also dropped to a low that's maybe never been seen before in the history of the program in terms of numbers and overall record. (and, I hate the phrase I'm about to end with, but..."just sayin'."
Fly Like a Duck Wrote:How do you really know? 11-12 kids at most schools could be a huge difference maker and especially at a 1A school.

I see many kids playing soccer at schools who didn't have it 10 years ago, and many of those kids fit the bill for your football skill positions. I noticed where Paintsville went 12-4 in soccer this year and had 16 kids on their roster (all in HS). I don't know much about soccer; actually, nothing. However, the one thing I have taken notice of is that the good teams (or the winning team in a game) has the faster kids. You can't play soccer and be any good if you can't run. An element of speed has to be in the equation. With that said, we all know that you have to have speed in football as well.

12-16 kids playing soccer who I'm sure also have relatively the physiological make up of many of the skill types on Paintsville's football team has to put a hurt on things.

The first year of boys soccer at Paintsville was in 2008. Since then, the football team has also dropped to a low that's maybe never been seen before in the history of the program in terms of numbers and overall record. (and, I hate the phrase I'm about to end with, but..."just sayin'."

I can agree with most you said. in 2012 my son played soccer and that team went 18-2 and lost in a shoot out in the Regional Championship. There were a lot of kids on that team that could have helped the football team. But, MOST (including my son his SOPH year), quit football becaused he didn't want to play.
His reason was watching his cousins and older friends that were great football players live the "Friday Night Lights". BUT, then also watched them after High School turn into beat up forgotten about heros who have nothing but trouble with their bodies. ONE of the reasons his best friend quit (Who could've been one of the best backs in the area) and a couple of his other classmates.
Of course there are also other reasons (which we won't discuss on here) why others quit.

I can honestly say it wasn't because of soccer though. If there is one thing that Paintsville Soccer Coaches do is allow their players to play football and do NOT discourage against it. They also make their practice and game schedules around football if they have kids that want to play both. Heck they even go to the football games and support their soccer players that play footabll as well as the football team.

Things WILL turn around in the very near future at Paintsville. People just need to be patient.:Thumbs:
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

“Relax, all right? Don’t try to strike everybody out. Strikeouts are boring! Besides that, they’re fascist. Throw some ground balls – it’s more democratic.”

Crash Davis
Soccer is the least of the worries.
OffTheHook Wrote:I can agree with most you said. in 2012 my son played soccer and that team went 18-2 and lost in a shoot out in the Regional Championship. There were a lot of kids on that team that could have helped the football team. But, MOST (including my son his SOPH year), quit football becaused he didn't want to play.
His reason was watching his cousins and older friends that were great football players live the "Friday Night Lights". BUT, then also watched them after High School turn into beat up forgotten about heros who have nothing but trouble with their bodies. ONE of the reasons his best friend quit (Who could've been one of the best backs in the area) and a couple of his other classmates.
Of course there are also other reasons (which we won't discuss on here) why others quit.

I can honestly say it wasn't because of soccer though. If there is one thing that Paintsville Soccer Coaches do is allow their players to play football and do NOT discourage against it. They also make their practice and game schedules around football if they have kids that want to play both. Heck they even go to the football games and support their soccer players that play footabll as well as the football team.

Things WILL turn around in the very near future at Paintsville. People just need to be patient.:Thumbs:

I know as many kids, if not more that did absolutely nothing in high school that suffer from this. Of course, they don't get noticed, because 'doing nothing' in high school doesn't get noticed.

I have nothing against soccer, but it's a lot like basketball (everybody gets to shoot the ball), baseball (everbody gets to field the ball and swing the bat) and soccer (everybody on the field gets to kick the ball, everybody can score; except the goalie, but I guess he technically could. Then, sign him up for the U.S Olympic Team :blabbermo)

That's great that they share the kids (or at least willing to do so) with both sports being during the same season. I know of a school this year, and their starting nose guard was also the 3rd leading scorer on their Region Semi Finalist Soccer team. Their football team also made it to the 2nd round of the playoffs and did well.
TigerBlues Wrote:Soccer is the least of the worries.

