Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lowering the Target Line
A few weeks ago James Harrison stated that he was going to "Lower the Target" and warned the League that if he is going to be fined for shots above the shoulder pads, he was going to be taking out knees.

Now I know he did not intend it to mean he was purposely planning on injuring or ruin players, but the most dangerous and area that players are most concerned with is their knees. Now, in two consecutive weeks, Ray Nelson of the Bengals has done exactly that. He has made perfectly legal hits on players after a reception which have resulted in a torn ACL of Heath Miller of the Steelers and what may be a torn ACL for Vonta Leach of the Ravens which certainly has a playoff impact for them.

Is this what we are now going to see more of? Look, we all get it, concussions is the major concern of the league and the owners since 2,500 lawsuits are currently are being litigated by former players. But how disastrous could this ultimately be to teams best offensive weapons, the receivers. Is this what we want to see?
Yes we will see more of this, and its legal. Only move the NFL can make next is to ban tackling all together.
I wish the NFL would just give up football and then the NCAA would adopt a playoff system like the NFL. I think it would be much more exciting football to see. I can't stomach to watch the NFL anymore.:Thumbs:
Its virtually impossible not only to play defense but also referee a pro football game.
You cant hit to high, you cant hit to low. Rather, the spleen is the best spot, i guess???

Point being, there is no "good" spot for a 250 pound linebacker to hit you running full speed. I believe every play could be reviewed to get the answer on whether it was intentional. A lot of times, defensive lineman have there hands trying to swim move or something of that nature when they accidentally hit the QB in the head. You also cant control whether or not your going to hit someone helmet to helmet when both guys are airborne. These are what helmets are for! The players union needs to simply address the fact that football comes with a risk. If you dont want to change the game, you take the risk. Last time i checked they do get paid millions of dollars!!! Sign me up and i will never complain about a concussion, nor will i kill myself.
Been discussing this all day with the old man. If you tell defensive guys not to hit high. Then they have to aim low and that where major things can go wrong. Legs getting stuck under the tackler, cleats getting stuck in the ground, and so many more. And I'm sure when these 300 pound men have their ears pined back running at a QB, they aren't thinking of oh I got to hit him here.
Maybe the NFL needs to create a flag football league.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
^
That's what its turning into.
IMO you fix this by going back to the fundamentals of tackling. I get what James Harrison was saying but he is big enough to wrap someone up, not sure why he needs to hit people at the legs.
Jarons Wrote:Maybe the NFL needs to create a flag football league.

They have a ff games once a year called the Pro Bowl!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever."

-Mahatma Gandhi
I never even watch the Pro Bowl anymore. It is a joke.