Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Best Mountain Players You Remember
Old timers talk about the Bird boys from Corbin. Pat Hauser from Knox has a Super Bowl ring. Elmer Patrick from Williamsburg played at UK.
Norm Peterson Wrote:That was Pete Venable.

I thought I remember Pete being there in the mid 70's.

Could he be thinking of Fletcher?
Hatz Wrote:I thought I remember Pete being there in the mid 70's.

Fletcher was his name thanks
Al Holland Jr. QB of Perry Central wasnt to bad. OVC PLAYER OF THE YEAR at EKU. Also played a year at Wake Forest.

Thomas "Pete" Venable played at Somerset from 1975-78. James Fletcher played two seasons for the Jumpers in 1983-84 after transferring from Wayne County.
Fred Bishop Pineville
Ernie House Laurel Co.
John Cole (vandy)
Trey Perkins (EKU)
Trey and Tevin Slaughter - #1 and #4 in all time tackles at Somerset, and albeit recent has beens they were great ball players there.

Around the state:
Ledger (Rock)
Couch (Leslie)
J.J. Jude (JC)
Some recent regional flair there but they could all play!
Chris Deaton from Johnson Central, he was a first team All-American at Marshall

Yes. The playing at UK thing threw me off and I had mentioned Fletcher in an earlier post.
jason micheals from Lawrence Co.
Shawn Grimm was a great back from Johnson Central, as well as Ron Blum. Two completely different backs. Brewer of Fairview reminded me alot of Blum. Big and strong but enough speed to get away. Turner of Fairview had a similar running style to Grimms. Great patience and vision and an unwillingness to go down. Anyone know what happened to Blum or Grimm?
Couch Leslie Co., Rod Feltner Leslie Co., Onzie Sizemore Leslie Co. Bird Boy's from Corbin.
Michael burchett I think was his name? Qb from pburg maybe graduated in spring of 2010. Ryan Howard rb from lc, nose gaurs that played for breathitt in 2006 don't know his name. He was all state. Hunter Adams from Mboro. These are more recent guys but I remember them well
Couple of good Class A guys from the late 70's and early 80's. Isaiah Hill and Tucky Woolum from Pineville and Kevin Bowen from Williamsburg.
Cellking Wrote:Couch Leslie Co., Rod Feltner Leslie Co., Onzie Sizemore Leslie Co. Bird Boy's from Corbin.

Also would add Mike Whitaker, Leslie Co. And Aaron Watts McCreary Central.
Another one people for get about from Knox Co was Mark Canady he was one of the fastest guy I ever seen.
jeff gilliam mc napier greg cawood mc napier tim couch leslie co greg couch scott brock leslie co
R C Thomas, Corbin, unblockable
Gitback Coach Wrote:Frank McDaniel - Cawood
Bimbo Fuson - Middlesboro
Kenny Roark - Middlesboro
R.C. Thomas - Corbin
Steve Bird - Corbin

Brad Durham-Rockcastle Co
BellCoFaithful Wrote:Durrell White should count as Bell County too, I think he only played his senior year at Mboro.

I knew this was coming. Confusednicker:

You are correct though. He was a fine player.
MayfieldCardinal Wrote:R C Thomas, Corbin, unblockable

Yes he was. Unblockable and unstoppable.
Bobby Mcquilham Cumberland The BEST before a bad knee injury.
David Hensley Cawood
Freddie Maggard Cumberland
Ed PeeWee Clark Cumberland
Duramus, Hagney and Honaker Pikeville
- Justin Haddix of Breathitt County was a great one ten years or so ago.

- Brian Williams of Middlesboro was a beast back in the day and was on the last Kentucky team to beat Tennessee (before 2011) in 1984.

- John Ortega was the one of the most well-rounded athletes (not just in football) to come through Prestonsburg.

- Doug Howard of Belfry was dominant.

- John Chapman and Brent Coleman of Pikeville were ones to remember.

- Of course, Shawn Robbins of Bell County.

- Jason Michael of Lawrence County was a machine.

- Scott Blair of Pulaski Southwestern was one to remember. Especially with his record breaking season in 1999.

- David Kelly from Middlesboro had an outstanding career leading the Jackets to the 1998 state championship.

I could go on and on. :biggrin:
Here are the some of the names that i remeber in the last 15 years or more

johnson central: jj jude
lawrence county: michael west
south floyd: brandon little, bj bryant, ketrin mays
leslie county: Tim couch
prestonsburg: jeremy caudill, mattslone, michael fannin, nick jamerson
pikeville: brent coleman, jon chapman, chase gibson
belfry: davin jones, doug howard
Adam Dials SCHS
Does anybody know when the all Mountain Team will be on WYMT?
Micah Caudill from belfry was a good rb and also a few years later his brother Jonah also at belfry and also a rb. Both solid backs with a ton of speed.
And if I am not mistaken Micah actually held the career rushing yards record at Belfry before Jonah came along and took it.
DaBears Wrote:Does anybody know when the all Mountain Team will be on WYMT?

Tonight!!!!
Our own from Clay Co Zach Lewis. All time leading passer In KHSAA breaking Couch'e record. Broke all passing records at MSU breaking Simms records