Has a lot more to do with it than some of you want to accept.

Bigger school can get by with it (or if you are a small school like Paintsville, you better have a good number of African American Student-Athletes to help counter soccer).

You show me a Class A school that has soccer, yet also does well in football, and I'll show you a Class A school that has some diversity amongst its population as well.

Beechwood- all white, but no soccer.
Fairview- diversity, no soccer.
Mayfield- diversity, has soccer.
Hazard- Diversity, has soccer.
Frankfort- Diversity, has soccer.
Williamsburg- all white, but NO soccer.
Russellville- Diversity, has soccer.

Granted, there are some exceptions to both sides of the rules, but.....

Fact is, Paintsville has one of the lowest Boys enrollments of all football playing 1A schools, as a matter of fact, they are the 4th lowest in that department behind:

Fulton City- 50 (is what it is, why they dont merge with Fulton Co. is another story)
Eminence- 74 (no soccer, relatively diverse)
Dayton- 81 (no soccer, no diversity)
Pineville- 91 (no soccer, no diversity)
Paintsville- 98 (soccer, no diversity)
Fly Like a Duck Wrote:Has a lot more to do with it than some of you want to accept.

Bigger school can get by with it (or if you are a small school like Paintsville, you better have a good number of African American Student-Athletes to help counter soccer).

You show me a Class A school that has soccer, yet also does well in football, and I'll show you a Class A school that has some diversity amongst its population as well.

Beechwood- all white, but no soccer.
Fairview- diversity, no soccer.
Mayfield- diversity, has soccer.
Hazard- Diversity, has soccer.
Frankfort- Diversity, has soccer.
Williamsburg- all white, but NO soccer.
Russellville- Diversity, has soccer.

Granted, there are some exceptions to both sides of the rules, but.....

Fact is, Paintsville has one of the lowest Boys enrollments of all football playing 1A schools, as a matter of fact, they are the 4th lowest in that department behind:

Fulton City- 50 (is what it is, why they dont merge with Fulton Co. is another story)
Eminence- 74 (no soccer, relatively diverse)
Dayton- 81 (no soccer, no diversity)
Pineville- 91 (no soccer, no diversity)
Paintsville- 98 (soccer, no diversity)

When the pool is already thin as is in overall available bodies in the school(not to mention those actually capable of doing any good on the field) , and then you have a sport like football that requires some able bodies + throwing in soccer that takes 16-20 potential skill kids; now you are really thinning things out.

The sharing of soccer/football players is great. I love it. However, the fact is, there aren't too many young men out there who are willing to sacrifice that much. There just isn't.

So, then that leaves the following decision up to kids (and, like it or not, this matters.)

"Let's see, I can go play soccer and run around in shirts and shorts everyday, plus play 2-3 games a week (which means less practice than football) and feel like I'm an important part of the team bc the ball gets passed around to everybody like Mashed Potatoes on Thanksgiving Day......"

..or...

"I can go play football. Practice in the same 90 degree heat like soccer does + wear all this equipment on top of it. Maybe never even score all year long? Maybe never even touch the ball all year? Plus, only play 11 guaranteed games vs. upwards of 20 in soccer?"

Soccer it is.
Duck you have some good reasoning and stats. Bottom line is if Paintsville loses football, they are your next Piarist and no disrespect to Piarist but that is what it will be and it may already be happening. Football parents are discussing possible schools to move to and not only are they football players they play other sports as well and when or if that happens it will destroy all athletics at Paintsville and you are left with Piarist North High School. It's a wait and see now on how many kids play this year but if the numbers are the same or lower you will see an exodus of talent leave in my opinion.
^ Should benefit Johnson Central.
PTP, there are only two kids they want or would like to have
  • 1(current)
  • Next